As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Wrestling Thread] Is Experiencing Some Hard Times

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The X Cup stuff was generally good. That was the the era I thought they might be a legitimate alternative to WWE.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well in the long run they were still called "TNA"

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    It also helped that TNA had its brief flirtation with competence right around the time WWE was putting over talent like The Great Khali and shitting on Eddie Guerrero via Rey Mysterio uncomfortably close to the time of his death.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    It also helped that TNA had its brief flirtation with competence right around the time WWE was putting over talent like The Great Khali and shitting on Eddie Guerrero via Rey Mysterio uncomfortably close to the time of his death.

Yeah I didn't see it that way at all. Sure they exploited Eddie too much after his death but shitting on him? Nah.

Wait you mean the Eddie/Rey feud from 2005?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Yeah I didn't see it that way at all. Sure they exploited Eddie too much after his death but shitting on him? Nah.

Close to his death, so yeah I assume he's talking about the feud over Dominic.

• Options
    Guys, the match between KUSHIDA and Dorada on night 1 of the Best of the Super Juniors tournament is so good.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

Even so I don't see how that shit all over Eddie. It was a freaking angle.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    KUSHIDA might as well steal Shūsuke Fuji Tetsuya Naito's genius of counters gimmick.
    Not like Naito is getting back to the top in a hurry anyway.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I can't stop listening to Edge's theme.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You think you know me

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    BARMBARMBRARM

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I honestly didn't know there were any words or anything after that, until I listened to it online.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    MY DURANGO

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I can't stop listening to Edge's theme.

A reminder that when Matt Jackson hits a spear he frequently sings "ON THIS DAY" to his opponent.
    Just one more reason why the Young Bucks are the best.

Dyvim Tvar on
  • Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    KUSHIDA might as well steal Shūsuke Fuji Tetsuya Naito's genius of counters gimmick.
    Not like Naito is getting back to the top in a hurry anyway.

Naito was so salty at Ibushi in that young lions tag match at Dontaku for being a better version of himself.

...and I say this as somebody who likes Naito.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Naito is really good, he's just basically done as a top level talent for the next couple of years probably.
    Like the only guy he seems to have any real chemistry with is AJ, which is great because it makes him one of only two guys on the roster to possess that trait, however it's not conducive to getting his big push back.

I mean it's not the end of the world. Nakamura choked his first big push and now look at him, in Japan talent does tend to get more than one chance it just takes a while for the failure to wash off.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

I was more referring to the Orton/Mysterio feud heading into WM. I understand "the show must go on", but I find that shit really distasteful, just like the CM Punk/Paul Bearer stuff.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

I was more referring to the Orton/Mysterio feud heading into WM. I understand "the show must go on", but I find that shit really distasteful, just like the CM Punk/Paul Bearer stuff.

EDDIE'S IN HELL, REY!

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Heel saying shitty things, wow.

OK sure they probably shouldn't have had him say it in the first place.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    randy injury update was the best randy orton

it's all been downhill from there

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    shitty paper champion randy orton with a belt on each shoulder last year was pretty great

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I think it would have been easier if TNA just sucked from Day One and never got better, but over the years it had so many times where you thought they might actually be on to something and prosper, only to flush it down the toilet somehow. There were times where I legitimately gave them a chance and liked what I saw, but inevitably they would piss away my goodwill with nonsensical television, bad booking, and general idiocy.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    CHIKARA was fun, and no one died, and no one tried to shut down the company, which makes it easily the most successful Aniversario in the last three years.

• Options
    411Randle wrote: »
    I think it would have been easier if TNA just sucked from Day One and never got better, but over the years it had so many times where you thought they might actually be on to something and prosper, only to flush it down the toilet somehow. There were times where I legitimately gave them a chance and liked what I saw, but inevitably they would piss away my goodwill with nonsensical television, bad booking, and general idiocy.

I never really watched the product but reading up on LOLTNA what they put Samoa Joe through after 2008 was criminal. WWE has fucked up many pushes I realize but honestly I don't think anything is worse than TNA fucking up Joe so bad.

No wonder the Full Sail crowd went so nuts. "FINALLY, a place where Joe won't be screwed over!"

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Everybody wanted a strong alternative to WWE. Even WWE talks about how competition drove them to be better. There were some amazing talents that went through Orlando. Look at where AJ Styles is at right now or Samoa Joe or Xavier Woods. Those guys should have been household names for wrestling fans years ago. Instead they wasted a bunch of time playing second fiddle to overbooked gimmicky schlock when they could have just gotten over as hard working entertaining dudes. Hell the whole Knockouts division was orders of magnitude better than the Divas for years and they just sort of got buried and forgotten about. I know in theory this is all bad because people will lose jobs and there will be less options for what to watch out there. However they were considered the number two company for a long time and they did nothing will all that free good will and opportunity. I just feel like they've spent the past decade wasting everybody's time. It's time for them to at least take a long break and come back with a brand that isn't poisonous to itself.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Oh God, Joe got so screwed that it makes you wonder if he ever regretted not going to WWE and just being Umaga. I can think of at least three times where he absolutely should have won the TNA World title, and they screwed him over every. Single. Time. Most notable, I think, was the time he was in King of the Mountain and decided to turn heel and give the belt to Angle instead of actually winning the match.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    CHIKARA was fun, and no one died, and no one tried to shut down the company, which makes it easily the most successful Aniversario in the last three years.

Hallowicked vs Remington live up to the hype?

• Options

I thought it was a rad match, with a really well-told story.

The match of the show for me, though, was Gentlemen's Club (Taylor/Cassidy) vs. Crown and Court (Kimber/Jervis). That match was a DELIGHT.

• Options

I thought it was a rad match, with a really well-told story.

The match of the show for me, though, was Gentlemen's Club (Taylor/Cassidy) vs. Crown and Court (Kimber/Jervis). That match was a DELIGHT.

Cool, now that I have more solid finances I might give Chikara a second shot.

• Options
    Eddie Kingston was also ON FIRE tonight in his Atomicos match with DevCorp (which is a match I didn't realize I wanted to see until I did).

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    ROH has more weekly viewers than them. New Japan just started its second season on AXS, and their iPPVs get more viewers than both their own weekly show and Impact combined. Lucha Underground, if they get a second season and get it on Univision, will reach more viewers than all of them.

It's not exactly like there's a current lack of televised WWE alternatives, even without TNA.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Yeah it's a pretty great time to be a wrestling fan right now. Really the only problem is the sheer amount of legit WWE alternatives to choose from.

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    vgcw is better booked than tna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1XWoh9Rm8w

• Options
    So tomorrow is my last Raw in Georgia till September. I'm pretty sure I'll at least have cable in Wichita Falls but a solid wifi connection is much less certain which stinks since I'll probably miss the live showing of EC. I won't get to watch AXS New Japan either.

• Options
    ROH has more weekly viewers than them. New Japan just started its second season on AXS, and their iPPVs get more viewers than both their own weekly show and Impact combined. Lucha Underground, if they get a second season and get it on Univision, will reach more viewers than all of them.

It's not exactly like there's a current lack of televised WWE alternatives, even without TNA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQeDicFe4o

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not expecting too much out of Raw tomorrow with it being a holiday episode and them saving the real big guns for next week. Some solid wrestling content would be nice.

• Options
    Hopefully the fact that it's a throwaway episode means some low-stakes fun, like a house-show.

Unfortunately, I know it's ACTUALLY going to mean the cast of Entourage is going to be given extra time, so I'm tempering my expectations.

This discussion has been closed.