As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario Kart 8: New Engine Class...WAY TOO FAST

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    2 minutes to kart time. All karts report in.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I almost thought it was mushrooms only until I got that bullet bill at the end there.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I did not realize the pirhana plant item could chomp both my shielding item AND me in one fell swoop. Still learnin things about this game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I really gotta quit boosting myself off the track.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I am getting way too many mushrooms. Mushrooms should be banned from 200cc.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Heh, little out of practice for 200cc it seems!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    I don't think I'll ever be good at 200cc. Just can't react fast enough. Plus my set up is probably far from optimal.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Whoever dunked us in the lava with a lightning bolt on the 3rd lap of Bowser's Castle.... you are super evil. Like, I think this should be your castle now. Bowser has no business owning this structure.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    This whole tournament was basically just a series of unfortunate events for me. Don't think I got above 6th on any races.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Hello again, my old friend third place. Have you been tanning? You look kinda bronze.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Being the only lightweight character in a field of heavies in the first race of the day did not seem to be a good omen for me. Fortunately, I was really consistent this week, but unfortunately, that was me being consistently in 4th place. I also saw 6th place quite a lot as well. At least I did take a couple of wins down, including a really fantastic back-and-forth battle between myself and Courtney on Grumble Volcano.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    Austin was my nephew. I think he was the one that dunked us in the lava.

Catrine and I had a lot of great races. She pulled a lot of great comebacks on me. I look forward to watching the replays.

• Options
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Year 2 Week 5 Results

MlWA77wuYqQqm2t2fs

3ntwcsuefspk.png

5q1ljzhts80s.png

You can find some more granular information at this link.

Check out highlights of this weeks action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaVG3ZSYpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH8--WFVxD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1J7RlGOIA

Thanks to everyone who came out to the races tonight! See you next week!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The score doesn't show close the tourney was. I didn't even know how close it was until watching a replay of the last race.

I'm not sure if they meant to, but both Kupi and Zero showed me mercy by not pancaking my ass on the last turn . If that had happened, Catrine would have won.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    The score doesn't show close the tourney was. I didn't even know how close it was until watching a replay of the last race.

I'm not sure if they meant to, but both Kupi and Zero showed me mercy by not pancaking my ass on the last turn . If that had happened, Catrine would have won.

If you are talking about the Bowser's Castle finish, you were already big again when you got pulled out of the lava, so I stayed the hell away from you. Maybe a glitch on my end? Kupi did pancake my ass though, then Catrine crammed a green shell up it. It was pretty brutal!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Sorry! I was trying desperately to overtake Courtney; beating him by just 2 points would have sold me the win, but it was not to be. I've not played enough recently to really justify using my usual kart set-up at 200cc, I was lucky to come second I think, a fair few times where I only just managed to snatch a race under fortuitous circumstances.

• Options
    edited July 2015

If you are talking about the Bowser's Castle finish, you were already big again when you got pulled out of the lava, so I stayed the hell away from you. Maybe a glitch on my end? Kupi did pancake my ass though, then Catrine crammed a green shell up it. It was pretty brutal!
    I don't think it was a glitch. I've come to learn not to always believe what I see online.

In my screen, I couldn't tell if Kupi flattened you or you hit by the boulder. Anyways, here is a pic right before we start the last turn.

MlWA77w3k1wYnCKfmq

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    That's so weird! It was total opposite on my end. You were big and I was small. That's a new one.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    Wednesday already? Join us tonight 10 PM Eastern / 9 Central / 8 Mountain / 7 Pacific / 2 AM GMT (secret entry code 7361-4828-4040) for a round based on old vaudevillian traditions. Vehicles are limited to the Sneeker kart and items to bananas. Who will be able to keep their footing?

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    Well, I put my best foot forward, but I kept getting kicked. When it comes to online, I wish Nintendo would stop dragging their feet.

• Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    @MiserableMirth: Were you losing connection?

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    I was done with that the third race in. Didn't even win a race. Did manage to hit Corey in the head with a banana again so I guess it wasn't a total loss. :biggrin:

• Options
    CGHCGH Registered User regular
    I uploaded a couple of replays of tonight's races because I liked the finishes.

In this first one, bananas littering the road kept thwarting my attempts to pass Nick during the second half of the race, but I finally pulled off a draft on the final turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7USKrWXnoE

In the second, which was the final race, I led the whole way except for the most important moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfFcppDVN2g

I'm going to pretend that cravipat ended up throwing his wii remote through his television just after the 6 second mark of that replay since he ended up not finishing the race (I assume). I don't know if he was even in control at that point though.

And now hopefully he will never limit items to those that start with the letter B ever again.

• Options
    CGH wrote: »
    And now hopefully he will never limit items to those that start with the letter B ever again.

Yes, from now on it's Tilt Control only rounds :biggrin: I should have stuck with roller wheels instead of going for all speed. That last race I just gave up and started harassing the AI by sitting lengthwise on the launch ramp after the first set of turns.

Here are the results.

Tw2eS4s.jpg

Next week will be a normal round, 150cc/all items. I've set the number of races to 12 just to test it out. We can always stick around for more if it's going well.

• Options
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Year 2 Week 6

START YOUR ENGINES! Year 2 Week 6 races begin SUNDAY July 12th from 6 PM to 730 PM Central (7 PM to 830 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 530 PM Pacific, 11 PM to 1230 AM GMT). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Based on this week's poll results, The settings poll has been retired, but it may return in the future. Until then, here are the race settings:

WARNING: If you do not have DLC Pack 1 & 2 installed, NO KART FOR YOU.

MlWA77yYsXw2s6lhwu

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 6987-9166-8350. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 1.5 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. CPU opponents have been activated, they will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

As always this tournament is open to future changes -- There is a weekly poll for everyone to vote on basic race settings. If you would like to see changes that are not available via the poll, please post your suggestions in this thread.

Upcoming Tournaments
    • 06/28 Week 4: Mirror Normal Items
    • 07/05 Week 5: 200cc Normal Items
    • 07/12 Week 6: 150cc Normal Items
    • 07/19 Week 7: Mirror Normal Items
    • 07/26 Week 8: 200cc Shells Only

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Sadly I won't be able to make it tonight. Celebrating my brother's birthday. But I hope you all have some great races!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    10 minutes to kart time.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I think banana peels are the bane of my existence. Whenever I get to 1st place, sooner or later, banana peel.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Goddamn that lag; by the end I figured there was no point trying to hit people with any items, 'cos they were almost certainly not where my screen said they were.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Bleah, terrible showing from me this week. Maybe I should just stick with my usual builds. As it was this week, I was completely unable to keep up with everyones' paces, even with the help of items. I'm gonna need more top speed next week, I think.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Good games! That was some pretty fierce karting.

And a lot of seeing Courtney phasing in and out of existence. :P

• Options
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Year 2 Week 6 Results

MlWA77yc7xYoAtpzgf

8a94cocegoci.png

7wlte4p3jdzq.png

You can find some more granular information at this link.

Don't have time to do a bunch of highlights tonight but I wanted to share this one not only because it was my only win of the night against the night's full roster, but also because of how hard this week's champ Courtney got Mario Kart'd just before the finish line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKOdhq25h5I

Thanks to everyone who came out to the races tonight! See you next week!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Lots of good luck for me last night. My last race, DK Jungle, I missed the glider ramp shortcut, and what do I find on the other side? A star.
    Goddamn that lag; by the end I figured there was no point trying to hit people with any items, 'cos they were almost certainly not where my screen said they were.
    Your aim was spot on here!

MlWA77yoLRotsHq8mh

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    I have a confession: Grumble Volcano came up as a choice online and I didn't choose it. Quite possibly the most shameful thing I've ever done.

I was also reminded of how much I dislike playing on the 2 player split screen. I just can't get used to the narrow view. 3 or 4 players with the lower frame rate is fine though.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I just started playing Frantic Mode without knowing what it was. It's "actually get good items" mode! This is great!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I'm not cravipat but here's a reminder for tonight's weekly Wednesday tournament starting at 10 PM Eastern / 9 Central / 8 Mountain / 7 Pacific / 2 AM GMT. Use code 7361-4828-4040 to join the room if you never have before.

There's no restriction on character or setup this week. 150cc and normal items. Only 12 official races so it'll be a shorter session than usual.

I'm probably going to play a few 200cc races afterwards if I can find any since I've become re-addicted to them this week, so feel free to join me for those if you'd like as well.

• Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I really did forget it was Wednesday.

For a good 200cc fix there is a public tournament for it that is always running

• Options
    Damn you Corey!

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Some really close games thus far.

The hell? That was really odd what happened in the lobby there.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Them be a good set of races we just done.

In a few minutes I'm going to be in the common public 200cc room or be sitting in one by myself if anyone wants to play with me.

This discussion has been closed.