As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Tavern Brawls and new heroes are here!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Just spectated @MNC Dover for a daily and found him playing mage in arena against another mage. I'm pretty sure the two of them stole all the removal spells I'm supposed to see in my mage arena drafts somehow.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was wondering what that message meant.

ivrkvcxm0wct.png

Sorry man...I needed all those Flamestrikes to set up my Pyroblast finish!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    How do I add an opponent on a friend on the mobile versions? I thought I'd be able to tap their names but nooooooo.

Also: demonlock. It just ain't working for me. In 15 games I've lost 10 of them, summoned a single demon with Voidcaller once and have never actually become Jaraxxus because I'm usually dead by turn 9. I need some fiddling with the deck, any board experts wanna help?

Can we see the decklist you're currently running? There's a lot of variations to demonlock and we need to figure out if you're zoo, midrange or control. (All three are distinct and viable versions of the deck.)

@The Escape Goat

Derp, of course. Here it is:
    vgon7b.png[/img}

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I guess I've always understood ramp to mean using special effects to somehow break the normal mana curve.

It means 'Ramping Up' your power, ie consistently playing minions at a higher mana level than you should be at. There's not really any such thing as a 'Ramp' deck outside of Druid, but classes like mage can try with spells like unstable portal.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I made a ramp warlock with pint-sized summoner and summoning portal. If you have an unanswered pint sized into turn 3 summoning portal shit goes crazy.
    How do I add an opponent on a friend on the mobile versions? I thought I'd be able to tap their names but nooooooo.

Also: demonlock. It just ain't working for me. In 15 games I've lost 10 of them, summoned a single demon with Voidcaller once and have never actually become Jaraxxus because I'm usually dead by turn 9. I need some fiddling with the deck, any board experts wanna help?

Can we see the decklist you're currently running? There's a lot of variations to demonlock and we need to figure out if you're zoo, midrange or control. (All three are distinct and viable versions of the deck.)
    vgon7b.png[/img}

That's clearly a more handlock-inspired demonlock deck, so I'm not going to be any help there. I'm playing midrange control. There's probably some others here who can help, though.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I made a ramp warlock with pint-sized summoner and summoning portal. If you have an unanswered pint sized into turn 3 summoning portal shit goes crazy.

vgon7b.png[/img}

That's clearly a more handlock-inspired demonlock deck, so I'm not going to be any help there. I'm playing midrange control. There's probably some others here who can help, though.

I feel like if I ditched the Twilight Drakes it wouldn't be a Handlock deck at all. And I don't like the Drakes anyway...

• Options
    And I STILL haven't been Jaraxxus. 20 games in now.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Hit 11 wins with this ridiculous Mage deck in Arena. When I say ridiculous, I don't mean its particularly good, but its absolutely the strangest deck I've ever drafted. I present Hobgoblin/Mech/Dragon Mage Arena deck.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

vgon7b.png[/img}

I'm not really a fan of the deck as I have it. With the right opening hand I crush everything, but I can't see an average advantage over any deck I encounter. On paper it looked very solid but in practice it's VERY gimmicky.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Fun matches with my dragon ramp Druid earlier. The really memorable was against a hybrid Hunter variant.
    He gets some early damage on me but I'm able to control the board, and on turn 5 drop an Ancient of Lore, who draws me Nefarian. The rest of my hand is kind of mediocre, but I have two Wild Growths. If I can hold out a little longer I might be able to spend the Wild Growths and get Nefarian out very early.

I get some solid draws to hold back his pressure, a Swipe, Keeper, things like that. Even with all that he still gets me down to 13 health, but I am able to spend the WGs and stay alive. I've held onto the Coin this entire time, and on 8 mana (to his 6) I slap Nefarian onto an empty board.

He follows up with Loatheb and something else, but I've been holding Rend Blackhand and an Azure Drake for a little while. Rend makes his big entrance. Unless he's got some pretty specific cards to kill me (double kill command, quick shot, weapon, etc), he's dead.

He drops a Knife Juggler. I tense up. Then a Highmane. That's game. I swing with Rend and Nefarian to the face, and finish him off with the Quickshot Nef gave me a few turns ago. Felt good.

I was thinking about the plays I made, and I definitely could have made other choices that were more defensive, but I suspected that the only way I could win would be to spend my ramp cards and get my biggest minions out as quickly as possible. A lot of the time I feel like I am just playing to stay alive, but this time I took some risk and it paid off in a big way.

(But I probably would have straight up died if he were face Hunter and not hybrid).

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Gang Up Rogue is the dumbest fun.

Just beat Get In Here by burning off his Emperor, then just bouncing his combo over and over, in between Healbots. Pretty stressful.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    This is the demon deck I'm using. I don't use Jaraxxus in it because he always got chosen by the voidcallers. MalTurtle is a lot more useful in that.
    VUhkT01.png

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    @MNC Dover Splash me up in the OP for people who want to spectate Arena games.

Else, I'm going to have sick the savage roar beast on you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Thanks to opening a golden shield slam I now have enough dust to craft two legendaries. Thoughts?

Legendaries I have:
    Cenarius
    Jaraxxus
    Thalnos
    Mukla
    Sylvanas
    Boom
    Ragnaros
    Alexstrasza
    Onyxia
    Ysera

Stuff I want:
    Legendaries
    Antonidas
    Tirion
    Edwin
    Al'Akir or Neptulon, I guess?
    Mal'Ganis
    Grommash
    Harrison
    Malygos

Epics
    Ancient of Lorex2
    Ancient of Warx2
    Savage Roar
    Quartermasterx2
    Lay on Hands
    Ice Block
    Doomsayer
    Faceless Manipulator

I tend to play mostly rogue, warrior, mage, hunter, and warlock, but that's mainly because those are the classes I have at least most of the cards for.

Druid, shaman, priest, and paladin are pretty lacking.

I think Grom is a pretty obvious choice, but what about the rest?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    People I play on Arena in Asia don't seem to like accepting friend requests. So awkward saying Hi in English :redface:

Edit: Can't even copy and paste out of chat to Google translate.

hippofant on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    People I play on Arena in Asia don't seem to like accepting friend requests. So awkward saying Hi in English :redface:

Edit: Can't even copy and paste out of chat to Google translate.

Today a random guy I accepted a while ago (thinking he might be one of you - otherwise my only friends are from RL) began talking to me in Russian. Only a few messages in did he ask 'Ty russkij?', are you Russian.

Good thing I took Russian in high school.

Cool guy though. offered HotS key, has a strong paladin deck that's taken care of the spectator quest a few times for me.

• Options
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    @MNC Dover Splash me up in the OP for people who want to spectate Arena games.

Else, I'm going to have sick the savage roar beast on you.

SECRET!

When spectator request forgets to PM or post B.Net info, cancel the request.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JPJeezusJPJeezus Registered User regular
    Adding some people from the OP in order to get that spectator quest completed. Been getting back into HS in the last month or so, grinding out that gold for those Adventure wings. It's quite tempting to just plop down the cash for a whole adventure, but I'm going to try and keep this Free2Play as long as possible!

Twitch Steam: twitch.tv/jpjeezus
    Battlenet: JPJeezus #1804
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Thanks to opening a golden shield slam I now have enough dust to craft two legendaries. Thoughts?

Legendaries I have:
    Cenarius
    Jaraxxus
    Thalnos
    Mukla
    Sylvanas
    Boom
    Ragnaros
    Alexstrasza
    Onyxia
    Ysera

Stuff I want:
    Legendaries
    Antonidas
    Tirion
    Edwin
    Al'Akir or Neptulon, I guess?
    Mal'Ganis
    Grommash
    Harrison
    Malygos

Epics
    Ancient of Lorex2
    Ancient of Warx2
    Savage Roar
    Quartermasterx2
    Lay on Hands
    Ice Block
    Doomsayer
    Faceless Manipulator

I tend to play mostly rogue, warrior, mage, hunter, and warlock, but that's mainly because those are the classes I have at least most of the cards for.

Druid, shaman, priest, and paladin are pretty lacking.

I think Grom is a pretty obvious choice, but what about the rest?

tirion and grommash are the "most useful" of those, and antonidas and mal ganis are considered staples in some decks

you definitely need ancient of lore in every druid deck, wars less so. another savage and a quarter would be solid as well

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm missing something, but Savage Roar is a basic card isn't it?

329.png

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yilias wrote: »

329.png

See OP. @MNC Dover stands no chance against that beast. I apologize to his widowed wife and child

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Since he was listing epics, he probably meant Force of Nature. Got the combo halves mixed up.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Rouge feels miserably weak and dependent on wonderful, perfect draws. The Knife abily depends on eating a hit. Blade Flurry is dependent on poison and oil. Loafing up on all that crowd control means getting pounded by late game monsters and hoping you have the Sap that buys you the turn to win the game, because youre not winning the turn afterwars. Late game means getting Face Hunter'd.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    >>>Rouge<<< feels miserably weak and dependent on wonderful, perfect draws. The Knife abily depends on eating a hit. Blade Flurry is dependent on poison and oil. Loafing up on all that crowd control means getting pounded by late game monsters and hoping you have the Sap that buys you the turn to win the game, because youre not winning the turn afterwars. Late game means getting Face Hunter'd.
    So at this point I really do have to ask: Is this intentional?

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

Since he was listing epics, he probably meant Force of Nature. Got the combo halves mixed up.

Yes, I meant Force of Nature. Hah.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Rouge feels miserably weak and dependent on wonderful, perfect draws. The Knife abily depends on eating a hit. Blade Flurry is dependent on poison and oil. Loafing up on all that crowd control means getting pounded by late game monsters and hoping you have the Sap that buys you the turn to win the game, because youre not winning the turn afterwars. Late game means getting Face Hunter'd.

Are you still playing that combo Rogue deck? Because it's really not that bad. Rogue's cards are very synergy dependent because they're so powerful. Blade Flurry depends on weapon buffs, but then you fire off poison + oil + blade flurry with an Azure in play and you do 7 to the board and 20 to the face using three cards. Yes, you need those three cards in your hand, but with Fan of Knives, Thalnos, Azures, Sprints, and so on, you can craft very dangerous hands.

It sounds like you might just not be comfortable with the combo deck style of play. It's a very different mindset from decks that focus on playing on curve and controlling tempo.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Rouge feels miserably weak and dependent on wonderful, perfect draws.

Yes.

It's a combo deck.

That's how they work. And why they pack in as much card draw as humanly possible.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That said, I've been running Mryagut's Legendary Rogue deck. It's a little more midrange-y so you might find it less frustrating.

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Speaking of rogue and its struggles, here's the rogue deck I made in a fit of frustration with face hunters:

2x backstab
    2x poison
    2x barber
    2x mechwarper
    2x annoy-o-tron
    2x micro machine
    2x flurry
    1x BGH
    2x iron sensei
    2x SI:7
    2x fan of knives
    1x arcane nullifier
    2x shredder
    2x oil
    2x assassin's blade
    2x healbot

Got me to rank 10 for the first time. Lots of fun, crushing against hunter if I don't guess wrong on their traps, but definitely struggles against priest, paladin, or handlock. Thinking I may just have to put saps in.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Were you really offered five Flamestrikes in your first seven picks?!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Fry wrote: »

Nah, I found that pic online. It must have been during beta, because I had to change Pyroblast's cost from 8 to 10. :)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Nah, I found that pic online. It must have been during beta, because I had to change Pyroblast's cost from 8 to 10. :)

You did however have at least one flame strike, one blizzard, one fireball, some arcane missiles, and a flamewaker. And that's just what I saw when I started watching on turn 8 or so.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    i played a priest today, they had a very slow deck that out-slowed my very slow mage deck

it wasn't really a close game

but then the priest added me as a friend! i usually don't but today was different for some reason

i decided to be the bigger person and say ggwp in the face of their BM

but alas, i was a tiny little person, for i had judged this priest unfairly

they were a nice polish person who said gg and asked if they could spectate my next game for their quest

now the pressure was on!

thankfully i made a double combo druid fatigue (thanks mostly to getting 6 sludge belchers out)

the nice person said my deck was 'very fine' !!!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    zakkiel wrote: »
    Speaking of rogue and its struggles, here's the rogue deck I made in a fit of frustration with face hunters:

2x backstab
    2x poison
    2x barber
    2x mechwarper
    2x annoy-o-tron
    2x micro machine
    2x flurry
    1x BGH
    2x iron sensei
    2x SI:7
    2x fan of knives
    1x arcane nullifier
    2x shredder
    2x oil
    2x assassin's blade
    2x repairbot

Got me to rank 10 for the first time. Lots of fun, crushing against hunter if I don't guess wrong on their traps, but definitely struggles against priest, paladin, or handlock. Thinking I may just have to put saps in.

By repairbot, do you mean Antique Healbot? Because Repairbot/Upgraded Repairbot are two cards not available to a rogue.
    Also, I've been running a similar deck, but with two cogmasters as 1-drops.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    815165 wrote: »

That would be a little better if they weren't purposely just madly clicking and playing dumb, but then I suppose if they weren't it wouldn't really be too hard to play right.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Woo Golden Hunter

k2XgyqK.jpg

2 down 7 to go.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options

@The Escape Goat

vgon7b.png[/img}

All that dust....all those red numbers....must rid the world of the red numbers....must craft something cool....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.