As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Didn't they update recently?
    Shield K1 or something? Not sure how big the change were, but it seems to be listed as a newer model.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think I'm just going to keep my note 3 until samsung can make a new note analog that's less combustible.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Didn't they update recently?
    Shield K1 or something? Not sure how big the change were, but it seems to be listed as a newer model.

it was exactly the same internal hardware, just a cost reduced model like you see with game consoles. it looked a little different, and doesn't have a stylus in the box/a receptacle for it like the original model, but the specs are the same.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Ah, thanks. I don't remember much press around it, just that the old one was replaced on Amazon.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Another nail in the coffin.
    WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), today announced it is issuing an emergency order to ban all Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphone devices from air transportation in the United States. Individuals who own or possess a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device may not transport the device on their person, in carry-on baggage, or in checked baggage on flights to, from, or within the United States. This prohibition includes all Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices. The phones also cannot be shipped as air cargo. The ban will be effective on Saturday, October 15, 2016, at noon ET.

“We recognize that banning these phones from airlines will inconvenience some passengers, but the safety of all those aboard an aircraft must take priority,” said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “We are taking this additional step because even one fire incident inflight poses a high risk of severe personal injury and puts many lives at risk.”

Device owners have experienced documented incidents of dangerous evolution of heat with both recalled and replacement Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices. Samsung and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) acknowledged this imminent safety hazard with the company’s September 15, 2016 and October 13, 2016 recalls. Additionally, on October 11, 2016, Samsung suspended the manufacture and sale of the Samsung Galaxy Note7 device.

“The fire hazard with the original Note7 and with the replacement Note7 is simply too great for anyone to risk it and not respond to this official recall,” said CPSC Chairman Elliot F. Kaye. “I would like to remind consumers once again to take advantage of the remedies offered, including a full refund. It’s the right thing to do and the safest thing to do.”

What air travelers should know

If passengers attempt to travel by air with their Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices, the phones may be confiscated and passengers may face fines.

Passengers who attempt to evade the ban by packing their phone in checked luggage are increasing the risk of a catastrophic incident. Anyone violating the ban may be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines.

Passengers currently traveling with Samsung Galaxy Note7 phones should contact Samsung or their wireless carrier immediately to obtain information about how to return their phones and arrange for a refund or a replacement phone. Samsung has provided guidance for customers about refund and replacement options, as well as how to contact wireless carriers, at http://www.samsung.com/us/note7recall/ [external link]. Samsung is also answering customers’ questions at 1-844-365-6197.
    If an airline representative observes that a passenger is in possession of a Samsung Note7 device prior to boarding an aircraft, the air carrier must deny boarding to the passenger unless and until the passenger divests themselves and their carry-on and checked baggage of the Samsung Galaxy Note7 device. Passengers absolutely should not pack the phones in their checked luggage.

If a flight crew member identifies that a passenger is in possession of a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device while the aircraft is in flight, the crew member must instruct the passenger to power off the device, not use or charge the device while aboard the aircraft, protect the device from accidental activation, including disabling any features that may turn on the device, such as alarm clocks, and keep the device on their person and not in the overhead compartment, seat back pocket, nor in any carry-on baggage, for the duration of the flight.
    The Samsung Galaxy Note7 device is considered a forbidden hazardous material under the Federal Hazardous Material Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171-185), which forbid airline passengers or crew from traveling with lithium cells or batteries or portable electronic devices that are likely to generate a dangerous evolution of heat. PHMSA has issued a special permit to Samsung to facilitate commercial shipment of the recalled devices by ground transportation.

The Emergency Order will be on display in the Federal Register display on Friday, October 14, 2016, and the ban will be effective on Saturday, October 15, 2016, at noon ET.For additional information on the recall, visit the CPSC website at www.cpsc.gov.

For additional information on returning your recalled Galaxy Note7 device to the manufacturer, call 1-800-SAMSUNG or 1-800-726-7864 or visit the website: http://www.samsung.com/us/note7recall/

For additional information about safe travel with lithium batteries and other potentially hazardous materials, visit the DOT Safe Travel Website at http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries.

Additional passenger information from the FAA is available at: http://www.faa.gov/Go/PackSafe. For all other questions about the transportation of hazardous materials, contact PHMA’s Hazardous Materials Information Center at 1-800-467-4922 or Email.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Returned the Note 7 today, and stuck the SIM card in my wife's old Note 4. Back to having to check the USB cable before plugging it in the right direction like some kind of peasant.

On the plus side, this freed my upgrade back up, so I was able to order the Pixel XL. Thursday I have a new phone. That will be nice.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Can any of you classy folks give me a legit reason not to get the Nvidia Shield Tablet? My youngest just eviscerated my oldest's Nexus 7, and I'm looking to replace it. He prefers Steam to consoles, and my PC/wireless can easily handle the Steam stream.

Anyone here have any experiences with the Shield? It's sub $200, and seems to be reviewed well.

I have the original shield model and it is fantastic. The only pause I'd have at this poitn is that the hardware inside is a couple years old, but I don't think that would stop me. It is still the best cheap android tablet. I just wish it had more than 16GB of on board storage.

I read it can use a fairly large micro SD card, so the memory doesn't bother me. He pretty much just used his old tablet for face time and Google searches for school.

The idea that it can stream games from Steam and connect to his TV with a micro USB is the big thing for me. I'm doing online college, so him still getting to play games in his room streaming from the PC while I do schoolwork is a big selling point. I was just curious if there were any hidden pitfalls that any of you might have experienced.

He's about to turn 11 and still plays Gary's Mod and Five Nights at Freddy's. Shield seems like a good choice so far.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    While I still really like my Shield Tablet, use it basically every day, and dont regret the purchase at all, I will there are some things I find bothersome. Recently its begun to seem slow to wake from sleep and updating apps and doing basically anything is noticeably slower than just doing anything. I probably just need to factory reset, but I'm kinda lazy and it works well enough most of the time.

It also doesnt get particularly dim so browsing these forums in a dark room can be blinding (sliding the brightness adjuster from 0-25% doesnt change the brighness/dimness of the display on my tablet, dont know if others will act the same way). Also playing games off the SD card kinda sucks because initial load times are super long (and I'm using a Class 10 SD card).

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I'm also happy with my shield (k1), it does everything we need perfectly. Everything is just chrome, YouTube and hearthstone though, we don't use any of the shield specific features.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Most technology names are dumb.

Oh, absolutely.

Which makes it all the sadder when one of the few good ones gets dropped.

• Options
    Can any of you classy folks give me a legit reason not to get the Nvidia Shield Tablet? My youngest just eviscerated my oldest's Nexus 7, and I'm looking to replace it. He prefers Steam to consoles, and my PC/wireless can easily handle the Steam stream.

Anyone here have any experiences with the Shield? It's sub $200, and seems to be reviewed well.

I have the original shield model and it is fantastic. The only pause I'd have at this poitn is that the hardware inside is a couple years old, but I don't think that would stop me. It is still the best cheap android tablet. I just wish it had more than 16GB of on board storage.

I read it can use a fairly large micro SD card, so the memory doesn't bother me. He pretty much just used his old tablet for face time and Google searches for school.

The idea that it can stream games from Steam and connect to his TV with a micro USB is the big thing for me. I'm doing online college, so him still getting to play games in his room streaming from the PC while I do schoolwork is a big selling point. I was just curious if there were any hidden pitfalls that any of you might have experienced.

He's about to turn 11 and still plays Gary's Mod and Five Nights at Freddy's. Shield seems like a good choice so far.

just to correct a couple things there, it has mini-hdmi out to plug it into a TV if you so desire, it isn't through the USB connection. And game streaming still takes over the host PC where the games are. You can't have someone doing something else on the computer while games are being streamed to the tablet.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    So I couldn't do class work while he streamed games to the tablet? That seems odd.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    What are the options for buying a 5x or 6p now that the pixel is all over Google's store? EBay and in-store somewhere like best buy?

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    So that Posh Mobile Micro X S240? As someone who's willing to deal with a few drawbacks here and there, there's just not enough there for me to recommend it.

So I move on. From one of the smallest, to one of the biggest. The Xiaomi Mi Max.
    C1xEccK.jpg

That's a Z5 Compact in the middle.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    I wish the Xiaomi phones were available in the US. And worked on Verizon, of course.

• Options
    So I couldn't do class work while he streamed games to the tablet? That seems odd.

not if you think through it. all the streaming does is basically a super low latency remote desktop. the host computer still needs to do everything normally, it still needs to dedicate all the resources necessary towards displaying the game, including the display. This is how every streaming solution works, whether it be Steam in home streaming, Microsoft's solution for Xbox One, or Sony's Solution for PS4.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    What are the options for buying a 5x or 6p now that the pixel is all over Google's store? EBay and in-store somewhere like best buy?

you can allegedly still buy it through Fi, but I'm not in the US so I can't verify that.

• Options

you can allegedly still buy it through Fi, but I'm not in the US so I can't verify that.

I am also in Canada. I'll check some local stores.

• Options

not if you think through it. all the streaming does is basically a super low latency remote desktop. the host computer still needs to do everything normally, it still needs to dedicate all the resources necessary towards displaying the game, including the display. This is how every streaming solution works, whether it be Steam in home streaming, Microsoft's solution for Xbox One, or Sony's Solution for PS4.

I can still do other things on the computer while playing a game on Steam, so I figured it would work that way with him using the tablet. Joy of the second monitor and all.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2016

I can still do other things on the computer while playing a game on Steam, so I figured it would work that way with him using the tablet. Joy of the second monitor and all.

You actually cant though. You cant type a post on the forums while using the WASD keys to move around in a game...

It needs the focus unless it gets designed to run the game as a service and that is way beyond the scope of any of the streaming solutions.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Weird. Thank you for the heads up. Forum needs a thank you button.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So, about a month ago, I got in on that Super

I just ordered my 5X through Fi. It should be sitting on my porch when I get home tonight.

Note: you have to activate the SIM in order to keep the $150 price break, but there are no commitments to Fi after that point. So, essentially, you can pay $30 to get a $150 discount on the 5X. 6P discount is only $100. More info later tonight.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So, about a month ago, I got in on that Super

I just ordered my 5X through Fi. It should be sitting on my porch when I get home tonight.

Note: you have to activate the SIM in order to keep the $150 price break, but there are no commitments to Fi after that point. So, essentially, you can pay $30 to get a $150 discount on the 5X. 6P discount is only $100. More info later tonight.

you misunderstand. Fi is only available in the US. No where else even has that option.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    is that 150 discount on top of what the price is listed on the Fi website? I am shopping for a new phone.
    i love my moto x but don't like how lenovo is supporting the past products.

Tempted by the one plus 3. like the idea of the pixel but not the cost.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The 5X was $250 charged to my credit card [I'll be paying it off after I confirm the discount].

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to use a GVoice number to make a Fi account work in Canada. I'll have to check /r/projectfi and see what they say.

Otherwise, you may need to drive to some Best Buys and try to get lucky. What's potentially interesting is that if you find a place with new 5X/6P on hand, you may be able to convince the manager to give you a discount so they have more room for Pixels (hey, it's at least worth the ask).

• Options
    You can't even sign up for Fi from Canada. You have to supply a zip code to get started. As to asking a manager for a discount, haha. Good one. I'll be better off waiting until they decide to put them on sale.

I did stop at a Best Buy and saw they have a 5X for $600 which is... lots. I'll wait it out.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Is there an agreed upon best app for scheduling silent mode? Basically I want to be able to tell my phone from 10AM-7PM Mon-Fri to just be on vibrate. Just set it and forget it, all automatic. I've found a couple apps that do that, but I'm wondering if there is one particular one that you guys would recommend.

When I Googled what I needed this was the first result that popped up:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.QuiteHypnotic.SilentTime&hl=en

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    You can't even sign up for Fi from Canada. You have to supply a zip code to get started. As to asking a manager for a discount, haha. Good one. I'll be better off waiting until they decide to put them on sale.

I did stop at a Best Buy and saw they have a 5X for $600 which is... lots. I'll wait it out.

$400 in MooseBucks is.....$525? Did TMo ever sell Nexus handsets directly? I feel like there's got to be some sort of storefront site that Google is using to sell what's left of their Nexus inventory, but it's just not publicized (similar to how madeby.google.com was the storefront for Pixel before they updated store.google.com)

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

You actually cant though. You cant type a post on the forums while using the WASD keys to move around in a game...

It needs the focus unless it gets designed to run the game as a service and that is way beyond the scope of any of the streaming solutions.

in a more literal metaphor, you can't plug a second screen, keyboard, and mouse into a home computer and have two people using it independently of each other.

• Options
    Pixel reviews are hitting today, and so far they're all pretty great. The most common complaints are really the price for a Google phone, and the lack of waterproofing.

Glad I'm getting confirmation that I'm making the right choice. Have to figure out a decent case, though.

Also, anyone know who makes good tempered glass screen protectors aside from Zagg?

• Options
    Cases: I picked 3 from Amazon and I'll return the ones I don't like.

Tempered glass: I picked the one for my phone with the most reviews and 4+ stars. I'll have to dig up the manufacturer.

Also, I never knew this was a thing, but I'm happy since I'm in the market for cables again always. http://www.bensonapproved.com

• Options
    I'm not too worried about cables since we have four USB A-C cables, and four micro-C adapters that came with the Note 7s that we never had to return. :rotate:

• Options
    Apparently my G4 will be back with me tomorrow. LG estimated a two-week turnaround and that's dead-on.

I hope it works.

• Options
    My Pixel XL still hasn't shipped. Eeeep!

• Options
    Google is apparently reporting backorders. Not sure if you got your order in before they ran out of inventory.

• Options
    My order is through Best Buy, but no idea what's going on. I got a text this morning saying there was a delay and to login and check the status update, but there's nothing on the update page. :rotate:

• Options
    G4 is back, and seemingly fully functional. Now I'm just trying to get used to it again!

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    just got an email that the note 7 is banned from my campus

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    So after a couple of beers while watching the debate last night (imo the only way to get through it) I did soemthing I said I would never do, and enrolled my 6P in the Android Preview program to get 7.1.

First off the actual process to enroll was almost too easy. you litearlly go to a website, it tells you if you have an eligible device, you click that device, accept an eula, and click go. Less than 3 seconds after clicking go my phone had an update notification for the program. It's kind of amazing that it is that easy to do, but in a way... it really is too easy. I don't know if a "normal" should be able to install potentially unstable software on their phone with 3 mouse clicks, but i digress.

Android 7.1 (actually he preview build on the 6P is 7.1.1 is.... mostly the same on the 6P as 7.0. There's a new support tab in settings that I haven't tried to see if it works yet, app shortcuts (long press) for apps that support it (mostly the google apps) is pretty cool, the quicksettings pulldown is slightly different. That's kind of it in the first couple hours of using since the install.

actually no There's one other thing and it's driving me nuts. for screen rotation, up until now the on screen buttons (home/back/recents) always appeared on the right side of the phone, no matter which way you were holding it landscape. in this build they are always on the side of the phone that is physically the bottom. So if you turn the phone so the top/camera side is on the right, the on screen buttons are on the left and oh my god it's driving me bananas.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    just got an email that the note 7 is banned from my campus

If the actual manufacturer has ceased production and told everyone to give it back, I'm not surprised.

it's an actual fire hazard

This discussion has been closed.