As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

9 Dead in Racially Motivated shooting in Charleston, SC

ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Social Entropy++
Disclaimer:
I tried to contact a mod and none were on, if they feel this thread should be locked go ahead, but I needed to talk about it

Baltimore MD is on fire.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-university-of-baltimore-closes-amid-high-school-purge-threat-20150427-story.html#page=1
Violence and looting overtook much of West Baltimore on Monday, injuring more than a dozen police officers and leaving a store and several vehicles in flames.

As night fell, looters took to Mondawmin Mall and a Save-A-Lot and Rite Aid in Bolton Hill, loading up cars with stolen goods. A large senior center under construction at Chester and Gay streets was engulfed in a three-alarm fire crews were battling.

Fifteen police officers were injured in a clash with school-age children that began around 3 p.m., and two remain hospitalized, police Col. Darryl DeSousa said in a press conference Monday night. Earlier, police spokesman Capt. Eric Kowalczyk said one officer was unresponsive and others suffered broken bones
The incident stemmed from a flier that circulated widely among city school students via social media about a “purge” to take place at 3 p.m., starting at Mondawmin Mall and ending downtown. Such memes have been known to circulate regularly among city school students, based on the film "The Purge," about what would happen if all laws were suspended.

The flier included an image of protesters smashing the windshield of a police car Saturday during a march spurred by the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old man who suffered a spinal cord injury earlier this month after being arrested by city police.

Kowalczyk would not speculate on whether the incident was related to Gray’s death.

Baltimore_looting7.jpg

baltimore_looting.jpg

baltimore_looting5.jpg

I think basically all of us here would agree that police violence is abhorrent

but what we are seeing here is beyond a response to that and I am sitting here shaking

half my extended family is in baltimore and they will be in my thoughts tonight

Hope you and yours stay safe.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
Chincymcchilla on

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hope your family is alright Chincy.

This shit is fucked up.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt

Worried about what this is going to mean for any further protests in Baltimore or nearby.

Afraid the cops will take out their anger over this incident on any other protests that happen.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I wondering how similar this is to the London riots. That was also over the police killing a guy, but very quickly it turned into looting and craziness. I've got a feeling that is as far as the comparison goes though.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    People are cutting firehoses so the flames can't be put out.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It feels like things are getting crazier by the week with "the cops"
    But, this is maybe a bit much

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

They also just burned down a senior center

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    The fact that this started with, and maybe is still mostly composed of, high-school kids is fucking crazy.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Dumb highschool kids posting pictures of things they'd looted on facebook is probably the only good thing to come out of the London riots.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Good lord that's messed up. This sort of anarchy does no good for anyone. And if anything, it gives "justification" to the police militarization movement. Somewhere on the Internet right now there's a bunch of cop forums going "see, we warned you about this".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

turtleant wrote: »
    The fact that this started with, and maybe is still mostly composed of, high-school kids is fucking crazy.

NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTlYvi35Xk

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

I went to the worst highschool in my county, which is one of the worst counties in the US if not for DC being right there

this is no surprise

VRXwDW7.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @Keith seems to be fine.

Not sure who else lives there

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

I'm reading reports that the senior center fire is not related to the riots

Edit: It's still awful that it's happening , though. But I'm glad to know that it wasn't an intentional fire.

Butler For Life #1 on
    Apparently this is all a bunch of high school kids recreating the Purge? I'm actually kind of expecting a death toll if this keeps up.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I hope everyone who lives in Baltimore or has family in Baltimore are okay. Along with those high school kids and any bystanders. Especially anyone who's taken video to keep the police accountable.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Apparently this is all a bunch of high school kids recreating the Purge? I'm actually kind of expecting a death toll if this keeps up.

I sincerely hope this isn't true.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Worried about what this is going to mean for any further protests in Baltimore or nearby.

Afraid the cops will take out their anger over this incident on any other protests that happen.

cops have already fired on and pepper sprayed protesters as of this afternoon

http://www.ibtimes.com/baltimore-protests-2015-police-fire-crowd-protesting-after-freddie-gray-funeral-1898701

they don't wait for excuses

Its impossible to tell right now but it is one of several reasons being given

there absolutely were fliers going around to this effect.

I'm reading reports that the senior center fire is not related to the riots

Edit: It's still awful that it's happening , though. But I'm glad to know that it wasn't an intentional fire.

Hope this is true

also one of the most unfortunate coincidences ever

Also, obligatory reminder to take news reports (and especially social media coverage) with a grain of salt. These sort of events always seem to spiral out of control and there's always someone looking to capitalize on that by reporting first and verifying facts later.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Fuck The Purge.

What a stupid fucking movie.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

Apparently there were tweets from students to this effect

I don't think anyone knows if those tweets actually contributed to tonight's events, though

Fuck The Purge.

Very few things that are called or related to the word "purge" are good.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Governor apparently declared a state of emergency and called in the national guard.

Well, this should be....interesting, to say the least.

• JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    It seems like police literally halted and emptied school buses leaving the area, and then antagonized the assembled students, because safety?

signature.png

Fuck The Purge.

Haven't seen it, but from what I read of the plot synopses for the two movies, the kids have completely missed the underlying point of the Purges in the movies: population control through the death of minorities and poor, orchestrated by the government. To call this the Purge is either stupid beyond belief or it's going to be very appropriate when all's said and done.

In other news

Happy first day on the job Loretta Lynch!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The fuck kind of anarchists circulate fliers

The worst thing the cops did in this situation (aside from killing fucking unarmed men in custody, jesus christ) was responding to a goddang high school flier with a ludicrous, anger-at-police-stoking show of force

De-escalate, for fuck's sake

I hope everybody's safe, and I'm beyond relieved that nobody's been killed.

But holy crap am I sick of people saying that some busted up drug stores "tarnish" the "cause" of pointing out that cops shouldn't fucking kill people.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    It seems like police literally halted and emptied school buses leaving the area, and then antagonized the assembled students, because safety?

This is really bad if kids are being endangered like this. Like hey, 100 cops in riot gear with guns and smoke grenades vs. teenagers with backpacks. Yeah I'd be scared shitless too, and would probably act out.

Nobody gets the idea of de-escalation.

It would be like if I got a patient calling in mad at their bill and I yelled back at them to try and show them I'm superior.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If a cop uses their weapon, they have failed.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Fuck The Purge.

No but like

It could totally fucking happen any day now man!!!!!

God

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Good lord that's messed up. This sort of anarchy does no good for anyone. And if anything, it gives "justification" to the police militarization movement. Somewhere on the Internet right now there's a bunch of cop forums going "see, we warned you about this".

Shit sucks. It sucks the conversation will be, 'what can we do to stop civil unrest from escalating/deter civil unrest' rather than, 'why are people inciting civil unrest?'

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    The fuck kind of anarchists circulate fliers

The worst thing the cops did in this situation (aside from killing fucking unarmed men in custody, jesus christ) was responding to a goddang high school flier with a ludicrous, anger-at-police-stoking show of force

De-escalate, for fuck's sake

I hope everybody's safe, and I'm beyond relieved that nobody's been killed.

But holy crap am I sick of people saying that some busted up drug stores "tarnish" the "cause" of pointing out that cops shouldn't fucking kill people.

They don't tarnish it, but they don't help either. At "best" they provide a nice convenient distraction from the real issue, and at worst, they become a flimsy pretense for more authoritative overreach.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    A little context:

gHnRgQ9.png

Freddie Gray is arrested by police, placed in leg irons and put into the back of a van with no seatbelt. The police deliberately try and drive in a way as to injure him as he's in the back of the van. The police manage to sever his spine, and don't request medical aid until several hours later. Gray slips into a coma and dies a week later.

Earlier today Gray's family held a funeral for him, and deliberately asked that no protests be held. The groups that were officially protesting this did not schedule a protest for today, the riots seem to be a related response from other groups, particularly young people.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I wish our police fucking knew how to de-escalate.

Too bad trickle-down "economics" doesn't let our society afford things like that.

If a cop uses their weapon, they have failed.

I wouldn't say that. There are absolutely cases where a cop needs to use their weapon.

It's really, really rare though.

Weapons should be a last resort, not a first. I've heard of police officers who retired proud of having never fired a weapon. I feel like the culture that produces that sort of officer is largely gone in law enforcement these days.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.