As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New to Overclocking: Need Help with i7 2600K/ Asus P8Z77-V LX and XMP Settings

Would anyone be aware of any good (step-by-step guides) to overclocking an i7 2600K on this old board?

I've never overclocked my CPU before but, on unlocking my new DDR3 RAM sticks' advertised clock speed (1600 MHZ) by enabling XMP in the BIOS, my MOBO auto-overclocked to 4.3 GHz (from a base of 3.4 Ghz).

Now, this appears plenty stable (30-35 degrees idling, 60-70 degrees using the blend test on Prime95) but I'm wondering what I'd need to do step this up to 4.5 Ghz (I just like round numbers, I guess) and learn something about overclocking at the same time.

Secondly, I'm getting the same issue as the gentleman in this thread.

Anyone have any ideas? This issue seems to lie with the Service Control Manager (supported by the many error events in the Event Viewer) but I'm at a loss and am hoping this is a know issue with a known solution.