As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Death of Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Riots Update: Police Charged!

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Plastic bags aren't normally something people are allowed to have in jail cells, and of course when you're put in jail you have to empty out your pockets first. So where'd the bag come from?

allegedly used to line a trashcan in the cell

probably not something the jail should be doing but hey it's texas

They shouldn't have trashcans in a jail cell, either.

but hey it's texas

Seriously. Stop with that nonsense.
    As a native Texan, there is an awful lot of things the state politics do wrong, but comments like yours serve no point. Just because a situation happened in a state doesnt make the geographic location of said state a reason for that thing happening.

No one is saying "yea, but it is Maryland" or "yea but its Ferguson" or "Yea but its South Carolina" or Florida, or New York, or Illinois, or California or.......

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Plastic bags aren't normally something people are allowed to have in jail cells, and of course when you're put in jail you have to empty out your pockets first. So where'd the bag come from?

but hey it's texas

As a native Texan, there is an awful lot of things the state politics do wrong, but comments like yours serve no point. Just because a situation happened in a state doesnt make the geographic location of said state a reason for that thing happening.

No one is saying "yea, but it is Maryland" or "yea but its Ferguson" or "Yea but its South Carolina" or Florida, or New York, or Illinois, or California or.......

sorry, not gonna give texas's fucked up jail system a pass

not after how hard they fought against any attempt to even pretend to do a single thing about their enormous prison rape problem

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/us/texas-and-us-spar-over-rules-to-stop-prison-rape.html

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular

but hey it's texas

Point taken, but whenever I see wacky police blotter stories like "woman stabs man for farting in her face" I really do say "Yeah, it's Florida."

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

but hey it's texas

Eeeeehhhhh......

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Cog wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Someone I know posted online that they legally have to have a trash bag in every cell because if they didn't it could be concidered a rights violation or sanitary issue.

I don't know the person well enough to know if that's true or if that's racist snark.

One minute of Google and five minutes of reading later... not true.
    Sec. 351.011. FURNISHINGS OF CELLS, COMPARTMENTS, AND DORMITORIES.
    (a) A county jail cell designed for one prisoner only must have a toilet, a combination sink and drinking fountain, a table, and a seat.

(b) A housing area designed for three or more prisoners must have one toilet and one combination sink and drinking fountain for every eight prisoners to be confined in the area.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/LG/htm/LG.351.htm

Are they restricted to ONLY those furnishings, or is that the minimum furnishing?

And regardless, the jail may have violated the code and furnished the trash can & bag out of incompetence.

"Only must have" means that's the bare minimum requirements. I was looking into it to see if the comment mxmarks had seen was true or not, that the county jail had to have a trash can in the cell (they did not).

What needs to be looked into is asking all the other people who were held at the time: did your cell have a trash can with a trash bag in it? Ask people who have been there before or since: trash can and trash bag in your cell? Let's look at the videos from other cells from the night of the incident: do they have trash cans and trash bags in the cell?

I know it sounds a bit like I'm suggesting that this has been planted by the police, but what I'm really saying is that it's not out of the realm of possibility, so low is my opinion of certain police forces right now, and it could be demonstrated to be unfounded suspicion with only a little bit of effort. But of course that would require the cooperation of the police to investigate this.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options

but hey it's texas

sorry, not gonna give texas's fucked up jail system a pass

not after how hard they fought against any attempt to even pretend to do a single thing about their enormous prison rape problem

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/us/texas-and-us-spar-over-rules-to-stop-prison-rape.html

Then dont give the messed up jail system a pass.

Just stop replying to every messed up thing with

"Yea, but Texas"

Maybe if literally every single incident in this thread happened in Texas i could see the weight of that comment. But Texas has no monopoly on things being messed up.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    This is a clusterfuck all around and recent police history isn't helping things.

This is certainly true, but some people in here are getting a little overzealous with some of the theories being thrown around. I'm all about holding cops accountable for the well-being of people in their care, teaching them not to escalate over a fucking traffic stop, and nailing their asses with fines when they don't follow strict procedure, but the most reasonable explanation as of this moment is that she did kill herself, and the jail that was holding her and the cop who arrested her were negligent and a dick, respectively.

Her former cellmate saying she was crying all the time and distraught over the absurdity of her bail isn't character assassination, it's an observation. People who suffer from depression and have attempted suicide in the past only need one bad day to return to that spiral, and unfortunately Sandra had several.

Sure. But like Michael Brown, releasing this kind of information still comes off like it. I think the difference is in how the information is used, though I'm not sure there is a way to just mention things like this and not have it question character.

Then I think we disagree on what constitutes character assassination and what response a woman being greatly upset over an injustice with far-reaching consequences into her personal life should elicit in a third party.

Unfortunately, Sandra is dead. We can't ask her about her emotional state before her death, but we can gather observations from people who were around her immediately prior to the incident. The Michael Brown case was different because it doesn't inform him being shot by someone else in a completely unrelated event. If he'd been shot in the store by the store owner, then it would have been pertinent. Though probably not to release to the general public, that would have still been fucked up.

In what is ostensibly a suicide, information about the deceased's emotional state is relevant. The judgment others (I believe unfairly) pass on the person is not the responsibility of the person collecting the information, nor the one reporting it.

I'd be more sympathic to this if "information from a cell mate" wasn't so hilariously unreliable and usually slanted towards the police (see also "that guy I couldn't see was totally smashing his head against the can wall on purpose")

Which is a fair point to make, but the tone of the rest of the article didn't lead me to read it that way. I thought the cell mate was genuinely sympathetic to Sandra, and her statement being otherwise suggests a level of collusion with the cops that I find unlikely. But I admit that I might not be seeing everything you are.

• Options

but hey it's texas

Eeeeehhhhh......

LOL!

Fair enough.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Someone I know posted online that they legally have to have a trash bag in every cell because if they didn't it could be concidered a rights violation or sanitary issue.

I don't know the person well enough to know if that's true or if that's racist snark.

(a) A county jail cell designed for one prisoner only must have a toilet, a combination sink and drinking fountain, a table, and a seat.

(b) A housing area designed for three or more prisoners must have one toilet and one combination sink and drinking fountain for every eight prisoners to be confined in the area.

Are they restricted to ONLY those furnishings, or is that the minimum furnishing?

And regardless, the jail may have violated the code and furnished the trash can & bag out of incompetence.

"Only must have" means that's the bare minimum requirements. I was looking into it to see if the comment mxmarks had seen was true or not, that the county jail had to have a trash can in the cell (they did not).

What needs to be looked into is asking all the other people who were held at the time: did your cell have a trash can with a trash bag in it? Ask people who have been there before or since: trash can and trash bag in your cell? Let's look at the videos from other cells from the night of the incident: do they have trash cans and trash bags in the cell?

I know it sounds a bit like I'm suggesting that this has been planted by the police, but what I'm really saying is that it's not out of the realm of possibility, so low is my opinion of certain police forces right now, and it could be demonstrated to be unfounded suspicion with only a little bit of effort. But of course that would require the cooperation of the police to investigate this.

Thanks for looking that up, I didn't have a chance to at the time.

and I totally agree with you - determining now if the same things are placed in every cell at all times is essential. Why would anyone Ever put anything in a cell they weren't required to?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Just getting caught up on this situation.....

But i assume it was bare minimum security jail cells. Mostly for processing/holding. I wouldnt think a trashcan would be out of line. But...thats juts me

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

but hey it's texas

People say that about Florida all the time, and as a Floridian

meh

they're pretty much right

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular

but hey it's texas

I'm a Texan too, man, and I am just no longer surprised by some of the heinous shit our state has done and still tries to do.

As a whole, we are pretty awful in a lot of respects, so I can't really fault someone for going, 'Yeah, that sounds about right for Texas.' It's not an attack so much as an acceptance of reality.

What I'm trying to say is I hear you, but... Hey, it's Texas.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Edit:

I was just repeating myself. It dint add anything to the larger discussion, so i removed it.

Ninjeff on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Where are you getting the bolded from? Depending on each individual jail what people are allowed to have can vary wildly.

• Options

but hey it's texas

I'm a Texan too, man, and I am just no longer surprised by some of the heinous shit our state has done and still tries to do.

As a whole, we are pretty awful in a lot of respects, so I can't really fault someone for going, 'Yeah, that sounds about right for Texas.' It's not an attack so much as an acceptance of reality.

What I'm trying to say is I hear you, but... Hey, it's Texas.

We know there's a lot of good people there, but there's still enough rubes, luddites and philistines roaming free that the political scene is still crazytown.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Basically, how Texas wants to see itself:

EricTaylor.jpg

How the rest of us see Texas:

george-w-bush.jpg

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Thanks for looking that up, I didn't have a chance to at the time.

and I totally agree with you - determining now if the same things are placed in every cell at all times is essential. Why would anyone Ever put anything in a cell they weren't required to?

Would you want to handle every single thing for every single person in your jail? Providing prisoners with their own basic amenities can save the jail money in labor and be beneficial for the prisoners too since most people don't want to be treated like they're completely incapable of taking care of themselves.

I think some of you are more familiar with the practices in higher security prisons and expecting a low security jail to be similar.

Quid on
  • Options
    What would you be allowed to have in your jail cell that you would need to throw away?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    What would you be allowed to have in your jail cell that you would need to throw away?

Tampons come to mind pretty quick.

The jail's website mentions they have a prison commissary which means inmates likely had access to writing materials, snacks, toiletries, etc.

Quid on
  • Options

EricTaylor.jpg

george-w-bush.jpg

So, in the interest of transparency, us Texans do have a penchant for mysterious state pride (somehow) so....*sigh* i feel the need to say

DAMNIT! HE ISNT EVEN FROM TEXAS! ARG! lol.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Tampons come to mind pretty quick.

The jail's website mentions they have a prison commissary which means inmates likely had access to writing materials, snacks, toiletries, etc.

Oh right, she was trying to make bail. I was thinking of a short holding and not extended over days.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Where are you getting the bolded from? Depending on each individual jail what people are allowed to have can vary wildly.

I'm getting it from the common sense that it can be easily used to kill someone/oneself. Also if their narrative is that she was a suicide risk, then again, not something you'd want in the cell.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options

I'm getting it from the common sense that it can be easily used to kill someone/oneself.

Plus access to a trash bin that can certainly be weaponized easily.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

EricTaylor.jpg

george-w-bush.jpg

So, in the interest of transparency, us Texans do have a penchant for mysterious state pride (somehow) so....*sigh* i feel the need to say

DAMNIT! HE ISNT EVEN FROM TEXAS! ARG! lol.

Which does not make you electing him for Governor look any better for you.

edit-
    And, it's not like you have been doing any better lately anyway.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    edited July 2015

I'm getting it from the common sense that it can be easily used to kill someone/oneself. Also if their narrative is that she was a suicide risk, then again, not something you'd want in the cell.

You think it's common sense that every single person arrested for non violent offenses should be presumed to be violent? I mean yeah, a person could kill someone else with that trash bag, but why would you assume they will? Assuming someone is violent solely because they've been arrested is a bad thing.

The suicide concerns are much more valid but the people in charge can't manage to get their story straight on anything regarding what they knew about her right now. But either way that doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to have trash bags as standard practice.

Quid on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

You think it's common sense that every single person arrested for non violent offenses should be presumed to be violent? I mean yeah, a person could kill someone else with that trash bag, but why would you assume they will? Assuming someone is violent solely because they've been arrested is a bad thing.

The suicide concerns are much more valid but the people in charge can't manage to get their story straight on anything regarding what they knew about her right now.

didn't stop them from cuffing her due to concerns over "officer safety"

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Trace wrote: »

The suicide concerns are much more valid but the people in charge can't manage to get their story straight on anything regarding what they knew about her right now.

Yes that was stupid bullshit.

I would rather cut back on the stupid bullshit rather than extend it to people already having a shitty time in jail.

Quid on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

I would rather cut back on the stupid bullshit rather than extend it to people already having a shitty time in prison.

Fair enough.

Look I don't think a cop personally hung her. (I hope to god that's not how it happened. Burn the country down now if it did)

But they're sure as hell complicit in letting it happen and should be brought up on charges (I'd like to see involuntary manslaughter and unlawful imprisonment) because they didn't do their jobs correctly and because of that, someone was able to take their own life.

Trace on
  • Options

everyone gets cuffed. That's not an anomaly.

What he is saying is hindsight is 20 20, and there is no realistic way they could have known she was a suicide risk and would use a trash bag to do so. Having a trashcan and trash bag seems like a reasonable item to have in a very low security jail dealing with non-violent offenders.

• Options

I would rather cut back on the stupid bullshit rather than extend it to people already having a shitty time in prison.

Fair enough.

Look I don't think a cop personally hung her. (I hope to god that's not how it happened. Burn the country down now if it did)

But they're sure as hell complicit in letting it happen and should be brought up on charges (I'd like to see involuntary manslaughter and unlawful imprisonment) because they didn't do their jobs correctly and because of that, someone was able to take their own life.

Certainly. The absolute best case scenario here is the prison is run horrifically bad and isn't paying attention to inmate needs or just doesn't care. Which wouldn't be a surprising situation at all.

• Options

What he is saying is hindsight is 20 20, and there is no realistic way they could have known she was a suicide risk and would use a trash bag to do so. Having a trashcan and trash bag seems like a reasonable item to have in a very low security jail dealing with non-violent offenders.

Nah they totally could have known. Maybe. Depends on who you ask. But several dozen cuts on an arm aren't easy to miss and the moment she mentioned to anyone that she'd attempted suicide means she should have been on a suicide watch. So again it's massive incompetence at best.

• Options

Nah they totally could have known. Maybe. Depends on who you ask. But several dozen cuts on an arm aren't easy to miss and the moment she mentioned to anyone that she'd attempted suicide means she should have been on a suicide watch. So again it's massive incompetence at best.

Well, the mentioning to someone about the attempt is a fair point.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Well, the mentioning to someone about the attempt is a fair point.

There's also the fact that regulations stipulated frequent, in-person checks, implying that even if they didn't know, they were supposed to be making sure.

• Options
    Also a fair point.

Seems better to focus on those reasons, rather than the trash bag.

• Options

I have to disagree with you there, Quid, because she should have never been in the situation in the first place.

Remember, she was pulled over for not signalling a turn. Not signalling a turn.

No one ever signals all their turns. The police never pull anyone over for that unless: A) They have another legitimate reason to pull them over anyway or B) The person driving is a minority

• Options

I have to disagree with you there, Quid, because she should have never been in the situation in the first place.

No one ever signals all their turns. The police never pull anyone over for that unless: A) They have another legitimate reason to pull them over anyway or B) The person driving is a minority

That's totally not true. I've been pulled over for failure to signal.
    And of course they dont get every body that does it, because cops cant be everywhere at all times.
    Focus on what the officer did that was hugely messed up. Pulling over someone for failure to signal is not one of them.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Spaffy wrote: »
    It was an inmate that said that, not the cops

To clarify, I was moving on from what the inmate said (Sandra Bland was sad because of the arrest) to what the Waller County officials were saying (it was definitely a suicide).

The idea that anyone would take the officials in Waller County at their word is just silly. Of course "it was definitely 100% not our fault". What the fuck else are they going to say?

Edit: the concept of being pulled over for failure to signal is completely foreign to me, too. I don't think I've ever seen a turn signal used in RI.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Things got fucked up right around the point of "I'll light you up!" and then went downhill from there.

• Options

That's totally not true. I've been pulled over for failure to signal.
    And of course they dont get every body that does it, because cops cant be everywhere at all times.
    Focus on what the officer did that was hugely messed up. Pulling over someone for failure to signal is not one of them.

My point that she shouldn't have been in jail to begin with still stands.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Things got fucked up right around the point of "I'll light you up!" and then went downhill from there.

I'd actually say things got fucked up around the point where he asked her to put out her cigarette, she declined, and the cop decided that was the point that removing her from the car was justified.

This discussion has been closed.