As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stuck in Canadian ID limbo.

MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
Recently, I lost my wallet, along with all my ID.

I tend to go lean when it comes to carrying cards, so all that was lost was my bank card, birth certificate, and health card (which functions as photo ID, since I don't drive). The first two were rather straightforward to get, the last....not so much.

You see, in order to get my health card, I need something with my name embossed on it, as well as a signature, like a credit card. Now, I don't have one, but I thinks to myself "Hell, I should get one anyway, just a little one. That way, I can build up credit, get the health card, save the card for emergencies.

So, I call up my bank, thinking that getting a tiny 500 limit card would be a cinch, seeing as they can see I have no money issues, account wise. Unfortunately, they can't process the application because.....

....I don't have photo ID listed on my account (in my defense, the account was created back when I was a kid).

So, in short, I need a credit card to get a photo ID, and I need a photo ID to get a credit card....

Talking to the government rep, it looks like all I need is a official looking card with my name, and signature, such as a library card (sadly, my library just gives out number only cards)

Any suggestions?

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    You never had a passport, I take it?

• Options
    Yeah, no passport. Basically, I just had the bare bones ID. Trust me, I wish I did now.

• Options
    alltheolivealltheolive Registered User regular
    http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/lifeevents/wallet.shtml#cn_7 It sounds like you SHOULD be able to get a passport? It's roundabout, but then you could use the passport to get back your Health ID card.

Or you could call every nearby library until you find one with a signature card, if you really think they'll take that; can your bank issue you a checkbook, so you can write someone a check and get the check after it's been cashed? Can you open an account with an online bank, like Ally? I know Ally issues signature debit cards. Opening a whole new bank account seems like less benefit to you, and more likely to require that you already have a photo ID, than getting a passport.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Is it normal in Canada to carry your birth certificate around with you? because down below the birth certificate is a pretty important piece of paper that almost never leaves the safe.

• Options
    Kilgore TroutKilgore Trout Registered User regular
    What province are you in? In Ontario there is a fairly long list of potential ID documents. Regardless, maybe it will give you an idea of something you have that you didn't think of being able to use.

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~1/$File/9998-82E.pdf

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The first step is your Birth Certificate, everything else can be gotten from that.

Google "Birth Certificate Replacement" + Your Province

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    also I think every province offers an Provincial ID that has a photo, mainly for people who do not have a driver's licence. also as above Birth certificate is important.

• Options
    Yes, I looked into the age of majority card, and it appears to have similar requirements as a health card.

But, on the bright side, it looks like I can get a SCENE movie points card, that should be able to work.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    While I'm glad that will work, understanding why it will work makes my brain misfire

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular

If your not BC, ignore.

If your in BC, you should be able to go back into ICBC and they'll verify a replacement card with the photo on file as your primary ID. Then for a secondary ID there is a HUUUGE list of secondary ID you can present. Anything that has your name actually on the card. The Scene card is actually one that's recommended (as it's really easy to get). Things like Gas cards or points cards or anything with your name.

And yes, please keep your foundational ID (ID that can make other ID; your Birth Certificate) at home in a permanent safe location.