As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM! Sale begins June 11th. IT HAS BEGUN!

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Also tried Tera for awhile with my wife. The combat is interesting enough, but the disgusting aesthetic turned me off of it super hard. Even my lil racoon fella couldn't keep me playing.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I've heard Yomi mentioned around the block a few times and now I'm torn on it. On one hand, I'm kind of fascinated by it conceptually. On the other hand, I checked out the limited free version yesterday and I think I might be the worst Yomi player that there ever was. I actually lost the first tutorial fight, where they don't even let you perform an independent action until you have like a 60-health lead.

I kind of feel like I would need to be an expert on the metagame and every individual matchup in order to be able to make a halfway intelligent decision. I'd kill for a video of a good player narrating their thought process or something, but I haven't found much.

The two things I was having the hardest time wrapping my head around (well, the two things that I KNOW I was having trouble with, anyway; I'm sure there are a hundred unknown unknowns) is dodges hemorrhaging card advantage (since it "loses" to block in addition to being throw fodder) and attacks losing to faster attacks. I felt helpless whenever I was fighting against anyone with fast attacks. Especially Geiger (who doesn't give a crap if you block him) and fox-lady (who draws a million cards no matter how many she wastes). Maybe this is a Vendetta-specific problem; I don't know.

It doesn't help that I'd be on the hook for the full $30 if I bought it, since most of the cool characters are in the expansion.

Well, first of I'd say that in general you don't need to commit to getting all the characters. While the expansion characters can have some neat and weird playstyles they're mostly just exaggerations of ones that exist with in the initial set (Gwen is like Setsuki but amped up in how much she needs to rush down like a crazy person). Plus you have some awesome stuff you can do with the base characters (Arg's slow burn, Lum's nonsense with poker hands and blackjack, Geiger hitting you for all your health bar in one combo).

As far as youtube channels Simon Braendli puts out good stuff and also has a short series of tutorial videos on understanding better choices and so on.

The big advice I'd give is that it's not as intimidating as you think. I've played a whole bunch of Yomi in it's various forms throughout the years and have a decent knowledge of match ups and so on but it took ThatDudeOverThere about two matches to start making me have to consider things with his Argargarg against my Gwen (which is the hypest fucking match up).

If you do get it feel free to add me on skype/steam and I'll happily go through and play stuff with you.

Also the tutorial is kind of a dick in that Jaina is actually what most people would list as one of the more complex characters to play. So I wouldn't feel that bad that you lost vs Grave bot.
    Well, the inevitable happened. I read about Yomi obsessively for two days and now I'm at the point where I pretty much have to buy it, if only to get it out of my system.

Also I had an epiphany at some point during that time, which was that Yomi does not have board control. I think I was instinctively approaching the game with a kind of MtG/Hearthstone-esque mindset where if I'm not attempting some sort of substantial play every turn or two then surely I must be falling hopelessly behind. When really it's super fine to spend a bunch of turns doing a whole lot of not much and waiting until later to dump your hand.

I still don't really get how to use normal attacks effectively when getting outsped is such a big concern, though. Also I don't think I really get the ace economy yet. The first time I looked through Valyrie's set, my thought was, "How could this character possibly be viable? There's no possible way to rebuild your hand after dumping six individually-weak cards into one mediocre combo." When actually a six-normal straight draws four aces, and you can then potentially use those aces to draw 2-4 more cards. I also thought DeGrey looked boring and weak at first, but later realized how awesome the interplay between Ghost Riposte and Point, Counterpoint probably was. Argagarg continues to baffle me, however (what are any of these face cards even for).

Argagarg is a control character. Less about doing mad damage himself and more about restricting your opponent from doing damage so that curse of Hexwood can tick over and give him the win.

In general your two key cards for that are bubble shield and protective ward. Both of which make your opponents have to waste a win doing minimal damage and allow you to keep slow rolling them.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    i find tera OK but the UI unbearable

and you know, the constant ass and titties thing

Yeah I downloaded tera because I wanted a free mmo to play a little bit and I just

I could not abide playing a game with a race of loli bunny girls

also the UI was a fucking mess yes

edit I mean i tried to make a skinny demon dude who was Gay As Hell but nothing competes with that class that is female only and exists entirely in chain mail swimsuits

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That game was a bummer because on the one hand it looked so gross and on another it had the most outstanding mounts I've ever seen. Lions, bears, probably elephants and shit. And you could play as a little fucking panda!

Realistically though, I know I'd never get into an mmo either way.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Tera.

I felt like even the camera kinda leered.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The thing I've learned about gross games is that if you skip them you never really miss them. When Dragon's Crown came out I thought "aaaahhhh I really want to play a balla ass side scrolling fighter aaaaahhhhhhh" and then I didn't buy it because it was gross. However many years on this is (two maybe) this is the first time I've even remembered that it existed. There are a ton of games out there, no need to play the gross ones.

Even if you can be a panda riding a lion.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    What's the deal with Tera that makes it so bad? I keep getting it confused with Aion

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    What's the deal with Tera that makes it so bad? I keep getting it confused with Aion

The Elin

a google image search for "tera elin" isn't technically nsfw but it doesn't look great

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

The Elin

a google image search for "tera elin" isn't technically nsfw but it doesn't look great

Ahh, I see

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I liked Wildstar's aesthetic a bunch.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm not about to begrudge anyone not wanting to play Tera because of the aesthetic

But man, it has the best combat in any MMO

Which isn't a high bar to clear admittedly, but the combat is really good

• Options
    What is the combat like?

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I played TERA for a while. Rolled a lancer.

Then I discovered three very important things:
    People are either rabidly anti-Elin or ambivalent.

Everyone in a dungeon has to watch the Tank.

They sell swimsuit costumes.

At this point I felt it a civic duty to do what must be done.

Much in the same vein as vociferous priests, I think some people get way too worked up about things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

The Elin

Ahh, I see

To expand on that.

The Elin in the western release wore slightly less provocative outfits than the original version.

Naturally, you got a bunch of people crying censorship.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    What is the combat like?

I only played it for a couple weeks a couple years ago, but the combat relies heavily on positioning. Healer's have to directly target their heals on the area the player they're healing is in.
    All classes have a dodge move they can use to avoid attacks. A good tank can pretty much completely avoid taking damage by diving out of the way of incoming attacks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Radius wrote: »
    i find tera OK but the UI unbearable

and you know, the constant ass and titties thing

Delete every race but the raccoons

The best part about Tera is my cat priest named purritanical

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    What is the combat like?

I only played it for a couple weeks a couple years ago, but the combat relies heavily on positioning. Healer's have to directly target their heals on the area the player they're healing is in.
    All classes have a dodge move they can use to avoid attacks. A good tank can pretty much completely avoid taking damage by diving out of the way of incoming attacks.

Sound kind of like Wildstar

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I liked Wildstar's aesthetic a bunch.
    sci-fi WoW?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's sort of an action game.

Wildstar cribs some things from it, but nothing WS has is quite as good as playing my Slayer, dashing around, chaining attacks together in a combo string.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    What is the combat like?

Sound kind of like Wildstar

WildStar is like TERA as Doom is to ARMA.

TERA puts a lot more weight into their combat. You can dodge and block pretty much everything.. There isn't much in the way of auto attacks like Wild star likes to weave in. It's great fun mechanically, though lag destroys it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    A also wildstar is targeted at the Grognard casual hater demographic, and justly is dying because of it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    A also wildstar is targeted at the Grognard casual hater demographic, and justly is dying because of it

Yeah, it totally was, but I still feel bad for that team

They were clearly real enthusiastic about their product and it failed harder than I've seen an mmo fail in quite some time.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Yeah, it totally was, but I still feel bad for that team

They were clearly real enthusiastic about their product and it failed harder than I've seen an mmo fail in quite some time.

It also sucked because there was a lot to really like about the game but there was so much to not like about it too that the community died fast. Absolutely loved the combat and animations and setting and overall aesthetic and the house building was amazing.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Neat, it's just 15 bucks

• Options
    It also has a demo with the first two levels in it.

Also it's really good.

And the soundtrack is super rad.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

number one
    that's terror

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    You should play neon struct, it's real good

But I'd watch the polygon overview first.because it is a deliberate throwback to stealth games where you had to be patient and dependent on guard pathing

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

But I'd watch the polygon overview first.because it is a deliberate throwback to stealth games where you had to be patient and dependent on guard pathing

number two:
    that's terror

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

I dunno, sometimes you can get away with some real nonsense using sprinting into slide or just plain running like a coward and line of sighting gun wielding guards.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    elin have clothing on, at least

every other race is titsmcgee with half her ass hanging out

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular

scifi payday 2, eh? :)

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Looks like I'll have to give up my dream of using the PS4 controller as my default PC controller. I bought a 4.0 bluetooth dongle in the hopes it would improve my latency issues with The Witcher III, but it didn't improve much. It seems to randomly switch between controlling flawlessly to spazzing out, which is really not something I want to deal with.

I guess I'll just have to wait until they either release an official driver or people improve the performance with their own programs.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I googled Tera Elin and now I'm pretty sure I'm on a watchlist

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    elin have clothing on, at least

every other race is titsmcgee with half her ass hanging out

They were changed to what you know for the US release from the South Korean originals.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Looks like I'll have to give up my dream of using the PS4 controller as my default PC controller. I bought a 4.0 bluetooth dongle in the hopes it would improve my latency issues with The Witcher III, but it didn't improve much. It seems to randomly switch between controlling flawlessly to spazzing out, which is really not something I want to deal with.

I guess I'll just have to wait until they either release an official driver or people improve the performance with their own programs.

Unless you're just attached to using the controller wirelessly, why not plug it in with a usb cable?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

Unless you're just attached to using the controller wirelessly, why not plug it in with a usb cable?

I am unfortunately attached (ha, pun) to using the controller wirelessly. I have no desire to play with an extended cable, especially since my 360 controller continues to work just fine wirelessly.

I was willing to put the effort to setting it up because I like the feel of the PS4 controller, plus having a trackpad mouse at all times is kick ass. Unfortunately if I can't get an equal wireless experience with the old 360 controller, the whole thing falls apart.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

I dunno, sometimes you can get away with some real nonsense using sprinting into slide or just plain running like a coward and line of sighting gun wielding guards.

you can! But it's easy for things to get out of hand that way+ it impacts your rating

• Options

you can! But it's easy for things to get out of hand that way+ it impacts your rating

I'm the worst at being patient. So my ratings usually in the garbage anyway.

Also the games movement is surprisingly neat feeling. So catapulting yourself over bannisters, sliding behind people half a meter away and otherwise behaving like an asshole is actually pretty good fun.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    gamefaqs is paying $250 for pillars of eternity faqs

that's... a lot of money

This discussion has been closed.