As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old [NHL] Thread

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I'd love to see the Blues play for the Cup at least I don't think they've played for the Cup in my lifetime (34 years). I'd probably blow a ton of money to fly in from Omaha to see a Cup games in STL if they made it that far. Winning the cup would just be icing on the cake.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Stamkos was on ice today for practice! Albeit in a no contact jersey.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

That is beautiful

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    huh kinda weird to have a second round and a first round game on the same night

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I still think its weird round 1 go to best of 7.

I'm just used to baseballs best of 5.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hockey's had a lot of playoff formats, but we've had best of seven first round for 30 years. http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25433

:so_raven:
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Mirtle with another good piece on fighting.

Should teenagers be fighting adults?

• Options
    Podly wrote: »

I actually can't recall the NHL ever starting a round before the previous round ends. at the very least it hasn't' happened in the last 8 or so years.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I actually can't recall the NHL ever starting a round before the previous round ends. at the very least it hasn't' happened in the last 8 or so years.

yeah i don't think it's happened as long as i've been watching hockey

i love the playoff format except for the fact that they should have gone back to the old school conference / division names when they realigned

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2016

i love the playoff format except for the fact that they should have gone back to the old school conference / division names when they realigned

No, the playoff format as it is right now is awful. This year we have both conferences having a 1v2 matchup in the second round, with the other matchups being 5v6 and either 4v6 or 6v7 depending on who wins game 7 tonight.

wunderbar on
  • Options

No, the playoff format as it is right now is awful. This year we have both conferences having a 1v2 matchup in the second round, with the other matchups being 5v6 and either 4v6 or 6v7 depending on who wins game 7 tonight.

it makes division play much better imo

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Lol bye Kings

Teams play much more games in their own conference and a majority of those games against their own division. Teams play something like 50% of their games against only 6 or 7 other teams. Tougher divisions with more evenly matched teams are going to split points more evenly than divisions with clear cut powerhouses and bottom feeders.

The overall conference standings mean less than the divisional standings.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Lol bye Kings

Teams play much more games in their own conference and a majority of those games against their own division. Teams play something like 50% of their games against only 6 or 7 other teams. Tougher divisions with more evenly matched teams are going to split points more evenly than divisions with clear cut powerhouses and bottom feeders.

The overall conference standings mean less than the divisional standings.

well in that theory the ducks, kings, and sharks should have finished 1,2,3 in the overall conference standings because they feasted all year on the crappy teams in the bottom of the pacific while the stars, blues, and blackhawks had a tougher schedule playing in a tougher division more often, when in fact the opposite was the case.

The best teams will still be the best teams regardless of schedule balance, the playoff format should reflect that. You should never have a mini tournament of the 3 best teams in a conference be decided in the first 2 rounds.

• Options
    Goal!! Lightning!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
  • Options
    God dammit Lightning!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    and the Ducks choke away games 6 & 7 for the 4th year in a row.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    BAHAHAHAHAHAH Ducks

Couldn't have happened to nicer people

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    RIP, my bracket. We hardly knew you.

• Options
    Zach Boychuck, verified player for the Hurricanes is following me on twitter.

Which is pretty werid, cause I've only made, like, 8 tweets in my life. But I did talk to @omgitsdomi (fancystats) last night, so I'm guessing he misclicked?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Zach Boychuck, verified player for the Hurricanes is following me on twitter.

Which is pretty werid, cause I've only made, like, 8 tweets in my life. But I did talk to @omgitsdomi (fancystats) last night, so I'm guessing he misclicked?

no that's a "managed" account that has bots and scripts to follow people who talk hockey based on keywords. his account has followed and unfollowed me 3 times in the last 6 months.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    This is what happens when you use public tax money to enable billionaires.

• Options
    hey that's at least better than one company owning rights to multiple facilities.

Rogers Center for the Jays in the MLB, Rogers Arena for Canucks, and Rogers Place for the Oilers.

• Options

Does this mean it'll get nicknamed The Pizza Box?

Also fuck Rogers Centre. It'll always be the Skydome to me. I still think "Centre" is a stupid name for a baseball stadium. Why not Rogers Field?

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular

I can guarantee you that you won't be getting a full pizza in there for $5 either.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    RIP, my bracket. We hardly knew you.

Holy crap, I thought I was dead in the water too, but I'm still tied for first???

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Still not warming to the Little Ceasars Arena.

If it doesn't end next year, the Wings playoff streak surely ends in the Little Ceasars Arena.

Fairly certain the return of the Dead Things happens at the Little Ceasars Arena.

Pretty sure the Stanley Cup doesn't get awarded to anyone at the Little Ceasars Arena.

Horrible name

Edit: I apparently spelled Caesars wrong. Don't care enough to fix it

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    Just keep it in one of those Hot n Ready ovens for a few hours!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Killing me not being able to watch this game.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Just keep it in one of those Hot n Ready ovens for a few hours!

It should have been the name of Ottawa's arena. The thought of the Senators playing in Ceasar's house amuses me.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Boudreau's out in Anaheim

• Options
    Totally the coach's fault that the goalies that he has had to work with have a .866 SV% in game 7's.

• Options
    Is Colorado going to be smart and hire bruce?

• Options
    Bruce Boudreau is apparently such a bad coach that he keeps getting fired after only a few seasons in charge, but is already linked to new jobs because he is such a good coach.

• Options
    Last time he was unemployed for ~40hours

• Options
    wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's already on a plane to Ottawa.

• Options
    wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's already on a plane to Ottawa.

Ottawa is a budget team. BB was making 2mil in anaheim. Before quinville in Babcock raised the bar. I don't know if Ottawa will pay him enough

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Is Colorado going to be smart and hire bruce?
    Ahahahahahahahahaha....sigh.... :(