As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life is hard and stuff.

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Hi everyone, I made this post in the SE job thread but I think I might get some good advice here too.

Ok, so I'm at kind of a late crossroads in life. I have no idea what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I've been in school off and on since 2006. I started off undeclared, and was scared off tech work and leaned into Nursing. Unfortunately the school I went was a fucking mess. Circulium changed twice while I was prenursing causing me extra semesters, I had some awful professor (include one who spoke maybe a dozen words of english, this is not an exaggeration) and was recently told by the new head of the nursing department that she didn't think I can cut the bachelors program at that school. Ok fine. So I decided to change school and get my Associates, its still a fine degree and I can earn my bachelors later. Except now I've lost my job and I can't seem to find anything that would allow me to goto school while still paying bills.

So I have 2 possible offers that are coming up, but both are 9-5 jobs, I can't do that and nursing school because of clinical classes. So my fall back would be work one of these jobs, which while they offer good pay I would be stuck doing factory work...and I really don't want to do that forever, while I earn a degree thats offered through my school online. These are mostly tech degrees and hey I love that stuff....but I have no idea how useful an associates in say Server Administration, Network Administration, Database Management or Software Development would be. I've been hearing varying things from people I know.

Ideally I could work somewhere and finish nursing school, but so far none of the jobs are going to allow that. So I'm wondering, what you guys do in this situation? Anyone in the know, how useful/useless would one of those tech associates degrees be? How fucked am I?

Obviously no one can make the decisions for me, but I want to collect as much advice and data on this stuff before I make said choice, so I appreciate any insight.

Thank you for your time

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Well, I am not really going to be much help, I feel that I am in the same position. I need to figure out what I want to do. I have a technical degree in Electrical Engineering from a vocational school, but I only have really held temp positions in that field (mainly the assembly and testing work as a technician). I have a job now, that is a 32 hours a week job that is "ok" at paying what needs to be paid, but it is as a clerk at a grocery store, and I do not see myself doing that as a career. Due to it being "part/full-time" I could possibly return to a nearby community college, I went to Mira Costa college in South Cali years ago, I stopped in I think 2004(5). I was going for a business degree so that I could then get a culinary education(my father's idea) and use the business degree to start and own my own place. I stopped going because the business classes were boring and I completely lost interest.

My interest are basically as follows: Cooking/baking, going to the gym/weight-lifting, and watching/playing video games. I have recently been toying with the idea of going into cooking/baking, but I am not in the position to afford a culinary education right now, and I have only limited volunteer work catering events through my church (prepping and cooking). I do like the tinkering as pet of my degree, though I do not have extensive experience. I like working with my hands, and I usually find myself having fun and en joying it when doing work like yard work at my dad's house when he needs the help. I am just not sure of what I should do.

So ya, you are not by yourself in this regard, I didn't mean to try to hijack your thread; I just didn't want to spam the forum with another thread talking about very similar(same?) type of thing.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I made this post in the SE job thread but I think I might get some good advice here too.

Ok, so I'm at kind of a late crossroads in life. I have no idea what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I've been in school off and on since 2006. I started off undeclared, and was scared off tech work and leaned into Nursing. Unfortunately the school I went was a fucking mess. Circulium changed twice while I was prenursing causing me extra semesters, I had some awful professor (include one who spoke maybe a dozen words of english, this is not an exaggeration) and was recently told by the new head of the nursing department that she didn't think I can cut the bachelors program at that school. Ok fine. So I decided to change school and get my Associates, its still a fine degree and I can earn my bachelors later. Except now I've lost my job and I can't seem to find anything that would allow me to goto school while still paying bills.

So I have 2 possible offers that are coming up, but both are 9-5 jobs, I can't do that and nursing school because of clinical classes. So my fall back would be work one of these jobs, which while they offer good pay I would be stuck doing factory work...and I really don't want to do that forever, while I earn a degree thats offered through my school online. These are mostly tech degrees and hey I love that stuff....but I have no idea how useful an associates in say Server Administration, Network Administration, Database Management or Software Development would be. I've been hearing varying things from people I know.

Ideally I could work somewhere and finish nursing school, but so far none of the jobs are going to allow that. So I'm wondering, what you guys do in this situation? Anyone in the know, how useful/useless would one of those tech associates degrees be? How fucked am I?

Obviously no one can make the decisions for me, but I want to collect as much advice and data on this stuff before I make said choice, so I appreciate any insight.

Thank you for your time

Have you looked to see if your area has any nursing school grants or scholarships? ( not student loans tho, you are better getting an actual loan compared to the hell that'll put you through)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Not really anything no. Or at least nothing substancial.

And trust me, I am knee deeply entrenched in student loan debt alreay