As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    No AC no deal

Also I am having difficulty thinking of a worse case scenario for having to share your living space with bugs and flying insects.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Mosquito netting works for a reason

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guys I want a garage or old shed I can fill with tools so baaaaaaad

Stupid student debt. I pay more for loans than I do in rent right now.

Uuuuuuggggghhhh I need work space.

8406wWN.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Im excited to trick out a basement workshop in 4 months

I've got a band saw, circular saw, jig saw, mitre saw, table saw, planer, drill press, wood lathe, grinder, and a dremel with a plunge router attachment

Next up I'm looking into a better router and maybe a radial saw

Definitely need a better work bench

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I, too, want to sleep with my body inside and my head outside the window

VRXwDW7.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    i passed out drunk like that before

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Ah shoot I made that post about Brunei thinking this was the travel thread woops!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    No AC no deal

Also I am having difficulty thinking of a worse case scenario for having to share your living space with bugs and flying insects.

My exact first thought as well. That house is one giant bug trap (though it does look cute)

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I need to add some personality to my apartment.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    From the 1950s to the 1980s, Paris was booming. Foreign migration and urbanisation of the city caused a huge surge in population and a crisis for housing. France’s solution came in the form of vast housing projects and so during this period massive, modernist and really quite unique estates sprung up across the city — aiming for a new way of living.

Just a few decades later and these towering buildings look dated, discarded and forgotten. Often stigmatised by the media, they divide opinion in France and have been left mostly occupied by the ageing community of ‘urban veterans’ who first made it their home, as the younger generation are drawn to more contemporary city living.

Local photographer Laurent Kronental has become fascinated by the ‘ambitious and dated modernist features’ of these estates, known locally as ‘Grands Ensembles’. Since 2011 he has developed ‘Souvenir d’un Futur’, a series of stunning photographs documenting these neglected communities and capturing what he calls ‘the poetry of ageing environments’.

c2876fa7c93a7c892c830bcc16bb6f65c8550100_860.png
    dc2fd89e36972344f5ddf01e3e472ffc0df25742_860.jpg
    3d9a5e9a3cda386eddcc4989f3ccc3bc50307b19_860.jpg
    7e706cc34defb23a700803d6c51de6c4d3b89aa4_860.jpg
    5839cb218796e42312c69b62c3cbf4fbf1b29ea9_860.jpg
    1b4c5bf697696ed942db892c13f73d334aa10813_860.jpg
    c4d9c6f312b2f69a454397b3ebf347b9bb9b73cf_860.jpg
    c4b09a678627d03ff9ebbb56fdb42b0536e9ff35_860.jpg
    3a196ade3e5f12b0c35609fb6c536b615b68ac95_860.jpg
    dad030a0709cce1d65eae4ffe7ec9b123d0cee5a_860.jpg

http://www.creativeboom.com/inspiration/neglected-utopia-photographer-explores-the-forgotten-modernist-estates-of-paris/

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • statlerstatler Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I am probably late to this party but I just discovered Kate Wagner's delightful McMansion Hell.

tumblr_inline_ohxebzjWNv1sppt0x_1280.png

Her "What The Hell Is...?" series is a wonderful little Pop-Arch101 course.

statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    From the 1950s to the 1980s, Paris was booming. Foreign migration and urbanisation of the city caused a huge surge in population and a crisis for housing. France’s solution came in the form of vast housing projects and so during this period massive, modernist and really quite unique estates sprung up across the city — aiming for a new way of living.

Just a few decades later and these towering buildings look dated, discarded and forgotten. Often stigmatised by the media, they divide opinion in France and have been left mostly occupied by the ageing community of ‘urban veterans’ who first made it their home, as the younger generation are drawn to more contemporary city living.

Local photographer Laurent Kronental has become fascinated by the ‘ambitious and dated modernist features’ of these estates, known locally as ‘Grands Ensembles’. Since 2011 he has developed ‘Souvenir d’un Futur’, a series of stunning photographs documenting these neglected communities and capturing what he calls ‘the poetry of ageing environments’.

c2876fa7c93a7c892c830bcc16bb6f65c8550100_860.png
    dc2fd89e36972344f5ddf01e3e472ffc0df25742_860.jpg
    3d9a5e9a3cda386eddcc4989f3ccc3bc50307b19_860.jpg
    7e706cc34defb23a700803d6c51de6c4d3b89aa4_860.jpg
    5839cb218796e42312c69b62c3cbf4fbf1b29ea9_860.jpg
    1b4c5bf697696ed942db892c13f73d334aa10813_860.jpg
    c4d9c6f312b2f69a454397b3ebf347b9bb9b73cf_860.jpg
    c4b09a678627d03ff9ebbb56fdb42b0536e9ff35_860.jpg
    3a196ade3e5f12b0c35609fb6c536b615b68ac95_860.jpg
    dad030a0709cce1d65eae4ffe7ec9b123d0cee5a_860.jpg

http://www.creativeboom.com/inspiration/neglected-utopia-photographer-explores-the-forgotten-modernist-estates-of-paris/

burn it all to the dystopian ground

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    That one on the water looks like it could be really nice with a little TLC.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I like the ones with the giant round tops, they kind of look like those 25cent binoculars that you see in national parks.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I kind of like the second to last picture

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Man if you don't think all of those buildings look cool as hell then I don't even know what to say to you

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I'm more impressed that that balcony is functional. More often than not when I see that on a building it's inaccessible.

Xaquin wrote: »

I'm more impressed that that balcony is functional. More often than not when I see that on a building it's inaccessible.

those false balconies are called juliets or balconets

I don't much care for them

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I started liking juiliets better when I realized they were just guard rails for big open windows. The... protruding? is just an architectural artifact I (and presumably Xaquin) can live without.

My firm did a fire station with a bunch of them

They were originally actual balconies, but the budget went down and they were pretty quickly turned into juliets

We also lost the super cool green roof portion

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    When Spanish architect Ricardo Bofill stumbled upon an abandoned cement factory in 1973, he saw opportunity in the ruins. Bofill bought the early twentieth-century compound and, together with local Catalan craftsmen, transformed the sprawling structure of silos and compounds into an incredible fairytale home that blends surrealism, brutalism, and modernism.

Ricardo-Bofill-La-Fabrica-50-889x619.jpg

Fairytale-Cement-Factory-889x572.jpg

Ricardo-Bofill-La-Fabrica-28-889x619.jpg

Ricardo-Bofill-La-Fabrica-7-889x619.jpg

More pics

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That is amazing. I would live there in a heartbeat. It is amazing how a decent amount of nature and a lot of warm lighting can transform a place.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    things like that make me 1: love my profession and 2: want to create something unique on a smaller scale in my home

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh my god i just stumbled across an 18th century didactic poem about antiquing

I don't know what thread to put this in but apparently the dude also wrote one about landscaping so I'm putting it here

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    http://architizer.com/blog/brutalism-in-ruins/
    As far back as the 18th century, people have been fascinated with ruins as picturesque compositions, but our collective obsession with the shells of forgotten architecture is not limited to quaint abbeys, run-down warehouses, and rural cottages.

In the town of Fregene on the outskirts of Rome, Italy, photographer and urban explorer Oliver Astrologo has been documenting a very different kind of deteriorated building: architect Giuseppe Perugini’s Casa Sperimentale (experimental house), a wild, eclectic ode to Brutalism that is slowly crumbling away on a wooded plot near the coast.

joo4iHP.png?1
    GZG5ODd.jpg?1
    jdOa9Gv.png?1
    KGxjSAJ.jpg?1

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    not entirely sure what's going on in that third photo visually, not sure where glass ends and empty space begins in that floor

VRXwDW7.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think the graffiti actually improves it
    like I'm not even saying that as a diss against brutalism, I genuinely think the graffiti adds an interesting element to the aesthetic

BahamutZERO.gif
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    That 3rd picture looks like something out of portal

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The very edge of a city: Mexico City's deepest hinterlands – in pictures

The triangular neighbourhood at the back of the picture – another hillside site with few entrace points – is one of Greater Mexico City’s most dangerous neighbourhoods, La Presa in Ecatepec.
    2048.jpg?w=1010&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=a4993592181ba79be9d7bbafe4b703c6

The city centre seen from La Caldera volcano in La Paz. The bright lights are the headlights of cars driving back to the city’s poorer eastern periphery as they come back from work in central parts of the megalopolis.
    2048.jpg?w=1010&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=e9ce468c6e7c0b24507a0647ae6f4cb1

Self-built stairs – such as these in Ecatepec – are one of the most successful adaptations made by communities in hilly neighbourhoods.
    2048.jpg?w=1010&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=8bb5d63aec763be796b370ba10bdf466

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Hey, anyone got a little spare money and feel like buying the UK's Smallest Officially Listed Castle?

uk-smallest-castle-for-sale-mollys-lodge-7.jpg
    uk-smallest-castle-for-sale-mollys-lodge-12.jpg
    uk-smallest-castle-for-sale-mollys-lodge-10.jpg
    uk-smallest-castle-for-sale-mollys-lodge-1.jpg
    uk-smallest-castle-for-sale-mollys-lodge-8.jpg

It also includes a guest house over the garage
    uk-smallest-castle-for-sale-mollys-lodge-6.jpg
    uk-smallest-castle-for-sale-mollys-lodge-3.jpg

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh my gosh it is adorable.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Quick, someone give me the money to buy that and also move to the UK and in exchange you can stay in the guest house.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    No, me! This is exactly my dream house castle!

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I can chip in..... $20
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Quick, someone give me the money to buy that and also move to the UK and in exchange you can stay in the guest house.

"in the Guest House"

...with the horses..

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I can chip in..... $20
    JayKaos wrote: »

"in the Guest House"

...with the horses..

Yes, exactly. See, totally worth it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I'm like two months late to the depressing American mall talk but a few years ago one of my city's older malls closed up and I was waiting for my wife one day, for...I don't remember why.

Anyway, I decided to kill some time walking around the empty mall and maybe eat at the food court. I was just about to leave when I passed the greatest store I'd ever seen. It was an old art gallery selling paintings and posters and the like. The sign said "Going out of business. Art for sale." It was a professionally made sign.

Below it, in hastily scrawled letters on a white banner, was "Also Scooters." Sure enough, there were about two dozen moped scooters just like chilling in the art gallery ready to be sold.

I'm not sure if two stores combined to save rental costs or if the art gallery owner decided to branch out and it failed and he was trying to liquidate or what.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular