As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old [NHL] Thread

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Jets eulogy is up at Puck Daddy. Pretty solid start.

Also, how nervous about this series are Montreal fans right now. The almost impossible is at least starting to feel kind of possible I assume

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Eh they have to lose two more games if they lose today, no way the Senators can pull that shit off.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's not that uncommon in hockey to at least force game 7.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, you guys think the Oilers are going to turn it around, or are they waiting until their entire team is first overall picks?

Well today was a great first step, management has needed some real change for a long time now, not just shuffling the same few guys around.

Personally I wouldn't mind if we traded one/some of the picks this year for some experienced defense.

Trading for good Dmen is hard and expensive. Especially any under contract at reasonable cap hits. Blackhawks gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for Oduya, and he wasn't really expected to play as well as he did in '13 and '14. Or look at the ask from Toronto for Phaneuf.

The more of the Preds I see as this series goes on, the more the Avs, Panthers, and Lighting look like idiots for passing on Jones.

Oh the other hand, trading down three or four places, and drafting Noah hanafin, would net them a pretty nice haul and then they could still draft a potential number one franchise defenseman.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, you guys think the Oilers are going to turn it around, or are they waiting until their entire team is first overall picks?

Well today was a great first step, management has needed some real change for a long time now, not just shuffling the same few guys around.

Personally I wouldn't mind if we traded one/some of the picks this year for some experienced defense.

Trading for good Dmen is hard and expensive. Especially any under contract at reasonable cap hits. Blackhawks gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for Oduya, and he wasn't really expected to play as well as he did in '13 and '14. Or look at the ask from Toronto for Phaneuf.

The more of the Preds I see as this series goes on, the more the Avs, Panthers, and Lighting look like idiots for passing on Jones.

Oh the other hand, trading down three or four places, and drafting Noah hanafin, would net them a pretty nice haul and then they could still draft a potential number one franchise defenseman.

No way it happens. Not that it isn't an entirely rational choice. Domi+OEL+a 2016 first, maybe some more assets to flip for a goalie, etc. The haul could be huge, and could probably help them more faster than McDavid can.

But if McDavid explodes like he is suppose to and the jumpstart doesn't work well enough or fast enough GM is gone. With McDavid their idiot front office has been given a free pass for another 2 or 3 seasons. No matter what they can keep selling the hope.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Finally the fanboyism seems to have stopped on the part of the oiler's owner. Let's see if they do something idiotic like give messier a job.

:so_raven:
    edited April 2015
    I'm not a fan of the lapierre trade. I'd rather have Goc back. But man

Those extremely subtle chicken wings he was flapping at the end of the 2nd period?

Pretty funny.

Edit:

Burtletoy on
    Any time you hear a "the team that scores first wins blah blah out of blah games"

Keep in mind that the team that scores first wins 66% of the time.

The team that scored second wins 68% of the time

The team that scores third also wins 68% of the time.

aka, first goals don't really matter. Scoring goals is the important thing. First goal stats are garbage.

edited April 2015
    Finally the fanboyism seems to have stopped on the part of the oiler's owner. Let's see if they do something idiotic like give messier a job.

Laperriere is an extremely funny dude. He's a jerk on the ice, but his antics are amusing.

Corvus on
    edited April 2015
    Welp. Only a 3 goal differential against the president's trophy team.

While missing 4 of our top 5 starting defensemen.

And Malkin about to have hip surgery.

Not a bad season, boys.

Burtletoy on
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dammit St. Louis, just do your job and get rid of the Wild. Then you can lose in the next round. Though it would be fun to see Stastny get no further than he did last year.

/stillbitter

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Welp. Only a 3 goal differential against the president's trophy team.

While missing 4 of our top 5 starting defensemen.

And Malkin about to have hip surgery.

Not a bad season, boys.

A tougher team than you'd have had us believe. :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Wat.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I get it, but I don't know why anybody would think a team built almost entirely around defense would be some kind of overwhelming offensive juggernaut. The Rangers won the President's Trophy by limiting other teams from scoring and being just good enough on the other end. The game they lost saw them give up four goals. The Penguins didn't play better for five games, the Rangers just played poorly for one.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Wild have a chance to win their first playoff series in front of a home crowd tomorrow. Awesome stuff last night.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
    Woo weird start times! Wings at 6 and then Flames Canucks at 9

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Montréal started the game extremely well but that first goal completely killed them. I'm rather embrassed by my team right now. One lucky goal shouldn't completely change the momemtum of the game.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    I get it, but I don't know why anybody would think a team built almost entirely around defense would be some kind of overwhelming offensive juggernaut.

It's too bad that the team build entirely around defense was missing 4 of their top 5 defenseman.

You were talking about the penguins, right? The team that was in the top 5 in shot suppression in the regular season. Right?

Rangers did tie for second in the NHL in goal scoring, so that could be something to do with the offensive juggernaut thing. Also third in goals against. Shockingly, that's why they had the best differential in the league, which is usually my simple goto stat for playoff success.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2014-06-05/stanley-cup-final-rangers-kings-score-adjusted-fenwick-2014-playoffs
    We only have seven years of data available, but the results are impressive. If you simply picked the better Score-Adjusted Fenwick% team in the last 20 games of the regular season, your record since 2008 is 71-33 (68.2%).

Wings struggling early. I'm afraid.

edited April 2015
    Lucky to not get evened up just before the goal. Lightning will get a power play early in the second, guaranteed.

enlightenedbum on
    4 overtimes for Caps-Isles game 7 please

I look forward to seeing how quickly the Wings can piss this 2 goal lead away

Turns out I'm not a huge fan of watching teams clog up the neutral zone and make things hideous even when I'm rooting for them.

Don't think the comeback is happening again tonight.

Jayricho wrote: »
    Don't think the comeback is happening again tonight.

Probably not

Dammit. I can't even jinx things properly.

1) Garrison should probably get a game for going for Abdelkader's head
    2) Wings got the benefit of a looooooot of non-calls on trips/hooks/etc

1) Garrison should probably get a game for going for Abdelkader's head

Was really expecting to see Garrison in the box on that play rather than Stamkos.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I have a pair of slippers that are so broken I trip on them even just trying to walk.

They really need to be thrown out.

I am currently wearing them right now.

Because they are goddamn Canucks slippers and GO NUCKS GO

Sea of red looks so much better than a white out. Makes more sense too.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Sea of red looks so much better than a white out. Makes more sense too.

White Out makes sense when, say, it's PSU football and there really aren't that many teams that have White in their colours.

But when a good pretty much every other damn team wears white while away it just...... not so much.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    My main man Boychuck with the huge save and Detroit was much better around the net in their own zone.

Go teams #2a and #2b!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Vancouver has 4 shots and 3 goals. How does the mockery of #fancystats feel now Calgary??

Man, what is happening!

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I honestly think Calgary thought the game started at 8 pm

Corvus wrote: »
    Man, what is happening!

Canucks remembered it was a playoff game?