As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] RIP Jo Cox

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Is this Facebook album of nearly endless racist vitriol visible to the public? https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3

Yes.

And a cursory sampling of it is just as awful as I expected it to be.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    KetBra wrote: »
    That makes 12 departures?

Yes it does.

It's just been pointed out to me that the £50mill a day for the NHS figure that Vote Leave insist they never really meant is still up on the background of their website.

*edit* Looks like it's on their Twitter and Facebook page too!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    More than a million people regret voting Leave, poll shows
    More than a million ‘Brexiters’ have become Regrexiters now they have seen the political and economic fallout, according to a poll carried out by Survation.

In total, 7% of those surveyed said they wished they had not voted for Britain to leave the European Union – equal to around 1,130,000 people.

Around 4% said they regretted voting Remain, which works out at around 696,000 people.

The numbers would not be enough to change the referendum result, which showed 1.27 million more people were in favour of Leave.

But it would cut the victory margin down to less than a million.

homer.gif?w=620&h=465&crop=1

What's up with those 4% that regret voting Remain? Are they seeing this shit show and think "Cool, I just wish I had been responsible for this."?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    honovere wrote: »
    More than a million people regret voting Leave, poll shows
    More than a million ‘Brexiters’ have become Regrexiters now they have seen the political and economic fallout, according to a poll carried out by Survation.

In total, 7% of those surveyed said they wished they had not voted for Britain to leave the European Union – equal to around 1,130,000 people.

Around 4% said they regretted voting Remain, which works out at around 696,000 people.

The numbers would not be enough to change the referendum result, which showed 1.27 million more people were in favour of Leave.

But it would cut the victory margin down to less than a million.

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/homer.gif?w=620&h=465&crop=1

What's up with those 4% that regret voting Remain? Are they seeing this shit show and think "Cool, I just wish I had been responsible for this."?

It's possible there are Leavies who thought Leave had no chance so voted with the likely outcome.

With 33 million votes, that's enough to find any rationale for either decision.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Anything below 2% in polls is usually just noise. People mishearing the question, or answering it weirdly, or being contrary jerks.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    God damn that Bryant resignation letter doesn't hold back. Worst of the resignations so far in terms of MP standing for Mr Corbyn.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    God damn that Bryant resignation letter doesn't hold back. Worst of the resignations so far in terms of MP standing for Mr Corbyn.

Yeah, I was just going to say he didn't mince his words at all.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Some levity that just popped up on my Facebook feed. Top marks in particular for the Glaswegian Nurse "wondering where the fucking her 350 million quid is."
    Right. Fuck this. We're ALL up shit creek and we need a paddle. Now, not in three months.

Fellow Remain voters: Enough already. Yes, we're all pissed off but navel gazing ain't gonna help. Not all 17 million Leave voters can possibly be racist northern pensioners without an O level to their name. Maybe they have a point about this quitting the EU thing? Maybe not. Whatever, we are where we are and no amount a whinging is gonna change that. Allegedly we're the intelligent ones, so get your thinking caps on.

Leave voters. Well done. Good game. We hear you. Now you need to get stuck in to the aftermath and not just piss off back to Wetherspoons. (Just banter, twats!). And the first person to say they "want their country back" gets deported to fucking Gibraltar. OK?

Politicians.

David. Fuck off. Shut the door behind you. Now.

George. You may be a twat but you're our twat. Plus you know the passwords for our Junior Savers account. Get your calculator. Drop the face-like-a-slapped-ass routine. You're on.

Boris. Sorry mate. That photo of you abseiling by your scrotum over the London Olympics while waving a Union Jack can't ever be un-taken. Plus, you'll never be able to appear on Question Time again without some sturdy Glaswegian nurse asking where the fuck her 350 million quid is. Not only will she have a very good point, she'll be wearing a T shirt that shows you gurning in front of that fucking bus! No captains hat for you I'm afraid.

Theresa. You're in charge love. Get the biggest shoulder pads you've got. We need Ming The Merciless in drag and you'll scare the shit out of 'em.

Nicola. Yep. Fair cop. You probably could get us on a technicality, as could London. But we fucking love shortbread. And oil. And to be honest you're probably the best politician we've got, so we need you on side. Sort your lot out and we promise never to mention that Jimmy Krankie thing again (although it is pretty uncanny) and we'll make you a Dame once we're sorted. Bring Ruth Davidson. She kicks ass.

Opposition party. We'll need one. Someone take Jeremy and John back to the British Legion Club where you found them. Take Nigel as well. Give back their sandals, buy them a pint, then go to Heathrow and collect David Milliband. Fuck it. Lets gets Ed Balls as well. He keeps George on his toes. I think he works on the lottery kiosk at Morrisons now?

Oh. And Mark Carney. Give him a knighthood and tell him to keep that shit coming. We definitely need more of that good shit!

Everyone set? Right. Hold the Easyjet. We're going to Brussels and this ain't no hen party.

‪#‎weneedaplan‬ Share!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Corbyn absolutely needs to step down at this point. How is his position tenable?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Corbyn's "democratic mandate" thing is really starting to annoy me

Principally because it doesn't matter how many people agree with his stances within the membership if he doesn't do anything to put them into effect

It isn't enough to be right, you have to actually win the arguments

japan on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I'm trying to decide if Corbyn is just unnaturally stubborn or outright stupid. Maybe both.

We all know how this works. Even a single cabinet resignation linked to your failings as leader can be enough to bring you down. Several is something you can't recover from. It's always set up so that if you leave early you can leave with some dignity still intact. Maybe even some dwindling amount of influence. The longer you carry on the worse it will get.

• Options

I can't speak for the first source, but Juliet McKenna is an author I've followed for a long time and who I've met in person a few times. Unless she's writing a novel, she's not the type to make stuff up.

• Options
    SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    Finally caught up on the thread, it's been an exhausting few days. I will be applying for Irish dual nationality asap.
    Unchallenged racism on the rise, likely changes to employment law, current social policies still degrading under existing austerity measures, facing an economic downturn whilst conservatives hold a majority and the opposition (both lab and lib) is incompetent... Time to nope the fuck out of this train wreck of a country.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/26/brexit-live-jeremy-corbyn-sacks-hilary-benn-tory-leadership
    Boris Johnson sets out Tory leadership stall

Boris Johnson, who is widely tipped to stand for the leadership of the Conservative party, has broken cover for the first time since the referendum results were announced.

He has set out how he sees Britain navigating the Brexit process and given an indication of how he would run the Conservative party, should he win its leadership.

Despite strong indications from senior leave figures that freedom of movement would be likely to stay in a renegotiated deal with the EU, Johnson claimed Britain would be able to introduce a points-based immigration system while maintaining “access” to the single market.

And, despite some of his Brexit colleagues admitting that there would not be an extra £350m to spend on the NHS as a result of Britain leaving the bloc, he insisted there would be a “substantial sum of money which we will no longer send to Brussels, but which could be used on priorities such as the NHS”.

In his weekly Telegraph column, Johnson said Brexit would “not come in any great rush” and dismissed Nicola Sturgeon’s calls for a second Scottish independence referendum, insisting he did not “detect any real appetite” for one.

And Johnson signalled how he may cast himself in the Tory leadership election, saying: “We must pursue actively the one-nation policies that are among David Cameron’s fine legacy, such as his campaigns on the living wage and life chances.”
    There were more than 16 million who wanted to remain.

They are our neighbours, brothers and sisters who did what they passionately believe was right. In a democracy majorities may decide but everyone is of equal value.

We who are part of this narrow majority must do everything we can to reassure the remainers.

We must reach out, we must heal, we must build bridges - because it is clear that some have feelings of dismay, and of loss, and confusion.
    Johnson expanded on his vision of post-Brexit Britain, writing:
    I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be.

There will still be intense and intensifying European cooperation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment.

EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI - the BDI - has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.
    And he added:
    The only change - and it will not come in any great rush - is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU’s extraordinary and opaque system of legislation: the vast and growing corpus of law enacted by a European Court of Justice from which there can be no appeal.

This will bring not threats, but golden opportunities for this country - to pass laws and set taxes according to the needs of the UK.

Yes, the government will be able to take back democratic control of immigration policy, with a balanced and humane points-based system to suit the needs of business and industry.
    That is a whole lot of stuff that can't happen together.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    OK, I have a semi-serious question: how anti-immigrant is Ireland (both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland)? And Scotland? Do the Scottish and the Northern Irish put their economic interests first, or are they less xenophobic than the English and Welsh? How welcoming is the Republic of Ireland to immigrants?

While I imagine not good, i am betting that, if in personal conversations you explain how much the English are right stupid bastards you will be accepted a lot more.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I keep giggling every time I look at this:

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/26/brexit-live-jeremy-corbyn-sacks-hilary-benn-tory-leadership
    Boris Johnson sets out Tory leadership stall

Boris Johnson, who is widely tipped to stand for the leadership of the Conservative party, has broken cover for the first time since the referendum results were announced.

He has set out how he sees Britain navigating the Brexit process and given an indication of how he would run the Conservative party, should he win its leadership.

Despite strong indications from senior leave figures that freedom of movement would be likely to stay in a renegotiated deal with the EU, Johnson claimed Britain would be able to introduce a points-based immigration system while maintaining “access” to the single market.

And, despite some of his Brexit colleagues admitting that there would not be an extra £350m to spend on the NHS as a result of Britain leaving the bloc, he insisted there would be a “substantial sum of money which we will no longer send to Brussels, but which could be used on priorities such as the NHS”.

In his weekly Telegraph column, Johnson said Brexit would “not come in any great rush” and dismissed Nicola Sturgeon’s calls for a second Scottish independence referendum, insisting he did not “detect any real appetite” for one.

And Johnson signalled how he may cast himself in the Tory leadership election, saying: “We must pursue actively the one-nation policies that are among David Cameron’s fine legacy, such as his campaigns on the living wage and life chances.”
    There were more than 16 million who wanted to remain.

They are our neighbours, brothers and sisters who did what they passionately believe was right. In a democracy majorities may decide but everyone is of equal value.

We who are part of this narrow majority must do everything we can to reassure the remainers.

We must reach out, we must heal, we must build bridges - because it is clear that some have feelings of dismay, and of loss, and confusion.
    Johnson expanded on his vision of post-Brexit Britain, writing:
    I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be.

There will still be intense and intensifying European cooperation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment.

EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI - the BDI - has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.
    And he added:
    The only change - and it will not come in any great rush - is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU’s extraordinary and opaque system of legislation: the vast and growing corpus of law enacted by a European Court of Justice from which there can be no appeal.

This will bring not threats, but golden opportunities for this country - to pass laws and set taxes according to the needs of the UK.

Yes, the government will be able to take back democratic control of immigration policy, with a balanced and humane points-based system to suit the needs of business and industry.
    That is a whole lot of stuff that can't happen together.

It's like he's running on a platform of having his cake, eating it, and simultaneously selling it. Maybe, uh... maybe you shouldn't still be making promises you can't keep?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    As satisfying as it would be to watch Johnson failing at stuff, I think I'd prefer that the stakes were a little less high

• Options
    My name is Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of The Opposition;
    Look on my resounding mandate, ye Blairites, and despair!
    No-one beside him remains. In just one day
    Of that colossal mandate, boundless and bare
    The lone and level benches stretch far away.

• Options
    Skunty wrote: »
    Finally caught up on the thread, it's been an exhausting few days. I will be applying for Irish dual nationality asap.
    Unchallenged racism on the rise, likely changes to employment law, current social policies still degrading under existing austerity measures, facing an economic downturn whilst conservatives hold a majority and the opposition (both lab and lib) is incompetent... Time to nope the fuck out of this train wreck of a country.

Really sorry you need to do that, Skunty, but welcome! Here is the Irish Passport Office's Brexit FAQ Page. Hope it helps.

• Options
    Also, after all the shit that's happened this weekend what are the odds that the markets are going to be an absolute bloodbath tomorrow?

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »
    oh look an old article about the lead up to Brexit in the town I used to live in. Who was it here who was asking whether how the Cornish could possibly vote to leave? @Crimson King ??

https://next.ft.com/content/9b881406-1b46-11e6-b286-cddde55ca122

I lived opposite the wharf they focus on. It was ... kind of a weird place.

And for interest, a more recent, and more nuanced view of the underlying socioeconomic reasons people might vote to leave the EU even when directly benefiting from them
    http://www.perc.org.uk/project_posts/thoughts-on-the-sociology-of-brexit/

The idea that large parts of the country has no interest in the future is a terrifying concept indeed.

It has a horrible resonance. As an outsider, resigned nihilism has always seemed to be a strong element in the less prosperous parts of UK society.

A resigned nihilism is an apt way of putting it, but I guess I've always assumed that was directed towards the shitty present, rather than ruling out possibility for things improving in the future.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    oh look an old article about the lead up to Brexit in the town I used to live in. Who was it here who was asking whether how the Cornish could possibly vote to leave? @Crimson King ??

https://next.ft.com/content/9b881406-1b46-11e6-b286-cddde55ca122

I lived opposite the wharf they focus on. It was ... kind of a weird place.

And for interest, a more recent, and more nuanced view of the underlying socioeconomic reasons people might vote to leave the EU even when directly benefiting from them
    http://www.perc.org.uk/project_posts/thoughts-on-the-sociology-of-brexit/

The idea that large parts of the country has no interest in the future is a terrifying concept indeed.

It has a horrible resonance. As an outsider, resigned nihilism has always seemed to be a strong element in the less prosperous parts of UK society.

A resigned nihilism is an apt way of putting it, but I guess I've always assumed that was directed towards the shitty present, rather than ruling out possibility for things improving in the future.
    Or worse, intentionally burning everything down just because.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Like he has any sway over that

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    He's drunk on victory.

• Options
    That's hilarious

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »

On the subject of Farage, I hope we never, ever let him forget this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

• Options
    He's drunk on victory.

That's a hangover I'd like to see

• Options
    It's darkly hilarious to look through the top-rated reader comments on the websites of newspapers like the Sun and Daily Mail when they explain to their readers what, exactly, Brexit means for them.

"What do you mean the Remain campaign wasn't lying?" is a pretty good summary.

• Options

Yeah, OK. We'll see how well that goes.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    That's fighting talk. Come at me, Bro.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    It's darkly hilarious to look through the top-rated reader comments on the websites of newspapers like the Sun and Daily Mail when they explain to their readers what, exactly, Brexit means for them.

"What do you mean the Remain campaign wasn't lying?" is a pretty good summary.

If only we could just kick back and snack on the scoodenfroody.

If only.

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    He's not wrong though, he was elected following to the rules of labour leadership, if they want to get rid of him then they need to win a leadership election or change the rules, it would be a betrayal of the people that elected him to stand down without running in a general election, so its on the centrists candidates to drum up centrist supporters and if necessary support another candidate that is shown to be more successful, if they can't do that they haven't got a prayer anyway.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Starting to wonder if we're seeing the seeds for a new centrist party getting planted.

Doubt it.

Americans have said that whenever we get a break from far-right insanity, only for the conservative party the double down on the crazy-factor. Seriously. We went from Bush Jr. looking like the pariah of the world, to Palin, and now Trump.

If there's one thing I've found yet, it's just when you think that you've hit rock bottom that you realize the someone is still digging the hole.

• Options
    Chuka's too smart to contest this one.

The next one, though...

• Options
    My prediction:

Article 50 is invoked, the lead negotiator for Britain is given a mandate by the next PM to get back all the agreements we had in the EU, essentially being an EU member in everything but name, and hope the people don't notice/care. The negotiation team for the EU say "fuck that! You left, get rekt" and we end up fuckitty-do-dah-ed.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Priest wrote: »
    Starting to wonder if we're seeing the seeds for a new centrist party getting planted.

Doubt it.

Americans have said that whenever we get a break from far-right insanity, only for the conservative party the double down on the crazy-factor. Seriously. We went from Bush Jr. looking like the pariah of the world, to Palin, and now Trump.

If there's one thing I've found yet, it's just when you think that you've hit rock bottom that you realize the someone is still digging the hole.

It's not about hitting rock bottom, it's that right now there are very clear and obvious tensions in both of the main political parties - Labour with its Corbynites and neo-Blairites, the Conservatives with the Europhiles and Euroskeptics. It wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen in the past week if the neo-Blairites and Tory Europhiles basically said "peace out y'all" and formed a new party.

Would still be pretty fucking crazy, though.

Burnage on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    My prediction:

Article 50 is invoked, the lead negotiator for Britain is given a mandate by the next PM to get back all the agreements we had in the EU, essentially being an EU member in everything but name, and hope the people don't notice/care. The negotiation team for the EU say "fuck that! You left, get rekt" and we end up fuckitty-do-dah-ed.

Making the UK effectively the Puerto Rico of the EU - same laws, no voice.