As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, May 11, 2015 - A Recognized Phenomenon

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image [PA Comic] Monday, May 11, 2015 - A Recognized Phenomenon

A Recognized Phenomenon

A Recognized Phenomenon

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/05/11

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Milamber_29Milamber_29 Registered User regular
    Fantastically true. When they reboot avengers the 5th time I'm sure their kids wont give a sh*t either lol.

I really want a podcast of this one :)

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I guess for them it's just another sci-fi movie, there's no nostalgia or history for them.

I don't really have a passion for it either and think the movies were just okay but will see the new movie for curiosity's sake. I want to bathe in the awesomeness of the movie or in the tears of those that expected it to be good.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    The_WatcherThe_Watcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The new character art on Gabe makes me want to cry tears of sorrow.

Why, exactly, does he have a bright purple arm? Why has someone been twisting his ears?

The_Watcher on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The new character art on Gabe makes me want to cry tears of sorrow.

Why, exactly, does he have a bright purple arm? Why has someone been twisting his ears?

It's chilly outside, and the extremities are feeling the effects. The Day Star has forsaken us.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    I really love it when Mike feels like breaking out Manga Studios soft brushes. Gawrsh they looks nice.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Not a fan of the instagram-y look

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    Now this is the kind of new art I can get behind. Apart from the purple arms of course.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I loved the original trilogy, but after the prequels and the endless tinkering with the originals, it is kind of hard for me to give a shit anymore.

My son is 6 and last night we took him to see the new Avengers movie. The big blockbuster comic book stuff is his Star Wars and I really didn't get that until he was able to name all of the infinity gems and told me what they do. I grew up with that stuff, but I couldn't even remember what colors they were. He may never love R2D2 or Yoda, but he loves Wall-E and Rocket Raccoon.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    I don't know what's wrong with Gabe's kids. Most kids these days love Star Wars, thanks the CG cartoons and what not.

• Options
    Stone WallStone Wall Registered User new member
    Absolutely gorgeous art today.

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Love the middle panel. Coloring in the others is too severe.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It was my mom that got me into Star Wars, Star Trek and Lord of the Rings as a kid. But I guess that's not my dad.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to isolate my kids from any sort of new media before I indoctrinate them. Otherwise I'll be raising some sort of hell monsters that this Star Wars is boring and Seinfeld isn't funny.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I thought Clone Wars was big with kids his sons' ages.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    He doesn't have a purple arm, he's wearing a long sleeved shirt under his T-shirt.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    LOL, as a father, I'm aware this might end up happening. And I'm fine with it. Just as my dad and I have different tastes, I hope she grows up with her own stuff.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I am seriously worried this is going to happen when my fiancee and I have kids. I fear by the time they're aware of anything there will be a new Star Wars movie getting grunted out like clockwork every other year and even if my progeny like them it will just be a routine thing to them and it will never be special for them like it was for me.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Step 1: Stop playing with the color gradients. There is no natural lighting on Earth that will selectively turn a yellow shirt red at the hem, or turn an orange sleeve pink. (Not gonna comment on Tycho's hand, making fun of lupus sufferers is rude.)
    Step 2: Fix Gabe's overbite. It looks like he's trying to multiclass into rabbit.
    Step 3: [lost the plot a bit here]
    Step 4: Profit!

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    The colouring in panel 2 is divine. The rest? Uh............... sorry Mike, the gradients are really distracting and people's hands don't just change colour. Gabe's ear in panel 3 is perfect but the hands and ears in the other panels are not.

I realize that you're not a fan of criticism, but please don't do that with the colouring. It looks really bad.

• Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    He doesn't have a purple arm, he's wearing a long sleeved shirt under his T-shirt.

Why does said shirt have a purple sleeve and an orange sleeve?

sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Nibble wrote: »

Harlequin Chic is this season's "it" trend.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    To be fair, lots of people's palms and finger tips are a different color than the rest of their skin (pinkish-red for light-skinned people, pale tan for dark-skinned), and if I remember correctly Mike does have an overbite in real life, so he's probably giving Gabe one as a cartoonish exaggeration of his own.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    StockBreakStockBreak Registered User regular
    Kudos for making a joke based off the "Vader is Luke's father" scene that hasn't been done to death.

• Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    I'm really happy to see you experiment and I hope you found either what works or doesn't for you. And you already seem to know it, because I think you mentioned it in a post, but you won't know what you do or don't like until you try it out. Personally, panel 2 is my favorite art wise.

• Options
    supermunchkinsupermunchkin Registered User regular
    On another note I would buy that purple destiny hoodie from your sketchbook. You should definately make that :) Also today's comics is awesome. The orange sleeve isn't a lighting thing as he changes position and the sleeve stays the same color.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    My kids are 6 and love the 60s live action batman, the 90s batman animated and the newer versions. When they get a bit older I'll let them see the various movies and they can pick which they like best.

I don't care if they are in the same stupid shit I was into when I was a kid. There is nothing special and magical about 80s Transformers, or Babylon 5, or Ghostbusters that makes it worth inflicting on the next generation in its original form.

And IMO Empire was the one actual good movie that came out of the original trilogy. The other "high quality" stuff came out of some of the extended universe stuff like the Lucasarts games, some of the books, and some of the comics.

• Options
    BrettxPWBrettxPW Registered User regular
    As someone who has been critical of the most recent art style, I can say that today's comic looks great. I dig it.

As far as Star Wars, I am fortunate to have a six and seven year old who wanted to watch the new teaser trailer on a loop when I showed it to them.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Fishing is tons of until "OH GOD THE HOOK IS IN MY FINGER BUT ITS NOT TOO DEEP IF I JUST PULL IT..."

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    noblersonnoblerson Registered User regular
    Makes me think of my students. I'll make a reference to something and most of them, even the geekier kids, just stare at me. I do have one, though, who hums the Indiana Jones theme at me if I walk into the school wearing my fedora. So that gives me hope.

• Options
    pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    In the future, parents will be trying to get their kids into Minecraft and be sad at how their kids don't care much for it, whereas when they were kids they obsessed over it. Bought the blankets, the wallpaper, the toys, the LEGO brick sets, had posters, and wished to live in the world within it.

• Options
    evlutteevlutte Registered User new member
    Loving today's art. The soft touch is really gorgeous.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There is nothing special and magical about ... Babylon 5 ... that makes it worth inflicting on the next generation in its original form.

You take that back.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    My dad raised me on Trek instead of Wars, so this amuses me. I'm sure most of today's kids really don't care about Trek, though I still do see the occasional Starfleet Cosplay Family at cons. I always give 'em a big smile.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    Mike. Don't listen to the haters.

• Options
    fadamorfadamor Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    To kids today, The Star Wars genre is like the Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon serials were to me "back in the day"when I was a kid... Too old to get excited about.

fadamor on
  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Mike the art is coming along fine. Folks-sometimes when you're playing around with colors/styles etc. things are gonna look funky.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Mike draws these things while tripping balls.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

Mike draws these things while tripping balls.

High on the 'shrooms he is. See sounds and taste colors he does.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Fishing is tons of until "OH GOD THE HOOK IS IN MY FINGER BUT ITS NOT TOO DEEP IF I JUST PULL IT..."

See, the way I learned to fish, if you're still sober enough to feel the hook, you're not fishing properly.

"Grandpa, why do they call it fishing if there aren't any fish?" "Because I'm giving the fish bottles to live in." "What are the lines for then?" "So your grandma stops bothering me about drinking before noon."

I... may have been misinformed.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    This hits way too close to home. It's like pulling teeth to get them interested in things I used to love at their age.