As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game Grumps] This thread is laughably naive.

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited November 2015 in Games and Technology
laXt0pt.png?1

Mod Edit: JonTron has become a source of derails lately, so discussion about him or his show is banned.

You can still link and discuss older Game Grumps episodes featuring Jon, but that's it. THIS INCLUDES MUSING ON WHY JON LEFT GAME GRUMPS. If you wish to discuss JonTron's independent stuff, then go to the general YouTube thread.

YTIUsZU.png

Game Grumps? What the fuck is that?

In a nutshell: two guys playing video games together and doing funny commentary on it.
It is one of the most popular channels on Youtube, with about 1,6 million subscribers at the moment.

They reliably upload 3 videos every day, each one being about 10 minutes long - two Game Grumps videos, one Steam Train video.

Wait, there are two channels now? THIS IS GETTING TOO COMPLICATED, I'M OUT

No wait!

The "main" Game Grumps channel is, well, Game Grumps.

AII4u4V.png

Game Grumps is Arin and Danny playing console games together - expect mostly old Nintendo games here.
They usually have a couple ongoing longer series, where they (try to) complete games, interspersed with "one-offs" which are mostly terrible games they give up on after 10 minutes.

45n056s.png

As the name suggests, Game Grumps VS is them playing games against each other.

V1xYZwV.jpg

Steam Train came to be when Danny and Ross joined Game Grumps. It's basically the same concept as Game Grumps, only it's the Grumps playing PC games.

dMxhGIJ.png

Steam Rolled is basically Game Grumps VS with 4-players. Arin, Ross and Barry will usually be joined by either Danny or Suzy for this.

ph96iei.png?1

Grumpcade is any combination of Grumps (except Arin and Dan) playing console games. Other Youtube folks will occasionally appear here.

1VsXlzI.jpg

Grump Out is their "side" channel where the Grumps basically do whatever the fuck they want.

It's weird.

But wait, there's more!

zU7Rh6Z.jpg

Table Flip is a show hosted by Barry and Suzy where they play board games with other Youtubers. Sometimes the other Grumps join them, sometimes it's people like ProJared or Markiplier. There's usually a new episode every couple of weeks. The episodes are published first on Polaris, but after a while are uploaded to the Game Grumps channel as well.

d9nzg9r.jpg

Star Bomb is a band comprised of Arin, Danny and Brian (of Ninja Sex Party). They released their first album last year, which you can buy here, among other places. It's a comedy / parody band making songs about video games and dicks.

It's great.

Watch their animated music videos here!

Wait..Arin? Barry? Suzy? Who the hell are those people anyway?

The following wonderful people contribute to Game Grumps in one way or another:

ziTAvYy.jpg

Arin "Egoraptor" Hanson is the co-founder and head honcho of Game Grumps who appears in the vast majority of videos. You might know him from his "Awesome" series, his "Sequelitis" videos or even his appearance on terrible reality TV show "The Tester".
Playboy, billionaire, philanthropist, Arin is living the good life of being a Youtube all-star while also being amazing at video games. He especially enjoys N64 games and the freedom they give the player at exploring the world and controlling the camera. Wow, what a guy!

ZLsoxXB.jpg?1

Leigh Daniel "Danny Y. Sexbang"(the Y stands for "you", so that you'll be fully enveloped by him) Avidan is the Not-So-Grump to Arin's Grump. You might know him from his awesome band Ninja Sex Party.
Compared to the other Grumps he's not all that familiar with video games since he basically stopped playing them after the SNES era until he joined Game Grumps (save for a brief stint ten years ago where all he did each day was play Morrowind and smoke weed), however he makes up for it by having led an insanely interesting life and just being inherently likeable. Did you know that he dug out the Qumran Caves when he was four years old? It's true, I read it on Wikipedia!

Zs2hxqS.jpg

Ross "RubberRoss" O'Donovan is some dude who fancies himself an "Australian" or whatever. Unable even to complete the simplest of games, his goal usually becomes making sure that if he can't win, everyone else at least will have a miserable time.
All together now: "God damn it, Ross."

ZODPzm4.jpg?1

Barry "Barry" Kramer - Grump during the day, unicorn wizard at night, he was formerly the editor of Game Grumps before Kevin was hired (although he still edits an episode from time to time), he now regularly appears in Grumpcade and Steam Train episodes.
He also hosts Table Flip together with..

c64HbQD.jpg

..Suzy "Mortem3r" "Goose" Berhow, who is Arin's wife and the voice of reason on this crazy ride. She has been on a couple Steam Rolled and Grumpcade episodes but mostly stays off-camera. She has her own channel here which is centered on make-up and fashion. She now also has her own gaming channel, Kitty Kat Gaming.

WCaeQEM.jpg

Hired to help out Barry with his editing duties, Kevin Abernathy is the newest addition to the Grump family after Dan bent him over like a table and sent him to Frisco town. Or something along those lines.
To this day, he still hasn't gone home.

EE7CuZi.jpg

Mycaruba

HR70CG1.jpg

Kikunae Ikeda

wJO9MSr.jpg

Buttlet, the Hero of Selfies Wind

cTubVDn.jpg

Boat

"You've got boat blood in you, kid!"

dxlBCnZ.jpg

P0GFpmi.jpg

xdA2RmP.png

CjKVRQ6.gif

Robocop

vBU97Hy.png?1

Burgie

OBYrL4B.jpg

Jon "Jontron" Jafari is the former Not-So-Grump and founding member of Game Grumps. He left the channel in June 2013 to focus more on other projects and to move in with his girlfriend in New York. You should check out his channel JonTronShow, it's great!

So why should I watch this?

Because it's fun! It's important to note that Game Grumps is not a channel you should visit if you want to watch speedruns or walkthroughs of video games. These guys are comedians / entertainers first and gamers second. Being consistently funny for 10 minutes with no awkward silences and playing competently at the same time is tough. They're trying their best but it can be pretty frustrating occasionally. Usually, however, it's worth it to watch them aimlessly stumble around. Just give it a shot and watch a couple of episodes to see if you like it.

Sonic 06: This way lies madness.
Drakkhen: The epic journey of Willard, Bill, Langley and Big Bill to the 7-Eleven.
Dennis the Menace: GET OUTTA HERE
Mega Man 2: Includes many delightful Danny stories
Goof Troop
Gundam Battle Assault 2: Oh hey, Big Zam.
Mickey Mousecapade: Jeez, game designers, get it together!
Wheel of Fortune: Lose a turn
Night Trap: Watch out behind you!
Mario Party 8: Watch it. Do it. Don't chew it.
Shadow the Hedgehog: KILL THE PRESIDENT
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2: I GOTTA MAKE A FRIEND
Ninja Gaiden: Arin is good at video games???
Kirby's Dream Course: MLG golf action
Pokemon Fire Red: The longest series ever!
Ice Hockey: The most dramatic Game Grumps VS
Sonic Boom: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Knuckles with his gross echidna-penis
Trauma Center: Second Opinion: You got a letter. It's a C..for CRANBERRIES
Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril: Arin melts down
Super Mario 3D World: Arin enjoys a 3D Mario game???
Dan Bradman: Cricket: Lovely day for cricket
Amazing World: Microtransactions hoooo!

Game Grumps Animated

Every Thursday, a (fan-created) GG Animated is posted on the main channel. Here's the playlist.

IT'S A PUMBLOON
Sad Hoshi
Eat Your Peas
Game Grumps The Movie
Mayor Luigi
Ash Man
You Don't Know Jon
Racist Bassist
Sexy Widdle Baby
Bye Grandma!
Brock Tomb
GIRLS
Liquid Game Grumps
MARC ZUCKERBERG
There's shit on the wall!
Dale posts a comment
Arin and Dan's fake childhood of murder and poop
*pop pop*
Right in the goddamn eye!
Eat the poopoo!
Pet my ass!

Also:

ZjYOFHG.gif

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Maz- on

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Great OP.

Good jorb!

That Mark Zuckerberg bit though, oh man. Definitely my new favourite Grump moment.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Salty Dan is the most delicious Dan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDCB-oD5HqY

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Here I thought Mario 64 was going to get better when they came back.

...and I was right. Also yay 7 episodes of tired blood borne on the way.

KoopahTroopah on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Nice Op Maz!

Yay Grimble Grups!

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The latest Mario 64 is fucking gold.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    PEOPLE ARE WATCHING THIS

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Today's Mario is especially funny in light of Danny in yesterday's episode saying they'll be refreshed and happy when they get back.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    is this munchables announcing ninja brian's appearance?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    is this munchables announcing ninja brian's appearance?

No, because then he would not be a very good ninja.

edited April 2015
    Ninja Brian has actually been in every episode of Game Grumps.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I love tired, salty Danny. Also, when I was in middle school, we referred to that wiener dangling face maneuver as "Arabian Goggles"

Edit: Because the hangy testicle bits would rest on the eyes in theory, you see. No clue why it was Arabian, though.

Also, I don't understand Mario Party 10...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Ninja Brian has actually been in every episode of Game Grumps.

yeah but he hasn't appeared in them

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I love tired, salty Danny. Also, when I was in middle school, we referred to that wiener dangling face maneuver as "Arabian Goggles"

Edit: Because the hangy testicle bits would rest on the eyes in theory, you see. No clue why it was Arabian, though.

From what I can tell, they designed it to be the russian roulette of fun. It's random.

I think the bit with the turtle where Ross got the last hit in would be where I stop playing. Because that was pure, unmitigated grade A bullshit.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    OP is wonderful, but if I may suggest an additional "Must Watch" link?

No Brakes Valet, because I think it's a hilarious GG Vs. Especially with Dan's constant quote of "Arin, you son of a bitch!"

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I feel like Ross is making a deliberate effort to not know what's going on in 4-player grumpcades and it's really grating

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I feel like Ross is making a deliberate effort to not know what's going on in 4-player grumpcades and it's really grating

Maybe he's setting up a hustle for cash?

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Ross bitching about someone else not pressing the A button is equal parts amusing and irritating.

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Astale wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

From what I can tell, they designed it to be the russian roulette of fun. It's random.

I think the bit with the turtle where Ross got the last hit in would be where I stop playing. Because that was pure, unmitigated grade A bullshit.

Why is it bullshit? The player who clicks first, shoots first, so by paying attention how many points it takes to kill the mini-boss you have control over who gets the final kill. Ross did not know it, but by waiting on the others he was doing exactly what he needed to do to win.
    Mp10 is random, but that fight is fair.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    grep

grep to meet you too

So I haven't watched GG in a while! That MARK ZUCKERBERG thing pulled me back. Anyone got like a best of 2014 list?

Oh brilliant
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    They should just go ahead and finish Mario 64. Arin saying how much he hates it every episode is getting pretty old. When they first started it seemed like he was enjoying it even though he would get frustrated, which was entertaining. But now he's not having fun and it's kinda bringing the whole thing (save a few exceptions).

Salty / sassy Arin is great, but obnoxious Arin is not.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    This latest ep of Mario 64 was the giddy limit for me. I'll just wait until Danny forces Arin to watch a walkthrough or twelve.

I'm quite enjoying their dog-tired Mario 64 shenanigans.

steam_sig.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

OP states we can't mention Jon anymore. But since the Grumps are now regularly mentioning him themselves, that's gotta be over right? Just curious.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Talk of older Games Grumps with Jon in them is fine.

Talk of why Jon left or what he's doing now is not.

That's how I read it.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Just noticed this (normally watching on Xbox or phone). The ever-present Last/Next episode buttons? Don't actually work. Do they go back and edit them after a time? Or is it just ridiculous laziness? I was on Mario Party 10 episode 2 and both the next episode (3 is out) and last episode (obviously 1 is out) buttons don't work. They have it listed in the details, and it doesn't work there either.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Just noticed this (normally watching on Xbox or phone). The ever-present Last/Next episode buttons? Don't actually work. Do they go back and edit them after a time? Or is it just ridiculous laziness? I was on Mario Party 10 episode 2 and both the next episode (3 is out) and last episode (obviously 1 is out) buttons don't work. They have it listed in the details, and it doesn't work there either.

It's been brought up on reddit a few times. Not sure what the deal is.

Also, I'm tired of this Munchies game and wish they'd move on. I think it's pretty repetitive.

They usually edit them later, but it's not always a regular or reliable thing.

There was one of their older series from a few months back that I was watching through its playlist, but it was actually missing the finale, can't quite remember what it was. It was online, just not in the playlist.

They can be a little sloppy when it comes to Youtube and links/playlists.

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

It's been brought up on reddit a few times. Not sure what the deal is.

Also, I'm tired of this Munchies game and wish they'd move on. I think it's pretty repetitive.

Humorously, I was just thinking about where I could find a copy of it. It looks like a Katamari-esque game, focusing on points and efficiency.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    yea... fuck mario party 10.

its like the devs went: "What is fun about Mario Party?" Take all~~ of that fun. and Throw it out. Now, what's the best way to fuck with player in 1st place? Put that in.

I'm tempted to say its like Dokapon Kingdom or Global Thermonuclear War. The only way to win those games is to not play them.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    That pic of Danny in the OP is so amazing.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm loving Munchables. The jokes are good and the game is so pretty.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    You have always been able to talk about Jon within the context of Game Grumps except for dramatics like "Why did Jon leave?" since that always leads to silly derails.

Other contexts are mostly off-topic since Jon hasn't been part of the channel for nearly two years now (Danny and Ross have been members longer!), and this isn't the JonTron thread. If you wanna make a thread about the JonTron channel, then go ahead! But I don't think it updates enough to sustain discussion like the Grumps.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I've been pretty generous as far as Mario Parties so far(I've only played up to the GC ones however), but is Mario Party 10 seriously as boring all-around as it looks in that particular map?

They tried to make the games go much faster, which they did, but the implementation sucks a lot of the fun out.

So, my opinion? Yeah, boring compared to the old style. *shakes cane*

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah there were two possible routes they could have gone:

they could have either sped the board game portion up
    OR
    they could have made the board game portion fun so that the time isn't a pain

they chose not to make it fun

liEt3nH.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I was starting to think that Mario Party 10 looked kinda fun, but then that Bowser shit happened...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I think Mario Party 10 gets a lot of hate for not following a formula that, honestly, wasn't great to begin with. My friends and I have fun with it, though. A good way to explain the car thing is that the entire boardgame portion is basically like that older minigame where the fruit is falling from the tree in a specific order and you have to decide how many times to shake it, to get a bomb to land on your friends and not you.

I wasn't thrilled by what I saw about it at first but it's a fine party game.

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So many wild opinions on mp10. Some are valid, some based on ample knowledge about the game. Bowser shitting on the player is a staple of the gameseries for instance, bad stuff happens to all players and not only to the one in first place, and the turtle boss can be won with skill if you know how.
    yeah there were two possible routes they could have gone:

they could have either sped the board game portion up
    OR
    they could have made the board game portion fun so that the time isn't a pain

they chose not to make it fun

I wish they choose any other level at the start. The ghost level is the weakest one, IMO.
    They do some fun stuff with the water and sky levels, and the bowser level is full of tricks. Water level also has the best bosses and board tricks.

Ah well, guess they made MP10 just for my house to enjoy.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
    I mean it's not like the game is a 1/10, though some of the mechanics I've seen are pretty infuriating and made only to handicap first place. I'm sure I could get used to the car since the board looks better paced in 10, but man I really didn't like it in 9.