As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

9 Dead in Racially Motivated shooting in Charleston, SC

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, you give a bunch of cops military grade shit and they're going to want to use it. Stop outfitting the police like they are the god damn military

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If a cop uses their weapon, they have failed.

I wouldn't say that. There are absolutely cases where a cop needs to use their weapon.

It's really, really rare though.

I don't know how often a cop needs to use their weapon in the real world, outside of say, video games or movies.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Movies where the police who get in constant shoot outs are the heroes certainly dont help

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It'd also be nice if we'd stop hiring so many high-school bullies with anger/authority issues for our government-backed peacekeeping officers.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Fuck this is all a block from my cousins house

Hopefully he is on of of his many "disapered on a nuclear submarine for a month" trips

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    It'd also be nice if we'd stop hiring so many high-school bullies with anger/authority issues for our government-backed peacekeeping officers.
    Literally everyone I have known going into my colleges police program is someone doing it because they were picked on and now they want to be in charge

It is terrifying

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Movies where the police who get in constant shoot outs are the heroes certainly dont help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLFzLHAPnw

BE THE LAW / BREAK THE LAW

possibly the most tone-deaf cringe inducer I've seen from the past year

Brolo on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    If a cop uses their weapon, they have failed.

I wouldn't say that. There are absolutely cases where a cop needs to use their weapon.

It's really, really rare though.

I don't know how often a cop needs to use their weapon in the real world, outside of say, video games or movies.

More than absolutely zero, not nearly as much as games and films.

Sometimes you have to

You can go your whole career without that happening.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Literally everyone I have known going into my colleges police program is someone doing it because they were picked on and now they want to be in charge

It is terrifying

The make up of my college's Criminal Justice students was fucking depressing as shit.

Best way to ruin your day is listen to someone who wants to be a cop/lawyer/parole officer talk about how we should just kill all felons to save space with a completely straight face. And that wasn't a rare opinion.

I pretty much checked out by my last semester, was so tired of arguing with those people.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I took criminal justice courses to be a paralegal. I left the program pretty quick once I found out how prevalent corruption (I term legal fuckery as corruption because that is not in the spirit of the law) is in both police and lawyers and took the knowledge I'd gained to examine things like this sort of thing with a more critical eye.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

It is terrifying

The make up of my college's Criminal Justice students was fucking depressing as shit.

Best way to ruin your day is listen to someone who wants to be a cop/lawyer/parole officer talk about how we should just kill all felons to save space with a completely straight face. And that wasn't a rare opinion.

I pretty much checked out by my last semester, was so tired of arguing with those people.

This is part of why I shifted from criminal justice to social work, along with 'it's not rape if she's a sex worker, just stealing' from classmates and a professor saying that 'statistically if you need to kill time as a police officer you should look for young black men playing basketball in a group because at least one will have something on him' along with several charming jokes about "retards"

I wrote to the dean of the cjus college and was told that it was my problem to "work out" with the professor, who told me that I just didn't understand that he was using an ironic example to point out the racism in modern policing (... what even) and then told me he has 'retards' in his family who don't mind being called that! Also he said I was the only student who ever had a problem with him despite at least half a dozen students getting up and walking out when he made his comment about black guys

More recently the number of cops that have told me it's not racism it's just factual that black people are more likely to commit crimes lets me know I made the right choice

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    cabsy wrote: »

It is terrifying

This is part of why I shifted from criminal justice to social work, along with 'it's not rape if she's a sex worker, just stealing' from classmates and a professor saying that 'statistically if you need to kill time as a police officer you should look for young black men playing basketball in a group because at least one will have something on him' along with several charming jokes about "retards"

I wrote to the dean of the cjus college and was told that it was my problem to "work out" with the professor, who told me that I just didn't understand that he was using an ironic example to point out the racism in modern policing (... what even) and then told me he has 'retards' in his family who don't mind being called that! Also he said I was the only student who ever had a problem with him despite at least half a dozen students getting up and walking out when he made his comment about black guys

More recently the number of cops that have told me it's not racism it's just factual that black people are more likely to commit crimes lets me know I made the right choice

Ah good to hear that the Criminal Justice program has a working analog of the actual criminal justice system where all that authority seems to exist for is to cover/make excuses for any bad behavior in the ranks because it's far more important to preserve an image of solidarity and not rankle anyone who could cause trouble (unions) than it is to uphold a standard of respectable behavior.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• jamsyjamsy Somewhere in AsiaRegistered User regular
    Well, shit, that's crazy. I can only hope that things get better and not worse.

Currently playing Brave Frontier & THE ALCHEMIST CODE - woop!
    Now my brother in law, who is a cop, is intentionally calling me a nickname he knows I hate and calling me morally corrupt for saying I can understand why people are protesting and rioting so that's pretty awesome

I hope y'all who are in affected areas stay safe whether you're home or out protesting or just trying to fucking get home at the end of the day
    and hopefully the rest of y'all won't burn too many useless family bridges

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Now my brother in law, who is a cop, is intentionally calling me a nickname he knows I hate and calling me morally corrupt for saying I can understand why people are protesting and rioting so that's pretty awesome

I hope y'all who are in affected areas stay safe whether you're home or out protesting or just trying to fucking get home at the end of the day
    and hopefully the rest of y'all won't burn too many useless family bridges

It can only be considered bridge burning if it served a useful purpose in the first place.

This does not sound like such was the case.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My brother in law is also a cop and it makes me sick to sit here and think about how many times he is sitting somewhere using the n word right now while defending the police in Baltimore.

And everytime he says it I bet he lowers his voice and looks around like someone who shouldn't might hear him

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    ta-nehisi coates is good at words

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/
    When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, it exposes itself as a ruse. When nonviolence is preached by the representatives of the state, while the state doles out heaps of violence to its citizens, it reveals itself to be a con. And none of this can mean that rioting or violence is "correct" or "wise," any more than a forest fire can be "correct" or "wise." Wisdom isn't the point tonight. Disrespect is. In this case, disrespect for the hollow law and failed order that so regularly disrespects the rioters themselves.

uc3ufTB.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    And whenever MLK jr. is used to condemn the protesters there's this quote:
    MLK jr wrote:
    I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.

Gvzbgul on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

It is terrifying

Well this is about the most depressing thing I've heard in a long time

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    also here's a quote from facebook that i want literally everyone to sit down and read
    Kim Burgess put it beautifully:

"If you condemn the riots in Baltimore without condemning the situations that have caused them, you are not helping. If you condemn the violence of the protestors without condemning - with equal fervor - what happened to Freddie Gray in that van, you are not helping. If you find the destruction of property more abhorrent than the destruction of a human life, you have fallen victim to media sensationalism. By all means, pray for the violence to end. But make sure you're praying for ALL the violence to end; including violence against the black citizens of Baltimore that takes place on a daily basis."

Stay Woke, Stay Safe,
    Find Your Voice, Find your Peace

uc3ufTB.png
    My brother in law is also a cop and it makes me sick to sit here and think about how many times he is sitting somewhere using the n word right now while defending the police in Baltimore.

"Well here's the mayor telling it how it is... I would have posted videos of the violent bugs being bugs... But I'm sure that's just ' altered video' or racially slanted. Come on now.. Open your eyes"

at least he was polite enough not to use actual racial slurs on my facebook post, but I'm sure he's not being so careful at home... though now that he's a minority in a house full of feminists he might only get so far as "thug" rather than actually using slurs

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    @Keith seems to be fine.

Not sure who else lives there

Yeah I'm safe. I did see a store get looted not too far from home. And right now I hear so many sirens and police choppers that I feel like Daredevil

I hope all the protesters are safe, too.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Honestly, this problem comes from three sources:

-A small group of police who continue to be fucktards in this day and age of cellphone cameras and Youtube.
    -24-hour media which throws stuff in our faces without holding any responsibility of what that might cause because they want rankings/views.
    -A group of people who have suffered for years, had the "Fuck the Police/Government/THE MAN" mentality engrained into their minds from childhood who now act out in rage without a real focus or discipline to keep them from rioting.

Without all three of these sources changing their ways and seek peaceful way of dealing with the the fucktards within their groups, we will see more and worst riots.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2015
    No, it actually hinges mostly on law enforcement not being racist sacks of shit and the media warping the news so they appear unbiased no matter what. Then maybe we wouldn't have children growing up with resentment towards the system.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Honestly, this problem comes from three sources:

-A small group of police who continue to be fucktards in this day and age of cellphone cameras and Youtube.
    -24-hour media which throws stuff in our faces without holding any responsibility of what that might cause because they want rankings/views.
    -A group of people who have suffered for years, had the "Fuck the Police/Government/THE MAN" mentality engrained into their minds from childhood who now act out in rage without a real focus or discipline to keep them from rioting.

Without all three of these sources changing their ways and seek peaceful way of dealing with the the fucktards within their groups, we will see more and worst riots.

Uh, my disagreement with all of your points aside

I really think the if cops stopped killing unarmed people of color that's probably like 99% of the problem taken care of

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    "There wouldn't be riots if people weren't systematically targeted and killed."
    "Rioters would riot anyway, these people just do this."
    "What's your fuckin' control group, bro?"

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    A small group of police

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no

Like jesus tapdancing christ on a pogo stick

Way to blame the victims there duderino

"Have you tried not wearing a short skirt, miss?"

"Have you tried not being brown, sir?"

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Brolo wrote: »

(I listened to Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City while at work tonight)

So a mom just caught her son trying to leave to riot live on CNN

She reacted....poorly

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the attitude i feel like i'm getting from a lot of people

is that they just don't want to believe that the police are as thoroughly corrupt as they would need to be for there to be the level of unjust violence that anti-police people purport there to be

there has to be an explanation. The people we pay to protect society have to be good and honest and noble. People killed by police have to have done something to deserve it

because the alternative is more awful than they're willing to contemplate

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The alternative is despite our skyscrapers and microscopes we're still beating each other over the head with rocks

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

She reacted....poorly

wait what?

was this a lady being interviewed or was it an anchor or what?

TheySlashThem on
    fun fact: I moved into Baltimore City proper a week ago

funner fact: a lot of this stuff is like, 2 miles away from me

I regret nothing.

She reacted....poorly

wait what?

It was a panning shot of a line of policemen

Then a woman runs past the camera and starts hitting and dragging her kid back into the house as the camera zooms in

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    the attitude i feel like i'm getting from a lot of people

is that they just don't want to believe that the police are as thoroughly corrupt as they would need to be for there to be the level of unjust violence that anti-police people purport there to be

there has to be an explanation. The people we pay to protect society have to be good and honest and noble. People killed by police have to have done something to deserve it

because the alternative is more awful than they're willing to contemplate

What did they say about the Walter Scott shooting?

I mean there's video of cops shooting an unarmed man in the back and then planting evidence on the scene. Even the South Carolina PD couldn't defend Slager after that.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

She reacted....poorly

wait what?

I dunno, but if it is the lady and young man I think it is, she beats him on camera.

This discussion has been closed.