As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV] I'm Sorry, Rum-ham!

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    Hannibal the show was my first experience of the Hannibal franchise. I'd never read the books and never seen the movies. I decided to correct that over the summer.

Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs are amazing books. Manhunter is less than Red Dragon while Silence of the Lambs the movie matches up to its source. It is superbly acted and directed. In fact, I was wishing that I hadn't already read the book while I was watching that.

About the future of the show
    Are we really expecting Will Graham to stop being a part of the show, eventually? The Will Graham-Hannibal Lecter relationship has kinda been the driving force of the show so far. And although this is Hannibal's show, Will Graham and the fight for his soul are a big reason why I keep watching a show where the bad guy keeps getting away with it every week.

Also, I've only read the Wikipedia synopses, but the series kinda turns to complete shit after Silence of the Lambs.
    Will's whole psychological internal battle will have completely played itself out by the end of this season. They're doing RD so Hannibal has to be locked up by the end, and then S4 will bring in Clarice or someone similar, maybe working with Will.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hannibal the show was my first experience of the Hannibal franchise. I'd never read the books and never seen the movies. I decided to correct that over the summer.

Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs are amazing books. Manhunter is less than Red Dragon while Silence of the Lambs the movie matches up to its source. It is superbly acted and directed. In fact, I was wishing that I hadn't already read the book while I was watching that.

About the future of the show
    Are we really expecting Will Graham to stop being a part of the show, eventually? The Will Graham-Hannibal Lecter relationship has kinda been the driving force of the show so far. And although this is Hannibal's show, Will Graham and the fight for his soul are a big reason why I keep watching a show where the bad guy keeps getting away with it every week.

Also, I've only read the Wikipedia synopses, but the series kinda turns to complete shit after Silence of the Lambs.
    That's a good question.

There are significant aspects of Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, and Hannibal Rising that have been adapted by the show already, or are currently in the process of being adapted. There's no question that Bedelia is standing in for a Hannibal (the book) era Clarice Starling, and Mason Verger is a distinct part of Hannibal as well. As is, I believe, the Italian cop who Will is intermittently working with.

And then last season we have Miriam Lass, who definitely bears a resemblance to Silence of the Lambs era Clarice, although with a significantly less successful career.

So I'm not really expecting it to move away from Will Graham's story, I guess is what I'm getting at. Bryan Fuller has said that, in the theoretical timeline of the show, Silence of the Lambs would be season five at this point, but I don't really know if there's any intent to actually make it happen. So much of it has been chopped up and used in other places.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I feel like I read something about Hannibal (the show) having a hard time getting the rights to Silence of the Lambs.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like I read something about Hannibal (the show) having a hard time getting the rights to Silence of the Lambs.

Yeah, that's true. Which might be another reason they potentially diverge from the script.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Here's the thing. Breaking Bad and Hannibal are both shows about monsters. But when I was watching Breaking Bad, I never hated Walter White because I knew that the show knew he was a monster. The show never glorified him. I knew he was going to eat it in the end. But with Hannibal, I have this real fear that Lecter's going to get away with it all. That he's going to win. And based on the shit I've seen him pull, I really, really don't want that to happen. I don't want him to get captured because he wanted to get captured, or because he decided to amuse himself or anything like that. I want to see him defeated. I know he's supposed to be an incarnation of the devil walking on Earth, but I wanna see Lucifer struck down.

And (book spoilers)
    that's totally what happens in the books! He wins! He gets away with it and gets the happy ending. Fuck that!

And I'm also not sure what kind of new relationships the show would explore if it replaced Will Graham with Clarice Starling. A romantic one? Everything that made Silence of the Lambs special has kinda already been explored on the show. The Buffalo Bill story on its own isn't really all that interesting.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be all that upset if there wasn't a fourth season of the show. I have enough faith in the creators that they could put a pretty unique and worthy spin on the Silence of the Lambs story if they ever take that on. But the ending of Red Dragon, with Hannibal in jail and Will Graham retiring, seems like a pretty good endpoint too.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Here's the thing. Breaking Bad and Hannibal are both shows about monsters. But when I was watching Breaking Bad, I never hated Walter White because I knew that the show knew he was a monster. The show never glorified him. I knew he was going to eat it in the end. But with Hannibal, I have this real fear that Lecter's going to get away with it all. That he's going to win. And based on the shit I've seen him pull, I really, really don't want that to happen. I don't want him to get captured because he wanted to get captured, or because he decided to amuse himself or anything like that. I want to see him defeated. I know he's supposed to be an incarnation of the devil walking on Earth, but I wanna see Lucifer struck down.

And (book spoilers)
    that's totally what happens in the books! He wins! He gets away with it and gets the happy ending. Fuck that!

And I'm also not sure what kind of new relationships the show would explore if it replaced Will Graham with Clarice Starling. A romantic one? Everything that made Silence of the Lambs special has kinda already been explored on the show. The Buffalo Bill story on its own isn't really all that interesting.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be all that upset if there wasn't a fourth season of the show. I have enough faith in the creators that they could put a pretty unique and worthy spin on the Silence of the Lambs story if they ever take that on. But the ending of Red Dragon, with Hannibal in jail and Will Graham retiring, seems like a pretty good endpoint too.

Haha, wow, that's like the exact opposite of my feelings on Breaking Bad vs Hannibal

And I am very much not a fan of one of those shows and very much a fan of the other

• Options
    Anna Chlumsky's character is BASICALLY Clarice

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Wait what no what do you mean Slade Wilson

Slade Wilson's the guy with the mask

oh you fucking show

sig.gif
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

And (book spoilers)

Haha, wow, that's like the exact opposite of my feelings on Breaking Bad vs Hannibal

And I am very much not a fan of one of those shows and very much a fan of the other

When I say I didn't hate Walter White, I don't mean to say that I was cheering for him. But I just... knew that the show was about the downfall of this one man and he wasn't going to come out at the other end with anything resembling victory. His pride and desire for control, the things that made him such a popular and iconic character, would be the things that brought him down.

For the same reason, I choose to believe that Tony Soprano dies at the end. I thought he was an awful, awful person, a ruiner of lives, and I like to think he got what was coming to him.

I know it's simplistic but I guess that's the way I feel.

• Options
    Oh, I know, I wasn't taking that from your post

I just do not feel like Walter White was ever treated as being half the monster that Hannibal is

And of course I consider him to be three or four times the monster that Hannibal is, but that's a personal code of ethics thing

I feel like a far too significant portion of Breaking Bad is structured around framing Walter White as an underdog

Which, even if we know he's a bad person, makes us want to cheer for him, because as a society we absolutely love underdogs

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    And of course I consider him to be three or four times the monster that Hannibal is, but that's a personal code of ethics thing

what, how

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Walter White is The Biggest Asshole In America

but Hannibal Lecter is literally the devil

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Walter White was only the underdog insofar as the show pit him against someone more powerful, and worse than himself. Namely his power struggle with Gus.

But that would always evaporate the moment White would ever be at odds with anyone else, such as Skylar or Jessie, or others he claimed to care about. The show seemed to delve more deeply into his personality and motiviations when going against the latter, and that's pretty normal. How we treat those 'weaker' than us tends to say a lot more than how we regard those with power.

As for regarding Walter as more of a monster than Hannibal, that's just weird.

• Options
    Hannibal has fed people their own body parts because it amused him

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

oh my god lewis black has black hair still.

• Options

Yeah, I have a lot of respect for the devil.

• Options
    Hermano wrote: »
    Hannibal has fed people their own body parts because it amused him

Walter White sexually assaulted his wife, intentionally overdosed a woman on heroin for his own personal gain, and is a literal drug kingpin

That last one is the one that really clinches it for me

Meth is a terrible goddamn thing, that Walter White is directly responsible for distributing to people across the state

Yeah, maybe they would've been doing drugs anyways, but I would still argue that Walter White has an adverse effect on more lives than Hannibal does

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Hannibal also lives in a magic murder world.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »

Yeah, the fact that Hannibal takes place in, ostensibly, the dreamtime, and Breaking Bad is supposed to take place in the real world definitely helps.

• Options
    I like to think Hannibal Lecter and Dr. Henry Killinger would be great friends

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I'm not defending anything Walter did in Breaking Bad, the math business was there before and after Walter was involved, he's a part of a larger problem

Everything Hannibal does is straight up evil that wouldn't happen without him

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I think buying meth and maybe getting addicted is less bad than being hunted and eaten though

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    High school cured me of my math addiction

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ducking autocorrect

PSN- AHermano
  • Options

Yeah, the fact that Hannibal takes place in, ostensibly, the dreamtime, and Breaking Bad is supposed to take place in the real world definitely helps.

Right but the reason it's shown like that is to lessen to an extent how monstrous what happens in Hannibal is? Breaking Bad works in a more grounded setting because Walter's actions are more grounded, less monstrous

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    I'm not even considering real world implications of what Hannibal does. Just the things he does to the characters I like. What he did to Will Graham and Beverly Katz... God, how could anyone want him to get away with that

• Options
    I'm not even considering real world implications of what Hannibal does. Just the things he does to the characters I like. What he did to Will Graham and Beverly Katz... God, how could anyone want him to get away with that

I mean, I don't think anyone does.

From day one, he is treated as the villain of his own show.

I mean, he's Hannibal Lecter, Hannibal the Cannibal, he has a pre-existing popular culture understanding. I don't think it would've been possible to make a Hannibal TV show that didn't treat him as the villain from the very beginning.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    i just started watching hannibal.. it's good, but fuck its habit of following whispery conversations with some nasty high pitched screeching noise. it's not even scary or unnerving, just fucking gratingly annoying

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Why?

He's a petty little shit.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Why?

He's a petty little shit.

I disagree absolutely.

But that might depend on who you are referring to when you talk about "the devil."

And will probably lead to a theological conversation regarding a religion I have little to no actual investment in.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

This is why I can marathon through Hannibal, but have trouble watching more than two episodes of Breaking Bad at a time

It's too real

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    CI10zmZUEAEYeQ7.jpg

Against all better judgement, I'm so in for this.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

This is why I can marathon through Hannibal,

How?! I can't do more than 3 episodes in one sitting without starting to lose grip on reality.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    HBO is doing a fake sports documentary called 7 Days in Hell about a 7 day long Tennis match between two pros (played by Andy Samberg and Kit Harrington) with interviews from actual tennis people and actors like Will Forte.

Yeah

Yeah okay

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPlMM_aSn4
    Stephen Colbert hosted an episode of a Monroe, Michigan public access show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The big difference between Hannibal and Walter White is Walter White is a realistic character where Hannibal is not.

This discussion has been closed.