As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Any HVAC guys here?

TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
So, a few months ago my furnace control board had a short circuit, which now has made my AC no longer work. Heating works great, I've already narrowed the problem down to this specific board. It is a 50A65-120-04 Lennox control board. I have been trying to do some research on a replacement board for this, as swapping it out myself looks like a very doable thing. My question is... I found this board which says it replaces the 50A65-120, but does not specifically mention 50A65-120-04.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Rodgers-50A65-843-Universal-Integrated-Ignition/dp/B001V96TXQ

There is a question on this amazon page that asks if it is compatible with the 50A65-120-04, but the answer isn't a direct yes, it is compatible which makes me not want to take the risk. Is there anyone around that can help confirm/deny that this is a viable replacement board? If not, are there any suggestions on a different board?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Some quick googling suggests that it is, and replaces that version that's now obsolete. There's a few extra steps it looks like, but you may want to pay the HVAC guy a few hundred to replace it rather than take the risk.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I'm a bit worried about it so I found a friend of a friend who has a board waiting at a supplier for me. Its an extra $85 but the peace of mind knowing this is indeed a proper replacement helps

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Well, I successfully installed the board, and had it boot up properly, so I went to turn on my AC. Nothing happened. Went outside and looked closely at my AC. It looks like at some point someone with a weed whacker clipped my AC wires, they were bare and touching. When I saw that I hit the circuit breaker in my garage and went inside. Thats when I heard a pop from my furnace and smelled burning electronics.

Hiring someone to look at it at this point. Also trying to contact my association to see if they will cover any potential costs because I am willing to bet the issue is stemming from those bare wires outside touching. Guessing that isn't going to pan out though.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hey that's their fault, might have to take it up with small claims.

Hopefully it won't be too expensive to run new wires.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me