As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the Australia Thread. ytrap tsinummoc eht nioj

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    So your courts might rule that the offshore processing of asylum seekers is illegal?

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    They might, but both the government and the opposition are desperately trying to rush things through parliament to stop that.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Unless I'm misreading it and devoid of greater context for the talk, that series of quotes reads to me like that the Minister was pulled into an ad hoc press conference (my understanding of a doorstop).

He was saying that there wasn't anything to report at that time and if there was, he would have called his own press conference.

Like, I'm not saying standing in defence of what the fuck the LNP is up to re refugees, but it seems to me that those quotes have been misinterpreted

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I dunno mate, a polly anywhere in the world going "I am sure you can work it out" is an objectively shitty and stupid response to any journo ever.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Unless I'm misreading it and devoid of greater context for the talk, that series of quotes reads to me like that the Minister was pulled into an ad hoc press conference (my understanding of a doorstop).

He was saying that there wasn't anything to report at that time and if there was, he would have called his own press conference.

Like, I'm not saying standing in defence of what the fuck the LNP is up to re refugees, but it seems to me that those quotes have been misinterpreted

As I recall it happened just after a people-smuggling vessel was intercepted and diverted. It was actually a while back and the details are fuzzy, I'd have to look it up. But it definitely was more a case of "what boat?look over there!" than a reporter playing gotcha.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Their absolute disdain for their constituents is obvious.

It couldn't be any more palpable if it was run through a PalpMax 4000.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    tynic wrote: »

As I recall it happened just after a people-smuggling vessel was intercepted and diverted. It was actually a while back and the details are fuzzy, I'd have to look it up. But it definitely was more a case of "what boat?look over there!" than a reporter playing gotcha.

Ah, okay. in that case yeah, it's as preposterous as it sounds!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    They might, but both the government and the opposition are desperately trying to rush things through parliament to stop that.

So they can just make a law that says they can detain people offshore?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    So I went and looked it up, that interview was from last June when the boat full of asylum seekers was stranded off Christmas Island in heavy storms, and he said there were 'no significant events' going on at sea. I remember at the time thinking it was a spectacular attempt to ignore both reality and the humanity of refugees.

tynic on
  • Options
    Welp!

You would think at some point I would get tired of being disappointed by the LNP and would cease looking for some kind of balance

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    pimento on
  • Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Looks like I have an interview coming up for a new role! Somewhere in the UAE.
    Feelings: mixed.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Ayyy I managed to get a job! first in a long while. Basically an office monkey for a sheetmetal manufacturer, pretty much dedicated to roof flashing (gutters etc.)

The company is the perfect size and seems geared towards the right thing (increase in productivity means branching out, not layoffs).

And the boss highballed my pay so hahahaaaaa

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    High five man. I got a potential Seattle role.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    You will truly become the 1%.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Welp!

You would think at some point I would get tired of being disappointed by the LNP and would cease looking for some kind of balance

if you make a genuine attempt to be fair and even-handed in your assessment of political situations it allows you to be so much more appalled when they fail to live up to even your generous standards

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Whoops wrong thread. Um

What up folks?

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The ground.

• Options
    My doctor says my appal gland has been overworked, so I try to give it a break by assuming everyone is a selfish short-sighted dickweasel until proven otherwise

Frankly in aus politics this rarely steers me wrong

• Options
    Ayyy I managed to get a job! first in a long while. Basically an office monkey for a sheetmetal manufacturer, pretty much dedicated to roof flashing (gutters etc.)

The company is the perfect size and seems geared towards the right thing (increase in productivity means branching out, not layoffs).

And the boss highballed my pay so hahahaaaaa

@The Black Hunter

Congratulations! :biggrin:

HbqHs9.jpg

• Options
    That photo at first glance looks like there's something sticking right out of that poor things eye

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Looks like the boyfriend is indeed coming over to Perth for a visit soon. Should be here from the last week of July, staying for... Well, at least a week. Not sure exactly how long since I need to work out some details like getting some work off and where he's going to stay (and when) while we're in Perth and not visiting my best friend down in Bussleton.

Regardless, we'll have to organise a board game session while he's in town!

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Alright guys

I think I have the offer I'm going with.

I'll be boarding with three fellow students. $180 a week... but it includes bills AND meals. Like, every meal. And apparently the landlady is an excellent cook.

I'll be going to check the place out on Saturday, at a party one of the leaving tenants is holding. I'll probably be moving in next week!

Also I got to meet a whole bunch of cool people that I'll be hanging around for the next year. It really has been a lovely day!

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Sizzler is closing down shops in Perth?! Where am I going to go for my 13th birthday now?!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    Sizzler was still a thing?

Shepparton has a full on Pizza Hut that is still operating in full on 90's mode

• Options
    Sounds full on.

• Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    Full on to the maxx

• Options
    The red rooster near my place just closed

Made me a sad panda

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    We lost Sizzler and Pizza Hut up here a while back. I'm expecting Red Rooster and/or Hungry Jacks to drop off next.

On the flip side we've seen quite a few independent diners pop up recently that all seem to be doing really well.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Awko wrote: »

I know the Sizzler in Morley was still clinging desperately to life, I wandered in there a little while ago. It looked EXACTLY the same as it did back in the mid 90's...

• Options
    Awko wrote: »

I know the Sizzler in Morley was still clinging desperately to life, I wandered in there a little while ago. It looked EXACTLY the same as it did back in the mid 90's...

Complete with the lady puking in the salad bar and hiding it under some lettuce?

broken image link
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cortunately I never suffered witnessing shenanigans like that any time I was there. I just used to get a plate of spaghetti, a plate of the potato skins, and then about 3 or 4 bowls of ice cream covered in sprinkles.

Why yes, I DO currently need to lose some weight, how did you know?

• Options
    Well, I just found out I can't give bone marrow donation or probably blood donations anymore.

CIjFCwxVEAA1ygL.png:large

Welp.

I didn't give blood often, since it's incredibly stressful for me and sometime they've just had to stop, but this is still mega irritating.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Yeah that shit sucks!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I am staying with my parents in Box Hill South and me and my mum just hid from some religious doorknockers. I wonder if they were @Somestickguy 's friends?

broken image link
  • Options
    Oh, that was me. Sorry.

But seriously, do you have a moment to discuss letting Cthulhu devour your heart?

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    don't let this trickster trick you with his...with his tricks

Vote Shub-Niggurath for strong family values

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    I'm for The Kraken, Terror of the Deep, mainly due to it's strong anti-boats policy

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Personally I support Azathoth because fuck everything

• Options
    That's always been my policy.

This discussion has been closed.