As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mad Max: Fury Road [Spoilers will be Witnessed]

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It actually reminds me a lot of greek mythology. These figures told in oral story, vehicles of familiarity and of the listener's perspective. The details don't matter. All that matters is the lesson.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Apocalypse World might work for an RPG that is all chase.

It has at least a couple of driving based classes and is sort of designed to be both apocalyptic and with detail you can fill in.

I actually have a game that is designed specifically to recreate Mad Max style adventures called Atomic Highway. It's pretty fun!

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

It has at least a couple of driving based classes and is sort of designed to be both apocalyptic and with detail you can fill in.

I actually have a game that is designed specifically to recreate Mad Max style adventures called Atomic Highway. It's pretty fun!
    It's free on Drivethrurpg. I might have to check that out.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I watched this again a couple days ago with my mother, who enjoyed it even though she doesn't really like violent action movies.

After having had so much time to think about the movie in general, I think overall my favorite part of it is just how much sense everything in that world makes.

Basically everything is a desert now and resources are few and far between, so the survivors need some way to get from point A to point B and back again. This means vehicles. The other people who are also surviving will want those resources you are collecting/storing/transporting so this means lots of weapons on those vehicles.

The War Boys all follow Joe because they all have some form of leukemia, in fact he specifically targets them for that reason. He gives these young men who have nothing to look forward to but a painful early death something to live (and die) for. That if they die in service to him they'll live on forever in the afterlife. That's incredibly appealing in this shitty world they have to exist in. But they can't just go out and blow themselves up somewhere on their own, no, that wouldn't serve his needs. So he creates the requirement that they be "witnessed" doing these actions, to keep them a cohesive whole. And with that fanatical army at his back it makes sense how he's able to hold and control this essential paradise he has.

And maybe my favorite minor thing in the movie, the people who live in the canyons. All they want from Furiosa is the guzzoline she promised them. Joe's war parties following put them on edge, and then finding out that there were other people in the War Rig made them think there was a double cross going on so they attacked, but once the fuel pod gets destroyed? They stop chasing. It's not worth it to go after her for revenge, and they don't need to defend their territory since they probably have every inch mapped out and can just run and hide or do guerrilla strikes against potential invaders. When Furiosa comes back through the canyon on the way back? There's one shot of them seeing the War Rig and the war parties coming back, and then they are never seen again. They don't want anything to do with this crazy nonsense going on, there's nothing in it for them. Contrast this with Joe's self-destructive hubris and possessiveness.

God damn it's a good movie.

Yeah, I love the canyon people

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The base game is free and definitely worth checking out. You have two stats; your character's and your vehicle's, which can include anything from motorcycles to war-rigs. There aren't any module adventures that I could find, so I just repurposed some other post-apocalyptic adventures for my own campaigns.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I don't remember anything in the movie about Max personally witnessing the downfall of society
    Doesn't he work for an organized police force in a relatively normal society in the first movie? He and his wife(?) and their dog go on vacation at one point. There's a mechanic they pay real money to.

Am I misremembering all this?

The first movie opens after resources have already started to run out, the cities have devolved and the only places where there's any organized society is out in the small towns and outskirts of civilization. We've already got clans in the gangs that came out of the cities where society has already collapsed.

By the second movie we've got clans with little kids who haven't seen the world before it went down.

By the third the little kids who were there during the fall are about in their 20s or late teens.

By the fourth we've got kids who were born after the fall and are now in their teens to 20s. You've got about three generations in the Mothers clan shown there, the people who were adult when the fall happened, the ones who were kids during, and the ones who were born after.

Max is about 40 in Fury Road, which is also pretty close to the actor's real age.

Yeah, Mad Max (the first movie) is not pre-apocalypse, but mid-apocalypse. Society is already collapsing around them and Max is on the edge of civilization where everything is sorta ok but slowly eroding. But out past that who the fuck knows.

But really, the series doesn't really give a shit about that kind of continuity. It's Man with No Name stories.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Check out Convoy on Steam. It's basically FTL + Mad Max.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Doesn't Max specifically mention his cop days in the opening of Fury Road?

Anyway, my favorite idea is that the apocalypse eventually mutated Max to be ageless... and to look more like Tom Hardy. Because that's how Nuclear Radiation works, right?

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Anyway, my favorite idea is that the apocalypse eventually mutated Max to be ageless... and to look more like Tom Hardy. Because that's how Nuclear Radiation works, right?

Yep. One of the first lines is "I used to be a cop."

Looking at the internet, I think I prefer the idea that "Max" odds actually the kid from the last movie all grown up. Max being more a Dread Pirate Roberts thing.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    It's in the first movie mostly, which actually takes place pre-apocalypse if I remember correctly. I know this has been stated several times before, but it's really best to not think about the continuity of Mad Max. The director himself doesn't; he is more concerned with telling a compelling story within one film. Mad Max is more of a flavor than an ongoing story.
    I appreciate the reply, but that is a thoroughly unsatisfying answer.

The interpretation I've always had of the Mad Max movies is to look at them like a series of loosely collected tales told after the fact about this legendary Road Warrior called Max. They're not first-hand accounts, so the tellings get a bit warped and inconsistent (Like how the Interceptor was wrecked in 2 but was back for Fury Road, etc.).

Y'know, fireside tale stuff.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    It's in the first movie mostly, which actually takes place pre-apocalypse if I remember correctly. I know this has been stated several times before, but it's really best to not think about the continuity of Mad Max. The director himself doesn't; he is more concerned with telling a compelling story within one film. Mad Max is more of a flavor than an ongoing story.
    I appreciate the reply, but that is a thoroughly unsatisfying answer.

The interpretation I've always had of the Mad Max movies isn't to look at them like a series of loosely collected tales told after the fact about this legendary Road Warrior called Max. They're not first-hand accounts, so the tellings get a bit warped and inconsistent (Like how the Interceptor for wrecked in 2 but was back for Fury Road, etc.).

Y'know, fireside tale stuff.

The second and third one are pretty explicitly that. In both The Road Warrior and Thunderdome, there is a narrator at the end, who is implied to be the one who has told us the story of the man (Max) who saved their tribes.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Looking at the internet, I think I prefer the idea that "Max" odds actually the kid from the last movie all grown up. Max being more a Dread Pirate Roberts thing.

Except we know what happened to the non-Max characters at the end of Road Warrior and Thunderdome because the end narration tells us that they were narrating those stories.
    The "Feral Kid Max" theories are just kind of based on nothing.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I consider "Max" just to be a plot device at this point, just like his interceptor. It's been blown up what, twice now? He didn't even have it in Thunderdome.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    E. I keep thinking I'm in the chat thread!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Watching this again this morning, I do have a couple of questions.

1) Wasn't the world not totally shit at some point in Max's life? If that's the case, how have these bizarre alternate societies cropped up so fast. Furiosa and the old ladies of the waste talk about clans and lineages, which makes no sense if a dude who can't be over 40 by his appearance is from the before times. I haven't watched the older movies for a long time, so maybe this is covered and I just didn't see it.

2) Furiosa implies that she has attempted this type of escape multiple times before. How does she get put in charge of the war rig if she's a flight risk?

I take Max in Fury Road to be an archetype. His world is too dramatically different from the other movies for it to be a direct continuation, and what you say about the societies is quite right.

Rome didn't fall in a day, but even in the fallen areas people still thought of themselves as Romans for centuries.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

That's how the first movie starts. He's part of a post-apocalyptic community that's mostly held it together, and he's a cop in that community.

What is this I don't even.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That's one thing (of many) that I love about the first movie. Post-apocalypses, sure... but you don't often see a pre-post-apocalypse (if that makes sense). Gives it such a unique atmosphere. You can see how society there is seriously fraying around the edges before the Acolytes show up; it's all going to hell, slowly, but it's not there yet. It may have stayed in a similar state for a good while longer after the events of the movie... it's just that Max has left it behind by then. I wonder how long the MFP managed to keep going.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Max saying he used to be a cop doesn't mean that he used to be a cop like we understand it. In the first film he was basically a kind of militia/bounty hunter, not really a police officer as we understand it, but they might refer to themselves as "cops" still, even though they're far removed from our time and in a collapsing society

Keep in mind according to the director Immortan Joe was actually a soldier or general of some kind during the kind of final desperate battles after the apocalypse. So there could've been conflicts tearing society apart before the cataclysmic event that destroyed all the oceans and environment etc

Prohass on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    i dunno
    when people say they're cops they usually mean it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3mCjC7tCy8

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm surprised Goose hasn't shown up as a baddie. I think he died in the first, although it was only implied.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I remember society was already in a downward spiral in Mad Max, and that the bombs fell between Mad Max and Road Warrior.

There's also Deadlands: Hell on Earth for the Savage Worlds system.

kyrcl.png
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm surprised Goose hasn't shown up as a baddie. I think he died in the first, although it was only implied.

Last we saw of Goose he was in the hospital, on a ventilator, and his arm looked like a piece of beef jerky. We never actually hear if he dies, but there's no way to get him back into a movie unless they retcon his burns. They were way too severe to let him make it in the wasteland.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Jimmy the Goose, larger than life and twice as ugly!

I <3 Goose. Steve Bisley was bloody brilliant.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Max saying he used to be a cop doesn't mean that he used to be a cop like we understand it. In the first film he was basically a kind of militia/bounty hunter, not really a police officer as we understand it, but they might refer to themselves as "cops" still, even though they're far removed from our time and in a collapsing society

Keep in mind according to the director Immortan Joe was actually a soldier or general of some kind during the kind of final desperate battles after the apocalypse. So there could've been conflicts tearing society apart before the cataclysmic event that destroyed all the oceans and environment etc

My timeline for the mad max movies has always been....

Now
    Some horrible event occurs which is localized but is goosing everything up. The world is worst nearest to the event, and the event is expanding. Society is collapsing, but still exists to some extent far enough away from the event.
    Mad Max
    Max leaves and goes towards the event
    Wars!
    Mas Max: Road Warrior
    Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
    Max leaves and again goes towards the event
    Fury Road

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, that's probably about right. It's pretty much told explicitly in the opening monologue of MM2 that peak oil starts the catastrophe, followed by pretty much all-consuming world war. And that it had started well prior to the events of MM1.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to fit into the canon that cars (at least those with two front seats) are all right-hand-drive, as is typical in Australia, right up to the start of Fury Road. Then the Interceptor remains right-hand-drive as it always was, but every other vehicle - except, oddly, Nux's car, if I remember rightly? - is left-hand-drive. With the amount of American-style vehicles seen in Fury Road (the Gigahorse's Cadillacs, the Corvette seen in the background a few times, the monster truck, etc), and the different accents on display (not least Furiosa's), it does imply we've moved a long way away from the Australian outback in the intervening years. Or at least, the legendary man-with-no-name edition of Max has.

The handedness of the cars may be a detail, but it's one that grabs me for some reason (probably due to having lived in countries involving driving on both sides), and in a movie that thrives on attention to detail, that is not something that will have been overlooked in production. And given how heavily modified the cars are, it's probably not just that they all happened to be difficult models to switch the handedness on (in the real world of imported cars, some can be downright impossible to do that to).

Jazz on
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I read somewhere online speculation that a clue that the bombs have fallen in the first movie is after Max's wife and kid die or whatever and he's leaving his house for the last time, the TV is just showing static like the signal is gone. Thought that was interesting.

I read somewhere online speculation that a clue that the bombs have fallen in the first movie is after Max's wife and kid die or whatever and he's leaving his house for the last time, the TV is just showing static like the signal is gone. Thought that was interesting.

Yes indeed. Paying extra attention to the news broadcasts in MM1 is definitely worth doing. They're certainly portentous of the end of the world. They're much less obvious and in-your-face than in just about any other movie that uses a similar device, but they definitely show background to what's going on in the world. But the only one that actually makes it to the foreground is the one reporting the Night Rider's demise.

God, the world-building in these movies is so good.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Apologies if this was posted already, but I thought it was a good assessment of the Oscar nominees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2016/01/14/an-unbiased-look-at-the-best-picture-nominees-of-2016/

What is this I don't even.
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Yes indeed. Paying extra attention to the news broadcasts in MM1 is definitely worth doing. They're certainly portentous of the end of the world. They're much less obvious and in-your-face than in just about any other movie that uses a similar device, but they definitely show background to what's going on in the world. But the only one that actually makes it to the foreground is the one reporting the Night Rider's demise.

God, the world-building in these movies is so good.

And now I need to re-re-re-watch Mad Max to pick up on that. Like I literally never even noticed that the TV or radio was on in that movie.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Apologies if this was posted already, but I thought it was a good assessment of the Oscar nominees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2016/01/14/an-unbiased-look-at-the-best-picture-nominees-of-2016/

My favourite part of this;
    Is how all of them tie back to Fury Road and then there's this;
    “Bridge of Spies”: This is the sort of movie you see with your dad, but my dad wanted to see “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” instead.

And then right back into Fury Road love.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Just saw this

dang

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yea, don't think about the continuity much.

If you're wondering how society can slide so fast, I remember a remark from William johnstone's Ashes books.

"Jesus Christ, we're dealing with cults now? Every year it seems we slide back ten. If we don't do something fast we're gonna die in the dark ages, Raines."

As others said, Rome didn't fall in a day, but the slide from sciences and enlightenment to mysticism and witchcraft when it did fall happened in the span of a lifetime if not two.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    "To me, it's a documentary." - George Miller

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    "For me, it was Tuesday." - George Miller

kyrcl.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I just got done watching an insomnia-riddled home showing of Mad Max: Fury Road.

This movie has elevated action to a form of poetry. I was absolutely mesmerized by what was happening on screen, just stunned at the way the dance flowed from one scene to the next. While it favored some pretty brutal shit, it didn't revel in it. Despite the absolutely insane amounts of potential carnage, the film did shy away from showing anything too graphic (Such as how Joe bit the big one... yech). I appreciated it because I appreciated how this movie set its own rules and stuck to them throughout.

It's a simple movie. The dialog is the kind of dialog you'd expect people who have spent their entire lives in a post-apocalyptic society to have (further evidenced by the more nuanced dialog from the older ladies near the end of the film... we can guess public education is on the downslope in Fury Road). Despite the movie being simple, it doesn't treat its audience like idiots: the conversations feel like the ones real people would have when they're not expected to give exposition to an audience. The film gives visual cues, character cues, some bits of dialog, and figures the audience can either stitch the rest of the fabric together or create something on their own. It works. Despite the story being dead simple, a rehashed tale of hope and redemption that we've seen a million times, you become invested in the progress. Despite such limited dialog, you become attached to these characters. "Witness me", one of the most heartfelt lines I've seen on screen from a character that started the movie out with the now famous "lovely day" bit.

The visuals are insanely good. For a post-apocalyptic world, the colors here are primary and vibrant. The popping orange of the deserts and daytime contrasted with the deep blues of night make for some amazing eye candy. It is a beautiful film, from top to bottom.

The performances here work for what Mad Max was going for. The story is mainly told through eyes and facial expressions. There is no breakout performance or Oscar bait or anything of the sort, it's just a set of actors weaving a subdued, subtle story through the chaos and carnage. A small glimpse here from Theron, Hardy, or Hoult is worth a few dozen sentences in lesser films.

This movie is just brilliant, from top to bottom. It treats its audience well, it knows what it wants to do and doesn't fuck around with anything else, and it executes what it wants to do with flair and intensity. This is about as close to a perfect film as I've seen in a long time. God damn well done.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    When I saw this movie, I was compelled to see it again within a couple of days.

No movie in the last ~10 years has had that effect on me.

Not even the latest Star Wars, and I am a pretty big star wars fan. (And I thought star wars was great)

Al_wat on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    When I saw this movie, I was compelled to see it again within a couple of days.

No movie in the last ~10 years has had that effect on me.

Not even the latest Star Wars, and I am a pretty big star wars fan. (And I thought star wars was great)

It is the definition of less-is-more AND show-dont-tell. This movie does nothing new as a whole but the execution is fresh and crisp to the point where it feels wholly unique.

I havent been compelled to write a long review of a movie in a long while, but this film is just... I dont know. It demands and deserves it. It should be stupid, but it isnt. It should be trite and generic and mindless, but its not. I just dont know how they managed to make it.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    It action-packed without feeling overwhelming and in your face, like something from Transformers. And even during the action, there's such subtlety in the characters' interactions that you don't get in most action movies. A grunt from Max says way more than Even Stevens running around screaming. Max says probably all of two words in the first quarter of the movie (aside from the intro voiceover), and yet you find out so much about his personality.

The problem is, I do know a few people (mostly non-American) where that subtlety is lost. They are just not used to that style, I guess.

Number One Tricky
    The action is frenetic, but clean and easy to follow... unlike something youd see in Transformers which borders on completely unintelligible (the jigsaw puzzle mess of the robots design does not help). The action scenes felt like a young James Cameron, but with a lot more style and way more meat on it. They werent just action set pieces, they advanced the story and allowed for characrer development, however large or small.

I cannot wait for a sequel but Im unsure theyll be able to match this.

Between this, Star Wars, and John Wick, its been a really good time for action films digging themselves out of the Bayhole.