As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: Age of Using Spoiler Tags

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
Hello! This thread is for discussing Avengers: Age of Ultron, which, I am led to believe, involves ages and/or Ultrons.

For the few lucky people who have seen it, fuck you, lucky sons of bitches please use spoiler tags so as not to ruin anything for those less fortunate.

Note: spoiler tags are only necessary for actual spoilers. "It was good" and "it contains robots" are not spoilers.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    sooo in regards to Ultron and .. his bits:
    So yeah his body is made from vibranium in the last bit but he's being fired at with meowmeow, unibeams and the freakin' mind gem. From the little I know from the comics vibranium/adamantium/uru/whatever are indestructible for the purposes of mortal/conventional means. If a god or ultimate cosmic power lay into it, denting or destruction usually occurs.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    This seems like discrimination against Europe and Oceania - when a movie comes out first in the US it just goes in the general thread! :P

But yeah, saw it last night, enjoyed it. As I posted in the other thread, I thought some of the action was less 'weighty' than in CA2 or Avengers 1, but still pretty damn good.

Curious about (ending spoilers)
    whether they had the Hulk disappear at the end so they can reintroduce him in a later movie like Civil War more as a force of nature instead of trained attack dog.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    This seems like discrimination against Europe and Oceania - when a movie comes out first in the US it just goes in the general thread! :P

But yeah, saw it last night, enjoyed it. As I posted in the other thread, I thought some of the action was less 'weighty' than in CA2 or Avengers 1, but still pretty damn good.

Curious about (ending spoilers)
    whether they had the Hulk disappear at the end so they can reintroduce him in a later movie like Civil War more as a force of nature instead of trained attack dog.
    I think it was mostly so he wasn't around for Civil War. Have the fallout from his attack in Africa be part of the story, but Hulk himself is MIA.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    I'm super hyped for Civil War after seeing Age of Ultron, I can tell you that much. Mostly because that movie is only possible in the context of something like the MCU. What a time to be alive.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This genuinely felt like an epic summer Marvel event comic, which is pretty astonishing.

• Options
    There are some huge laughs in this movie as well. Actual wit. Humour arising from personality rather than lines dished out to characters from a wise-ass machine. Human warmth.
    The biggest laugh came from Stark: "I'm sorry."

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    So, was
    Triplett from AoS in the movie?

• Options
    So, was
    Triplett from AoS in the movie?

Nope.
    I only spotted one guy from AoS in the movie. Dr List (played by Henry Goodman), one of the Hydra top guys, the one who wasn't taken out when Coulson turned the high-level guys against each other.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Agreed, I was really hoping
    he would show at some point too.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So, for those of us that watch AoS and know what Coulsons crew has been up to in the last few episodes:
    The thing that had RShield so riled up, what Coulson has been running around setting up. That's the Avengers Academy at the end right? And that Coulson/Fury's plan the entire season was to rehabilitate Shield/announce existence by having it come as the BDH in a big crisis like the end of the Movie?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    So, for those of us that watch AoS and know what Coulsons crew has been up to in the last few episodes:
    The thing that had RShield so riled up, what Coulson has been running around setting up. That's the Avengers Academy at the end right? And that Coulson/Fury's plan the entire season was to rehabilitate Shield/announce existence by having it come as the BDH in a big crisis like the end of the Movie?

If that is the case, then it's not explicitly shown in AoU. Might be yet to come in AoS though.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I thought this was pretty enjoyable.

However Re: Ultron
    I thought his introduction was entirely too quick.

more importantly - his characterisation was entirely too shallow. It was not remotely clear why he went off of the rails. Like, he has a weird evolutionary, natural disasterish view of peace and survival, but there's no clear explanation of why Stark's wishes went all Sorceror's apprentice or the exact logic of his position.

Of course, the fact that Banner doesn't say "are you off your head?" when Stark appears to be finding a way to repurpose an alien AI inside a staff with malevolent powers was also a problem to be the new omnipresent army of super robots to which he intends to hand over the reins really gnawed at me throughout the entire movie.

So, Ultron's origins were very weak narratively. There are fanon explanations you can come up with - like "he was just using the structure of the AI to build one of his own" but that just makes the first part more inexplicable and raises questions as to why Ultron's mind continued to be represented as Blue. And more importantly it was most definitely not shown in the movie, so it's just empty apologia.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    More like Avengers: Age of Adequate.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    More like Avengers: Age of Adequate.

Shots fired!

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    This was a super, duper ok movie. It was kind of Thor: The Dark World type quality. You really came out of it going "...yep."

There's no parts where I thought "man, I need to see that again.", no jokes that really stuck out, no character moments I loved. It was all pretty much fine! I did not have trouble finding parts of the movie to take a pee break in. There are new characters! They are all fine. I do not long to watch another movie in which they star. I think to myself "yeah, that movie would probably be fine".

This was my review of the movie Avengers: Age of Ultron. If I had to give it a mark out of ten, I would think about it for a while. Then my mind would wander, I would forget what I was doing and then make a sandwich.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    "On a scale of 1 to 10, Age of Ultron gets a Sandwich."

Is totally the review I'm telling everyone who asks me if I've read any reviews or heard anything about the movie.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I'd go along with the Sandwhich Rating.

The movie is fine - entertaining, a few good parts, but never great. It's exactly what it says on the tin, but that's all you get, too.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    I felt bad coming out of the film because all I could think of were problems I had with it, which is unfair. If this had been the first Avengers movie I would have said "They did a really good job, it was great". It is, by normal standards, a pretty great movie. It just doesn't meet the standards they've set with the previous Avengers movie, or Guardians. I spent a lot of time mid-level bored. If I'd been watching it at home while working, I would have gotten plenty of work done.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Question about something Thor says
    He says the Mind Stone/Loki's Staff is the fourth Infinity Stone that's turned up. Which is true! You've got the Tesseract, the Staff, the Aether and the one in Guardians of the Galaxy.

But how does Thor know about that one? I know his pals visited the Collector, but isn't that implied to be after Thor returns to Earth?

- Hawkguy. Surprisingly he feels like the emotional core of the movie, especially with the surprise family. I particularly liked the scene where he's comforting Wanda when she's having what looks a lot like a traumatic flashback and gives her a pep talk.
    - Supporting characters from other movies having bit parts. Nice to see Falcon and War Machine turn up. Still, Jane and Pepper being handwaved felt pretty transparent.
    - Stan Lee drinking Thor's Gargleblaster
    - Vision wielding Mjolnir. Set up a pretty fantastic bait and switch when Thor is boasting to distract Ultron.
    - Black Widow and Bruce Banner's relationship. There's something about how they don't think they can be better than they are that adds pathos, and I definitely felt sad when Hulk hung up on her so he's not in Civil War
    - The Hulkbuster fight. "Sorry".
    - Fury getting to the heart of why Tony's vision troubled him so. "And you didn't."
    - Quicksilver rescuing people from the oncoming train.
    - Quicksilver in the police station. I love superspeed.
    - The fact that the reason the final fight goes on as long as it does is because they're busy evacuating civilians. It's like a cinematic rebuttal to Man of Steel.
    - The Thanos stinger. Punchy and to the point. Also o hai Infinity Gauntlet!

Dislikes
    - Quicksilver dying. Had a pretty great last line, saved Hawkeye and gave Wanda a great scene with Ultron, but dammit that made me sad. :(
    - "Ultron". I put this in quotes because he has character and that character is fine, but it's totally undeveloped. He's like Ronan, he comes pre-assembled (hah!) with motivations and we don't get to know why.
    - Thor's arc. With nine primary heroes it's a miracle this film feels so balanced, but Thor going into the Mystic Pool of Exposition kinda falls flat.

Overall it doesn't quite hit the highs of stuff like "Puny god", but it's a well crafted performance that does a great job of balancing everyone, while committing to setting up the story first hinted at in the first Avengers.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Age of Ultron worked pretty well.

And sadly, that is all I felt about it. It was good, but not exceptional.
    And killing quicksilver, instead of a character we actually cared about was stupid. If you kill someone, kill someone who matters.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    I enjoyed it, but found it extremely dense/rushed.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well it was originally 3.5 hours long and got cut down to what we have now.

I'm sure what's missing would have helped with that.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Well it was originally 3.5 hours long and got cut down to what we have now.

I'm sure what's missing would have helped with that.

That explains a lot.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The one thing I really disliked about this was
    married Hawkeye means we're not going to get an adaptation of Fraction's run. Not that it was likely or anything, but I was hoping!

Overall I thought it was good. Certainly not the most memorable of the Marvel films, but definitely enjoyable.

Burnage on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Saw it, loved it. My fiancee didn't like it at all, but she's fairly hit and miss with Marvel movies. She enjoys some, hates others, and I can never figure out the formula she uses for either.

My main issue with it, is as I've read elsewhere, is it's super dense. It hits the ground running, and with the exception of one bit in the middle, it just keeps on trucking. Occasionally it cuts to a new scene almost midway through it, where you can really tell something was cut. I really, really want to see the 3.5 hour cut get a release if it expands on some quieter parts of the film and cleans up some of the scene transitions.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I really didn't like the first Avengers, but thought this was entertaining.

I think there's a lot in here that will appeal to the heavily into comics people. And they really obviously listened to a lot of stuff people on the Internet have been saying about - Hawkeye (why is he even here?), Man of Steel, ScarJo's ass, some other stuff I forget.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    ScarJo seemed to be sidelined quite a bit, I'm assuming due to being visibly pregnant (they had to CGI out her bump).

• Options
    Also

This had the best homage to
    Twilight
    which I found quite droll.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    Could someone tell me in non spoilers fashion how many post credits there are and whether they're worth sticking around for?

Stuff I care about; intros for future movies. Stuff I don't care about: extra gags

• Options
    One, yes.

• Options
    Definitely yes.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Just got in from seeing it, enjoyed it very much. A lot better than the first avengers movie, more heart, more humor. When
    the Vision handed Thor his hammer I lolled hard.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Yeah, some parts did feel a little packed, and some things had less impact than they probably should have, but it was good, solid fun.

And I really appreciate how the final battle managed to be both ridiculously destructive while acknowledging the need to protect innocent bystanders. THAT should be how these movies handle the issue of mass destruction.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Just got in from seeing it, enjoyed it very much. A lot better than the first avengers movie, more heart, more humor. When
    the Vision handed Thor his hammer I lolled hard.

Everybody in my screening(including me) did as well
    It also proves that the Vision is without a doubt a good guy while also playing into the running gag about the hammer itself. Neat bit of scripting that.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    It's an interesting Avengers setup at the end:
    War Machine, Falcon, The Vision and Scarlet Witch. Sort of a B-Team line up.

Also, that last line was such a troll.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    edzepp wrote: »

What last line? Do you mean the one in the mid-credits scene? If not, I don't remember...

Edit: oh wait. I do remember.

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Regarding the end.
    I'm interested in seeing what they do with the new lineup, but really it feels like an odd team. B team is pretty accurate. However if it means we get to finally see War Machine actually do something, count me in.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    About the end, I dunno.
    I think B team is a bit harsh. War Machine & Vision are both pretty tough, half the film was about showing how dangerous Scarlet Witch could be.

Falcon is the only not particularly special one (where was he for the rest of the film anyway?).

I keep remembering so many good lines. Plenty of laughs from the audience.

Also, regarding audience reaction, being an Irish person in an Irish cinema:
    Entire audience was totally bemused by F.R.I.D.A.Y's accent.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I very much appreciated that it was assumed the audience had seen all the films or at least knew the characters, there was no attempt to explain anything at all (backstory wise). Made it seem much more natural.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »

What last line? Do you mean the one in the mid-credits scene? If not, I don't remember...

Edit: oh wait. I do remember.

It was like "Oh crap they're going to do the thing!"

And then they don't. When it finally happens it better be good.