As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] we're good buddies although we sometimes have punch-ups

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    That drawing of She-Hulk is terrible.

You know, if I saw it free of context, I'd assume it was Gamora.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I never knew anything about She Hulk until Marvel vs Capcom 3. This was my introduction to her.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_iprRcjQVA

Even though it's a fighting game trailer for her, her personality came across pretty clear and I loved her immediately.

Her winning quote against Deadpool is "If this game had come out in 1994 I'd be the one hitting you with the health bars."

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    That drawing of She-Hulk is terrible.

You know, if I saw it free of context, I'd assume it was Gamora.
    Funny you say that because that was the topic of a recent Guardians of the Galaxy Team Up comic.
    img]

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Nocren wrote: »
    So just got back from seeing Ultron in 3D this time. Movie was about the same, but I think that there can be a strong argument to see Ant Man in 3D after seeing the trailer this time.
    The size differences seem to work extremely well in that format.

Since this was bottom'd last page, I think it deserves more discussion. When I saw AoU last night (total of 8 people, 7 of which hadn't seen it yet), when this trailer came up it was pretty damn good to see in 3D. Maybe because it's effects heavy with the size shifting but the 3D seemed to work really well in the trailer, especially the shift before the train fight where the camera follows through the after-images of Lang as he shrinks down.

This might be the second movie I intentionally go see in 3D (first was Tron because I'm a fan and I liked the Wizard of Oz-esqe idea they had for its use in that movie).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Terrible picture. How do I know it's not just a picture of the script for GOTG 1?

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Nah, it doesn't have Nicole Perlman's name crossed out.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Chris Pratt says the GOTG2 pitch made him cry like a LITTLE GIRLY MAN.

Also, I guess Marvel didn't have a single note to give Gunn about the script.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Probably has father/son emotional beats. Or it has Cosmo in it and then he dies, which is just......no, no Marvel.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

It's just the opening of the GotG1 and the opening of Up played in a loop for three hours.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

It's just the opening of the GotG1 and the opening of Up played in a loop for three hours.

That would make me Sad Max.....

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

"I'm never sad! Violent, sure...but not sad!"

sam_and_max2_01.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

It has begun...

WITNESSED!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »

It has begun...

WITNESSED!

I warned everyone i was going to do it.....

also, this silver stuff has a funny taste....

Ninjeff on
  • Options
    Good.

I would have loved Statham as Bullseye but I also really like this super decisive Fuck You retribution to everyone who can't let simple meetings go without taking photos or DMing someone to stir the pot of clickbait.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Latino Review posts potential bullshit.

Another random site then claims the "leak" killed the casting choice with just as little evidence (none).

Until I see something other than spurious claims this is all just clickbait.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Statham was supposed to be in the Iron Man suit at the end of GOTG with Spider-Man and Captain Marvel.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Statham was supposed to be in the Iron Man suit at the end of GOTG with Spider-Man and Captain Marvel.

My inside sources told me this is all a smokescreen and he's actually slated to play Vladimir in a Secret Avengers flick. Apparently this is the most physically taxing role of his career.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Statham is actually going to be Galactus in a deal with Fox to integrate the Fantastic 4 & X-men into the MCU with Spiderman.

They're back ladies and gentlemen! We did it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    UPDATED @ 8:46 AM PT: Marvel Television has debunked the rumor that Jason Statham is in talks to join the cast of Daredevil," telling CBR News there is "no truth to it at all."

Take that was you will: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/rumor-jason-statham-targeted-to-play-daredevils-bullseye

• Options
    edited June 2015
    UPDATED @ 8:46 AM PT: Marvel Television has debunked the rumor that Jason Statham is in talks to join the cast of Daredevil," telling CBR News there is "no truth to it at all."

Take that was you will: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/rumor-jason-statham-targeted-to-play-daredevils-bullseye

Website A posts a leak/rumor
    Website B posts an update to the leak/rumor
    Website C says it was all bullshit

mjuv6.jpg

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    You guys really don't consider the X-Men / Wolverine movies to be Marvel Universe just because a different studio made those movies / holds the movie rights?

Huh, alrighty then.
    ...because they're not in the same movie universe? "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is the name Disney/Marvel uses for their shared franchise films, it's not something we made up.

Oh! That's what the C stands for, I thought that was for Comics! LOL

I don't quite understand how they could be in the same comic universe, even. Doesn't having other people with superpowers running around without everyone hating them kind of break the thematic premise of the X-Men?

In a way, having the movie rights split up like they are is a preemptive bullet dodge.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    jothki wrote: »
    You guys really don't consider the X-Men / Wolverine movies to be Marvel Universe just because a different studio made those movies / holds the movie rights?

Huh, alrighty then.
    ...because they're not in the same movie universe? "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is the name Disney/Marvel uses for their shared franchise films, it's not something we made up.

I don't quite understand how they could be in the same comic universe, even. Doesn't having other people with superpowers running around without everyone hating them kind of break the thematic premise of the X-Men?

In a way, having the movie rights split up like they are is a preemptive bullet dodge.

Nah, it works fine.

Mutants are a random unknown factor that can absolutely breed with your family, possibly without you knowing before it's too late, and in doing so will slowly lead non-mutant humanity toward extinction.

Super Science/Magic characters can be limited by limiting access to the technology/magic.
    Aliens are a different species and generally have their own planets or cannot breed with humans anyway.

Mutants arise spontaneously from your own population and basically use up your genetic resources.

Granted, humans should be freaking out trying to figure out what the hell is causing mutation rather than focusing on just what are essentially the victims of mutation.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Granted, humans should be freaking out trying to figure out what the hell is causing mutation rather than focusing on just what are essentially the victims of mutation.

The x-gene?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Huh, alrighty then.

They're viewed as a secret potential source of danger by people. That's also the premise behind civil war, like that whole status quo for a while was about someone deciding that just including mutants in the mutant registration laws wasn't enough and crossing out "mutant" to write "superhero" instead.

Mostly, Marvel has played off of the "wears a costume, must be a hero" thing a lot*, so people are generally okay with some heroes because they're obvious**. However, mutants don't wear a costume unless they're X-men. Humans being typically xenophobic about any perceived outside threat react pretty harshly. The fact that people in the universe treat one group differently than another isn't an example of an inconsistency, that's simply how racism works.

*most notably with Mar-Vell, who people just assumed was a new hero and not just a Kree wearing his normal uniform

**Spider-man and Daredevil being the general exceptions to that rule.

• Options

The x-gene?

Yes, but why is the x-gene suddenly so prominent and what are its origins and how do you manage and control it and etc.

It's some sort of super-science thing happening at random which has potentially solar system-ending consequences.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    They actually do reveal all that in the comics - it would be pretty wild if they started to get into it in the comics. We sort've got a bit of that in GotG.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Huh, alrighty then.

It totally is.

The two metaphors do not work together at all.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

The x-gene?

Yes, but why is the x-gene suddenly so prominent and what are its origins and how do you manage and control it and etc.

It's some sort of super-science thing happening at random which has potentially solar system-ending consequences.

To be fair, the comics twenty years ago didn't have anywhere near the propensity to make an absurd number of mutants have a potentially world-ending level of power. Then the scope of things grew wildly out of control across a zillion different writers trying to play up everybody's favorite characters, but nobody can stay killed off. Then everybody got to be an omega-level mutant, and then everybody died or got depowered, and yada yada yada.

But when you've got a continuity that runs in circles for decades and permanent changes are almost never allowed, how else do you ratchet up the stakes but by making everything be about ending the world? It just wasn't something that the originators of the idea could have anticipated; for them, the X-gene was a tool for a sort of "it could happen to anyone" show of why things like prejudice are so arbitrary and stupid.

• Options
    The beauty of the Mutant-based stuff is that the fears are valid ones, and there's a huge amount of gray area. Magneto, Cyclops, and Xavier are all super dangerous day one. Iceman, Marvel Girl, Angel, and Beast are all potentially really amazing assassins or saboteurs day one.

The bigotry is still horrible, but it's not *completely* unjustified, and that makes for so much more compelling stories.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Huh, alrighty then.

Nah, it works fine.

Mutants are a random unknown factor that can absolutely breed with your family, possibly without you knowing before it's too late, and in doing so will slowly lead non-mutant humanity toward extinction.

Super Science/Magic characters can be limited by limiting access to the technology/magic.
    Aliens are a different species and generally have their own planets or cannot breed with humans anyway.

Mutants arise spontaneously from your own population and basically use up your genetic resources.

Why would anyone not think Spider-man was a mutant? Or an Inhuman? Any super-hero who isn't up front about their origins, or isn't believed, would be open to be called a mutant. And that's not going into why Cap, and other Avengers, wouldn't step right in to defend mutant rights. It'd effect everything and everyone, and it's have a remarkably different tone the MCU has now.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Huh, alrighty then.

They're viewed as a secret potential source of danger by people. That's also the premise behind civil war, like that whole status quo for a while was about someone deciding that just including mutants in the mutant registration laws wasn't enough and crossing out "mutant" to write "superhero" instead.

Mostly, Marvel has played off of the "wears a costume, must be a hero" thing a lot*, so people are generally okay with some heroes because they're obvious**. However, mutants don't wear a costume unless they're X-men. Humans being typically xenophobic about any perceived outside threat react pretty harshly. The fact that people in the universe treat one group differently than another isn't an example of an inconsistency, that's simply how racism works.

*most notably with Mar-Vell, who people just assumed was a new hero and not just a Kree wearing his normal uniform

It tends to happen when mutant psychopaths and genocidal lunatics do that under their mutant cause.

250px-Brotherhoodmute.jpg

Their leader? Reversed the Earths magnetic field. Twice. With horrifying consequences on a global scale.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The problem is that they tend to retread the same stories over and over again. They've done the fanatical mutant haters trying to commit genocide on mutants so many times that mutant haters who saw the errors of their ways and were redeem have gone evil again.

It would be nice if they did more stories about the other effects mutants could have on society, like having corporations and governments wanting to use mutants for political, scientific, military, economic, etc. purposes. Have a Weapon X type program that actually worked and is used by governments as special military or espionage forces. Have corporations hire mutants to use their powers to make money. Have different countries treat mutants differently. Maybe in the US, people are afraid of mutants and persecute them but in China, they're willing to pay mutants lots of money and treat them like royalty so they'd work for the government and businesses and use their powers to benefit the entire society.

• Options
    I agree with the mutant fear being justified, it's just the same thing has been hammered home to a point of stupidity. You can do the religious fanatic believing mutants are the devil storyline in the 80's, it works there just fine. You try and retell it again in 2010? With the same 80's type preachers as opposed to even doing a different religion or angle to it? It's dated and dull and lazy.

(And Cyclops isn't dangerous he's the best he saves everyone because he's always right he's three Iron Mans put together)

• Options
    edited June 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I agree with the mutant fear being justified, it's just the same thing has been hammered home to a point of stupidity. You can do the religious fanatic believing mutants are the devil storyline in the 80's, it works there just fine. You try and retell it again in 2010? With the same 80's type preachers as opposed to even doing a different religion or angle to it? It's dated and dull and lazy.

There are various ways to do that - you don't need preachers to do this. Fox's movies didn't, Stryker was a preacher in the comics - in the movies he's switched to a general. There are various valid and irrational reasons why people would fear mutants and the Brotherhood of Mutants existence alone is enough to make rational people pee their shorts when they're in the same state. Magneto is a mid-tier mutant shitlord. That's not even going into dangerous mutants like Mr. Sinister or Apocalypse.
    (And Cyclops isn't dangerous he's the best he saves everyone because he's always right he's three Iron Mans put together)

I see you haven't read the recent comics where he's on Magneto's side now and almost destroyed the world with the Pheonix to revitalize the mutant gene.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DropbearDropbear Registered User regular
    It certainly doesn't help that mutants call themselves "Homo Superior", openly state that they are the next step in evolution and that Homo Sapiens are now "obsolete". Not really a wonder why people might dislike them.

• Options

The x-gene?

Yes, but why is the x-gene suddenly so prominent and what are its origins

They used to go with the concept of the atomic age triggering the modern rash of mutations, but really, it's a mutation. By definition it's a random occurrence caused by damage to DNA. That's what mutation is.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Huh, alrighty then.

It tends to happen when mutant psychopaths and genocidal lunatics do that under their mutant cause.

250px-Brotherhoodmute.jpg

Their leader? Reversed the Earths magnetic field. Twice. With horrifying consequences on a global scale.

Yeah, that's a reason to hate those specific mutants, not to hate all mutants. The regularly rehashed story was about mobs attacking people whose only mutation was a physical deformity, and then they went and made them into an entire mutant underground society that has to live away from people because they're the first targets when one other mutant does something wrong.

• Options

The x-gene?

Yes, but why is the x-gene suddenly so prominent and what are its origins

They used to go with the concept of the atomic age triggering the modern rash of mutations, but really, it's a mutation. By definition it's a random occurrence caused by damage to DNA. That's what mutation is.

Technically it all comes down to "Celestials" which is more or less the "Wizard did it" of Marvel.

Also the X-genes were made by a guy named "The Prober" so lets just understand that it's celestials all the way down and leave it at that.

This discussion has been closed.