As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Penny Dreadful] I'll have to change the carpet [Season 2]

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited June 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
penny-dreadful-logo-wide-560x282.jpg

Airs on Showtime, Sunday 10PM et/pt

What you will see in Penny Dreadful:

Gore, literature, theological discussion, Eva Green hamming the shit out of everything, depravity, sex (every kind imaginable), Timothy Dalton chewing scenery, a poetic, bombastic, and tragic Frankenstein monster, hints of necrophilia, Hammer Horror tropes, Egyptian gods, insects, and long stretches of slow-burn plot.

What you will not see in Penny Dreadful:

Modesty. At least, not for long.

Synopsis:

Set in London during the Victorian times, Penny Dreadful spends equal time providing some truly atmospheric vistas and sets, murdering the shit out of everything (nothing is sacred), trading quips, and watching its characters tortured by their own decisions. On the surface, the mixing of Victorian horror lore into a "team" sounds very League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but the way the show plays it is much more organic and complex. It's not often all the characters are together as each of them has their own demons (literally, sometimes) to deal with.

In Season 1, the subject was vampirism. Season 2, we have witches. Horrible, disgusting, vile witches who do horrible, disgusting, vile things that you may hate. I've read comments from people who stopped watching Season 2 because there was a certain plot point that was too horrible for them to deal with. Before you ask, yes, it's very bad. Nothing is sacred in Penny Dreadful, and the show will remind you of this over and over.

Characters:

Sir Malcolm Murray

tumblr_inline_n8rls3LFUZ1qlr65v.png

Played by Timothy Dalton, patriarch of the loosely assembled group and man with more skeletons in his wardrobe than a graveyard, adventurer, and surrogate father to Vanessa Ives, Sir Malcolm is centered as the lighthouse from which these adrift ships may head towards, even if the waters he leads them into can be full of rocks and death.

Vanessa Ives
600full-vanessa-ives.jpg

Played by Eva Green, tortured by her religion, desperately wanting it back but buffeted at every turn by a seemingly endless parade of evil verging on the ridiculous, Ms Ives calm and collected demeanor that is displayed in public is often shattered and broken when she is in the midst of crisis.

Ethan Chandler
ethan_chandler_2.jpg

Played (quite well!) by Josh Hartnett, a former soldier and gun-show stunt man with a propensity to black out and awaken with little memory of what happened. He is American, treated as quite the novelty in this series, and has a rocky relationship with his father. Seen as the protector, he is deadly in more ways than one.

Victor Frankenstein
latest?cb=20140710150751

Played (very deftly) by Harry Treadaway, we all know what's up with this guy. He has several creations in Penny Dreadful, not one of them is big and green with bolts sticking out of their neck.

Caliban
hqdefault.jpg

Played (with all the bluster and pomposity one could expect from) by Rory Kinnear. He is the Frankenstein monster, and all he wants is affection. He has the heart of a poet, but the capability to rip someone in half with his bare hands. Very faithful to the original Mary Shelley creation.

Brona Croft/Lily
tumblr_n8a619a2Kf1qj06c7o1_500.png

Played by (a now understandable) Billie Piper... well, shit I don't want to give any of her arc away.

Dorian Gray
reeve-carney-red.jpg?quality=0.7

Played by (a shamefully underutilized, so far) Reeve Carney, Dorian Gray will fuck anything. He is sophisticated, charming, and willing to accept just about anybody as a potential partner (even Mr. Hartnett).

Evelyn Poole
penny-dreadful-helen-mccrory-season-1-showtime.jpg

Played by (the hammy equal to Eva Green) a crazy-ass Helen McCrory, she appeared briefly in Season 1 as a party psychic. She returns in Season 2 and engages in some horrific shit.

There really isn't anything like this on television. It likes to take time with its plot and let the characters be characters, not unlike The Wire, takes some big chances on the horror it uses, focuses on sexuality for a good portion on the series, and doesn't skimp on the dialogue. The cinematography is gorgeous, dark, and consistently good.

Give it a whirl. It's kinda silly, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

17170805860_0cfba892d7_o.jpg

jungleroomx on

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Eva Green deserves all the acting awards for this. Unless she is really possessed/tormented by the Devil/witches. Come to think of it Billie Piper is going bang up job too, if a bit lacking in screen time.

Doc is getting a tad creepy, playing with dead bodies not withstanding...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I thought Josh Hartnett's character was meant to be kind of the main character, at least early in season one. But then Eva Green stole the show. All of it.

I love, love, love this show. And so far season 2 seems to be shaping up to be even better than season one. Evelyn Poole is one of the creepiest, scariest characters on TV.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think this show is amazing as well. I love how it let's itself breathe. The plot isn't dense, though it has a lot of things going on. Instead we are treated to characters doing what characters do. If I keep bringing up The Wire it's because that's the show this reminds me of the most.

It's just excellent. That bit with
    ripping the heart out of the baby
    just let me know they aren't fucking around this season.

• Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    This show is great. I love what they are doing with the witches.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I knew it had to happen. Every series has a few of them.

The dreaded Set-Things-Up episode.

I mean I know it's going to be a key one going forward from here on out, but almost nothing happened really. Just, motivations, fleshing out current threads a bit, even a dead end.

I hope next weeks will advance things a bit more.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I thought Josh Hartnett's character was meant to be kind of the main character, at least early in season one. But then Eva Green stole the show. All of it.

I love, love, love this show. And so far season 2 seems to be shaping up to be even better than season one. Evelyn Poole is one of the creepiest, scariest characters on TV.

Eva Green is absolutely the main character at this point. Hartnett, Dalton, and Treadway are all pretty closely matched for second fiddle, followed by the rest of the characters after that.

Evelyn is incredibly fucked and I can't wait to see her die, hopefully by means of
    Hartnett ripping her throat out in full blown Wolfman glory

Butcher on
  • Options

I mean I know it's going to be a key one going forward from here on out, but almost nothing happened really. Just, motivations, fleshing out current threads a bit, even a dead end.

Yeah, practically nothing happened in the most recent episode, but the cut wife episode before that was probably my favorite the show has ever done. Just beautiful, a focused and self contained short film that happened to add a lot to Vanessa's character.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My wife and I binge-watched the whole first season recently and are all caught up.

What a fantastic show. I loved the twist on Dracula the first season had, and the Frankenstein storyline is probably the most faithful to the novel I've ever seen on film. I hope, one day, we'll get an honest to goodness Dracula on the show.

• Options
    Butcher wrote: »

Yeah, practically nothing happened in the most recent episode, but the cut wife episode before that was probably my favorite the show has ever done. Just beautiful, a focused and self contained short film that happened to add a lot to Vanessa's character.

The Cut-Wife episode was so good. Patti LuPone just owned that role. I love how they're getting a lot of broadway influenced people into the show, because it fits with the bombastic theatrics that the show bases itself on. Rory Kinnear kills it as Caliban, or John Claire as it is now, and is both ridiculously over-the-top and sympathetic at the same time. He grew up reading drama, it's all he knows. It's amazing.

I'm only sad there's not much more discussion here about the show. Hell, season 2 is running a cool 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Just discovered this show. I binged through the first season and am picking through the second at a much more leisurely pace since I dread being fully caught up and having to wait a week for new episodes. The show is luxurious and beautiful and incredibly, unbelievably fucked up and I love every moment of it. At least once an episode there's some surreal nightmarish image that I wind back so I can sit through it again.

In the Cut Wife episode,
    the bit with Evelyn walking through and killing the cows was amazing, as was the older witch staring down Vanessa with her face covered in tar.

I'm a bit confused as to why Evelyn didn't just tell that landlord guy to bring her Vanessa. She had her dead to rights and then just let her go. Maybe she has a plan for her, I'll wait and see. I'm also curious about what will happen once Vanessa opens up Chekov's Book.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    For being born a witch Venessa seems to have gotten the short end of the stick in some ways. I suppose she has the "repel evil" thing going on, but otherwise seems way outclassed by the naughty witches and everything else.
    As to Chekov's book: I hope there's just a bigger scorpion in there and she powers up or something. Cast Out Of God's Light For All Time or whatever just seems like kicking her while she's down and on fire. And they're trying to make her bald! How vile!

The doc is going to ride the extra special brand of creepy train all season, isn't he.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    For being born a witch Venessa seems to have gotten the short end of the stick in some ways. I suppose she has the "repel evil" thing going on, but otherwise seems way outclassed by the naughty witches and everything else.
    As to Chekov's book: I hope there's just a bigger scorpion in there and she powers up or something. Cast Out Of God's Light For All Time or whatever just seems like kicking her while she's down and on fire. And they're trying to make her bald! How vile!

The doc is going to ride the extra special brand of creepy train all season, isn't he.

Yeah he's swinging for the fences. The whole show is. They didn't start over after the tonal shift in the first season and they've continued to push the boundaries in the second. I hope this episode on Sunday we get something like the seance or possession episodes we got last season.

Also, they need to let the dog out, if you get my drift.

The slow burn of this show can be kind of infuriating, but the payoffs have always been pretty substantial. Example: Grand Guginol last season.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    The Frankenstein family's will-they-won't they has me wondering if the affections of the creator or creation will lead to some depressing moments.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    The Frankenstein story is on such a obvious course that I think they will do something crazy to go against the obvious.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Huh. I forgot all about this show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Frankenstein story is on such a obvious course that I think they will do something crazy to go against the obvious.

If you remember last season they put everything on a course that people thought was certain, slowed the tempo a bit, and then just went batshit crazy.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I just have no idea what episode I stopped watching this on. hmm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Please tell me someone else saw Ep 5 tonight.

Holy shit.

This episode was great.

I'd like to reiterate that just when I think Penny Dreadful has run out of ways to present itself as the most incredibly fucked up show to ever be on television, they go and do that fucking voodoo doll and that end scene.

This show is such a fucking honey badger.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Everyone gets laid this episode.

• Options
    I just have no idea what episode I stopped watching this on. hmm

@DasUberEdward it's only 8 episodes for S1, so it's not like there's a lot of choices there.

S2 is really really good.

• Options
    Everyone gets laid this episode.

What they did to Gladys is just so... jesus christ.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Lots of sex at the end. Of course Vanessa and Ethan were left out since that would be too hot even for Showtime to handle.

I'm kind of miffed at how utterly marginalized Sir Malcolm is this season, playing almost no part other than a bafoon falling for Evelyn.

Butcher on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Yeah I feel they've missed a lot of opportunities with the interactions between Evelyn and Malcolm. I feel there's enough complexity in Malcolm's character to make this much more interesting. He has his own demons, his guilt over his family, his fear of becoming old and irrelevant (and conversely his dreams of going back to Africa and becoming a great man again) and it'd be far more interesting if Evelyn were to prey on those instead of going "olol he's an old man I'll just seduce him". I mean, I get that he's a lonely old man, and that's certainly a weakness Evelyn can exploit. I just wish they didn't make that his sole defining characteristic in all this.

But I guess that would require a lot more screen time, and compromises will have to be made somewhere when the focus of the season is so clearly on Vanessa and the Frankensteins.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    McCrory is a great actress but I don't buy her being able to seduce men so easily. I was pretty surprised to discover that she's only 46.

Butcher on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Well, it's kind of slim pickings for Malcolm and she's not a...witch and she DID have to prick him with what I assume was sex potion number 9 to tip him over the edge.

I assume he'll snap out of it eventually, though. It's kind of odd no one connected the new woman in Malcolm's life with the attempted one in Ethan's/the witches. Though, I suppose he only told the mole...bah.

And damnit Doc. Just damnit.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Viktor can't do shit right.

• Options
    Ethan just has to bump into Lily now. Not sure what Viktor is even thinking letting Vanessa see her. One degree from it blowing up and he's already so messed up in so many flavors...

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

If you remember last season they put everything on a course that people thought was certain, slowed the tempo a bit, and then just went batshit crazy.
    That's...not really how I remembered the last season going. I mostly remember it being an unfocused mess where not a whole lot happened, albeit an occasionally charming mess. The Vanessa flashback episode was really good, and most of the episode after that was really good, but of of the remaining six episodes there couldn't have been more than an episode and a half's worth of actual substance.

Dorian Gray's whole subplot went nowhere and had essentially no purpose except to be a flimsy pretext for sex scenes. Frankenstein's subplot was okay-ish but didn't actually have anything to do with anything else that was happening (I'm pretty sure the brief scene in episode 7 where Ethan teaches Viktor how to shoot is literally the only bit of emotional interaction Viktor ever had with any cast member other than Caliban, who in turn never interacted with anyone other than Viktor). Ethan didn't have much of a clear role and mostly served as a source of ridiculous "twists" that came out of nowhere and affected nothing. Malcolm's arc was stalled for a long time in the middle and its resolution didn't really ring true to me. Even the main vampire arc wasn't all that interesting, largely due to their being no real sense of agency on the part of the antagonists (the cast would just occasionally wander into an abandoned warehouse and shoot some thralls for no special reason).

I haven't watched the second season yet, but I probably should. This show was always right on the verge of "this would be really good if the writers would get their shit together and focus", and maybe they've had time to cut their teeth and figure things out by now. And I guess even if they fuck it up again there's even odds that Eva Green will salvage it somehow.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I don't know why Dorian is in the show. He's an intriguing character, but he barely has any relation to the plot and now he may as well be on another show together. They need to hurry and get him on the team already. And Caliban - except his sub-plots are interesting and are connected heavily to the group.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Ethan just has to bump into Lily now. Not sure what Viktor is even thinking letting Vanessa see her. One degree from it blowing up and he's already so messed up in so many flavors...

I could swear that Vanessa had run into Brona while she was out with Ethan at one point.

Edit: yup, apparently episode 1.4

Nobody on
  • Options
    Well then! May as well accelerate the countdown until things explode now.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The scenes where Vanessa met Caliban were amazing. That's good writing and acting right there.

• Options
    The scenes where Vanessa met Caliban were amazing. That's good writing and acting right there.
    Vanessa turning Viktor into a floundering mess while shopping for Lily/Brona was p great.

We haven't gotten a lot of breathing room this season.

And I agree with a lot of people here about Dorian, but he does serve to flesh out London quite a bit more than if he wasn't here.

But dude needs to present his purpose soon or I'm just going to fast forward his scenes.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, Showtime's website is fucking terrible.

• Options
    So my mind just got blown, I thought Viktors actor was also in Fortitude but it's actually his identical twin actor brother. Crazy.

• Options
    Or he's just moved onto cloning now.

• Options
    I see we finally have plot convergence.

I wonder how this whole ball thing will play out. I have a feeling it's not going to be good.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

I wonder how this whole ball thing will play out. I have a feeling it's not going to be good.

Probably a perceptive prediction.

Do we think next season is going to be Ethan and his past?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Probably a perceptive prediction.

Do we think next season is going to be Ethan and his past?

I do hope so.

I'd like to see more of the characters fleshed out aside from Vanessa and Malcolm.

• Options
    Lucky for them Friday was one of Ethan's indisposed nights or else the plots would have converged and exploded instead of just falling over.

I hope Ethan just turns that Pinkterton guy into a corpse the second they met again.