As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat], Second of His Name

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    being a cleric in a D&D world must be really annoying

"STICKS TO SNAKES!!!"

https://youtu.be/RDfOz_oKnF4

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    "please don't forget to agree and awesome my posts!" is as annoying as "Don't forget to like and subscribe!"

But SOTAR, don't you want a [chat] thread dedicated to sports, or rockets, or the Languedoc region of France?

all of those things are cool!

The person who should really get a thread is me, though, because I've never gotten one and I also know about cool things

That's a good point.

I've had my [chat] thread fun, anyway - baseball and NWA are basically the most important things I had to share with you guys.

I know that sound self-deprecating, but it's not - those things are really important.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    "please don't forget to agree and awesome my posts!" is as annoying as "Don't forget to like and subscribe!"

But SOTAR, don't you want a [chat] thread dedicated to sports, or rockets, or the Languedoc region of France?

The person who should really get a thread is me, though, because I've never gotten one and I also know about cool things

*sings Phil Collins*

• Options

*sings Phil Collins*

Wait what does Tarzan have to do with any of this

Oh god now that song is stuck in my head

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

*sings Phil Collins*

Wait what does Tarzan have to do with any of this

Oh god now that song is stuck in my head

I fucking love that movie and also Phil Collins

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Oh man it feels so good to wake up and realize you are no longer living in a shithole.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    http://360gigapixels.com/tokyo-tower-panorama-photo/ if you want big, have a 600000 pixel wide image.
    Abhdy I feel like I could enjoy a fair few watersports in that small body of water in the foreground

It is reminiscent of the little inlet I learned to sail in

not so great for sailing, the wind isn't great there

but basically having a boat is a very good idea here. The weather is even nice sometimes.

I know a guy who is busy trying to buy a boat and get it sailed over here, he's planning on living it. I really hope things go according to plans and he doesn't get caught in a hurricane again, because I want to go sailiiiing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Living in a shithole just saps your will to do anything. Now I feel like actually doing things.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    I always looked at D&D hit points like "Hollywood" damage. Sure, your lip might be bleeding - you might have a black eye. You might even go "ow" when someone slaps you in the back after a fight... But nothing is actually broken. You just keep trucking along, action hero style, until you hit 0 or lower.

That was how Star Wars d20 outright stated they handled it.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I always looked at D&D hit points like "Hollywood" damage. Sure, your lip might be bleeding - you might have a black eye. You might even go "ow" when someone slaps you in the back after a fight... But nothing is actually broken. You just keep trucking along, action hero style, until you hit 0 or lower.

That was how Star Wars d20 outright stated they handled it.

They had a totally second pool called vitality points if I remember correctly.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Going west from Bergen there's this, which makes for a nice place to just sail around a little

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Lyderhorn_view_towards_west.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    That highway exchange looks straight out of cities skylines.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I always saw hp not as your actual health but your luck and armor pool.

You still die to the sword in the chest but that happens when you get to 0. Till then your armor and shield or just luck is deflecting most of the wounds to non-lethal non debilitating wounds.

Most people lose the ability to fight when they take an arrow to the leg or arm as much as one to the chest. Pain can be crippling.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Excessive realism is rarely a good thing in games.

"Your arm is broken, rest for 6 weeks"

woo

fun

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Socrates was apparently a hoplite of substantial distinction in battle, so that may be something worth bearing in mind if you want go toe-to-toe without the benefits of modern technology

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    That highway exchange looks straight out of cities skylines.

The new tunnel system is so nice. I could build really clean easy on and off ramps again finally.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This sunburn is... fierce

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Since the main navy base is around here you also get the excitement of having missile torpedo boats going all over at 30 knots with garbage bags taped over the windows while you're quietly sailing

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    This sunburn is... fierce

Get some aloe vera.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Since the main navy base is around here you also get the excitement of having missile torpedo boats going all over at 30 knots with garbage bags taped over the windows while you're quietly sailing

That all sounds vaguely unsafe

Especially once you get to the garbage bag part

• Options
    I can't imagine what life is like in a town of that small size and geographic isolation

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    All of your limbs are crippled and you have a severe concussion all while on the edge of death. Sleep for one hour in a sleeping bag.

• Options
    I don't mean in a pejorative way, I mean I draw a blank when trying to imagine

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    or 60 knots, if it's the Skjold class.

The reason the garbage bags are on the windows is to practice going at night without hitting land, fishermen, etc. So nobody gets to see outside.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Damn it Rand Paul quit doing stuff that makes me not despise you.
    “Let me be clear: I acknowledge the need for a robust intelligence agency and for a vigilant national security. I believe we must fight terrorism, and I believe we must stand strong against our enemies,” Paul said in a statement. “But we do not need to give up who we are to defeat them. In fact, we must not. There has to be another way. We must find it together. So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program.”

Okay maybe not. Fight this one till you burst into flames. This is a good hill to die on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    I can't imagine what life is like in a town of that small size and geographic isolation

I run into people I know a lot

streets are never singapore crowded

main difference, really

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    “Let me be clear: I acknowledge the need for a robust intelligence agency and for a vigilant national security. I believe we must fight terrorism, and I believe we must stand strong against our enemies,” Paul said in a statement. “But we do not need to give up who we are to defeat them. In fact, we must not. There has to be another way. We must find it together. So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program.”

Okay maybe not. Fight this one till you burst into flames. This is a good hill to die on.

I mean he says this here

And then does the exact opposite when he's in office

He's a shitking

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    and well, driving to any other city is going to take time and involve at least a dozen tunnels

undersea tunnels and ferries if it's to the north or south, eastward it involves prudence being bringing a shovel, clothes and extra food, for most of the year.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I mean he says this here

And then does the exact opposite when he's in office

He's a shitking

He is.

And he will never be in the Oval Office thank god.

But right now he is sticking to his guns and fucking over the GOP Hawks and preventing an extension of the Patriot Act.

Looks like the Freedom Act will be what is passed. Still not the biggest fan but better than the current system and does give some oversight where now there is none.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Excessive realism is rarely a good thing in games.

"Your arm is broken, rest for 6 weeks"

woo

fun
    It's all just abstractions anyway. You can have fun and exciting things happen with different levels of granularity in the damage systems. Depends on what sort of storytelling you want. There's something visceral of knowing exactly when and where you are hitting someone in combat. One Roll Engine has hit locations (but resolves WAY faster than Dungeons and Dragons... like, an order of magnitude faster) and timing-specific dice resolution, so you can have things like a PC getting his leg cut out from under him and collapsing, almost dying to a golem overhead swinging an axe, bringing it down on his torso, but saved at the last second by the dwarf grandma with the hammer, decapitating the golem and wrecking it. It's a great system, used in my favorite Supers RPG, Godlike. And my favorite "Let's Play Monsters Under the Bed" RPG, Monsters and Other Childish Things. It works better with gritty games, I feel, but you can easily tune up/down the lethality for your games. It's the only hit-location based combat system I'll play that isn't Battletech/Mechwarrior (and I really only play that because NOSTALGIA).

Injuries, I feel, present obstacles and additional conflict to overcome for the PCs. It adds tension to situations, and that can be a good thing for storytelling.

FATE and X World games go in the opposite direction and further abstract injury, and you still have great games that better match the storytelling of a TV show or movie (since injuries are more of plot points than they are "Game Over" credits).

I'm not a big fan of hit point systems, especially when they are presented as a sliding scale with levels. But it's probably the easiest abstraction of health/fighting fitness for the average gamer to wrap their heads around, and for some games, the further in the background the mechanic is, the better.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I have a question

How did you guys carve out more than one tunnel without your nation going permanently bankrupt?

I ask because we're trying to expand our subway system up here and it's basically the hardest thing that's ever been asked of anyone, apparently.

Edit: I probably can't use "up here" as a descriptor of my location when talking to a Norwegian. Ignoring the greater problem that we live on a sphere and that the reality of the concept of "up" is really very complicated.

• Options
    I have a question

How did you guys carve out more than one tunnel without your nation going permanently bankrupt?

I ask because we're trying to expand our subway system up here and it's basically the hardest thing that's ever been asked of anyone, apparently.

Edit: I probably can't use "up here" as a descriptor of my location when talking to a Norwegian. Ignoring the greater problem that we live on a sphere and that the reality of the concept of "up" is really very complicated.

I dunno, we just, like, dig em. From any little place to any other tiny place.

The deepest underwater tunnel in the world is the Eiksund tunnel, connecting

1024px-Vartdal.jpg
    Ørsta, pop. 10,456

to

131137_thumb.jpg?1431408070
    Ulstein, pop 6,033

and then both are connected with a bridge to the mainland. We're just used to that. Laying down asphalt is a very small part of building roads here.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    also, you're a southerner :P

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have a question

As a city that is riddled with tunnels (and new ones currently being dug right now, like the T line) its just a brutally expensive and lengthy process, especially if there are structures above the area the tunnel is being dug below.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I have a question

You could be on the moon. I would imagine digging a tunnel there would be costly.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    It's just that, in Canada, when we hit our mountains, we just looked at them for a looooong time and thought "Okay ... okay, try to build a road over them, I guess? Or swerve perilously between them?

Does anyone really need to live past this point, though? Maybe we should just stop here."

This has been a brief history of Calgary.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Our DM is going to try to introduce a "called shot" system where you can designate areas to aim for

me being the classy guy that I am, instantly blurted out "I'm gonna aim for the nuts every time"

• Options
    It does make for some pretty nice driving. I mean, not the tunnels. But the winding up and down mountains and the inlets and fjord and the bridges.

I like the ferries, too. Ferryless connection is a longterm goal here but like, yeah, you cut down travel time by an hour, but it's gonna feel longer

the ferry rides break up the monotomy of sitting in the bus. I get out, stretch my legs, have a smoke, then I'm on the ferry and not on the bus. Also, buy coffee and a hangover curing plate of komler or meatballs.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.