As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The LGBT Thread! Marriage is Equal, Now for Basically Everything Else

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited July 2015
    They mostly involve the alamo

Whippy on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

what was that again? i forget

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

Some good eats here too.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I don't know how child services work in the U.S., but over here it's pretty unlikely they will remove your kids if you are getting treatment for something that may be compromising your ability to parent. Like, I do know of cases where kids may be removed because parents REFUSED to get treatment for their issues, but seldom the inverse.

That's meant to be a degree of reassurance rather than a guarantee of anything, of course. The system is formed and run by people after all, and it sounds like some people in that system absolutely suck.

It does sound like it's worth talking to a local expert in these matters.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular

eh

good eats though
    mostly chilled out place
    I'd say it's especially a good place if you're lookin to raise a family
    or in the medical field

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    My experience as a southern-passing, white, and mostly cis guy is that it's not so bad.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Apparently this clip is not actually supportive of LBGT rights.
    That clip was posted without our knowledge by someone who was in attendance and gives absolutely no context concerning the overall message. Since that time enumerable media outlets have posted the clip with captions best suited for their journalistic and editorial priorities. It's important to know that the descriptions of the posted sermon clip are not the opinions of E. Dewey Smith Jr. By no means is Smith now, nor has he ever been a proponent of same-sex marriage. Smith has always believed and taught that marriage is only designed for a man and a woman. This reality was clearly stated during the sermon but not included for some reason by the person who posted the clip. Smith believes that same-sex marriage isn't the Will of God. Many publications have tried to present the message as affirmation of equal rights for the LGBT community. Regardless of how the clip is 'bent' that was not the content nor intent of the message.
    I can't tell if this is stating the truth or if they're just backtracking. Probably a little bit of both.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    That doesn't seem to add up at all

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah bending the clip by... showing exactly what he said

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    It adds up fine as a hate the sin not the sinner thing

Basically "look I don't buy gay marriage either but let's back the heck off guys" which... okay I guess

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    link to where that quote comes up?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Knob wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »
    if a social situation makes you feel like a hostage

well then I would yippee ki yay the hell outta there

It ain't so much a social situation as it is cerrain parts of my family foreshadowing that if I do things like get counseling or take meds or do 'deviant' stuff it'll confirm suspicions that I am sick and dangerous and they'll go through extreme lengths to make sure I lose my children.

Where do you live? I can offer an extreme amount of insight into child welfare if you ever want to PM me about it. Most of it is localized to Louisiana, but large swaths of it are able to be generalized. Short version is they would not be able to do it without the biological mother becoming involved.

Edit: For reference I worked at child protection for a time. I was an investigator so it was literally my job to determine who did or didn't keep their children. Its something that takes a lot of work and specific criterion determined in part by federal standards. Even here in Louisiana though no gender or sexual identity could cost you custody. The judges would just laugh at you and deny the request.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Conversely, there are pockets of safe places in the south. I hear Austin is pretty nice.
    Charleston is nice (Make sure you like seafood, though.), Charlotte's alright, Wilmington is nice (If kind of expensive.), Raleigh's fine, most of northern Virginia is pretty progressive thanks the influence of D.C, etc.

If you're ever looking for places to live and want to find progressive places, good rules of thumbs are large population centers, places that heavily rely on tourism, and places that have large public universities.

Gundi on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    this entire conversation is giving me weird flashes of Canadian privilege

like this is shit I've never had to worry about in my life

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    There have to be some conservative backwaters in Canada, right? Do they all just move here or something?

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    There have to be some conservative backwaters in Canada, right? Do they all just move here or something?

sure there are

just none of the parts of Canada I've ever lived in

and even the Canadian version of "conservative backwater" is super mild by comparison

it's still shitty and people who live in Armpit, Alberta have it rough

but not nearly as rough as Drag You Behind A Truck, Alabama

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Alberta.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Al...

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I lived in Edmonton for the first 13 years of my life.

I don't know if it was actually bad though, left too early to determine the level of toxicity there

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Alberta.

That's not as true as it used to be

Alberta has a stereotype of being "Canada's Texas", but the thing is Edmonton is a pretty solidly progressive city and it's been shifting left really solidly for a while now

in a provincial election a few months back, the NDP (our left wing party) actually won and are now the ruling party there, which was considered a pretty big deal

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I think that is actually the name of a town in Alberta, But it has been awhile since I lived in Alberta so I could be wrong.

• Options
    The thing to keep in mind is Canada's entire political and social spectrum is to the left (to the left, to the left) of the States.

Our left is more left than your left, and our right is to the left of your left sometimes.

So when you say "well Canada has conservative backwater hellholes, surely", well, of course it does.

Everywhere has rednecks. Everywhere.

But it's not the same, and when Canadians pretend like it is, that's privilege. They don't realize how good they have it. When Canadians pretend like Harper is literally indistinguishable from a Republican they are out of their minds. He's bad, he's intolerable, he's not something we should put up with and the kind of shenanigans his government pulls are absolutely things we need to fight and get mad about. But a lot of my countrymen need perspective on how good we have it versus our southern brethren.

And the same thing goes with the parts of the country that are intolerant shitholes. There are those parts. They exist, surely. But they're few, far between, and even the worst among them are still better than the median of a lot of places in the US. This isn't to shit on the struggle of a queer youth growing up in Shitrat, Saskatchewan who has to deal with the population of 4,000 wheatfarmers in his town and the opinions that go along with that. He's objectively got it hard, and telling him that people in the US have it harder doesn't make his life any easier.

But I'm one of the many, many Canadians who didn't grow up in Shitrat, so I'm super mindful of that privilege. I was able to be out in high school in 1998, for example. That's something.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I don't know, southern Manitoba is pretty awful. It wasn't until 2005 that my school division, a public school division, stopped putting morning prayer over the intercom. Originally students who didn't want to listen to morning prayer had to leave the classroom. (Incidentally that was also around the time they started allowing school dances)

Just a couple months ago a bank merger was prevented because the not southern Manitoba bank ran ads with a gay couple and makes donations to local LGBTQ organizations. There's a big stink made every time a teacher tries to publicly support LGBTQ students. Teachers and students alike are made to feel incredibly unsafe to be anything but a model Christian.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I've been held at knife point for looking kinda gay in canada before.

We can still be kind of a gate keeping shit hole, but we're a lot more quiet about it.

• Options
    hemlockhemlock Registered User regular
    It's not as bad as lots of places in the US. But I grew up in Vancouver, which is supposedly super-progressive, and there was a lot of homophobia not just from students but also from teachers. Nobody was openly gay and people talked pretty openly about beating up anyone who they found out was gay and nobody did anything about it. I've lived in some big cities in the US since then and while it's probably the passage of time more than anything, everyone is way more accepting than they were in high school. Still probably better than the worst parts of the US, but Canada isn't as good as people say (or, in my experience, the US always as bad as people say).

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    yeah bending the clip by... showing exactly what he said

This is a religious culture thing. The actual message of that clip is basically "Who the fuck are you to judge?" That's an actual Thing in the more liberal wings of Christianity, especially those who take the missionary imperative seriously. It's a long way from full acceptance but it is a step on the way to it. Like divorce 40 years ago where even now the Catholic church only "technically" cares.

I think them bitching about framing and context is ass covering though. The problem is that clip is making the rounds outside of those familiar with the culture and people are viewing it as saying more than it is.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    India
    In 2012, the Indian Parliament published a book of words and phrases that were considered to be unparliamentary:[5]
    Bad Man

There's a strong anti-Vegeta bias going on.
    Or possibly John Cena.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    India
    In 2012, the Indian Parliament published a book of words and phrases that were considered to be unparliamentary:[5]
    Bad Man

There's a strong anti-Vegeta bias going on.
    Or possibly John Cena.

I clicked that quote expecting a link, only to be told that there is no forumer with the username "Wiki on Unparliamentary language".

This is a sad day.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I feel like the types of people @Knob describes his family to be would relentlessly try to make his and his kids' lives a living hell, even if they get laughed out of court and consistently fail to take his kids away.

They'll keep sending social workers over, they'll keep trying to form a case, keep forcing Knob to make court appearances, causing endless stress and bullshit for him and his kids.

These types of people aren't out to do "what's best," they're out to ruin lives, in any way possible.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    That's exactly right. I know they don't have a legal leg to stand on. I also know that they'll manufacture fake claims and evidence and make sure that I'm bleeding money and constantly under scrutiny

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    A steak! wrote: »
    builderr0r wrote: »
    The Northeast is pretty cool, but expensive!

My family was thinking about moving to the South for a while (because we have some family down there), but I'm black, not straight, and not religious, so...no thanks.

Yeah I'm worried about the cost but the northeast sounds the raddest. Definitely want to move around that region.

The south does indeed suck. Plenty of cool people here but the atmosphere is oppressive. Don't really ever feel like I'd be able to be myself safely.

Oh, the NE can suck. If you get outside of cities it can be as rural and regressive as any place you can think of, sometimes even within just a few miles.

About 30, 45 minutes outside DC is the only time I've ever been in a McDonald's that was playing Bible songs over the speakers.

Narbus on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Narbus wrote: »

My family was thinking about moving to the South for a while (because we have some family down there), but I'm black, not straight, and not religious, so...no thanks.

Yeah I'm worried about the cost but the northeast sounds the raddest. Definitely want to move around that region.

The south does indeed suck. Plenty of cool people here but the atmosphere is oppressive. Don't really ever feel like I'd be able to be myself safely.

Oh, the NE can suck. If you get outside of cities it can be as rural and regressive as any place you can think of, sometimes even within just a few miles.

About 30, 45 minutes outside DC is the only time I've ever been in a McDonald's that was playing Bible songs over the speakers.

holy crap

I've never even heard of such a thing and I think I live in the bible belt

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

It's a common mistake to make; you were actually at St. Donald's

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

home of the McHost Burger

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

home of the McHost Burger

Your meal comes with a small piece of bread and a piece of fish with water as the beverage.

But then you look again and it's a family sized meal with wine.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    And if you make fun of the cashier, Grimmace comes out and mauls you to death.

• Options
    The woman-shaped salt shakers still weird me out

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    And if you make fun of the cashier, Grimmace comes out and mauls you to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeyU7uVOTic

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
This discussion has been closed.