As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] is what happens when you meet a man in the alps

19596979899101»

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Apparently the font issue was I was using an illegal number

size=8

not even once

if you want bigger things than 7 you just need to stack them

holy shit

you can also make things super small by using size "0"

and even smaller by stacking them

holy shit

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    its nasty to take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from religion

What? Why?

It's kinda nasty to take pleasure in anything with a sort of "I told you so" kind of manner, is more how I read that.

No one gets their tailfeathers ruffled when someone says they take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from right-wing politics.

My heart is warmed when someone loses the faith in much the same way I imagine a religious person's heart is warmed when they see someone find religion.

I personally think it is presumptuous to hold my view on matters like religion as the one true and correct view point and to think all others are wrong, in much the same way that I loathe it when someone tries to proselytize to me. I think that religion is a deeply personal matter and that everyone is entitled to have whatever they believe respected and not looked down on. The only exception is where someone is being harmed by a view (like parents that won't give their children medicine).

I totally disagree

nobody's free from being looked down on and no point of view is ever entitled respect divorced from its merits

I look down on people who think vaccination causes autism and that ghosts are real

and I don't respect it because what's there to respect?

Your own limitations as a human being.

Abdhyius, looking back on human history, there is almost near certainty that there are beliefs that you and I hold to be totally and utterly true that are just completely false. The truth is that everyone is easily capable of being wrong, no matter how smart they are, no matter how educated they are. I think you can offer that level respect to anyone's position; "I could be wrong". I feel like that should be the basis of any interaction you have with another person.

You can afford someone that politeness. You don't have to bend to their beliefs or act on them in any way, you just have to acknowledge the chance that they may legitimately have information that you do not have.

Because there is not one human being I have ever met who was as smart as they thought they were (myself highly among them).

No I am not going to say "well I could be wrong crystals could be magic" and I'm not acknowledging the chance that they may legitimately have information that I do not have. The basis of interaction with other people are common decency and tolerance, not going around thinking I'm wrong.

Where do you derive your automatic superiority on this matter from? What about you makes it so that you necessarily have had more valid life experiences than this other individual? What makes it impossible for them to be right?

the evidence seems to support it, therefore, it's what I think is probably the truth.

what makes it impossible for them to be right is every reason magic isn't real, I mean, come on. Power of crystal people seem to know jack shit about crystals, as well, so I don't think they hold some secret knowledge

What if the evidence you've seen is false? How much of your knowledge was derived from secondary sources? How much do you take on faith? How impossible is it that somewhere along the line there was a breakdown, somewhere you were lied to, somewhere you were wrong?

Working in science has taught me that science is not nearly as stable of a foundation as it makes itself appear to be; don't get me wrong, I obviously believe it is far and away the best we have and in nearly all matters I tend to defer to it, but science is often wrong, long-held theories are often overturned; that's the entire point of it.

Your external sources, your experiences, are not automatically superior to those of another person. No matter how many other people agree with you, no matter how entrenched a concept is in your mind. You can still be completely wrong.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Why does the chat thread go to 100 anyway

Is it a forum limitation
    after page 100 it becomes the anime thread

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Is it a forum limitation

to prevent the animes

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Apparently the font issue was I was using an illegal number

size=8

not even once

if you want bigger things than 7 you just need to stack them

holy shit

you can also make things super small by using size "0"

and even smaller by stacking them

Defeated by the Firefox minimum font size.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    google tossed up this
    Who wants to read a 200 page thing that's part of a box of shit

I'm very tired today

which seems appropriate

bff3f5eb4ec5d9ef3c1611efb2c36576.gif

pandora's briefcase

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

Is it a forum limitation

it used to be a forum limitation

now it is desperate men holding on to the days of yore

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Oh right good things since probably the last time I was here:

Been dating the same person for 2+ years now, we're still going strong

She's a vet and gives zero fucks about my job, which is a huge plus

Loves animals in general (duh)

And I might propose to her this year once we figure out final job location

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I just sneezed for like a minute straight.

Help chat I'm dying.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I choose to believe it was not the newspaper in early edition that was magic, but the cat that delivered it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    mc_2013___outlaw_star_2_by_vincent_h_nguyen-d5xxwno.jpg

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    anime incoming

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Oh right good things since probably the last time I was here:

Been dating the same person for 2+ years now, we're still going strong

She's a vet and gives zero fucks about my job, which is a huge plus

Loves animals in general (duh)

And I might propose to her this year once we figure out final job location

are you a super propane supplier

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    sounds good zen baby

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2015
    256891.jpg

Vanguard on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    outlaw star
    it took me a few moments

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    WAIT IS IT ANIME TIME

9tigl4.png Me in my office

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    IT'S HAPPENING

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    its nasty to take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from religion

What? Why?

It's kinda nasty to take pleasure in anything with a sort of "I told you so" kind of manner, is more how I read that.

No one gets their tailfeathers ruffled when someone says they take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from right-wing politics.

My heart is warmed when someone loses the faith in much the same way I imagine a religious person's heart is warmed when they see someone find religion.

I personally think it is presumptuous to hold my view on matters like religion as the one true and correct view point and to think all others are wrong, in much the same way that I loathe it when someone tries to proselytize to me. I think that religion is a deeply personal matter and that everyone is entitled to have whatever they believe respected and not looked down on. The only exception is where someone is being harmed by a view (like parents that won't give their children medicine).

I totally disagree

nobody's free from being looked down on and no point of view is ever entitled respect divorced from its merits

I look down on people who think vaccination causes autism and that ghosts are real

and I don't respect it because what's there to respect?

Your own limitations as a human being.

Abdhyius, looking back on human history, there is almost near certainty that there are beliefs that you and I hold to be totally and utterly true that are just completely false. The truth is that everyone is easily capable of being wrong, no matter how smart they are, no matter how educated they are. I think you can offer that level respect to anyone's position; "I could be wrong". I feel like that should be the basis of any interaction you have with another person.

You can afford someone that politeness. You don't have to bend to their beliefs or act on them in any way, you just have to acknowledge the chance that they may legitimately have information that you do not have.

Because there is not one human being I have ever met who was as smart as they thought they were (myself highly among them).

No I am not going to say "well I could be wrong crystals could be magic" and I'm not acknowledging the chance that they may legitimately have information that I do not have. The basis of interaction with other people are common decency and tolerance, not going around thinking I'm wrong.

Where do you derive your automatic superiority on this matter from? What about you makes it so that you necessarily have had more valid life experiences than this other individual? What makes it impossible for them to be right?

the evidence seems to support it, therefore, it's what I think is probably the truth.

what makes it impossible for them to be right is every reason magic isn't real, I mean, come on. Power of crystal people seem to know jack shit about crystals, as well, so I don't think they hold some secret knowledge

What if the evidence you've seen is false? How much of your knowledge was derived from secondary sources? How much do you take on faith? How impossible is it that somewhere along the line there was a breakdown, somewhere you were lied to, somewhere you were wrong?

Working in science has taught me that science is not nearly as stable of a foundation as it makes itself appear to be; don't get me wrong, I obviously believe it is far and away the best we have and in nearly all matters I tend to defer to it, but science is often wrong, long-held theories are often overturned; that's the entire point of it.

Your external sources, your experiences, are not automatically superior to those of another person. No matter how many other people agree with you, no matter how entrenched a concept is in your mind. You can still be completely wrong.

i think the difference is those matters of science we defer to people who have the training and have done the work, we are (/should be) willing to accept might be shown to be incorrect by more thorough or better or whatever research, and that doesn't damage the credibility of the scientific method

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It is time to come out of hiding.

saki-matsumi-yuu-hiding-under-kotatsu.gif

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Help chat I'm dying.

taking you to the vet to be put down

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Help chat I'm dying.

gesundheit

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    gbmUTRB.jpg

At least I'm not the only one who was driven mad by this whole "HELLS KITCHEN HELLS KITCHEN HELLS KITCHEN" thing

im like

the Daily Show is in Hells Kitchen

its p nice

Hell's Kitchen isn't even very Hellish these days, I am told.

Well sure, not anymore, thanks to those plucky Nelson and Murdock boys.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, recycle the thread.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 3.5

@Abdhyius will create the new thread
    @nexuscrawler is backup

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    404610145_FKBZR-1050x10000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.