As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread of a Series of a Song of Ice & Fire & Spoilers & Deviations

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    One if those sounds like it could be an adaptation if Manderly

I kind of wonder if the grizzled Northern lord might be a recast of the Greatjon, or one of the other Umbers, and they'll combine whoever this lord is with Manderley. Also, the timid maester sounds a lot like that poor bastard maester from Victarion's plot. There was earlier casting news that suggested we might finally be getting the Greyjoys.

The outlaws also make me wonder about the Brotherhood without Banners.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »

I kind of wonder if the grizzled Northern lord might be a recast of the Greatjon, or one of the other Umbers, and they'll combine whoever this lord is with Manderley. Also, the timid maester sounds a lot like that poor bastard maester from Victarion's plot. There was earlier casting news that suggested we might finally be getting the Greyjoys.

heh

maybe somehow Shireen will be Stoneheart

Lady Stoneface

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

heh

maybe somehow Shireen will be Stoneheart

Lady Stoneface

Can the Lord of Light make a zombie out of bones and ash? That'd be pretty impressive, if so.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Stone dragon you guys. Shireen's coming to melt faces.

Also it seems pretty likely there will be a Stark in Winterfell for the endgame. So a northern rebellion next year makes sense.

I mean in the books, that Stark seems likely to be Rickon or Sansa, so bet on Sansa in the show?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah Rickon hasn't been seen in... how long?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Since the end of season 2.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Season 3, I think.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Season 3, I think.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten. For some reason I was thinking he left right after the burning of Winterfell.

• Options

Season 3, I think.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten. For some reason I was thinking he left right after the burning of Winterfell.

Well to be fair they jumped around with Bran's story so we kind of didn't see them much between Winterfell and Queenscrown.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It sounds kind of like they might combine Alysane Mormont with a couple of the Umbers. Since House Mormont is more established than the Umbers, they'll probably make the character a Mormont.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    It sounds kind of like they might combine Alysane Mormont with a couple of the Umbers. Since House Mormont is more established than the Umbers, they'll probably make the character a Mormont.

Also I was just reminded that Rickon isn't on Skagos in the show, he went to find the Umbers. So this makes aense

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

They could, theoretically, have a few different Northern lords conspiring to put a Stark back on the throne.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Yes, but given the show's propensity for condensing/combining stuff, even if they do have several Northern lords, they'll focus mainly on one or two of them.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    I bought the GoT game on the steam sale. Only about an hour in but so far it's like an even dumber version of the show. Don't know if I have the will to go on.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »
    I bought the GoT game on the steam sale. Only about an hour in but so far it's like an even dumber version of the show. Don't know if I have the will to go on.

You know what doesn't get enough love?

The Game of Thrones game that wasn't Telltale.

Seriously! It wasn't the best game, but the story it told was really great. Obviously they couldn't really connect it to the overarching ASoIaF saga, but as a story told between two new, original characters in a well-established world with lots of existing lore, it was pretty gripping, especially once it picked up.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    I heard that one was good. That came out back before GoT was the biggest show in the world so it didn't get a lot of attention, but I've been meaning to check it out.

The Telltale game is getting kind of better but the dialogue makes the show's look GRRM-level good by comparison...

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I like TellTale games, but I've steered well clear on their Game of Thrones iteration.

I just have no interest in some bit of show-based fan-fiction with no connection to the overarching plotlines.

RT800 on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    If they didn't try to shoehorn the show into it, the Telltale game would be better. I like it, but it's constantly hitting you with "hey, remember this person from the show? Well here they are!"
    They should have went with how they did with the Walking Dead and stuck closer to the source material.

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    Ice and fire could mean something entirely different. It's in the words of the oath the Reeds give when they swear fealty to Bran, for example. So ice and fire could refer to the old magic of the Children of the Forest/greenseers who it definitely seem like the Crannogmen are the only ones south of the wall to remain close to/in touch with.

And the very first real chapter from a POV character is Bran's. I think that's important.

I very much agree with this. I think Bran will end up being very important.

The book and the descriptions of Bran, Starks, wargs, greenseer's doesn't sound like a fakeout, I think it is something that will tie the fates of ice and fire together.

So tired of waiting for more books...

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've heard the best GoT video game is CKII with mods, so there ya go.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mount and Blade is probably the best GoT game

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Mount and Blade is probably the best GoT game

Nah, Musical Chairs is the best GoT game

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »
    c) people are just fundamentally wrong about what A Song of Ice and Fire is - there is no real overall story being told, it is just a series of vignettes where we see the lives (and deaths) of various people, none of it means anything, there is no payoff, and any appearance of an overarching narrative is simply an illusion the audience has created

Sort of, I think. It's fantasy told as history. If you read a book of history, you get a lot of interesting people cut off in their prime and terrible people who luck into power and influence.

In a lot of ways ASIOAF can be seen as humans bickering over petty stuff while ignoring the threat to their very existence. An analogy to climate change, or nuclear weapons, perhaps.

Perhaps some TV company should adapt something like Wheel Of Time, where there's a stronger "This means something, these people are significant" theme.

Right - I don't think it's a big secret that the War of the Roses is a major inspiration for the series, and that's a war that ends with, what five different kings over the course of the war and a number of contenders and pretenders, prominent earls, etc dead. The throne winds up in the hands of a completely different dynasty that stems from a relatively obscure noble family. There are still major unresolved "plots" - the princes in the tower being perhaps the biggest example.

This treads on much bigger questions, of course. Certain worldviews (particularly the one that was commonly held in medieval Europe) hold that history is a narrative, of sorts - that events like the War of the Roses are, in effect, stories that are being told and do have morals and meaning behind them. In the post-modern world, a lot of people would disagree with that notion. To deliberately take that stand in a series of fantasy novels (and associated TV show) is, to my knowledge, unique.

It's unique but it would be unique because it's really bad writing so nobody else wants to do it. Subverting tropes and telling stories that are not what was expected is one thing; it's entirely another to deliberately run counter to the fundamental nature of storytelling and essentially set out to write a series of books by saying "Man, people keep telling stories that are compelling and satisfying, with all this boring 'resolution' and 'closure' and 'narrative structure'. What if I wrote something that was a pointless, frustrating mess of unrelated information with no clear direction, purpose, or ending instead?"

Tropes become tropes because they're satisfying to the audience. Violate too many of them too hard, and all you've written is a story that isn't.

I agree, that's sort of what I was getting at with the "Le Master Troll" comment awhile back. If Martin actually did that - that is, he finishes the series and none of it matters and the series ends with a weak, ineffectual King Tommen (because even the prophecies that motivated Cersei are wrong) still on the throne as Westeros is overrun by the Others and all the PoV characters are dead or irrelevent - then he'd go down in the annals of fantasy literature as probably one of the most hated authors ever. He'd be some one who strung along an audience for around 20-25 years just so he could have a big, neckbeardy laugh at how stupid everyone is for expecting these novels to actually have a story.

That's also taken from the perspective of the type of person who not only read the books, but also reads enough other fantasy to understand what Martin is doing. To then take that and pitch it as a TV show on a premium network is a step beyond. People would be incensed and heads would probably roll at HBO. Certainly there have been books and TV shows that have ended in a disappointing mess before, but it's generally understood that this is some sort of accident and that the author didn't set out to end things that way "because fuck you". It is like a car crash - it's one thing to get in a car crash because of incompetence, it's another to undertake the pop culture equivalent of deliberately plowing into a school bus at 100 mph.

Maybe you're right.

You'd have a large vocal audience of people praising it as well. Especially if it is entertaining. Bad writing is an opinion, not a fact.

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I think this entire imgur gallery explains why I'm upset with the show and mostly season 5.

http://imgur.com/gallery/t8NHg

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Don't care, don't care, this is mainly in people's head not the story she's still 100% under Littlefigners power, Jamie is a child killing asshat, don't care, That plot also went nowhere, This they should have kept, Barristan WAS a good fighter on the show, they messed the Unsullied up yep, Tyrion is fine.

Stannis was fine.

The North hasn't remembered yet possibly.

Tyrion sucks in this part of the book, much better in the show (theoretically, it was OK so far).

Who cares about the Thenns.

She had a large ass and was hot. What is the problem here image person.

Loras is dumb in the books too, so...

Again, when did this happen. Sansa isn't free of anything. She's under Littlefinger's control.

Tree hobo seems accurate to me.

So like 3 hits in all of that for me.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Littlefinger turning Sansa over to the Boltons made zero goddamn sense

she's in love with her and he knowingly turns her over to a psychotic madman. and she's not under his thumb anymore. He just threw away his most valuable ace in the whole to a family of evil fuckwits. and what does he gain? zilch

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well that's talking about her mighty prowess in the books like the show took it away. Didn't happen.

Him handing her over in the show is a bit skethcy- it buys him their goodwill, though.

• Options
    I don't think Roose Bolton knows the meaning of goodwill

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Don't care, don't care, this is mainly in people's head not the story she's still 100% under Littlefigners power, Jamie is a child killing asshat, don't care, That plot also went nowhere, This they should have kept, Barristan WAS a good fighter on the show, they messed the Unsullied up yep, Tyrion is fine.

Stannis was fine.

The North hasn't remembered yet possibly.

Tyrion sucks in this part of the book, much better in the show (theoretically, it was OK so far).

Who cares about the Thenns.

She had a large ass and was hot. What is the problem here image person.

Loras is dumb in the books too, so...

Again, when did this happen. Sansa isn't free of anything. She's under Littlefinger's control.

Tree hobo seems accurate to me.

So like 3 hits in all of that for me.

I disagree with everything you've said except that Sansa (in the books) isn't free of Littlefinger's control.

• Options
    There was a lot more to Robb's wife than having a big ass and being hot. And frankly, the story from the books was so obviously a Lannister plant idk how people prefer that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Sansa in the books is still under Littlefinger's control but she's more his student now than his prisoner.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

she's in love with her and he knowingly turns her over to a psychotic madman. and she's not under his thumb anymore. He just threw away his most valuable ace in the whole to a family of evil fuckwits. and what does he gain? zilch

Please recall that the show runners have stated that little finger does NOT know that Ramsay is a psycho

Yeah, yeah.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Please recall that the show runners have stated that little finger does NOT know that Ramsay is a psycho

Yeah, yeah.

Seems like only Roose, Sansa, and Theon know. Somehow.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There was a lot more to Robb's wife than having a big ass and being hot. And frankly, the story from the books was so obviously a Lannister plant idk how people prefer that.

???

I don't think it was at all obvious.

Especially considering in the end the girl isn't even in on it.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Yeah, yeah.

Seems like only Roose, Sansa, and Theon know. Somehow.

Nobody else looked at Bolton's banner.

Or else everybody thinks they are a long line of physicians.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

???

I should think it obvious that a pawn in this world-or any other-neednt' be in on it for a plot to be had.

That was my impression as I read through. At least Talisa had some amount of agency about herself and was a whole person, not just the victim of Robb's eddardian psychoses.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

???

It was a simple plot but hey, those work. I definitely felt it was better for having been a plot of his enemies that took advantage of him while he was injured and drugged rather than him just thinking this highly improbable freelance sexy doctor is worth fucking everything up for.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Stannis and Sansa are clearly underserved on the show, but I think most of the rest of those criticisms are pretty lazy.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

???

I should think it obvious that a pawn in this world-or any other-neednt' be in on it for a plot to be had.

That was my impression as I read through. At least Talisa had some amount of agency about herself and was a whole person, not just the victim of Robb's eddardian psychoses.

Yeah but I don't see why it's obvious she's a pawn.

• Options
    idk man

Robb's story was really dumb and she's from a vassal of Tywin. That and how weird Tywin was being in the lead up to the Red Wedding made me think she was a part of it during my read through.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.