As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Wrestling] thread wants you to watch NXT tonight for free on the Network

NiryaNirya Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Social Entropy++
The following was sent to the Wrestling thread by current WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins, who wanted to tell you all about his home state. These are his words, not ours.

seth-rollins1.jpg

Hello internet. It's me, your reigning and defending WWE World Heavyweight Champion, Seth Rollins, and I wanted to take this time to talk about something that's near and dear to my heart: my home state of Iowa. You see, there are a lot of people who don't know anything about Iowa, and I wanted to let those people know exactly why this is the greatest state in the world.

Wait, did I say greatest? I'm sorry, I meant the worst state.

Let's start with their flag:

go-iowa-awesome_design.0_standard_352.0.png

Ok, that's not really their flag, but it gives you an idea of the terrible people we're dealing with here. These idiots think this is art. And, to be fair, that is the best drawing to come out of Iowa in decades.

Iowa is known for their corn, and if you're wondering how unoriginal and awful this state is, they had to steal the whole corn thing from Nebraska. Honestly, I'm starting to wonder how I even managed to survive here for so long.

This state is so bad that they made working for Ian Rotten seem like a step up.

You know what you do for fun in Iowa? You go outside your house and stare at this for hours:

214415.JPG

Do you see how mind-numbingly boring this is? And these people do this for fun. They brag about it.

Do you even know any famous Iowans? No seriously, go ahead and try. You know who the most famous person from Iowa is? Tom Arnold. These people deserve their shame.

Wait, I take it back. Because there's a new most famous person from Iowa, and it's me. After all, who else from Iowa can claim to have done this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGrRz-gUZw

I heard they held a ticker tape parade in my honor the next day. As they should because with me as champion, Iowa suddenly has credibility. They suddenly have someone they can point to and say with pride, "Look, that man is from Iowa, and is proof that we aren't the absolute worst. Take that, you South Dakotan!" Finally Iowans can hold their head high as I lead them into a new golden age of respectability.

Or.....that would be the case, if I wanted to still pretend I care about Iowa. But why should I? I'm the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Iowa doesn't deserve me. Iowa doesn't deserve...this.

seth-rollins-wwe-world-heavyweight-champion-photo-from-wwe-website.jpg

t70pctuqq2uv.png
3DS: 2981-5304-3227
Nirya on

• Options
    Feel free to add your own completely true Iowa facts in this thread!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Iowa apology to you for doubting how good the OP would be

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I asked Hullis for help writing this thing, and he gave me this response:
    Brace Adkins, The Evil Twin: iowa is a nothing state, why would you waste your breath

Honestly he's not wrong.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    WHY WOULD YOU WILLININGLY SPEAK TO BRACE ADKINS, THE EVIL TWIN

HE'S THE EVIL TWIN

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    haha I'm not even from Iowa! I just live here because I'm in some sort of weird purgatory!

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    WHY WOULD YOU WILLININGLY SPEAK TO BRACE ADKINS, THE EVIL TWIN

HE'S THE EVIL TWIN

this is fucking madness

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Seth Rollins is a wrestling person I like

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I am very happy to see that Hullis is using that moniker.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Fun Iowa fact: The band Slipknot is from Iowa and have produced a decade of music based on being angry about being from Iowa.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    So who here is a ROH person, I've come to realize actual in ring stuff is really what I care about most right now in wrestling and that is what ROH has always been known for. I know they have a subscription streaming service (although the library from what I can tell is sadly nowhere near complete) and Im interested in giving it a try.

Do any of you a. Subscribe to the ROH service or b. Can you recommend shows I should definitely check out from what they do have available

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    So who here is a ROH person, I've come to realize actual in ring stuff is really what I care about most right now in wrestling and that is what ROH has always been known for. I know they have a subscription streaming service (although the library from what I can tell is sadly nowhere near complete) and Im interested in giving it a try.

Do any of you a. Subscribe to the ROH service or b. Can you recommend shows I should definitely check out from what they do have available

A. No.
    B. Anything from 2009 or earlier, anything that is actually New Japan or PWG.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Bale just subscribe to New Japan World or buy PWG DVDs. The quality of those will be way better than anything RoH is putting out.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Well I'm less interested in current stuff than in going back and seeing the stuff from when Bryan, Kenta, Tyler Black, Owens, etc were there

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    I asked Hullis for help writing this thing, and he gave me this response:
    Brace Adkins, The Evil Twin: iowa is a nothing state, why would you waste your breath

Honestly he's not wrong.
    Brace Adkins, The Evil Twin: you are putting more effort into this than anyone in iowa has ever put into anything

• Options
    Well I'm less interested in current stuff than in going back and seeing the stuff from when Bryan, Kenta, Tyler Black, Owens, etc were there

Even then, the PWG stuff of those guys (minus Kenta who never was in PWG) is going to right up there, and in the case of some of those guys (Owens, Sami Zayn, even Adrian Neville who I don't think ever wrestled for RoH) is going to be way better.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    oh look, nirya wants you to watch a pwg thing

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    well I mean

if someone says "I want to watch a thing with high quality in-ring action,"

it seems sensible to point them to a thing whose sole purpose for existing is high quality in-ring action

• Options
    oh look, nirya wants you to watch a pwg thing

It's more "Current RoH is pretty bad and you shouldn't spend money on them because it might encourage them."

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I even went out and got this clip ready and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE&ab_channel=CSG370

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Next thread, my child.

The world is not ready for the Young Bucks Thread.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    The 2004-2009 ROH shows were some of the best the company ever put on. If you're interested in ROH at its creative peak that's it.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    what PWG thing should I watch Nirya

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rollins-and-Reigns.gif

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    well I mean

it seems sensible to point them to a thing whose sole purpose for existing is superkicks and package piledrivers

• Options
    Also not everything in current ROH is terrible.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Rollins-and-Reigns.gif

I've seen this pop up in a few different places, but when and where were they using a WWE version of the classic WWF logo?

Also why the hell don't they still use it

• Options
    The 2004-2009 ROH shows were some of the best the company ever put on. If you're interested in ROH at its creative peak that's it.

unfortunately those seem to be the years with a lot of stuff missing from the library

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Rollins-and-Reigns.gif

I've seen this pop up in a few different places, but when and where were they using a WWE version of the classic WWF logo?

Also why the hell don't they still use it

Old school RAW.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    well I mean

it seems sensible to point them to a thing whose sole purpose for existing is superkicks and package piledrivers

I know nirya only talks about the young bucks, but pwg does employ other wrestlers

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Idiots
    Out
    Wandering
    Around

but with water, though

• Options
    well I mean

I know nirya only talks about the young bucks, but pwg does employ other wrestlers

the ppv he made me watch had three young bucks matches so I am not sure I believe you

• Options
    also just from perusing both sites the ROH aesthetic appeals to me more, I am not really looking for goofy bullshit right now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

Depends on what you want, really.

If you want Kevin Steen, go watch PWG Eight. It's got three Kevin Steen matches, one against Adrian Neville, the main event features Cesaro murdering Chris Hero, and a Pretty Peter Avalon match, before he was the good Pretty Peter Avalon.

Or, watch Steen Wolf, because the main event on that show pretty much tells you everything you need to know about why people were so excited about this Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn feud.

If you want tag team stuff, DDT4s are usually your best bet. My favorite is personally 2013, especially because that one doubles as El Generico's goodbye show and is phenomenal.

If you want the best of the really current stuff, last year's Battle of Los Angeles was amazing, and if you want only one night, get night 3.

If you want older stuff, some of the older shows aren't great because there's a lot of bad local wrestlers, and some of them might not be available online, but An Inch Longer than Average is probably the best of the bunch (features Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Chris Bosh, Kazarian, and Colt Cabana, along with the famous Guerilla Warfare match between Super Dragon and Joey Ryan) while The Musical features Daniel Bryan and Samoa Joe's breakout performance, along with my personal favorite match of all time, Hardkore Kidd vs Lit and Deranged.

If you want other suggestions let me know, but most of the recent stuff for the past three years has been really good, so you can't go wrong there.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    bale as the noted PWG Party Pooper I'll tell you that PWG is vastly superior to ROH

• Options
    also just from perusing both sites the ROH aesthetic appeals to me more, I am not really looking for goofy bullshit right now.

You know you're in the wrestling thread, right?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »

Depends on what you want, really.

If you want Kevin Steen, go watch PWG Eight. It's got three Kevin Steen matches, one against Adrian Neville, the main event features Cesaro murdering Chris Hero, and a Pretty Peter Avalon match, before he was the good Pretty Peter Avalon.

Or, watch Steen Wolf, because the main event on that show pretty much tells you everything you need to know about why people were so excited about this Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn feud.

If you want tag team stuff, DDT4s are usually your best bet. My favorite is personally 2013, especially because that one doubles as El Generico's goodbye show and is phenomenal.

If you want the best of the really current stuff, last year's Battle of Los Angeles was amazing, and if you want only one night, get night 3.

If you want older stuff, some of the older shows aren't great because there's a lot of bad local wrestlers, and some of them might not be available online, but An Inch Longer than Average is probably the best of the bunch (features Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Chris Bosh, Kazarian, and Colt Cabana, along with the famous Guerilla Warfare match between Super Dragon and Joey Ryan) while The Musical features Daniel Bryan and Samoa Joe's breakout performance, along with my personal favorite match of all time, Hardkore Kidd vs Lit and Deranged.

If you want other suggestions let me know, but most of the recent stuff for the past three years has been really good, so you can't go wrong there.

god DAMMIT

• Options
    mystery vortex 2 is a good pwg show

• Options
    mystery vortex is legitimately cool

• Options
    Bale just watch this preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC3v7sV_Mx8

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Mystery Vortex is my favorite concept for a wrestling show ever, and both shows have been phenomenal.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
This discussion has been closed.