As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] we're good buddies although we sometimes have punch-ups

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Not everything has to be about the world/dimension/universe/spacetime continuum/etc. exploding. The best superhero movies deal with human issues first, and invoke the larger consequences as a necessary result of the "super" portion, not as an a priori requirement of being a superhero in the first place.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I like the small stakes of this one. I like that its a heist movie first and a cape movie second. I adore the idea of Cold War SHIELD using guys like Antman.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    As much as I enjoyed Ant-Man, it definitely would have been interesting to see what the film would have turned out had it not been in development hell forever and not had directors moved around.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Ant-man was excellent. Better than expected. Bravo, Marvel.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I saw Ant-Man today and really enjoyed it. It was nice to see a proper solo Marvel movie again.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I felt it was at a similar quality to Iron Man, which is amazing. Very few Marvel films meet that criteria. Perhaps slightly above. They need to give Peyton Reed the Fantastic Four when they get it back.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It felt like it was a knockoff of Iron Man that definitely didn't have the humor the way Iron Man did.

Like you might go "brrr, it's cold in here, there must be some Toros in the atmosphere." And think it's just fine.

But the real truth is that it was always "brrrr, it's cold in here, there must be some Clovers in the atmosphere," and you realize it was stolen from something that came out years before.

And that ain't right. I mean, Bring It On, Ant-Man.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It felt like it was a knockoff of Iron Man that definitely didn't have the humor the way Iron Man did.

Like you might go "brrr, it's cold in here, there must be some Toros in the atmosphere." And think it's just fine.

But the real truth is that it was always "brrrr, it's cold in here, there must be some Clovers in the atmosphere," and you realize it was stolen from something that came out years before.

And that ain't right. I mean, Bring It On, Ant-Man.

It had its own humor, which was funny. It had the structure like Iron Man, while having a separation to have its identity. The Marvel formula is for many movies, Iron Man started it. And it had a superior ending. Cross was one of their better Stane clones. He's an improvement over Justin Hammer and Killian.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    That's kinda bizarre, TexiKen, because the theater I was in was cracking up all through Ant-Man. There was a massive amount of humor in the movie, and from my perspective it all worked. I find it really strange that you're calling it a knock off of Iron Man, because its really not outside of "Super Science!" and "Bald Bad Guy!"

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Cross is the worst villain in the MCU to date. Nowhere near Hammer and while I didn't like Iron Man 3 Killian wasn't the problem there, and there was at least a reason to see why he was doing what he did. And Ronan was one dimensional but he damn well owned his time on screen.

Cross is up there with the ponytal badguy from Karate Kid 3 for worst villains ever ever. He's not even the ponytail badguy from 3 Ninjas.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't see how you can say Cross was the worst badguy when that fucking elf is right there.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hammer is the worst villain in the MCU, IMO.

He is a complete failure at being threatening to Tony, or anyone really, and is more of a comic relief character than a villain. About the only thing he does is facilitate the actual villain, who basically runs roughshod all over Hammer.

Hell, his plan was the lamest ever. "Make Tony look bad." At least Stane and Killian were trying to kill Tony. Like, he broke Vanko out of prison to make his products less shitty.

Even Malakith was more viable as a villain, and that's is saying something.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I don't see how you can say Cross was the worst badguy when that fucking elf is right there.

Reigning champion.

movies-thor-the-dark-world-03.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Nah Stoll did better then Pearce easily.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited July 2015

He is a complete failure at being threatening to Tony, or anyone really, and is more of a comic relief character than a villain. About the only thing he does is facilitate the actual villain, who basically runs roughshod all over Hammer.

Hell, his plan was the lamest ever. "Make Tony look bad." At least Stane and Killian were trying to kill Tony.

Hammer was entertaining to watch, Malekith was a dull bore with no characterization.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The secret truth that is that all of the Marvel villains kind of suck.

Even Loki in a lot of ways.

If they put even half the effort they put into their heroes to the other side it'd be great.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Hell, his plan was the lamest ever. "Make Tony look bad." At least Stane and Killian were trying to kill Tony.

Hammer was entertaining to watch, Malekith was a dull bore with no characterization.

I'd say that makes him a better character, but not a better villain.

Like, again, his dastardly plan is to break out an attempted murderer and give him an engineering job.

• Options
    I'm not an elfcist.

#notallmidgardians

I give him props because at least they put makeup and stuff on him to do something, even if they used the new story telling device of "have the badguy get caught to sabotage HQ from the inside"

Like hell, if you're going to make Cross such a throwaway at least get someone who has flair to him like Evan Handler to make the guy memorable.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Cross is the worst villain in the MCU to date. Nowhere near Hammer and while I didn't like Iron Man 3 Killian wasn't the problem there, and there was at least a reason to see why he was doing what he did. And Ronan was one dimensional but he damn well owned his time on screen.

Cross is up there with the ponytal badguy from Karate Kid 3 for worst villains ever ever. He's not even the ponytail badguy from 3 Ninjas.

You have some strange tastes, my friend, because Cross wasn't bad at all.
    He was damaged, and it was played pretty damn good. His whole thing is that he has this massive inferiority complex to Hank Pym with a side of envy and abandonment issues because Hank wouldn't trust him. Everything Cross did was about proving himself to Hank, trying to finally get Hank to give him that pat on the back that he's always wanted. Its such a human motivation that it makes him work.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    The secret truth that is that all of the Marvel villains kind of suck.

Even Loki in a lot of ways.

If they put even half the effort they put into their heroes to the other side it'd be great.

Loki is awesome because they gave him room to breathe. They didn't leave him as a smear across the bifrost bridge, only to be spoken of in anecdotes later on.

Going solely on Thor 1, he was well acted... but that was about it. It's the combination of the 2 Thor movies + Avengers that really turns him into a great character who also happens to be a villain.

They haven't given any other villain time like that, and only a few have even had the groundwork to be that good anyways.

I still would have loved to see Ronan alive and able to come to terms with the whole peace accord thing and become a character with more depth.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    MCU villains, in order from worst to best:

1. Malekith
    2. Ronan
    3. Hammer
    4. Red Skull
    5. Whiplash
    6. Killian
    7. Stane
    8. Ultron
    9. The Clairvoyant
    10. Alexander Pierce
    11. Loki
    12. Ward
    13. Bucky
    14. Kingpin

Aside from a few of the better ones, the MCU is basically a trash repository for villains.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    That's kinda bizarre, TexiKen, because the theater I was in was cracking up all through Ant-Man. There was a massive amount of humor in the movie, and from my perspective it all worked. I find it really strange that you're calling it a knock off of Iron Man, because its really not outside of "Super Science!" and "Bald Bad Guy!"

The theater I was in was laughing, but it was more at the training stuff and the hijinks with the heist and the third act, but that whole Baskin Robbins thing was an Adam Sandler product placement dud with an audible groan being heard from the crowd, the initial robbery of the suit had nothing, and everything with the family in the beginning got no response. Humor's subjective and there was more I didn't care for, but that was what I noticed with general audience. I know I might not find something funny that others might but unlike GOTG which knew the right beats to play with, and the comedic talent here, it never felt that way. So I'm hoping beyond hope now that Deadpool really delivers next February.

This is where I think it becomes similar to Iron Man, spoilers below for both movies because I don't want to spoil Iron Man a wasp sting zing

It's an Iron Man knockoff because the whole change to be better was handled better by Tony, the quasi mentor was still there only much longer with Pym who was also a stand-in for Howard from IM2, Pym Particles is treated just like the Arc Reactor for a long time in the movie, Hope was basically Pepper who knew kung-fu, Cross was a bad villain who couldn't even be interesting before the villain reveal like Jeff Bridges was, Hydra and evil SHIELD guy were like throw away Ten Rings people, the building of the Mark 2 was similar to Lang being the Mark 2 of Ant-Man with the training montage, the cops showing up came across more like when the Air Force was attacking Iron Man and a temporary conflict between good guys, and the final fight hit the same beats IM 1 did in that it takes place in a civilian area before going someplace "safer" and then you have a callback to something pointed out earlier, on top of the love saves the day thing which even Iron Man had to a less obvious extent.

Even Michael Pena's character was like a Happy, Jarvis, and then Coulson stand-in when needed.

I'm more than sure you can pick apart how I epic failed that stuff, which is fine, I will be like Cyclops and be a martyr, but Iron Man was different from Thor which was different from Cap. Thor, as I write thinking about it, was more of a better attempt at the Hulk's movie actually.

But everything Ant-Man attempted to do, Iron Man did it better years before, and never carved out the place for itself I expected it to do given that everyone knew it had to try and find it's own place out in the MCU. If it meant the movie would have been delayed to October or November, that's fine with me, another script pass by Reed and McKay would have done something better I believe.

Again, like I wrote in the Ant-Man thread, the movie is fine, it was competently told, but I can't ignore Iron Man's existence when all this movie kept doing was reminding me of Iron Man. RC Cola is fine, I will drink it and not have a problem with it, but you put it next to Dr. Pepper and I'm taking the Pepper Potts every time. Unless it's Diet Dr. Pepper which is like Iron Man 3 and I'm like no thanks, I'd rather have RC Cola then. But if there's Dr. Pepper 10 which is like Iron Man 2 I'd rather have that.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    MCU villains, in order from worst to best:

1. Malekith
    2. Ronan
    3. Hammer
    4. Red Skull
    5. Whiplash
    6. Killian
    7. Stane
    8. Ultron
    9. The Clairvoyant
    10. Alexander Pierce
    11. Loki
    12. Ward
    13. Bucky
    14. Kingpin

Aside from a few of the better ones, the MCU is basically a trash repository for villains.

God, even Pierce, who you knew from the beginning was the bad guy, he had something more to him than Cross.

And there should be maybe five spaces between Kingpin and everyone else, but that's the benefit of a TV show villain.

edit: and this is why I'm worried about Zemo because he's #6 on the best Marvel characters ever list but I can see how one-dimensional and crap they will make him just to move the plot along for the superhero slap fight.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Blonsky was a pretty good villain. Although he did become kind of a generic bad guy when he turned into Abomination. But they can do a lot with him if they brought him back.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Blonsky was a pretty good villain. Although he did become kind of a generic bad guy when he turned into Abomination. But they can do a lot with him if they brought him back.

Yeah.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Rocket Raccoon's whole existence is based on Bill Mantlo hearing the Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon" and thinking it would be funny to put a character named that into a comic.

This is a huge image, so I'm linking instead of spoilering: http://imgur.com/gallery/ik7ZN

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Reigning champion.

latest?cb=20140309045018

Because you have to think hard to remember that he's the one behind Killian and who got him contracts, test subjects, and money.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Reigning champion.

latest?cb=20140309045018

Because you have to think hard to remember that he's the one behind Killian and who got him contracts, test subjects, and money.

Not necessarily. They showed that his daughter was missing a leg, which could mean that Killian got his help in exchange for the promise of a stable Extremis to restore his daughter's leg.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Reigning champion.

latest?cb=20140309045018

Not necessarily. They showed that his daughter was missing a leg, which could mean that Killian got his help in exchange for the promise of a stable Extremis to restore his daughter's leg.

That was my impression as well.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Saw Ant-Man, liked it. Don't know where I'd rank it in the MCU, but it wouldn't be on the bottom.
    Cross didn't have too much to do as a villain other than be a villain, but that was okay, I didn't feel like he needed that much expansion.
    What bothered me more was:
    Bringing Hydra in as the buyers. Leaving aside that they're supposedly all but gone besides whatever Ward's managed to scrape back together (and we don't know exactly when this happens/how much he's done, so I'll let that slide), it throws any nuance out the window.
    If Cross was selling to the military (US or otherwise), you could at least present it in his head as selling to a legitimate authority. But no, he goes for the cartoon villains, just to underline that he's evil, in case anyone was still in doubt about that.
    (Maybe this could be a setup for Hydra using Pym Particles laer on, since someone got out with some? I'd like it if they showed up on AoS in some form.)
    And then Hope said that the Pym Particles were messing with his head? It helps to establish why he has such a breakdown when things go wrong for him (shooting everyone else in your helicopter might not be the most rational idea), but did that get established earlier, and I missed it? I may have.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Saw Ant-Man, liked it. Don't know where I'd rank it in the MCU, but it wouldn't be on the bottom.
    Cross didn't have too much to do as a villain other than be a villain, but that was okay, I didn't feel like he needed that much expansion.
    What bothered me more was:
    Bringing Hydra in as the buyers. Leaving aside that they're supposedly all but gone besides whatever Ward's managed to scrape back together (and we don't know exactly when this happens/how much he's done, so I'll let that slide), it throws any nuance out the window.
    If Cross was selling to the military (US or otherwise), you could at least present it in his head as selling to a legitimate authority. But no, he goes for the cartoon villains, just to underline that he's evil, in case anyone was still in doubt about that.
    (Maybe this could be a setup for Hydra using Pym Particles laer on, since someone got out with some? I'd like it if they showed up on AoS in some form.)
    And then Hope said that the Pym Particles were messing with his head? It helps to establish why he has such a breakdown when things go wrong for him (shooting everyone else in your helicopter might not be the most rational idea), but did that get established earlier, and I missed it? I may have.
    Hank made several references to not being able to use the suit again since it does something to your mind with continued exposure, and he'd worn the suit for years.

However, Cross hadn't worn the suit at all. If it's exposure from proximity than exposure to the particles themselves, well, Hanks still exposing himself anyway through the movie.

The Pym Particle 'science' is just handwaived aside for whatever suit the story. Other examples - shrunk objects are denser, so enlarged objects should be less dense, thus, weaker. This isn't the case when the Thomas the Tank Engine crashes through the house. Also weight - Antman shouldn't be any less heavy, just smaller and denser, but he runs across people and their belongings as if he weighted as much as an ant. The tank keyring should have weighed as much as an actual tank.

The movie was fantastic, the Pym Particle explanations were not. But they didn't really need to be.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    the falcon fight was good but i couldn't help but think that maybe they were going to originally have ant-man fight ironman

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    the falcon fight was good but i couldn't help but think that maybe they were going to originally have ant-man fight ironman
    Probably, since I think this started out as a Phase 1 movie, so Falcon wouldn't have been introduced yet. But if they just wanted an Iron-Man replacement who hadn't retired (or whatever Tony's doing at the moment), they could have gone with War Machine.
    It makes a decent amount of sense for it to be Falcon, through. If he's flying at high altitudes, it's reasonable that he'd have some way of making out detail on the ground. That kind of magnification would help him to spot Ant-Man. Same thing for Iron Man/War Machine I guess, but he's been shown to have difficulty getting into well-sealed suits, so having someone with an exposed face to punch is a little more fair.
    Scott's just lucky it wasn't the Vision. Or Scarlet Witch.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

I'd say that makes him a better character, but not a better villain.

Like, again, his dastardly plan is to break out an attempted murderer and give him an engineering job.

hey, there's nothing more American than giving murders cushy jobs.
    Murder enough, and you can be the head of NASA.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Ant Man is probably going to be more of a Hulk type character. He may not necessarily get more movies, but he'll show up.

Still though, Ant Man isn't really going to flop by any means. I think Marvel was expecting a modest success anyway.

edzepp on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    58 Million domestic for Ant Man. #1 at the box office, though barely beating out Incredible Hulk's opener ($55M). Word of mouth might give it some decent staying power, and international puts it somewhere north of $110M so it's doing fine.

• Options

Reigning champion.

latest?cb=20140309045018

And that makes him less of a villain how?

• Options
    Probably, since I think this started out as a Phase 1 movie, so Falcon wouldn't have been introduced yet. But if they just wanted an Iron-Man replacement who hadn't retired (or whatever Tony's doing at the moment), they could have gone with War Machine.
    It makes a decent amount of sense for it to be Falcon, through. If he's flying at high altitudes, it's reasonable that he'd have some way of making out detail on the ground. That kind of magnification would help him to spot Ant-Man. Same thing for Iron Man/War Machine I guess, but he's been shown to have difficulty getting into well-sealed suits, so having someone with an exposed face to punch is a little more fair.
    That entire fight was made specifically for Sam to face off against Scott. The producers saw Winter Soldier and said, "okay, we have to add Falcon in somehow".

• Options

Reigning champion.

latest?cb=20140309045018

And that makes him less of a villain how?

It makes him not the guy behind Killian.

• Options
    That entire fight was made specifically for Sam to face off against Scott. The producers saw Winter Soldier and said, "okay, we have to add Falcon in somehow".
    Which paid off handsomely.

This discussion has been closed.