As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Podcasts] Embrace your inner Minkus

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I liked it a lot more before Senna & Ratzenberger died.

That weekend really soured me on the whole thing, I've only really started coming back to it in the last couple of years.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    glad to see Jensen got points though, this has been a hell of a rough season for him

one of the many many many MANY things I love about button is that he's just happy enough to have a place at the table, y'know?

he's probably the driver that has the most fun, win or lose (mostly lose)

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    It's been almost 3 and a half months since someone has talked U2 to me

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I was just thinking that if Jeff continues to dislike Witcher 3 we might be living in a universe where Jeff Gerstmann is arguing for a Souls game over other games on a goty list.

Also autocorrect wanted to correct "goty list" to "goth list."

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    A goth list sounds way more interesting

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    1. The Guy From The Cure
    2. ????

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Just noticed that Danny O'Dwyer's been uploading his Irish Coffees and whatnot to his Youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/IoN0kv44Xlk?t=1m19s

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    1. The Guy From The Cure
    2. ????

VNV Nation?
    Maybe Voltaire?

No I don't.
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Holy shit the anti-pot sentiment in the latest Danswers pissed me off. A guy writes in saying how medicinal marijuana has helped with his anxiety and all three of them just laugh like jackasses about hackey sac and Sublime. This coming from Dan Ryckert who constantly has tales of how black out drunk he gets and how he pisses and vomits on himself.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Holy shit the anti-pot sentiment in the latest Danswers pissed me off. A guy writes in saying how medicinal marijuana has helped with his anxiety and all three of them just laugh like jackasses about hackey sac and Sublime. This coming from Dan Ryckert who constantly has tales of how black out drunk he gets and how he pisses and vomits on himself.

Woah man, I thought stoners were supposed to be mellow brah

• Options
    Yeah, as someone who doesn't smoke weed, that answer was a little silly. It sounded like the dude had his shit together, too.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jeff had a good answer about weed on his tumblr a while ago

Someone asked him why he was into drinking but not weed and he said, essentially, "it stinks like shit and most of the people I've known who smoke are way too into smoking and make it the focus of their lives and try and make you smoke"

Which yeah yup fair enough

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    please take this discussion out of the formula one thread

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I just view pot as a safer alternative to alcohol, no reason it should be illegal when the other isn't.

People who are into the MIND EXPANDING PROPERTIES of weed are the worst

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    But yeah I think Danswers has gotten too

I don't want to say "serious" because that sounds dumb, but I suppose it's accurate

I was way more into advice about how to eat mayonnaise in public, the last few episodes have gotten hard to listen to in a few places due to the stories

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    NeoToma wrote: »

Woah man, I thought stoners were supposed to be mellow brah

I don't even really smoke weed at all anymore. I'd like to be able to every now and then but that would require having a bunch of disposable income. I don't have to be personally effected by something to be upset by somebody telling somebody not to do what helps them with anxiety because of their own hackneyed clichés and misinformation. I even agree with their notion that generally you shouldn't trust medical advice from your parents or whatever over a medical professional but to blanket dismiss something that's proven to work for people and proven to work for the person writing because you have a stereotypical idea of what a pot smoker is like in your imagination is just...ignorant and infuriating.

And even appealing to that worst case scenario loudest person in a group it doesn't work. Yeah I'm sure there are people in the bay area who talk about weed too much. You know what we have in the midwest? People who wear shirts with the logo for their favorite booze printed on across the chest, tattoos of said beer logo and breath that could clean a VCR. Those people are WAY worse.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It's just constant "how do I relationship" and depression questions

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    IIRC, they basically went "you probably shouldn't ignore your doctor on the advice from your dad to self medicate with pot" and when discussing if it'd make him a douche, Dan sort of went on a tangent of what he hates about heavy pot culture, with zero implication that all pot-users are like that or that this guy would become that.

I suppose I'd need to relisten to it, but I think people are getting a little to defensive about this. The biggest gist was more about ignoring your doctor based on the advice of non-experts.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    It's just constant "how do I relationship" and depression questions

Yeah, but on the other hand, this is every advice podcast since time began

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    How do I be a human person?

• Options
    I'm a normal human father, but I'm wondering how to maximize my normalness. When I'm relaxing in the salt water of the ocean for example (an action that normal humans regularly take), is it more or less normal to call out to other normal humans?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I'm a normal human father, but I'm wondering how to maximize my normalness. When I'm relaxing in the salt water of the ocean for example (an action that normal humans regularly take), is it more or less normal to call out to other normal humans?

This guy checks out.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Pot has, quite literally, ruined the lives of too many of my friends for me to be nice about it when people try to get me to smoke or tell me about how great it is

That said if you want to do it on your own time its not my business or my place to tell you what you should or shouldn't do

I think though its worth keeping in mind that as Jeff's answer about pot shows, the people you know personally who smoke are going to really change your opinion on the topic

Maybe dans only experience is with the shitty stoners, who knows

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Pot has, quite literally, ruined the lives of too many of my friends for me to be nice about it when people try to get me to smoke or tell me about how great it is

That said if you want to do it on your own time its not my business or my place to tell you what you should or shouldn't do

I think though its worth keeping in mind that as Jeff's answer about pot shows, the people you know personally who smoke are going to really change your opinion on the topic

Growing up as the child of two hippies, around tons of other aging hippies, definitely colored my view of pot as something that's A-OK

I've never had to deal with more than one or two "mind expanders"

• Options
    Yeah, I mean I've dealt with enough people that are totally fine about pot that I never really felt threatened by it (The one dude I knew who was a super huge stoner was actually really nice and told me if I ever did want to try he'd make sure I enjoyed it, but he never actually pushed me to do it or anything).

I'd probably say I've had worse experience with people who are into hallucinogens because they always go OH MAN IT'LL CHANGE YOUR LIFE EVERYONE SHOULD DO MUSHROOMS/ACID/WHATEVER

My one personal experience with pot was pretty underwhelming and quite frustrating because I couldn't focus on one thing. Cookies tasted amazing, but I mean... cookies taste amazing anyway, so.

• Options

Not to split hairs, but pot hasn't ruined anyone's lives. Either their actions surrounding it and its legality has, or decisions they've made have.

I know it's normal to put the blame for things going badly for someone on something like pot or alcohol, but when it cones right down to it it's typically genetic prepositions toward substance abuse (which is horrible) or culture that either glorifies abuse or punishes use that ruins people's lives, not the substance itself.

And I was shocked to hear someone in the mental health field who had just talked about how sometimes a therapist just isn't right for someone go on a rant about pot with two people who were oblivious to its medicinal benefits.

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Not to split hairs, but pot hasn't ruined anyone's lives. Either their actions surrounding it and its legality has, or decisions they've made have.

I know it's normal to put the blame for things going badly for someone on something like pot or alcohol, but when it cones right down to it it's typically genetic prepositions toward substance abuse (which is horrible) or culture that either glorifies abuse or punishes use that ruins people's lives, not the substance itself.

And I was shocked to hear someone in the mental health field who had just talked about how sometimes a therapist just isn't right for someone go on a rant about pot with two people who were oblivious to its medicinal benefits.

For someone who started with "not to split hairs" you just split the absolute shit out of some hairs

I'm gonna keep saying it that way because "I have one friend who decided to do nothing but smoke pot until he was homeless" is kind of a mouthfull. It is of course not pots fault because it is an inanimate object but that is a completely meaningless distinction

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    My only experience with potheads was a roommate who hotboxed in a way that made my room reek and made me get contact highs

I eventually gave up on a nice smelling room

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    My only experience with potheads was a roommate who hotboxed in a way that made my room reek and made me get contact highs

I eventually gave up on a nice smelling room
    That's a shitty roommate

Who the hell hotboxes a room

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    One time I went to school and there was a girl just hotboxing the shit out of her car in the parking lot.

I was like jeez lady, can you at least smoke that shit at home?

• Options
    Someone who lives on campus

Our rooms were sut up [room]-[bathroom]-[room] so he just made it so the weed didnt go into the hall

But apparently me, the dude on a first name basis with all the CAs and part of the studen council, was fine?????

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

For someone who started with "not to split hairs" you just split the absolute shit out of some hairs

I'm gonna keep saying it that way because "I have one friend who decided to do nothing but smoke pot until he was homeless is of course not pots fault because it is an inanimate object but that is a completely meaningless distinction

I seriously didn't mean any offense there, just as I'm sure you didn't mean any to me because of my father who suffers from chronic migraines and the only thing that has even started helping him manage his pain is occasional, responsible use of pot. Well, that and the electrodes he had implanted that he had to have removed.

To me saying something "literally" ruined your friends lives is a judgement on the thing.

No I don't.
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Did your rooms not have smoke detectors or sprinkler systems?

• Options
    Like I live alone but I use a sploof and febreeze right after smoking regardless because I'm in an apartment and that shit reeks and no reason to make my and/or my neighbors places stank

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I'm gonna keep saying it that way because "I have one friend who decided to do nothing but smoke pot until he was homeless is of course not pots fault because it is an inanimate object but that is a completely meaningless distinction

I seriously didn't mean any offense there, just as I'm sure you didn't mean any to me because of my father who suffers from chronic migraines and the only thing that has even started helping him manage his pain is occasional, responsible use of pot. Well, that and the electrodes he had implanted that he had to have removed.

To me saying something "literally" ruined your friends lives is a judgement on the thing.

I have friends in jail and on the street because of laws and decisions around pot

you are objectively correct, it is not a leaf's fault

but yeah, I am making a judgement on the thing, because human beings tend to let their experiences shape their worldview

I am glad that pot helps your dad

that doesn't mean I'm gonna look kindly on something that has had a part in me losing more friends than basically any other single thing

• Options
    Again, if you want to smoke, more power to you, its absolutely your call

But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna be grumpy about it

• Options
    edited May 2015

And if you want to be grumpy about it others using a substance in legal and responsible ways, then you're going to have people point out your missplaced grumpiness.

I've lost friends to alcohol abuse and general substance abuse. I've lost people due to road rage and abusive spouses.

I'm not all grumpy or judgmental about beer or pain killers or cars or relationships. And if I was I wouldn't get in a huff when people called out how ridiculous doing that is.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    You don't smoke the leaves chincy.

But yeah a friend of mine has self medicated with pot in the past. Those choices made her life hell. It isn't really the drug to blame anymore than it is alcohols fault for drunk driving.

Some people just aren't as capable of being responsible with drugs.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm still curious about trying pot now that it's legal here, probably in some sort of edible form, but holy shit it's expensive as fuck. That plus having literally zero idea about how any of it works means i'll wait a while for it to become more established.

• Options

And if you want to be grumpy about it others using a substance in legal and responsible ways, then you're going to have people point out your missplaced grumpiness.
    Dude you're kind of being a goose about this

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.