As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone have experience with 1-800-GotJunk?

RedDamaskRedDamask Registered User new member
edited May 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm moving and have to do a lot of downsizing. I was thinking about calling 1-800-GotJunk to take away some old furniture and appliances. Anyone have experience with them? I'm particularly interested in whether they will actually recycle my appliances, as they claim, or if that's just part of their sales pitch.

RedDamask on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I've worked with them before. Could have been a better experience.

I'm not sure what kind of appliances you're talking about, but I would actually recommend that before you call someplace like GOTJUNK you give your local Habitat For Humanity a ring. Anything they won't take you can always have removed by a for-profit service that you have to pay for, but a charity will take what they can for free and the stuff is tax-deductible.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Same with the AmVets. They typically pick up working items for free.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I got a quote from them a few years ago while in the process of closing down an office. They were far and away the most expensive vendor I contacted. I can't speak to their service, since I went with a much more reasonable option.

I'd second the charity recommendation. From there I'd recommend looking for an independent "folks with a truck" sort of hauling advertisement. Some will just charge you for time/labor and have you pay any dump fees, others will wrap those fees into the price. Either way it should be less expensive than the got junk people.

Or, if you have the time and don't mind the hassle, maybe try posting stuff for free on craigslist or freecycle.

Oh and another thing as far as the appliances go - you may be able to contact your local municipal waste center or (in some cases, like refrigerators) your power supplier. You might even be able eligible for rebates or statement credits. Depending on the amount of stuff you have to get rid of, you might also consider renting a debris bin for a weekend or something.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'd recommend posting any working items on Craigslist for free. Someone will show up for them.

Otherwise I'm a fan of thumbtack for this sort of thing. It'll be cheaper and whoever takes it probably knows a junker that can use the stuff.

• Options
    RedDamaskRedDamask Registered User new member
    Thanks, everyone! This helps me a lot. I hadn't even considered a bunch of these options.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    We had a freaking terrible experience. My wife called, and when the guy asked how much stuff we had she said she wasn't sure how to estimate it but that it was a 10'x10' space in the garage.

I'm not sure what he was expecting but it wasn't that, because he called my wife a "fucking bitch" and hung up. She called the "corporate" line and got the same guy again! And he basically started cursing her out again and "What makes you think anyone cares what you think?"

Yeah this seriously happened...over junk hauling. Not a great day.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Wooooooow

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I used them in Calgary, had no issues, was moving from a smaller apartment to a 4 story walk up. Couch, old CRT a bunch of other crap was junked. Chainsawed the couch in half to get it out the door easier. Was pricey but was worth it. YMMV

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    We had a freaking terrible experience. My wife called, and when the guy asked how much stuff we had she said she wasn't sure how to estimate it but that it was a 10'x10' space in the garage.

I'm not sure what he was expecting but it wasn't that, because he called my wife a "fucking bitch" and hung up. She called the "corporate" line and got the same guy again! And he basically started cursing her out again and "What makes you think anyone cares what you think?"

Yeah this seriously happened...over junk hauling. Not a great day.

Maybe he's on the metric system.

One way I sometimes get rid of old stuff that I can't donate/give away is to put it on my lawn at night. Put a sign on it that says "$50" and by morning someone will have stolen it.

Or I call the city. The city will come pick up almost anything for free.

For actual garbage that you need to get rid of. Like debris. And heavy stuff. I used Bagster once and it was great. Affordable for a bathroom reno job that would have easily been 2-3 dump trips and borrowing a friend's truck.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Try these guys

Habitat Restore stores

( Guessing you are in Canada because of GotJunk, these guys will come get your stuff, refurbish it, and sell it at low prices charity style.)

edit: Page seems like it's electronics only, but they also do furniture and many other things

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508