As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    I imagine historically that axes would beat lances because an attacker can put the lance aside and swing in with the axe, and in a tightly-packed formation the spear is too long to be maneuvered defensively. And swords would beat axes because... the Romans used swords and they killed a buttload of axe-wielding barbarians. And swords lose to lances because... uhh....

I think the real question we should be asking is where's the halberds and pikes? I remember there being a halberd in one of the GBA Fire Emblems, but that's it.

historically i believe the argument is that swords outmanuever axes, lances outreach swords, and axes crush lances

The real historical argument is that swords beat both of them, because swords were used almost exclusively by trained soldiers whereas spears and axes were mostly used by conscripts like peasants who couldn't afford to buy an item designed exclusively for killing other people.

Until effective plate armour arrived which severely reduced the effectiveness of slashing hits so then halberds, maces, flails and picks were favoured because they could pierce or crush through the plate. Heck, swords later adapted to become rapiers or had a blunt section just above the cross guard for gripping so they could be used as a thrusting weapon.

But that's all moot because the real star of the show was the crossbow. A weapon so effective against armour, so cheap to produce and requiring near zero training that a request was submitted to the pope to outlaw its use because a peasant could kill a noble who's spent their entire life in martial training with minimal risk.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I caved and pre-ordered the Chrom starter deck for Fire Emblem Cipher

I know I can't read the cards but I read the rules and it sounds like a really cool combination of the WoW TCG and Pokémon and... I wanted it! Also the cards look so good.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I imagine historically that axes would beat lances because an attacker can put the lance aside and swing in with the axe, and in a tightly-packed formation the spear is too long to be maneuvered defensively. And swords would beat axes because... the Romans used swords and they killed a buttload of axe-wielding barbarians. And swords lose to lances because... uhh....

I think the real question we should be asking is where's the halberds and pikes? I remember there being a halberd in one of the GBA Fire Emblems, but that's it.

Halberds and Pikes tend to get set in the Lance family, right? As do spears and javelins.

I always figured it was because Axes were heavier than lances, lances were longer than swords (who weren't strong enough to beat aside the lance), and swords were longer and more agile than axes (unlike lances, which are longer still, but lighter and less agile).

Obviously bullshit, but it at least has some logical consistency.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    ugh, I can't be getting excited for this if it isn't out until next year

do we know if they're using the same localization team as on Awakening?

that's like half the draw

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Question, has there ever been a lord that didn't use a sword as a default?

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »

Hector?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Tairu wrote: »

Hector?

also Ephraim

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Also Micaiah I guess.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    But insofar as "main" or "first" Lords are concerned, I'm pretty confident it's all swords all the time.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    It would be cool to see a super powerful axe or lance that had the same story significance as the Falchion

• Options
    "Embarrassingly, we seem to be unable to dislodge the Falchion from its decorative mounting post. Since destroying the evil dragon is the more pressing matter by a wide margin, please consider the legendary weapon to be a spear for the time being. Thank you!"

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    But insofar as "main" or "first" Lords are concerned, I'm pretty confident it's all swords all the time.

Nope, Ephraim. Eirika is swords, but he's spears iirc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hence why I threw "first" in there as a qualifier. Eirika is the first Lord you get, and I don't recall Ephraim rising above "co-main".

EDIT: To be absolutely clear, what I meant to say was "if the game had a Lord who was clearly the central figure of the story, that Lord wields a Sword". Therefore, I don't think Ephraim counts against the statement because, at most, he's co-mains with Eirika, and since you get Eirika first she stands out a little more in my mind.

Kupi on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Bah. Going back to awakening and trying to do OTHER marriages than my go-to powergame ones is annoying me so much.

Mostly because of chrom. God damnit, Chrom. Go for the damn dancer!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Well, this is interesting. New screenshot from Famitsu:

8zgVxRG.jpg

It shows that Joker the Butler can change classes to either Paladin, Great Knight or Strategist (which looks to be a male version of Valkyrie, judging by the stats and weapons). The item he's using is called "Parallel Proof" which I guess is this game's version of the Second Seal. It's using the Master Seal icon but it's likely not a promotion since the stats are mostly shuffled around and the Butler is already a promoted class.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Japanese seals were indeed "proof". And I'd hope "Parallel" is what it claims.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Hm another thing.

Won't there only five skill slots in Awakening?

Seem to be six now.

That said one circle seems to have a bigger outline than the others. So maybe that's a skill permanent to your current class.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hm another thing.

Won't there only five skill slots in Awakening?

Seem to be six now.

That said one circle seems to have a bigger outline than the others. So maybe that's a skill permanent to your current class.

Could potentially also be a skill intrinsic to each character, but no way to know until we have more context

Orphane on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Either way I like the idea of a bonus skill.

One of the issues I had with awakening was that since skills only needed to be unlocked and stats could be maximized their was very little point in keeping some units a certain class.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Interesting.

http://serenesforest.net/2015/05/25/fire-emblem-famitsu-full-interview/
    Javelins and similar ranged weapons (such as Hand Axes, most likely, and not naturally ranged weapons like Tomes or Hidden Weapons) can no longer double attack.

Although Pegasus Knights have been in the series so far, they technically do not exist in this game. Instead we have Hoshido’s very similar “Pegasus Warrior” class.

But unlike the female-only Pegasus Knights of yore, these Pegasus Warriors can be male or female. After promoting, they can wield Bows in addition to Lances.

Also, the preview for this week's Famitsu is up, including artwork of Elfie, a Nohrian Knight:

w6ENRbh.jpg

Maz- on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hmmm. That thing about hand axes/Javelins is very interesting.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    It's definitely a buff for archers and mages.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Not that mages needed any buffs. It's definitely an indirect buff to archers though.

Edit: Watch them introduce Brave Javelins and Hand Axes though...

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    If Pegasus Knights are no longer female-exclusive, I can only hope that Fighters are no longer male-exclusive either.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    If Pegasus Knights are no longer female-exclusive, I can only hope that Fighters are no longer male-exclusive either.

at the very least, the Hosido Fighter equivalent, Oni (uses maces instead of axes) isn't gender locked

cfmugu4nq0n5.png

Butler guy has a valkyrie-equivalent available, too

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Archers have needed some love for a bit now.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    OLxzYEJ.jpg

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-fire-emblem-if-scans-and-details-new-characters-and-more/
    New Fire Emblem If scans have leaked out of Famitsu a bit earlier than expected. That means we have new images from the game, as well as a bunch of new details. The latest scans are posted above, while the information (covering characters and more) can be found below.

New character details

– Cyrus (Cavalier): A fledgling Nohrian knight. Has known the Avatar since childhood; an ally in both campaigns.
    – Elfie (Knight): A knight who serves Nohr’s princess Elise. Contrary to her appearance, she possesses amazing strength. Never misses training.
    – Harold (Brave Hero): Elise’s subordinate. He fights with the belief that he’s a hero of justice; his drawback is that he’s plagued with exceptionally bad luck.
    – Hinata (Samurai): Hails from a family of samurais who have served Hoshido for generations. Hinata himself serves under Takumi. Quick to quarrel, but thinks often of his friends.
    – Oboro (Lancer): Takumi’s subordinate, who harbours a small crush for her liege (Takumi). Because of her past experience, she possesses a stronger hatred for Nohr than most people.
    – Rinka (Oni): A fighter born into the “Fire Clan”. Following her father–the chieftain’s orders, she aids the people of Hoshido in their battle against Nohr.
    – Tsukuyomi (Spellcaster): Unlike Rinka, he was born into the “Wind Clan”. Despite his young age, a talented spellcaster. Hates dark places.

Skills

– Avatar – Mysterious Charisma – When acting as the support (back unit), if the front unit has a C or higher support, the front unit’s Accuracy is boosted by 10, damage by 2 and damage received reduced by 2
    – Hinata: When at half HP or lower, damage received by swords, lances and axes is halved
    – Elfie: Light-weight – When the enemy’s Strength is 5 points higher than this unit, this unit’s damage increases by 3
    – Oboro: Nohr-hater – When engaging a Nohr-related enemy, damage increases by 3
    – Harold: Unlucky Soul – Enemies within a 2 tile radius have their Critical Evade reduced by 15, while the user’s Critical Evade is reduced by 5
    – Tsukuyomi: Arrogance – When unit’s Level is lower than the enemy’s (promoted units count as Level +20), damage increases by 4
    – Lancer Class: Defence Seal – After damaging an enemy, the enemy’s Defence is reduced by 6.
    – Lancer Class: Substitute – On the map, the user can select an adjacent target to “substitute”. This probably allows the user to take damage instead of their target and useful for protecting weak/wounded allies.
    – Kazahana’s inactive skill increases Damage by 10, but also increases Damage received from enemies by 10. She also has “Flowing Strike”, Vantage and Strength Seal.

Also, the Samurai class can promote into a Sword Saint (basically the Hoshido version of the Swordmaster) or a Tactician (not the avatar's class from Awakening; can use swords, axes and lances).

Maz- on
  • Options
    Yeah!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Harold sounds like the Captain America dude.

Edit: Also, seems that earlier poster was right about everyone having personal skills.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Harold is my favorite.

I'm falling in love with characters in a game I can't play for almost a year, this is a problem.

• Options
    Harold sounds like the Captain America dude.

Edit: Also, seems that earlier poster was right about everyone having personal skills.

*flexes*

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Archers have needed some love for a bit now.

Well, the changes also mean that archers can't deal with swords even at range.

• Options
    Wait, Olivia is a non-child who's the best at something. So, who's best at carrying Olivia around while she gives turns to Morgan?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nohr continues to look even more superior every reveal.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Wait, Olivia is a non-child who's the best at something. So, who's best at carrying Olivia around while she gives turns to Morgan?

Boots.

• Options
    Boots don't pair up.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Boots don't pair up.

Because there are no feet for them to pair up with in Awakening.

• Options
    I guess Frederick is a good bodyguard. Inigo/Morgan/Lucina have a lower support-rank.

• Options
    I was never a big fan of the dancer class in any FE game, and it sucks that you'll probably be forced to use one in if.