As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cold Brewing Coffee

ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
I think its safe to say that some of you here like iced coffee.

Recently with the addition of my 2nd child, I can no longer get out in the morning to get my daily iced coffee and furthermore I could use the money elsewhere. I have tried to make iced coffee at home by putting hot coffee in the fridge for the morning, but it tastes awful!

So, after some research I have found that the solution is to Cold Brew the coffee, much like you might steep Iced Tea. I found several articles talking about the process. But no one talks about what coffee is best to use! So I am looking to you wise people to give me some of your sage advice.

I prefer my coffee black, so I would be interested in a coffee that is not too strong once cold brewed.

I have one of these to make the coffee in.

So what coffee roast and grind would work best for this application?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I like a light roast, and then a very find grind when I do it. But the roast you use would be up to taste, I like the more fruity flavours from lighter roasts. Just keep trying things until you find one you love.

One thing to note is that the cold brewing process will make a much less biter coffee then you get from regular brewing, so try using less or no sweeteners. I know some of my family members who usual drown their coffee in sugar enjoy cold brew with none at all.

My method is to just fill a very large jar, it's like 20L or something like that with about 500g of ground coffee, then the rest with filtered water and leave it out on my counter for 24hrs. Then I filter and have iced coffee in my fridge for a week.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    When we did cold press at a Perfessional Coffee Place (TM) I used to work at it was always a one pound dark roast, coarsest grind available and steep for 12 hours at least in a 10 gallon pail with a lid.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    You're going to need more grinds to cold-brew than you would normally need for a regular hot coffee brew - just an FYI.

I like a strong coffee, so I get dark roast beans, and grind them one step below french press (sometimes FP is okay, but it also reduces the strength/flavor a bit, and that size still works with my french press).

My method is just to let the water + grinds sit together in the french press overnight in the fridge, and by morning it's developed into a perfect cold-brewed coffee.

Cold-brewed coffee also tastes better for longer (when compared to chilled hot coffee). Apparently hot coffee releases oils in the beans, and the oil is what starts to go rancid and gives that "old coffee" taste. I've had cold brewed coffee in the fridge for a few days and the flavor doesn't seem to be overly affected.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    More tips here. They suggest 3 cups water to 1 cup medium coarse ground, which roughly fills a standard french press.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for all the good tips, especially the website djmitchella, very helpful.

I'm going to try this for the first time this weekend and see how it goes, i will report back!

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    Just wanted to circle back on this and let you know how it went.

On Friday, I went to a local coffee house and bought some fancy medium roast coffee with "fruity and citrusy flavor notes" used a medium coarse grind and went home and tried out my brewer.

Attempt #1 was not great. I did not agitate the coffee enough and the result was very light, like tea without much flavor.

Attempt #2 was better, I made sure to agitate the brew frequently and also filtered the result a second time, which got rid of a lot of silt. The coffee was much darker, but still more tea like then I am used to. It was almost a dark red color. But the flavor this time around was better, my wife thought the result was a little too strong but I liked it.

Over all, the result was good. Its definitely different then iced coffee, much smoother and definitely less acidic. Its a good alternative from iced coffee, but not a substitute.

So not sure if maybe I missed something in the process, but it was not the life changing experience that many of the sites dedicated to cold brew had led me to believe.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    How long did you let it steep for?

• Options
    I let the coffee steep for 12+ hours. The first time was all in the fridge, with minimal agitation. Second time was on the counter for 6 or so hours and then in the fridge for the rest to get cold.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    What ratio of coffee to water are you using?

if you think it's tasting too weak, then your either not letting it steep long enough, or not using enough coffee.

Also from looking at a few reviews for the brewer you have, it seems a lot of people complain about weak brews.

I would try doing it again, but this time don't use the filter thing that comes with the jug while brewing, just mix your coffee/water directly in it or another larger container and then strain it after your done brewing.

Foomy on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    they only say to agitate it once, when you add the water to the grounds.

i followed that kicking horse guide this weekend using a french press (coarse grind, steeped it about 14 hours in the fridge, I agitated it a second time before I went to bed) and it came out alright, though I didn't cut it with water on my first cup and I was basically wired from caffeine overload all of saturday morning/afternoon.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Best results i've had with cold brewing come with these 4 pieces of equipment:

2 gallon jar
    permanent coffee filter from a machine, one of those gold coloured ones
    jar funnel
    2 gallon serving jar, one of those ones with a built in spigot

I like the serving jars over a regular jug you pour from because the spigot is a little above the bottom of the jar, so that lets any remaining silt to settle below the level you serve from.

Then I fill the jar with 1/4 coffee, top it off with filtered water, stir a bunch, then let it sit on my counter 24 hours. After that I pour the coffee into the serving jar through the filter/jar funnel combo, and let it sit for about 10 mins.
    Clean out the brew jar/filter while you wait, and then when the 10mins is up pour it back into the brew jar filtering it, and then again let it sit 10mins, then repeat the process one last time into the serving jar. the waiting time allows any un-filtered silt to settle to the bottom of the jar, and then you just don't pour the last silty little bit out when your filtering.

• Options
    I used 14 tablespoons to 3/4 of a liter of water. I think i have a french press somewhere that i could try the process out with on a smaller scale.

Would you say that it is about 1 part coffee to 3 parts water for best results?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If you have the equipment already, you may want to take a stab at the Japanese method for creating iced coffee, too. Might as well try it out and see what you like best.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I have recently developed a love for coffee and my gf recently bought me a very nice brewer that makes an outstanding cup. I am very interested in iced coffee now that the weather is getting stupid hot.

I have nothing to contribute but this thread is very relevant to my interests!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    If you have the equipment already, you may want to take a stab at the Japanese method for creating iced coffee, too. Might as well try it out and see what you like best.
    This is an interesting method. I actually use a french press to make hot coffee normally, fill a tall cup with ice, then pour coffee veeeery slowly over the ice. It will chill (and melt the ice) immediately as you pour, making for drinkable iced coffee at the end of the pour. Great method for a quick one-off cup of iced coffee on a hot day. May take quite a few ice cubes, prepare ahead of time!

• Options
    What would you say is a good ratio of coffee grounds to water? If i am pouring it over ice that further dilutes the finished product.

I don't actually make or drink hot coffee, so i'm not familiar with the usual ratios.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    This is an interesting method. I actually use a french press to make hot coffee normally, fill a tall cup with ice, then pour coffee veeeery slowly over the ice. It will chill (and melt the ice) immediately as you pour, making for drinkable iced coffee at the end of the pour. Great method for a quick one-off cup of iced coffee on a hot day. May take quite a few ice cubes, prepare ahead of time!

Apparently keeping the time between the heating and the cooling as short as possible is a big deal. I'm not going to pretend to be a huge coffee aficionado but from my experience there's a big difference between dumping ice cubes into hot coffee and this method, so I'm guessing it's a matter of degree?
    What would you say is a good ratio of coffee grounds to water? If i am pouring it over ice that further dilutes the finished product.

I don't actually make or drink hot coffee, so i'm not familiar with the usual ratios.

Pretty much every recipe I've seen uses something around the ratio in the link 1.8 grams of coffee per fluid oz of water (in grams this is 1g of coffee per 16.7g of water).