As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel Heroics] Young Avengers: The Rising Tide (GAME ON!)

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Dale Murphy - 3PP

The crates finally loaded, Dale shut the doors and climbed into the driver's seat. "We got the crates, it'll be fine. It's not like we blew up an elementary school."

Marking 1 XP for Giving Support to Another Hero.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Zoe Carter, 1 pp, 1 XP

"You hush up, Jim and Pam were adorable. And Toby having a secret crush on her was so sad. Kind of like most of the rest of his character, really. Any volunteers to be Toby?"

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Majestic Orb Spider -PP2

"I...I don't know who any of those people are."

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Chimera - 3PP

Crossing to the van, Salvador slaps Orb Spider on the back of the shoulder in a friendly fashion.

"I think that means you're Toby."

Slumping into the van opposite the wide back seat from Tabitha, still shirtless, Sal let out an amused sigh.

I count two instances of Beast Within shifting, for 2 XP.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Ok, so I'm back. If you guys can add your XP to your sheets, that would be great. Time to start the next scene, Action Scene with the previous Doom Pool of 2d8; 2d6. All previous PP is still yours. Remember the PM about PP, you'll need them...

The helicopter comes to view over the warehouses and immediately shines a massive spotlight on the scene. A wreaked van with forklift slammed into it, bodies of thugs and mercs across the ground, some sort of moving, but none looking like they are getting back up. Jack comes in over the comms. "Get out of there now and you might get ahead start on the cars. They are less than a minute from you. Get rid of that Helicopter before coming back here. And get that van moving."

Spending a d6 to create a d6 "Bad guys Cars" Timer Complication. This little neat trick from the official unreleased Annihilation Book creates a Timer that is going to grow each round (It's basically it's own NPC). It represents the ground between you guys and the Bad Guys. The higher the dice, the closer and more dangerous they are. The lower the die, the farther they are. Any time something happens that slows you guys up, the bad guys get to add this die to their roll. You can "attack" the die by making a roll against the Doom Pool. A successful roll drops it down by 1. If the die reaches d12, the next turn it doubles to 2d12 and gets added to the Doom Pool, letting me end the scene with something bad happening again. Once the die is gone, they lost you. However, because of the Helicopter watching you, the die can't be reduced below a d4 until it's gone. This is one of my favorite mechanics from all the books and I've wanted to try it out for a while now. So, who's up for a car chase?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Dale Murphy - 3PP

Dale stomped on the gas. "Kate, keep an eye on the helicopter. Can you hit it with your bow if it gets too close? I've got the road." The technology embedded in his skull calculated the optimum shifting time while optical edge tracking plotted a best fit course for evading pursuit. "I was, uh. Built for this. Heh. Literally."
    Geth, roll 1d10;1d8;1d8;1d10 for Buddy, Ghostlok Prototype, Cybernetic Senses, and Tech Expert to outrun pursuit
    Geth, roll 1d8;1d8;1d6;1d6 for Doom Pool (feel free to ignore)

Edit: Geth really hates me, it's almost funny. I'll blow a PP to keep that 2 to give myself a fighting chance, 11 w/ d4 effect.

new header: Dale Murphy - 2PP

Buddy, Ghostlok Prototype, Cybernetic Senses, and Tech Expert to outrun pursuit:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]
    Doom Pool (feel free to ignore):
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

jdarksun on
  • Options
    @jdarksun I forgot about this last night because I was trying to catch up but since you are driving you get to use the van datafile with your own. Anyone who is using the van in a meaningful way can do so but since he's driving, it's most likely he's going to be doing so. The Scene Distinctions are Busy Streets, Dark Alleyways, and Traffic Lights.
    Getaway Van

Distinctions
    Big, Bulky Van
    Drive It Like You Stole It

Powerset
    Ol' Rust Bucket

Van Durability d10 Engine Speed d8

SFX: Large Vehicle. When you use a Ol' Rust Bucket Power in a roll against a person and not a vehicle, step up the Effect Die by 1.
    Limit: Vehicle. Your van takes stress separately from you and is destroyed by taking more than d12 stress. Anyone opposing a roll made using a Ol' Rust Bucket power may use the van's stress or the driver’s stress.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Boom-Boom

"If one of you can reach the helicopter, I can give you a couple time-delayed booms to plant on it. Totally safe; like slapping on a bandaid. Well, mostly safe. They're still totes bombs."

If one of my teammates can chuck them or fly them up to the chopper, I'll try to create a Time Bomb asset for him or her.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    "Drive It Like You Stole It" is amazing and perfect. Tossing Engine Speed into the check:
    Geth, roll 1d8 fro Engine Speed
    Edit, I'll take it. 14 w/ d4

fro Engine Speed:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I'm assuming you are rolling to lower the Timer Complication, yes?

• Options
    @jdarksun Since you rolled, you pick who goes next. Any allies, the Helicopter, or the Car Mob.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Doom Pool: 1d6; 2d8

The Helicopter sped up and hovered lower to the ground. Suddenly, the spotlight turned on, flooding everything in a bright, white light.

Team d8, Eyes in the Sky d8, Spotlight d8, Vehicle d8]

14 d8 to create a "Blinded by the Light" Complication on Ghost-In-The-Machine if you fail your roll.

Geth roll 4#1d8

4#1d8 4 # 8 [1d8=8] 5 [1d8=5] 6 [1d8=6] 3 [1d8=3]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Dale Murphy - 2PP

Dale threw a hand over his eyes, suddenly blinded by the bright illumination. "Kate, Tabitha, can one of you do something about that helicopter?" He gunned the van's engines, swerving back and forth trying to avoid the spotlight. "My implants can't compensate for this."
    Geth, roll 1d8;1d4;1d8;1d10 for Team, Ghostlok Prototype (+1PP), Cybernetic Senses, Engine Speed, Vehicle Master

Edit: 14 w/ d10 effect. Action ties reaction, so Dale gains the complication - but the d10 is greater than the d8, so it's stepped back to d6.

Edit: new header, Dale Murphy - 3PP, Blinded by the Light d6 Complication

Team, Ghostlok Prototype (+1PP), Cybernetic Senses, Engine Speed, Vehicle Master:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]
    1d10 5 [1d10=5]

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Oops, forgot Engine Speed.
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Engine Speed

Engine Speed:
    1d8 8 [1d8=8]

• Options
    Sell the 1?

• Options
    You can. I can only buy them if you sell them to me. But to keep it rolling, you get a PP and I'm going to pass it to @dresdenphile so Tabitha can create her assist.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Boom-Boom - 2PP, 1XP

"Coming right up!" I swirl my hands around and come up with sphere of pink energy slightly bigger than a softball that slightly sticky to the touch. It pulses slowly as I offer it up to the group. "You got about a minute to get this up there on the helicopter and get the hell out of the way. The faster it pulses, the less time you have."

Geth roll 3#1d8;1d10;1d6 to create Time Bomb Asset

(Team, Boom Goes the Time Bomb, & Combat Expert; Concussive Blast; Tick, Tick-Boom SFX to add d6 and step up the effect die). That'll also net me 3XP under my 3, 2, 1... Milestone.

Edit: I'll spend a PP to make that 16 with a d12 effect.

to create Time Bomb Asset:
    3#1d8 3 # 7 [1d8=7] 3 [1d8=3] 5 [1d8=5]
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Geth roll 3#1d8; 1#1d6

@dresdenphile to pick whose next.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Dumbass phone...

So you got your d12 "Timb Bomb" assist.
    Geth roll 3#1d8;1#1d8

3#1d8 3 # 3 [1d8=3] 6 [1d8=6] 4 [1d8=4]
    1#1d8 1 # 1 [1d8=1]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    @Kirindal is up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Ms. Marvel - 1 PP 1 XP

"I'll take the bomb." Kamala took the offered pink orb gingerly into her hands. She looked out at the pursuing helicopter, lights blasting through all the windows. "Shouldn't take that long anyway... Just a hop and a skip..." The plan cohered in her mind and Kamala was certain that she could do it easily. She just needed not to miss the leap. She threw open the van door and crouched down and got ready to leap, the little voice in her head gibbering something about faceplanting into the road.

Before she completely psyched herself out, Kamala lunged out towards the helicopter, momentarily causing the shocks on the van to squeal and the rear to sink slightly as her legs became dense coils and unspooled "There better be a full minuttteeeeee...."
    Geth, roll 3#1d8;1#1d6 for Superhero Fangirl, Leaping, Acrobatic Expert, Team

Superhero Fangirl, Leaping, Acrobatic Expert, Team:
    3#1d8 3 # 5 [1d8=5] 1 [1d8=1] 4 [1d8=4]
    1#1d6 1 # 2 [1d6=2]

Kirindal on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Doom Pool: 2d6; 3d8

Ms. Marvel spinning up from the car catches the pilot by surprise and he doesn't move fast enough to avoid the flying girl and her glowing orb.

Solo d10, Large Flying Vehicle d4 (+d6 to the Doom Pool), Flying d8, Vehicle d8

So you got 9 d6 (Possibly, you get to roll that d12 to your actions still) vs. my 6 d4. Depending on how that d12 rolls, you may do d6 Stress to the Helicopter when it blows. Sell that 1?

Geth roll 1#1d10;2#1d8;1#1d4

1#1d10 1 # 3 [1d10=3]
    2#1d8 2 # 3 [1d8=3] 1 [1d8=1]
    1#1d4 1 # 2 [1d4=2]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
  • Options
    I'll sell that 1. @Grunt's Ghosts

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    @Kirindal I believe you still get a D12 to roll due to the assist. Unless I'm misreading.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Ah, right. I forgot about that... go go, reading comprehension

Geth roll 1d12 for 'Time Bomb' assist.

'Time Bomb' assist:
    1d12 10 [1d12=10]

• Options
    Well, with that you got two options:

1- (Best for you) d12 effect die. You've already won against my roll so d12 effect die would be pretty much a 1-Hit KO.

2- Go 13 d8, with is extraordinary success and so its a d10 effect die. Not a KO but if you want to put an complication on the Helicopter, that a big die.

I didn't think about it when I posted before but I'd go with 1. Also pick who is next.

• Options
    Just to move this along, I'm going to assume that you pick 1. @Kirindal to pick who is next.

The time bomb goes off, briefly showering Mr. Marvel and the van in a shower of sparks and metal. The helicopter, or what's left of it, spins wildly before crashing into the water behind the warehouses. Dale finally leaves the warehouses and makes it onto the on-ramp, heading straight for the highway. Behind him, the lights from the Bad Guys' cars inch ever so closer.

• Options
    Picking @OptimusZed

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Salvador Cardenaz - 3PP

"So many explosions. Everywhere we go, explosions."

Sal cowers between his teammates in the back bench seat, looking very self-conscious without a shirt. Standing as best he can in the weaving vehicle, he pushes his way to the door and slams it open. The rails of the highway speed past and wind fills the cabin of the vehicle.

"I'll slow them down and meet you back at base," he says, before leaping from the open door.

The young man's body launches into a roll, shifting into a bizarre creature, half moose and half panther. Landing somewhat roughly on the pavement, the monstrosity's claws tear long, curling gouges in the asphalt. As cars swerve and honk around him, Sal lopes leisurely down the blacktop to put himself in good position to harass the pursuing vehicles.

Ok, I'm basically trying to make myself into a werewolf-rhino thing that can meaningfully engage with several speeding vehicles in a semi-chase scenario. Let's go with Solo d8 + Shapeshifting d10 + Monster of Manhattan d8 + Battle Form SFX d6 + Acrobatic Expert d8

Geth roll 1d8;1d10;1d8;1d6 for Highway Horror.

Highway Horror:
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Forgot my Acrobatics die.

Geth roll 1d8 for More Horror.

Ok, so that looks like 14 with a d10, which steps up to d12. We'll call it a Charging Horror asset, assuming it makes it past the Doom Pool.

More Horror:
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Doom Pool: 2d6; 3d8 Timer Die d4

The cars start to try to push and move so they could dodge the massive creature that suddenly appeared in the road. A light flashes as someone takes a picture with their phone from the other lane.

Geth roll 2#1d6;3#1d8 for Doom Pool

14 d8 so you got it as actions beat reactions in ties. You got "Charging Horror" d12 to add to your next roll.

Doom Pool:
    2#1d6 2 # 6 [1d6=6] 2 [1d6=2]
    3#1d8 3 # 3 [1d8=3] 8 [1d8=8] 2 [1d8=2]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    @OptimusZed to decide who is next. Also, Bad Guy cars haven't gone yet either.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Bring on the bad guys!

Edit: do assets only last one turn, then?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Doom Pool: 2d6; 3d8 Timer Die d4

Chimera finishes his shapeshifting and looks up to see a stream of cars heading towards him. Most are normal people who are swerving out of the way of the massive beast. However, there are a few black cars heading straight towards him. From out of the windows and a few sunroofs, bad guys with guns start popping their heads out and unleash a hail of bullets at Salvador...

Team 15d10, Swarm of Metal d8, Weapons d8, Combat d8

Yeah, there are a lot of cars...

And not a single 10. Wow... so 17 d10

Geth roll 15#1d10;3#1d8

15#1d10 15 # 2 [1d10=2] 8 [1d10=8] 5 [1d10=5] 6 [1d10=6] 7 [1d10=7] 7 [1d10=7] 4 [1d10=4] 6 [1d10=6] 5 [1d10=5] 8 [1d10=8] 4 [1d10=4] 5 [1d10=5] 4 [1d10=4] 9 [1d10=9] 5 [1d10=5]
    3#1d8 3 # 6 [1d8=6] 8 [1d8=8] 6 [1d8=6]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Salvador Cardenaz - 3PP

No Opportunities to activate either. Way to be boring, Geth.

I'm going to roll this and then narrate a bit in response. Looks like Teenage Immortality Complex d8, Enhanced Speed d8, Solo d8, Combat Expert d8 and Charging Horror d12.

Geth roll 4#1d8;1d12

Ok, then. I've got some Plot Points, so I'm going to spend them.

8+5, +5 for a PP is 18. Another PP gives me a d12 effect die, which I'm going to use as Stress to pulverize one of the pursuing vehicles. So that's 2 PP spent, 1 remaining.

Also 1 XP.

The huge beast charges directly into traffic, weaving somewhat awkwardly between panicked drivers, to bring its now-huge forehead prow to bear on one of the pursing vehicles, bullets ricocheting off his armored hide. With an audible roar, the beast takes to the air very briefly, bringing his full mass down a newly-formed set of rhino horns as they impacted the front edge of the black sedan full of automatic weapons in dark suits.

I think that's all copacetic, right? PP gets me extra die on the total, then adds an effect (stress) to the roll.

4#1d8 4 # 8 [1d8=8] 5 [1d8=5] 5 [1d8=5] 1 [1d8=1]
    1d12 8 [1d12=8]

OptimusZed on