As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario Kart 8: New Engine Class...WAY TOO FAST

• Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Year 2 Week 10
    ALERT - THE TOURNAMENT LIVES: Starting 8/9 the tournament has a new code! See the pic below for the update!

START YOUR ENGINES! Year 2 Week 10 races begin SUNDAY August 9th from 6 PM to 730 PM Central (7 PM to 830 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 530 PM Pacific, 11 PM to 1230 AM GMT). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Here are the race settings:

WARNING: If you do not have DLC Pack 1 & 2 installed, NO KART FOR YOU.

aMkMcRy.jpg?1

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 4126-1647-6048. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 1.5 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. CPU opponents have been activated, they will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

Upcoming Tournaments
    • 07/19 Week 7: Mirror Normal Items
    • 07/26 Week 8: 200cc Shells Only
    • 08/02 Week 9: 150cc Normal Items
    • 8/09 Week 10: 150cc Frantic Mode
    • 8/16 Week 11: Mirror Normal Items
    • 8/23 Week 12: 200cc Bananas Only
    • 8/30 Week 13: 150cc Normal Items

Raziel_pm on
    Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It lives!
    As I said I've got a new job so I didn't have chance to check the thread much over the week.
    11pm is still a tad late for me given how early I've got to get my carcass out of bed on Monday morning but I'll certainly give it a shot, I enjoy playing with you all. Probably not this week though, trying to return on a frantic mode week sounds like a recipe for disaster.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Raziel_pm wrote: »
    Great! @AbsoluteZero, am I able to edit the spreadsheet from the current link or do I need to do something else with it?

@Raziel_pm I'll PM you with a link that will allow you to make edits shortly. Thanks for taking the reigns!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Hooray and huzzah!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    This voting is weirdly unanimous!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Jesus Rainbow Road 64 was fucking insane. At least it felt like it to me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ugh, two lightning bolts in a row. What the hell

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    More like absolute devastation. Damn!

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Mmm, it's good to be back. I marked down eight races as being highlight potentials, I guess Frantic Mode will do that. Rainbow Road 64 was heartbreaking, going from 1st to 9th in the last third of the race. I got a very nice Super Horn at the beginning to take down three racers for the early lead, but after one of my triple shells got knocked out, two consecutive red shells weaved into the gap and it all cascaded down from there. I also have to apologize to Kupi for Mario Kart Stadium - I think we both sabotaged each other in the last lap, there. Whoops!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I wish I hadn't forgotten to clear out my favorites since the last time I actually bothered to upload something, because deflecting a red shell with a bob-omb at the last second is always worth saving.

And, yeah, Frantic items leads to all kinds of hilarity. I think I mostly won that Rainbow Road 64 exchange... started in sixth and went up to second off of everyone ahead of me exploding simultaneously.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I'm glad I was able to get first place on Mute City, my only one of the night. I actually felt like I did better than I usually do. I'll get some replays up soon.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That was the best night I've had in a long time! And holy crap that Rainbow Road 64 finish with Kupi... I thought I was toast when I missed that last boost pad, no idea how I managed to stay a few microns ahead of you.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Haha, yeah... I mean, I was able to beat you one time, AbsoluteZero, but it took you getting blueshelled on two consecutive laps and a set of triple reds to pull it off. XD

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    A couple close finishes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L997Cf87NiA
    Rainbow Road 64 carnage and a quantum finish with Kupi hot on my tail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-OAo8l4Uo
    Just barely snuck ahead of skeldare thanks to the shortcut leafs on Cloudtop Cruise

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Year 2 Week 10 Results

8yssyW8.jpg

https://youtu.be/aolhA3RIz7U

https://youtu.be/xRr1EwRp5c4

The insanity of Rainbow Road!
    https://youtu.be/sRrbDCRAE0E

https://youtu.be/nKPlz8_mZ-U

You can find the Year 2 LTD stat sheet here

Thanks to everyone who came out to the races tonight! It's great to see plenty of interest (and rubber!) still burns for the game! See you next week!

Raziel_pm on
  • Options
    Woop woop! Feels like an eternity since I took first.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Further proof that Kotaku is bad and should feel bad:
    http://kotaku.com/a-defense-of-mario-kart-8s-unpopular-battle-mode-1723176184
    I’m here to say: Battle Mode, as it stands, is already fantastic, and the part of the game I still go back to after a year of playing. It does not need fixing. You do.

No! Bad Kotaku! Now go to the corner and think about what you did...

(To summarize: Battle mode is still about popping balloons so I don't know what your problem is. The maps aren't even important anyways... It must be that you don't know how to play Battle Mode right and think you're supposed to be racing, so let me patronize you with tips about breaking and turning and hiding...)

Edit: Also while I have barely touched Battle Mode because it is awful, I'm pretty sure he's wrong about the no red shell thing. I recall seeing them what little I've played. And God help you if they don't exist on those giant ass tracks.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Yes red shells exist in battle mode although the hell if I can guess what logic they use for targeting. Battle mode would be great if it had proper arenas. In fact, I'd say that's the only factor keeping it from being the best battle mode ever, rather than the worst.

Also Kotaku can die in a fire.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    Tonight is the first night of the rest of it's life. The Wednesday tournament is hooked up to life support running at 200cc with normal items. I'll let it go as along as it's needed or until someone else starts up a newer one.

I'll probably just play a bit in the public matches tonight if anyone wants to join up that way instead.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    CGHCGH Registered User regular
    Was that a coincidence that we ended up in the same room, cravipat? I had tried to join you but it wasn't working so I just played a random room instead. There you were anyway.

• Options
    It must have been because my room was full. I was going to leave the game but I checked the main friends list and saw you on. In the MK friend list you weren't listed as racing. So I joined a room and there you were

• Options
    CGHCGH Registered User regular
    I was going to call it quits no matter what, but being blue shelled twice and winning anyway was a good way to go out.

It seemed like overall we both did pretty well.

• Options
    I got a first place so I'd call it a success.

• Options
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Year 2 Week 11
    ALERT - THE TOURNAMENT LIVES: Starting 8/9 the tournament has a new code! See the pic below for the update!

START YOUR ENGINES! Year 2 Week 11 races begin SUNDAY August 16th from 6 PM to 730 PM Central (7 PM to 830 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 530 PM Pacific, 11 PM to 1230 AM GMT). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Here are the race settings:

WARNING: If you do not have DLC Pack 1 & 2 installed, NO KART FOR YOU.

2ZNI07J.jpg

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 4126-1647-6048. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 1.5 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. CPU opponents have been activated, they will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

Upcoming Tournaments
    • 07/19 Week 7: Mirror Normal Items
    • 07/26 Week 8: 200cc Shells Only
    • 08/02 Week 9: 150cc Normal Items
    • 8/09 Week 10: 150cc Frantic Mode
    • 8/16 Week 11: Mirror Normal Items
    • 8/23 Week 12: 200cc Bananas Only
    • 8/30 Week 13: 150cc Normal Items

• Options
    Won't be able to make it tonight. Responsibilities. Being an adult sucks sometimes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I was planning on trying to make it tonight, but I really can't justify it, by the time we're done racing I'll only be able to get, like, 6 hours sleep at best, I just can't do it I'm afraid.
    Have fun though!

• Options
    Been a bit busy this weekend, but I'll be able to make it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Hoo, the ending of that one was harrowing!

• Options
    I am all over the place today. I think I like it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yep, still bad at Rainbow Road. Especially mirrored.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Damn Koopa Troopa!

• Options
    Good games, even if it was a small crowd. I'm going to post some of my best races soon.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    You placed first at least a couple times by my count.

I had a bit of a melt down at the end but had a lot of fun nonetheless.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The session started out a little bit slow, but there were some fantastic races there in the middle of the set. The final standings were quite close and the distribution of race wins was quite even. It was a good competition, as always.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Year 2 Week 11 Results

gpgKwmz.jpg

You can find the Year 2 LTD stat sheet here

Thanks to everyone who came out to the races tonight! It's great to see plenty of interest (and rubber!) still burns for the game! See you next week!

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Man, tonight was the WORST for me! LOL!

I was doing so well on EVERY race, until one hit would knock me out of 1st or 2nd all the way to 5th or 6th.

#ThatsMarioKart

Raziel_pm on
  • Options
    Nice highlights!

Playing some 200cc right now to practice for this weekend and because iiiiits been awhile.

• Options
    I'll probably be on again in the general rooms tonight. It was nice playing in a room with more than 3 people.

This discussion has been closed.