As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bioware Games] Stop Dragon My Heart Around

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I am very ready to pledge the inquisition to the qunari

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I am very ready to pledge the inquisition to eradication of the qunari

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    The saddest thing for me is that I won't be able to import my characters so I'll have to start from scratch.

I guess... That's only sort of sad, because it means I get to play it again.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I still have not played the first DLC

was it good?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    It was pretty all right! I'd honestly recommend buying both the previous DLCs but saving them for a fresh run of Inquisition. The first one especially feels like a regular 'zone,' but with some interesting story stuff. The second one is also good, but feels like it should take place at some point during the events of Inquisition. It felt kind of weird to play them with an Inquisitor who had already finished the main storyline, but I think they'd slot in very well during a regular playthrough.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I was looking forward to a new area but that sounds pretty rad.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    If this is the last DLC (like it sounds), I think I'll be a little disappointed. Mainly because I just want more story-based stuff to do in DA:I, but I guess having the complete version of the game will be a good reason to play through again!

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Are there any cutscenes in Jaws of Hakkon or is it all these cheap standing in place conversations

Posting this for reasons.

AlskmGs.gif

this is now relevant.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Please don't post my leisure activities without my permission

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    dragon age panel at pax is streaming right here:

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man, I'm impressed with the amount of work that went into DAI listening to them talk.

• Options
    pretty sure they're talking about iron bull's dick right now

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    That was the best...

• Options
    They're adding a Golden Nug which essentially allows you to transfer your schematics and mounts between characters, aaaaand a wardrobe so you can change your pajamas

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    They're adding a Golden Nug which essentially allows you to transfer your schematics and mounts between characters, aaaaand a wardrobe so you can change your pajamas

just went from a "yeah maybe" to now i need it right away.

• Options
    that stuff is gonna be in a free patch, btw

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    and now we're back to "yeah, maybe."

though if it is the last one for the inquisition guys then maybe i will see it off but hope for a Very Dragon Age Christmas, were we're all stuck in skyhold due to a blizzard and the base kids are worried about dragon santa not coming and then something happens, Iron Bull dressed as Sexy Santa.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I still have not played the first DLC

was it good?

I just finished JoH for third time and I think I've liked it better every time. Both the combat and exploration elements were a little frustrating the first time, but now that I know what to expect it's much smoother. It is pretty similar in setup to a zone from the main campaign, but with its own self-contained storyline. It also has a notable role for Harding, and I've realized playing this last time that the companions can actually be quite talkative. I had Dorian, Sera, and Blackwall with me this time and they all commented pretty frequently throughout.

Also aaaaahhh at the new DLC! I avoided checking out the leaked trailer in favor of watching the official announcement and I'm pretty hype right now. Even knowing what the trailer reveals, I'm excited to find how everything in the DLC plays out, especially in regards to how companions are handled.

kaceyp on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Heading home from work now, me and my sister are going to settle in for some DA:I multiplayer, casual-like. Anyone want to get in on PS4 action in about an hour and a half? @vsove ?

• Options
    Jaws of Hakkon and the Descent were both solid bits of DLC, but I wouldn't say they're exactly essential in the way that most of the ME2 DLC was, or the way that Citadel was. Like...they're fun, and they expand the world in interesting ways, but JoH doesn't have the strong character focus that the best ME DLC had, and the Descent is a bit too slight

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Jaws of Hakkon and the Descent were both solid bits of DLC, but I wouldn't say they're exactly essential in the way that most of the ME2 DLC was, or the way that Citadel was. Like...they're fun, and they expand the world in interesting ways, but JoH doesn't have the strong character focus that the best ME DLC had, and the Descent is a bit too slight

Hakkon is pretty comparable with the first paid ME2 DLC(which I forget the name of,) and Descent is in line with Shadow Broker or Kasumi, IMO.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Descent is as good as Shadow Broker?

God damn!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I would say the Descent is closer to Arrival.

Heavy combat focus. Sets up some stuff for the sequel. Though it also adds some quality of life stuff.

Hakkon felt closer to a Skyrim DLC than anything they've done previously. Though much more self contained.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

God damn!

I really dig the main thrust of Descent and I think it's got some impressive OH SHIT moments there. The followup stuff isn't close to as good as the lair tidbits, though.

• Options
    edited August 2015

God damn!

IMO, no. It doesn't really have the character development and banter that made Broker memorable.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Mass Effect (at least 2 and 3) have always been more robust in the DLC department than Dragon Age. DA has always has substandard DLC imo, at least compared to ME.

• Options
    Great cinematics, creative combat scenarios, strong characters that don't have a role in the rest of the game, solid banters, and a plot with sick ass locations.

Matches up pretty well with Shadow Broker for me!

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

Hakkon is pretty comparable with the first paid ME2 DLC(which I forget the name of,) and Descent is in line with Shadow Broker or Kasumi, IMO.

I don't want to say that they're bad, because I enjoyed them just fine, but they feel less connected to your characters than the best Mass Effect stuff. Like, Hakkon has really interesting stuff about the Inquisition, but that's a relatively small part of that zone. It fits pretty well with the rest of the zones, but it doesn't really feel special, I don't think. And the Descent is really interesting, and it has some great design work, but you're very removed from the events and their consequences.

Kasumi is a fun heist and it introduces a neat character to your team. Shadow Broker has rad setpieces and takes an old companion and gives her something incredibly cool to do. Overlord is probably the DLC for ME2 that's closest to the Dragon Age stuff, where it's a really cool side mission without a ton of bearing on anything else you do.

Part of why I'm excited for Trespasser is that it looks like it's going to focus on your companions and your character more than most Dragon Age DLC has, while putting you in a story that feels like a really natural extension of the game's story.

Right now, my favorite Dragon Age DLC is Legacy, mostly because it gives a lot of really interesting backstory for Hawke's family, and has some really neat companion specific stuff.

• Options
    I do wonder if part of that has to do with Shepard having fewer variables to worry about.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, Jaws of Hakkon and Descent do feel very much like side stories. Hakkon does have the cool bits about the Inquisition itself, but the larger amount of your time is spent dealing with things that aren't really tied into any other previously established major elements, and don't necessarily seem like they'll tie in later on. But still, it's an enjoyable story and the companions do comment a decent amount (and Cassandra does have a nice bit later on if you bring her). And the Inquisition-related stuff is pretty good.

The Descent is a more linear, focused story, but I was a bit underwhelmed at the end of it. I still enjoyed it, and it does seem to set up further developments, but if you're looking for something that feels meaningful and personal now, I don't think it quite scratches that itch.

Legacy is also my favorite. It adds great personal stuff for the Hawke family (which, having been on the official forums when it was released, I'm pretty sure helped a lot of people connect to the Hawkes in a way that they couldn't quite manage before), it had special moments for some of the companions, it tied directly into important lore stuff, and it set up new things to be brought back later.

kaceyp on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I do wonder if part of that has to do with Shepard having fewer variables to worry about.

I dunno. The best piece of Mass Effect DLC is Citadel, and it'd hard to imagine a piece of DLC with more variables

• Options
    I agree with that somewhat (definitely in terms of being the best DLC), but then again IIRC the main variables in Citadel were "Is squadmate X around or not?" Other than romances, if they were around at all they were mostly in a particular state. And there were I think 6 characters guaranteed to be around. With Inquisition, even a couple of the characters guaranteed to be around can seemingly have wildly different states.

I suppose this one could ultimately be similar, but Laidlaw's interview gives the indication that different character states will be reflected (if they're around at all), so I'm super curious and excited to see how all that's handled.

• Options
    I think the only character guaranteed to be around, at least in terms of squadmates, were Liara, James, and EDI. Every other squadmate could potentially be dead. Other characters like Steve and Samantha could still be around but

Man that party could be depressing as Hell

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Well one thing they said is an elf Inquisitor has a slightly different interaction with the mirrors.

I also don't think the Qunari would take kindly to a Tal-vashoth especially if they're a mage.

• Options
    I think the only character guaranteed to be around, at least in terms of squadmates, were Liara, James, and EDI. Every other squadmate could potentially be dead. Other characters like Steve and Samantha could still be around but

Man that party could be depressing as Hell
    Right -- Liara, James, EDI, Joker, Traynor, and Cortez are all guaranteed to be there. A lot of the major conversations use them as a foundation. But yeah that would be a pretty empty party. I mean, don't get me wrong, in real life I could have a pretty awesome time having fun with half a dozen friends, but in this context it definitely feels a little sad.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Wasn't there a failshep youtube video for the party?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to afford Descent

But I really enjoyed Jaws

The banter wasn't incredible, but it did a lot better about creating a place for you to roam around in

The thing with the ME2 DLC is it had some excellent character moments... for one person, typically. Shadow Broker had some great Liara stuff, and some amazing set pieces, but I don't remember (aside from Liara) having any particularly good conversations. It was a lot of action set piece stuff, Liara stuff, and then the fun bits of fluff at the very end.

Jaws tried to build the chunk of a small world, with its own culture and multiple people to interact with, and did a really good job. While I wouldn't say any one conversation was as good as what you got out of Kasumi in ME2, they're all quite good and there are just an awful lot more of them.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    ME2 isn't really the gold standard for BioWare DLC for me

ME3 is

Man that game had some good DLC

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Jaws of Hakkon also has an unsettling little sidequest that I really dug (for those who have played it, it's the Scout Grandin quest).

kaceyp on
This discussion has been closed.