As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] VII 100% legitimate and happening remake. Yes, really.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Got Aeris up to 21 with today's event and was finally able to complete the Normal ranking of the magicite event. Got both Mythril and one 4* Growth Egg to use on someone. Don't know who.

Rest of the party is Tyro at 24, Kain at 25, Cloud at 25, and Rydia at 24.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I'm actually getting tired of farming magicite. But I need greater orbs and regular orbs. But I kind of want to resume building a FFV team for Elite Dungeons, so I'm ready for the new classic dungeons that are coming out. Decisions, decisions.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Just got the notification in game that they're releasing FF1 and FF2 classic and elite dungeons, which means (hopefully) 10 more easy mythril. And new abilities. Maybe ***aga spells? Maybe some more Monk skills for Tifa and Samurai skills for Sephiroth?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 10 more easy mythril. Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

This is all I need to read. :)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So, since the FF5 Job Fiesta is nearly upon us once again, I'm doing some practice. I got thief for my first job this time. Help. I only have two knives, and I don't think I can damage race karlabos or siren like this. What do?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I recently documented my recent FF7 run on this forum and let me tell you, it holds up. It might be nostalgia, but unlike my FF4 run, I enjoyed it all the way through. Even the gil farming. FF7 fights are speedy, you have LOTS of customization options during your regular run, that soundtrack, that cast (except you Caith Sith), and I could go on. Seriously, replay that game.

Also, I grew bored of that magicite grind too. I started knocking out all these Elite dungeons and I'm up to 42 stamina right now. I might craft that Shiva summon after all.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    I recently documented my recent FF7 run on this forum and let me tell you, it holds up. It might be nostalgia, but unlike my FF4 run, I enjoyed it all the way through. Even the gil farming. FF7 fights are speedy, you have LOTS of customization options during your regular run, that soundtrack, that cast (except you Caith Sith), and I could go on. Seriously, replay that game.

Also, I grew bored of that magicite grind too. I started knocking out all these Elite dungeons and I'm up to 42 stamina right now. I might craft that Shiva summon after all.

Oh, I'm absolutely certain it would be a blast to play through again! Just, eye-scraping. I keep hoping for a re-master edition, but that's an overly optimistic thought right?
    Just got the notification in game that they're releasing FF1 and FF2 classic and elite dungeons, which means (hopefully) 10 more easy mythril. And new abilities. Maybe ***aga spells? Maybe some more Monk skills for Tifa and Samurai skills for Sephiroth?

New dungeons would be excellent! Magicite, yeah... that grind got old pretty quickly being laid up on the couch for a few days. And doesn't hold any real feeling of accomplishment past getting Aerith; 'Oh, I just ground out enough lesser power orbs to make... Aim?.' I guess I preferred the large ladder fight climbs, even without the nifty rewards.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    It's curious that we haven't heard anything about FFVII on PS4 since that last troll teaser.

I highly doubt they're backpedling to add more features and polish and/or reacting to the largely negative reception.

But stranger things have happened. If they at least retranslated the script I would gladly buy it.

Yeah, everything surrounding that FF7 PC edition on PS4 nonsense is pretty weird, from their bizarre expectation that this was a thing people wanted, their clear lack of understanding as to what people were going to think when they announced FF7 on PS4 and then showed it to be just the PC version, and then the total radio silence on it since then.

I can't help but wonder, what if they just decided not to do it based on the reaction?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    maybe porting a 17 year old pc game to the ps4 proved too technically challenging for square

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    maybe porting a 17 year old pc game to the ps4 proved too technically challenging for square

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Isn't VII one of the games for which Square lost all the source code?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'd sooner put the blame on Sony. The PSN version is sitting right there. There's little reason it, and by proxy every single other PSN game can't be on the PS4, yet here we are.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I'd sooner put the blame on Sony. The PSN version is sitting right there. There's little reason it, and by proxy every single other PSN game can't be on the PS4, yet here we are.

I mean, there is a reason, whether we like it or not: they haven't developed any kind of emulation on PS4 yet.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    So, since the FF5 Job Fiesta is nearly upon us once again, I'm doing some practice. I got thief for my first job this time. Help. I only have two knives, and I don't think I can damage race karlabos or siren like this. What do?

The Moldwynd enemies in the Wind Shrine drop Elixirs, so you can farm up as many of those as you need to make it through.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Eh, rebuilding the overworld to modern open world standards alone would take a very long time. Plus money. Always money.

not gonna touch the backwards compat/first-party emu thing though, it's such a dead horse topic.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Why must I keep buying Curtain Call DLC?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Why must I keep buying Curtain Call DLC?

I, and this is 100% true, sold the game specifically because I couldn't stop buying the DLC. It was just getting downright silly.

• Options
    I bought a few things of Curtain Call DLC and that was it. Triple Triad song, both TWEWY songs, and two Bravely Default songs. Then I found out that if I wanted to get any further in the game I would need to do Ultimate and also that if I lost a single fight in the ranking mode I would go back down to 0 in that tier. So I stopped playing.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    The key to surviving Ultimate is to assemble a team of healers, stacked with as much healing and protective buffing abilities as you can. That'll prevent you from failing within seconds of missing a few notes. This strategy made me go from failing miserably every single Ultimate songs to clearing most of them with a C or better.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Speculation based on the Japanese update timing suggests that it'll be a heck of a lot more than 10. Apparently the first content patch in Japan was massive.

Really hope I can finish up the current set of elites before the patch hits. Just two left, but they're both FFVI, and my FFVI gear isn't so great. And holy cow, the trash in these stages is murderous...

Billmaan on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Speculation based on the Japanese update timing suggests that it'll be a heck of a lot more than 10. Apparently the first content patch in Japan was massive.

Really hope I can finish up the current set of elites before the patch hits. Just two left, but they're both FFVI, and my FFVI gear isn't so great. And holy cow, the trash in these stages is murderous...

Yeah, I think I'm going to finish getting Great Summon Orbs and then stop farming magicite. I really want to start clearing the Elite Dungeons, and before I can do that, I need FF5 and FF6 sets.

Running the Hard Sea of Elements today, the orb returns are pretty good, but whether I clear the stages or not basically depends on who goes first, which seems to be random. If I go first, I can usually clear a wave of enemies. If they go first, they hit for ~80% of my health.

• Options
    physi_marc wrote: »
    The key to surviving Ultimate is to assemble a team of healers, stacked with as much healing and protective buffing abilities as you can. That'll prevent you from failing within seconds of missing a few notes. This strategy made me go from failing miserably every single Ultimate songs to clearing most of them with a C or better.

I can already survive Ultimate. I just start reacting to the notes rather than thinking about them. I still screw up in the song at some point so the best I've been able to achieve is an A. This is not good enough for rankings when they also toss in the attacks, especially when the AI gets the Death attack every single time because it's cheating.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    physi_marc wrote: »

I can already survive Ultimate. I just start reacting to the notes rather than thinking about them. I still screw up in the song at some point so the best I've been able to achieve is an A. This is not good enough for rankings when they also toss in the attacks, especially when the AI gets the Death attack every single time because it's cheating.

Are you talking about the AI Battles in Versus Mode? I stopped when I got to Platinum class because, yeah, it's pretty much B.S.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Mackenzier wrote: »
    FFRK really has me itching to play through FF4, FF6, and FF7 again -- especially FF7, because I've only played it once, long ago. I'm not sure I can handle the graphics, though...early 3D has not aged well.

That is honestly what keeps from revisiting VII even though it is my third favourite installment of the series... I can always appreciate good pixel sprites, but those poly-models. :?

I played through it last summer on Steam. Dunno, the nostalgia kicked in, the graphics didn't bother me.

Yeah, I think I'm going to finish getting Great Summon Orbs and then stop farming magicite. I really want to start clearing the Elite Dungeons, and before I can do that, I need FF5 and FF6 sets.

Running the Hard Sea of Elements today, the orb returns are pretty good, but whether I clear the stages or not basically depends on who goes first, which seems to be random. If I go first, I can usually clear a wave of enemies. If they go first, they hit for ~80% of my health.

The plants with their seed shots are brutal. Nothing like both targeting Aerith one after another.

• Options
    Shamus wrote: »
    Mackenzier wrote: »
    FFRK really has me itching to play through FF4, FF6, and FF7 again -- especially FF7, because I've only played it once, long ago. I'm not sure I can handle the graphics, though...early 3D has not aged well.

That is honestly what keeps from revisiting VII even though it is my third favourite installment of the series... I can always appreciate good pixel sprites, but those poly-models. :?

I played through it last summer on Steam. Dunno, the nostalgia kicked in, the graphics didn't bother me.

The plants with their seed shots are brutal. Nothing like both targeting Aerith one after another.

The Garuda's (the single enemy dragons) also hit like a truck.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    As much as I like FFRK, it's laggier than any other game or app I have on my phone, and thus makes me not want to play it. It's worse than Hearthstone.

• Options
    Yeah I generally run with honed Fire/Lightning and the two Strikes for this daily. The lack of synergy, I haven't seen a single FFX weapon, hurts.

• Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    Trying to remember how I got through Tora Canal as Thieves (drew them as my starter last year). As I recall, for Karlabos, I had the Knife wielder attack while everybody else punched it and tossed Potions after a Tail Screw. For the Siren, the Skeletons in the Ship Graveyard drop Daggers and Potion spam works wonders while it's undead. My memory of defeating Karlabos is hazy, so just adjust as you need to. Siren dropped fast for me though.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Just pulled the Guard Stick. Can't wait for the weapon upgrade daily.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Finished all the normal dungeons today and got enough myth rick for my first 11 draw. Nothing spectacular but now everyone is in 4-5 star armor and 3-4 star weapons. Did the first elite dungeon pretty easy but these stamina costs are nuts

The gear upgrades feel like a huge boost. I may actually be able to get the second event chars easier next time around.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    I honestly just spend my 5 mythril as I get them. Waiting to get 50 would just stunt my progression arbitrarily considering there's no guarantee that "free" draw would be anything good to have been worth sitting on the mythril for.

So far I've been getting decent draws. King's Crown, Maneater, and the 5* Genji Shield is always nice.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Saving up for the draw 11 is okay once you've already done the normal draw 1 enough to get everyone at least decently geared. It's kind of crazy to start saving right away, though.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Saving up for the draw 11 is okay once you've already done the normal draw 1 enough to get everyone at least decently geared. It's kind of crazy to start saving right away, though.

But, but, value! Also, the content on the way to my first 50 mithral wasn't so challenging that I couldn't clear it with 1 and 2 star gear.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly the normal dungeons weren't hard. I only learned about upgrading gear to unlock tifa on that boss and then I was grossly overpowered for the story dungeons. Even guard scorpion I think I could have autod to death in my first elite.

I'll probably just start using them as I get them now because it's pretty much a game of incrementally better stats from this point forward

• Options
    Baron Castle Elite is done. Cagnazzo is a chump compared to Baigan.

• Options
    Yeah, currently saving up for another 11 draw. Siren in FFV's Ship Graveyard is currently handing my ass to me.

I have Kain, Cloud and Sephiroth all at 38 with FFV weapons, Cecil at 37 isn't sync'd with anything, but his SB helps and Rydia at 43 is just in the back with Cura and Fira.

I'm hitting her with everything I have and she still just wrecks me. I haven't bothered with trying to use Slow since it rarely seems to work. Mog's tip ion the game over screen is useless because he says to Silence her, though she seems immune. Trying to brute force it with Jumps, Double Cuts, Fire Strikes and Firas and she still takes me out.

Hopefully when the new abilities come out, it'll really trivialize her fight by sheer numbers.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    What's the best place to pick up spare Protect Vests? I need some trash ones to feed to my good ones to mitigate some of the crazy damage on Hard in the event...

• Options
    What's the best place to pick up spare Protect Vests? I need some trash ones to feed to my good ones to mitigate some of the crazy damage on Hard in the event...

You can buy some for cheap in the Aeris event with magicite.

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Yeah, currently saving up for another 11 draw. Siren in FFV's Ship Graveyard is currently handing my ass to me.

I have Kain, Cloud and Sephiroth all at 38 with FFV weapons, Cecil at 37 isn't sync'd with anything, but his SB helps and Rydia at 43 is just in the back with Cura and Fira.

I'm hitting her with everything I have and she still just wrecks me. I haven't bothered with trying to use Slow since it rarely seems to work. Mog's tip ion the game over screen is useless because he says to Silence her, though she seems immune. Trying to brute force it with Jumps, Double Cuts, Fire Strikes and Firas and she still takes me out.

Hopefully when the new abilities come out, it'll really trivialize her fight by sheer numbers.
    She is immune to silence. She's vulnerable to slow, paralyze, darkness, and poison, though out of those, only slow would really be useful. She's also vulnerable to stop...which is applied by Aerith's soul break.

You might want to start running a dedicated healer. If you have Aerith at a decent level, she'd be the clear choice; if not, Tyro with the Light Staff should be fine. This would let you do some healing while keeping Rydia free to nuke every turn. You could also have the healer drop a few heals on Siren when she turns undead. You may also want to consider running either Tidus or Wakka for Boost (or you can stick it on Aerith or Tyro). Boosted fire strikes are a thing of beauty. Tidus's soul break would also be a convenient source of slow.

• Options
    I keep hearing about how Tidus is a really good character but I just cannot bring myself to put him on my team because I kind of hate him.

• Options
    I have Aerith at 25, but also have a lot of Exp. Eggs if I *need* to pump up her levels. It may be worth doing for that SB and her varied skills. I never messed with Boost much because when the game was still in soft launch, it didn't seem to do much, if anything. I'm sure it got patched since then to actually be effective however.

This discussion has been closed.