As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing an SSD

fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
So I rather impulsively bought an SSD to house my computer's OS as my current partition of my 1TB drive is running out of space.

I bought a Samsung 120GB SSD, but I did not realize it didn't come with a bay / SATA cables to connect to my mobo.

Am I safe buying these bays / SATA cables to install this SSD and will I have issues trying to clone my partitioned OS drive to the SSD?

Thanks in advance!

daleyk.png

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    1. No, you don't want those sata cables. You want something like this which will connect directly to your motherboard SATA ports.
    2. You don't even really need a bay adapter. Since the SSD has no moving parts, it doesn't need to be secured to something very well. If you never move your computer, you can just stick the plugged-in SSD wherever, or get some velcro dots or something to secure it somewhere in the case.

For installing the OS, I suggest following the instructions here. I would unplug your other drive and only have the SSD plugged in while you install the OS, just for simplicity - you won't have to sweat about which drive you are formatting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    1. No, you don't want those sata cables. You want something like this which will connect directly to your motherboard SATA ports.
    2. You don't even really need a bay adapter. Since the SSD has no moving parts, it doesn't need to be secured to something very well. If you never move your computer, you can just stick the plugged-in SSD wherever, or get some velcro dots or something to secure it somewhere in the case.

For installing the OS, I suggest following the instructions here. I would unplug your other drive and only have the SSD plugged in while you install the OS, just for simplicity - you won't have to sweat about which drive you are formatting.

Thanks!

daleyk.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I'm not proud of it, but my secondary SSD is secured in my case with electrical tape. So, you know, whatever works!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu