As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Got my first Google security update last night.

Me too, actually.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Starting to think I should look into rooting my 1+1 in order to get CM12.1 on my phone. Supposed to come out OTA this month but I'm not holding my breath.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I don't think it's been mentioned, but Verizon is rolling out a security patch for the Nexus 6, Note 4 and Note Edge. If you haven't been prompted yet you can probably get it by checking manually.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Has anybody picked up a new Moto G yet? If so, what's the verdict?

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Installed the Samsung GS5 update from T-Mobile last night and it already feels less clunky. This could be a placebo effect, but it's been nice none-the-less. It's still Android 5.1.1, but the update was targeting phone performance.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I heard on a podcast today that AT&T is (also) rolling out WiFi calling. Does anyone have details? I'm on AT&T but I bought my N5 direct from Google; so I'm not sure if I'm eligible. I seem to remember the TMo version of WiFi calling required some low level software; so you had to purchase direct in order to get the feature enabled.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So no Galaxy Note 5 for Europe. Way to kill an entire market Samsung.

*Edit* reading more about it and Samsungs 'reasoning' behind the decision is stupid as hell. Basically thinking that there's a better market of selling the S6 Edge Plus model now and maybe sometime next year put out the Note 5 in the UK. Because fragmenting markets and selling the same hardware 6-12 months down the line worked so well for Sony when selling handsets in the US? Because this S6 Edge Plus is based on the notoriously poor selling S6 line with a bigger screen and extra RAM will suddenly rekindle the market like how HTC Sensation XE, One X Plus or SE Xperia Arc S did?

Seriously its like Samsung have forgotten the past 5 years of why they were considered the market leader on Android devices and are making the mistakes other manufacturers have made (and some continue to) years ago. All while still ignoring the rise in high spec, quality handsets being sold at a fraction of the price!

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I've been waiting to get a 9-10" tablet, but the upcoming Galaxy S2 tablet looks incredibly mediocre. I keep waiting for Sony to release their Z4 tablet here, but that was supposed to be a few months back. Any other suggestions?

I know there's also the Nexus 9, but I haven't been impressed with the reviews of it so far.

工事中
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    I've been waiting to get a 9-10" tablet, but the upcoming Galaxy S2 tablet looks incredibly mediocre. I keep waiting for Sony to release their Z4 tablet here, but that was supposed to be a few months back. Any other suggestions?

I know there's also the Nexus 9, but I haven't been impressed with the reviews of it so far.

iPad.

Number One Tricky
  • Options

Once the battery issue has been resolved the Nvidia Shield Tablet is an excellent choice and not too expensive. The Sony Z4 Tablet has been out for a while in the UK and very few retailers are stocking it. From my time using it was on par with other high end Android Tablets but Sony have had this stupid idea of trying to force that keyboard accessory with a lot of packages the keyboard isn't very ergonomic and adds quite the extra cost to what was already an expensive tablet.

I agree the Galaxy S2 Tablet looks quite poor compared to the older version. However the original Galaxy Tab S are still really good and might be worth picking one of clearance.

The Nexus 9 in the UK at least was priced right out of the market until last month when it had a £100 price drop. However at £199 for 16GB (7.8GB free) with no expandable memory is a joke in todays standards.

• Options
    a nu start wrote: »
    iPad.

Not interested in iOS at all.
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Once the battery issue has been resolved the Nvidia Shield Tablet is an excellent choice and not too expensive. The Sony Z4 Tablet has been out for a while in the UK and very few retailers are stocking it. From my time using it was on par with other high end Android Tablets but Sony have had this stupid idea of trying to force that keyboard accessory with a lot of packages the keyboard isn't very ergonomic and adds quite the extra cost to what was already an expensive tablet.

I agree the Galaxy S2 Tablet looks quite poor compared to the older version. However the original Galaxy Tab S are still really good and might be worth picking one of clearance.

The Nexus 9 in the UK at least was priced right out of the market until last month when it had a £100 price drop. However at £199 for 16GB (7.8GB free) with no expandable memory is a joke in todays standards.

I've heard good things about the Shield, but I'm not sure if 8" is big enough. Part of the reason I'm looking at tablets is for reading PDFs without having to be constantly zooming and panning. If 8" would work fine, I was also looking at the Xperia Z3 Compact (yes, I'm a bit of a Sony whore).

I've played around with the old Tab S 10.5" a bit, but it seemed somewhat slow. If I do go that route, I'd probably wipe it for a clean CM build or something.

I didn't see the Nexus 9 only had 16gb. That is ... unfortunate without expandable memory.

工事中
  • Options
    a nu start wrote: »
    iPad.

Not interested in iOS at all.

I've heard good things about the Shield, but I'm not sure if 8" is big enough. Part of the reason I'm looking at tablets is for reading PDFs without having to be constantly zooming and panning. If 8" would work fine, I was also looking at the Xperia Z3 Compact (yes, I'm a bit of a Sony whore).

I've played around with the old Tab S 10.5" a bit, but it seemed somewhat slow. If I do go that route, I'd probably wipe it for a clean CM build or something.

I didn't see the Nexus 9 only had 16gb. That is ... unfortunate without expandable memory.

I think with the arrival of the Tab S2 being in the same 9" square profile as the iPad and Nexus 9, we will start to see less and less tablets adopt the 10" profile. There is a 32GB Nexus 9 about (Its £299 in the UK) but think its limited to about 20-25 GB of free space with again no expandable memory.

In a lot of retail demo units with 3rd party tablets seem to have always been overloaded with running apps and having to constantly run the retail mode which could be a cause for the slowdown issues. Combine that with a lot of units not getting regular updates unless a company rep visits can and you find that a lot of units run quite poor. If you can at retailers ask if they have another non demo unit to test ( a lot will) and give it a try then. The reason I say this is that the Samsung Tab S and Tab Pro lines run quite well and zippy but when you try retail demo units they run like complete ass.

Another couple of options could be looking at the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 or whatever replacement might be on its way? Might be a little more restrictive than standard android stuff but as a pure media viewing device its highly rated. Or even if you could splash out on the budget maybe a Surface 3 or Pro3? Not android but are really excellent devices.

• Options
    Yeah, my dad has a Surface Pro 3 and really likes it. I'll keep it in mind, since I keep forgetting it's similarly priced to other tablets.

I'm not completely sold on Amazon tablets, plus I live in Australia and I'm not sure if they sell non-Kindles here. I'll definitely give them a check, though. Looks like the 32gb Nexus 9 is also sold here in Australia, so I'll probably compare it to the Samsung Tab S and Tab Pro ones.

工事中
  • Options
    yea, the Nexus 9 going to a 4:3 ratio was a big deal, and means we'll see fewer 16:9 tablets.

Honestly, that's a good thing. Other than widescreen video 4:3 is just a better ratio in that size of device in almost every way. I really wish that my shield tablet was taller in landscape.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    my only problem with the nexus 9 has been the battery life and the charge time, which are both really poor. otherwise its been a decent tablet (at least better than my old samsung tab 7 2).

supposedly android m will fix that first issue, so here's hoping.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Have you tried a charger with a higher rated amperage? That could likely be your only issue with the second item.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    my only problem with the nexus 9 has been the battery life and the charge time, which are both really poor. otherwise its been a decent tablet (at least better than my old samsung tab 7 2).

There have been a few reports of build quality issues with the nexus 9 that have dogged its reputation at launch despite a number of them being resolved.

The biggest problem with the 9 though has always been its initial pricing and value for what you got especially compared to other high end android tablets. The issue has been addressed only recently with some regions seeing a large price drop.

• Options

There have been a few reports of build quality issues with the nexus 9 that have dogged its reputation at launch despite a number of them being resolved.

The biggest problem with the 9 though has always been its initial pricing and value for what you got especially compared to other high end android tablets. The issue has been addressed only recently with some regions seeing a large price drop.

I hate that "perceived value" slack it took.

The highest end mobile processing (at the time) on a > 1080p screen isn't a $250 product. People just always want google to sell Nexus devices for dirt cheap.

The only reason I didn't buy a N9 personally was I wanted the gaming features/exclusives on the Shield tablet. If I didn't care about those things I'd own a N9. Some days I actually still wish I did.

• Options
    Have you tried a charger with a higher rated amperage? That could likely be your only issue with the second item.

That doesn't work with the Nexus 9, the apparatus in the tablet itself regulates charging regardless of what amperage you feed it and limits it to 1.5mA. HTC also bafflingly made it incompatible with their own high speed charger using the Qualcomm tech (the charger that comes with the Nexus 9 is identical to the one that comes with the One m8).

That said, I'm probably going to look into getting a higher charger as supposedly the tablet and stock charger doesn't always run at the 1.5mA range (people have reported measuring it only running at 0.5mA at times)

• Options

That doesn't work with the Nexus 9, the apparatus in the tablet itself regulates charging regardless of what amperage you feed it and limits it to 1.5mA. HTC also bafflingly made it incompatible with their own high speed charger using the Qualcomm tech (the charger that comes with the Nexus 9 is identical to the one that comes with the One m8).

That said, I'm probably going to look into getting a higher charger as supposedly the tablet and stock charger doesn't always run at the 1.5mA range (people have reported measuring it only running at 0.5mA at times)

grab Ampere from the play store and it can show you what your charging rate is. I've found it pretty reliable. It'll at least tell you if it is charging slower than the 1.5 it should be, and let you try different chargers to see if you get different results. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I kind of disagree, in that there's another use for landscape. Landscape on tablets made it so that apps on tablet and phones have similar, if not identical, layouts.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

I hate that "perceived value" slack it took.

The highest end mobile processing (at the time) on a > 1080p screen isn't a $250 product. People just always want google to sell Nexus devices for dirt cheap.

The only reason I didn't buy a N9 personally was I wanted the gaming features/exclusives on the Shield tablet. If I didn't care about those things I'd own a N9. Some days I actually still wish I did.

As much as I like the device to use. The fact that stock android runs so smooth and I really liked it's 4:3 ratio display. I would love it to be the number 1 choice for android tablets. However the thing at launched had build quality issues, and was literally in iPad pricing bracket. It needed a fantastic first impression on the public at launch to compete at that price but it didn't. At the same time you could pick up android tablets that had far better quality screens with higher resolutions, longer battery life and expandable memory for nearly $100 less. It was never about people expecting the nexus devices to be cheap but to be competitive in all fronts.

I suppose for some people looked far too close to the infamous HP Touchpad (I kid you not that's what a lot of consumers have stated as a reason for dismissing it).

• Options
    Yeah I don't think it was worth $480 (32gb model). Mine also has the issue with the screen where it flickers if the brightness is at 30% or lower when the image on screen is mostly white. Deffo build quality issues. I think it could end up being a really good tablet with some refinement though.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    My wife gets text messages with long audio files attached. She said since the latest system update on her Droid Turbo, the audio stops when here screen goes blank instead of continuing to play like it did before the update. Any one know how I can fix this?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Do we have a general technology thread still? I couldn't find it with search and I don't want to clutter this one up with a question about chrome.

[edit]Whoot, found it. Don't mind me.[/edit]

Krieghund on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Hey Android thread! I'm lost and need your help!

My GF and I are about to finally make the switch over to smartphones. She hates phablet sizes and I hate bloatware, so after looking around and reading a lot of glowing reviews, we wanted to get a couple of the new Moto G's. Carrying around an expensive flagship would make us nervous, and we figured since we're new to fancy phones we could handle the shortcomings (i.e. lower grade camera/display/processor etc).

However, we were also planning to hop on to T-mobile in the process, as we've been generally unhappy with the costs of Verizon (until we talked to friends, we didn't know it was unusual to have a two phone plan with no data for 145$, apparently they were just fleecing us!). The Moto G dropped band 12 support though, which apparently is something t-mobile has been pushing to fix indoor reception (and do some VoLTE stuff?), including where we'll be using them (LA area). Parts of the internet seem to consider this a dealbreaker.

Most of this is nonsense to me, is this something we should be concerned about? Does it warrant us looking in to other phones?

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »
    Hey Android thread! I'm lost and need your help!

My GF and I are about to finally make the switch over to smartphones. She hates phablet sizes and I hate bloatware, so after looking around and reading a lot of glowing reviews, we wanted to get a couple of the new Moto G's. Carrying around an expensive flagship would make us nervous, and we figured since we're new to fancy phones we could handle the shortcomings (i.e. lower grade camera/display/processor etc).

However, we were also planning to hop on to T-mobile in the process, as we've been generally unhappy with the costs of Verizon (until we talked to friends, we didn't know it was unusual to have a two phone plan with no data for 145$, apparently they were just fleecing us!). The Moto G dropped band 12 support though, which apparently is something t-mobile has been pushing to fix indoor reception (and do some VoLTE stuff?), including where we'll be using them (LA area). Parts of the internet seem to consider this a dealbreaker.

Most of this is nonsense to me, is this something we should be concerned about? Does it warrant us looking in to other phones?

Seems weird as the FCC had approval ratings on VoLTE with the new Moto G. It has the look and feeling that there will be an exclusive T-Mobile variant with the band unlocked down the line.

• Options
    I think TMo has been making a bigger push for Voice over WiFi; so I'm guessing the indoor reception could be less of an issue, depending on where you use the phone.

Another option is to get your hands on the MotoX at a store like Best Buy, to see how big it really is. The larger size may be worth getting used to if it presumably means stuff like band 12 support is unlocked.

There's also a slew of other options, such as Nexus 6 on ProjectFi. Now is the time to do some proper research. Do what you can to avoid contracts so that you can change hardware down the line, until you land on a phone that you really like.

• Options
    well hello there, 2015 Nexus 5.

lg-nexus-5-2015-live-leak.jpg?itok=cfPSLfwu

• Options

Is that an iphone fingerprint scanner button?

• Options
    well, not an iphone one exactly, since it's on the back, but yea. Android M will have built in fingreprint support, so it makes sense that the nexus devices this year will have it.

I don't love the placement on the back, but I so desperately need something to replace my 2013 Nexus 5 that this will probably be my next phone. I'm just hoping for it starting at 32GB of storage, and camera and battery that doesn't suck.

the camera is encouraging though. As much as the bulges kinda suck they usually mean better optics since the cmaera housing is bigger. Also, laser autofocus!

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i have a moto x-2 on t-mobile and have zero issues with it reception wise

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

Please be 5.2" Please be "5.2" Please be "5.2"

Also, if that circle below the lens is a finger print scanner that, to me, seems like an awkward place to have it. I'd much prefer to have it on the front of the phone.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Cormac wrote: »

Also, if that circle below the lens is a finger print scanner that, to me, seems like an awkward place to have it. I'd much prefer to have it on the front of the phone.

my guess is you can turn that option off in the access menu if you don't want it. I can't imagine it being a requirement to have

though that is roughly the exact spot i put my finger when i unlock my phone

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Seems weird as the FCC had approval ratings on VoLTE with the new Moto G. It has the look and feeling that there will be an exclusive T-Mobile variant with the band unlocked down the line.
    Apparently a similar thing happened with the Moto E. It came with band 12, but because it didn't support VoLTE, T-mobile didn't want users to be in areas where they had data but were unable to make calls, so they requested Moto remove it, which they did in a patch. They never picked it up for a T-mobile variant.
    I think TMo has been making a bigger push for Voice over WiFi; so I'm guessing the indoor reception could be less of an issue, depending on where you use the phone.

Another option is to get your hands on the MotoX at a store like Best Buy, to see how big it really is. The larger size may be worth getting used to if it presumably means stuff like band 12 support is unlocked.

There's also a slew of other options, such as Nexus 6 on ProjectFi. Now is the time to do some proper research. Do what you can to avoid contracts so that you can change hardware down the line, until you land on a phone that you really like.

Sadly, it doesn't support Wifi calling either. I take it a lack of band 12/ VoLTE/Wifi calling is significant then? Back to the drawing board I guess :(

• Options
    There will be 2 nexus phones this year. the LG one pictured there is supposed to be 5.1 or 5.2. There's also allegedly Huawei one coming as well that is a 5.7" model.

Choice!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

To me that seems like the ideal place for the scanner. It looks to be right about where the tip of your index finger rests when you hold the phone... Almost the same spot as the Motorola logo "dimple" on the Moto X.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

actually, that is the perfect place for a fingeprint scanner.

the huawei ascend mate 7 has it there, and it works awesomely - you simply hold your index finger there naturally when you open your phone case or want to use our phone and it's unlocked

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Any news of the Nexus 6 2015?

I want it so bad.. Got my Ascend mate 7 back, new and in mint packaging from a warranty case.

I think I'll sell it and wait for the Nexus 6 2015

My Old Xperia Z1 will have to do until then..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.