As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOG.com | AI are creating hyper-detailed HD Kilrathi hair

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, this thread moves a little slower than the Steam one, sadly!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    at least it's fall here's in brazil now

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    SLEEPY SHEEP INSOMNIA SALE - A ROUND-THE-CLOCK STREAM OF DEALS. NONSTOP 'TILL THE GAMES RUN OUT.

currently about 60 or so copies of Wtcher 3 at half price.

EDIT: and they're gone, but should give you an idea of what's gonna be on offer.

My problem with W3 being 50% off is that GMG has had it at around 53% or so for the past month or two. It also seems that they've bumped the price back up to $60 today (I checked the price yesterday and it was still sitting at $27).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

looks like they've updated the games on sale, so if you didn't see anything you wanted before it might be worth having another look.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Thanks for the heads up :) I just logged in and was very tempted by Rebel Galaxy for $11.99

I've resisted so far, though.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Renounded Explorers is mine! Do we have any idea what the secret free game is after 10 purchases?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Renounded Explorers is mine! Do we have any idea what the secret free game is after 10 purchases?

its randomly picked from the games that are included in the sale and weighted towards games that you don't already own.

also, i grapped Renowned Explorers too. hadn't even heard of the game before but it look interesting. only given it a couple of short bursts though, so still looking forward to giving it a proper try out.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

its randomly picked from the games that are included in the sale and weighted towards games that you don't already own.

also, i grapped Renowned Explorers too. hadn't even heard of the game before but it look interesting. only given it a couple of short bursts though, so still looking forward to giving it a proper try out.

The combat "attacks" and associated animations caught my eye a while ago. Pretty stoked to get it at a good price

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I managed to get 5 games so far. My problem is that I keep on forgetting to check the site and when I do it is a game I don't want or already own..

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Anyone else seeing "OH NO, OUR STOCK OF FREEBIES JUST GOT WOLFED DOWN. " where the purchase countdown was?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • Options
    yeah it would seem so. clicking on the 'Learn More' button now says "Sorry, we're all out of freebies". wonder if they'll be able to add more or if that sale is drawing to a close anyway.

• Options
    classic X-COM titles are on GOG and on sale!

https://www.gog.com/promo/launch_promo_xcom_pack

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Have they ever given any reason why ceasar 4 and emperor:rotmk aren't on gog? I have played the crap out of Zeus and Pharoah, and the next Impressions games apparently aren't available for sale anywhere period.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    classic X-COM titles are on GOG and on sale!

https://www.gog.com/promo/launch_promo_xcom_pack

Thanks for the reminder. I completely forgot about this deal so went to pick it up before it goes away. Never played X-com before but heard great things about it so really wanted to try it out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    You'll want OpenXcom then. This is much better than a DOSbox implementation. This is a reverse engineered and unified game client that keeps all of the vanilla gameplay of X-Com, adds a bit of quality of life improvements such as tooltips and even includes some new features like a skirmish mode. I don't do oldschool X-Com without it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Also keep in mind that even with OpenXcom, the '94 game is rough. It's one of the greatest strategy experiences of all time, doing things that even the new XCOMS don't, but it's obtuse and forgiving, and you gotta brace yourself for what you're going to experience.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'd recommend hitting up a starting hints/tips guide, as there is definitely a correct strategy and things to be done at the start of the game, but it's not well signposted and the game gives no indication that you've done it wrong until well after it's too late.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I'd recommend hitting up a starting hints/tips guide, as there is definitely a correct strategy and things to be done at the start of the game, but it's not well signposted and the game gives no indication that you've done it wrong until well after it's too late.

Back in the 90s this is what we called "replayability". :bzz:

• Options
    Gotcha, thanks for all the tips! Will have to put these down and save them for when I play the game.
    Donnicton wrote: »

Back in the 90s this is what we called "replayability". :bzz:

I'm used to this since I've been taught the way of gaming from the 80s. Especially learned in the ways of the quarter.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Have they ever given any reason why ceasar 4 and emperor:rotmk aren't on gog? I have played the crap out of Zeus and Pharoah, and the next Impressions games apparently aren't available for sale anywhere period.

Like all things, I'm sure it's licensing. Zeus, Pharoah, Caesar, and the games like them were all Sierra games, and after Vivendi sold the company off, who knows where they ended up. Activision/Blizzard may not own them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    That is sad, but since the other three games were put up so long ago I assume it is the case. I actually have an old copy of Emperor put up in a box somewhere, but my laptop that I play them on doesn't actually have an optical disc drive.

• Options
    don't waste time with plain X-Com, Enforcer is the real treasure.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    don't waste time with plain X-Com, Enforcer is the real treasure.

"treasure"

• Options
    I'd rather play Enforcer than TFTD.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You've just been enforced, @Drake.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    TFTD was the first one I played. Enemy Unknown is like a baby's toy.

• Options
    Tftd was the first one I played, too. Played the original and its like all of the sudden I get decent weapons with autofire in the early game and enemies dont take a billion hits to kill?

• Options
    I know right? Why even bother at that point.

• Options
    See the thread title agrees with me

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    TFTD was the first one I played. Enemy Unknown is like a baby's toy.

Then TFTD is the same baby toy, but made from uranium and with all the rounded edges replaced with knives.

• Options
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah. 8-)

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I'd rather play Enforcer than TFTD.
    Heathen. If you don't want to play the game with flying crysalids and giant lobsters that are immune to everything but getting up in their face with a stick, then I don't know why you play videogames.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tftd was the first one I played, too. Played the original and its like all of the sudden I get decent weapons with autofire in the early game and enemies dont take a billion hits to kill?

Started with X-Com, moved to TftD and was all like "this is hard as balls!"...went back to X-Com and was like "Okay, without the threat of Lobstermen, this is a cakewalk......oh shit! I forgot about Chrysalids!"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    That all being said I think that I liked TFTD better, the ambiance and atmosphere was really good. Xcom was fighting the aliens on your terms, TFTD was fighting on theirs.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    TFTD also had cruise ships.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I prefer the original, but then I haven't played TFTD in any meaningful way since probably 1997.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    That all being said I think that I liked TFTD better, the ambiance and atmosphere was really good. Xcom was fighting the aliens on your terms, TFTD was fighting on theirs.

Investigating crashed UFOs in TFTD was like investigating a bear's lair with the objective of poking at the bear. But you're weighted down by also being underwater, and the bear isn't.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    I prefer the original, but then I haven't played TFTD in any meaningful way since probably 1997.

I feel like that is somewhat of an understatement for you...

• Options
    TFTD also had cruise ships.
    Cruise ship terror missions were "welp! I guess that liner is lost. I SAID THAT LINER IS LOST. MOVING ON".