As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM 2] Console Release Out! Expansions? Possibly.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    SorC wrote: »
    Eurogamer vid from Gamescom. Has a little bit of different info than the IGN one.

https://youtu.be/4ehiiza6Yao

They talk about how they want to get away from "move, overwatch" a little as the more or less only reasonable aproach. I hope that is true.

Unrelated: My belgian soldier just got her nickname: Congo! Whoah there XCOM, that is a maybe bit in bad taste.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through the interview and it's really impressive how much more info you get when the person doing the interview is very familiar with the old game. Not to knock previous efforts, but this one was much more detailed in the actual mechanics and so on.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The best glitch in XCOM: EU or EW is the existence of the Murder Death Rain Street map.

The second best is when sometimes you uncover a group of Thin Men and one of them spits fucking acid at you instead of scurrying. That one's only happened to me like twice but it is pretty much a death sentence for that character.

While Murder Street with it's single triggered patrol is plenty of 'fun', I'd argue that the best constant glitch is the already-active Cyberdisc at the end of the Slingshot battleship mission.

Makes the ending of the map a total coin toss.

That being said, I just finished Slingshot on my new '4 man only' save, reaching for dat cheevo. I dunno how this is supposed to work when it comes to Sectopod activations, but I guess I'll find out...

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    SorC wrote: »
    Eurogamer vid from Gamescom. Has a little bit of different info than the IGN one.

https://youtu.be/4ehiiza6Yao

They talk about how they want to get away from "move, overwatch" a little as the more or less only reasonable aproach. I hope that is true.

Unrelated: My belgian soldier just got her nickname: Congo! Whoah there XCOM, that is a maybe bit in bad taste.

bongo bongo bongo

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's "bingo bango bongo".

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I don't wanna leave the congo oh no no no no nooooo

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    But I'm good at moving and overwatching!

Doesn't matter if they never do a console version though I guess

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    so, Beaglerush got a hands on look at the new game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9vG-N0ILB0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_0gsOmsQE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1Tfx_TM38
    cB557 wrote: »

it's got both, actually.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I am torn between wanting all the xcom 2 info inside me right now and wanting to go into the game knowing as little as possible :(

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    it looks so good.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I love

minor visual detail spoilers
    the way that the HUD fizzes out for a second when explosives are used.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I see one problem coming up for me with this game. I'll probably won't get to play that much as I'll get stuck with all the possible squad customisations.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I got a game on Steam yesterday called League of Explorers International and it does a pretty good job scratching my X-COM itch. It's hard as shit, but the systems in place are really cool and innovative.

I still want X-COM 2 like, yesterday, but eh!

• Options
    so, Beaglerush got a hands on look at the new game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9vG-N0ILB0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_0gsOmsQE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1Tfx_TM38
    cB557 wrote: »

it's got both, actually.

Sometimes comments are amazing:
    Breaking news from the Collective News Network! After years of peaceful integration into the Collective, troubling reports have just come in that the anti-Collective terrorist cell known as "XCOM" has been identified as the perpetrator behind a shocking display of violence. After years of dormancy, the terrorist organization slaughtered several Advent security officers in cold blood in Mumbai just hours ago, along with at least two Collective support personnel and one mechanical soldier. By the time Collective reinforcements arrived, the insurgents were long gone, leaving only destruction and carnage in their wake, in what officials fear may be the first in a serious of attacks the anti-Collective organization may be planning.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the Collective and Advent officers killed during tonight's massacre." said Regional Governor Ahuja, during an emergency press conference. "India offers its sympathy and gratitude for the lives lost in the defense of Mumbai, who died saving innocent civilians from suffering the same fates. The mayor of Mumbai has informed me that the city is also extending a grant to the Dungai St. Christian Church, which was heavily-damaged during the shootout, so that the congregation can rebuild. As Regional Governor, I think I can speak for all of India and the people of Earth as a whole in saying that we will do whatever we can to support the Collective, and make sure that XCOM does not unleash a new reign of terror like it did nearly a decade ago."

Collective and Advent security officials are praising the actions of the Mumbai citizens who alerted Advent to the presence of the XCOM insurgents. The Collective believes that, had it not been for their actions, the death toll would have been much greater, and would have included citizens of Mumbai. The identities of these individuals and their families are being kept anonymous, as Advent is taking them into witness protection for fear of retaliatory actions that may be taken by XCOM.

It is unknown at this time if this horrific attack was planned by the notorious Commander Beagle, who was the mastermind behind the terror attacks the organization committed prior to Earth's integration into the Collective. Our in-studio analyst Gord-Zoop believes that it is too early to tell, especially since the organization has not made any demands or claimed responsibility for the attack, but, having been a veteran of the XCOM War, she believes that there are many telltale signs of the wanted criminal's strategies.

We will keep you updated as more information becomes available, citizens. Our sympathies here at CNN go out to the people of Earth, and most especially the people of Mumbai. The Collective has dealt with violent insurrections before, and has an excellent track record of defeating them, but there are fears that many humans will die before this conflict is over. We've reached out to the Collective Armed Forces for statements on any steps they're taking in response to this tragic event, and they've assured us that a press conference will come within the next Standard Time Cycle. Stay tuned to CNN, citizens, and keep the people of Earth in your thoughts and prayers.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Was the commenter name vesmolol? I ask because that person has been doing a fairly good fanfic based on the events of beagle's Live and Impossible series called Alive and Impossible.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I have to say: I wasn't looking forward to XCOM 2, both because of the high price tag and because Firaxis's marketing material made it sound like they had changed too much of the gameplay for my tastes (You won't fight many aliens! Mostly you'll be shooting at Advent soldiers! Even more timer missions!), but these preview plays that some 'Tubers have done managed to get me on the bandwagon. The gameplay looks so much tighter & less prone to just random bullshit, and I'm glad to see that most pods appear to include some type of alien (it looks almost Long War in structure, with pods including one 'boss' and 2+ grunts).

I don't like what has been shown of the Lancer so far (looks like he's basically just unavoidable damage most of the time, like Seekers are until you get a reliable means of popping stealth; I always felt that this was a little bullshitty) and I still don't like the timer (even though it looks fairly lenient) - I feel like they had it right in Enemy Within, where you have optional timers that encourage but don't force players to act aggressively on the map. But yeah, EW is already starting to feel like it's expiry date has run out now that I've watch Quill & Beagle play a couple of missions.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    watching Northern Lion play xcom, five episodes in on the new set, all I can think is "I know you've played this before, how are you so bad at this?"

he started in asia and plunked his first satellite onto low panic africa, ignoring medium-high panic china. I think watching beagle for so long has ruined my ability to be entertained by low skill xcom LPers.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I felt the same way, but he's gotten "better" over this run. Still passed up a 1hp berserker stun for no godamn reason but he isn't painful to watch anymore.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm so excited about this goddamned game that I am building a PC JUST to play it

I looooooooved the first game

I recognized on paper that it could be improved

But just the amount of improvements they are making to it is insane

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    totally. and the resistance vibe has me salivating as well.
    I haven't had a good resistance romp since the third person shooter Freedom Fighters on the PS2

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have one friend who is also hardcore into XCOM, and he preferred the original game to Enemy Unknown, while I was the reverse

A lot of the stuff that was lost going from UFO Defense to Enemy Unknown (procedural generation, map destruction, having to actually physically pick up and carry things) were dealbreakers for him, and I was totally fine losing those aspects

And now that they're back

yeah it sounds like a just plain better game having those

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016

This game looks fucking good

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I am torn between wanting all the xcom 2 info inside me right now and wanting to go into the game knowing as little as possible :(

knowledge wont save you

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ungh it looks really good you guys
    Also beagle got a rookie himself

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZAP3c5xikA

Lees weighs in with what is basically a review. SOLD

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Beagle got killed, he's starting a new campaign now.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Beagle got killed, he's starting a new campaign now.

He kept thinking he was done, then got lucky, then thought he was done, then got lucky... the game was toying with his hopes.

• Options
    It looks like this one isn't faring any better!

• Options
    It looks like this one isn't faring any better!

What are you talking about, he just started a new campaign!

:wink:

• Options
    New game++

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Good procedureally generated maps are exactly what xcom 1 was lacking, they are so good

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Fuuuuuck I want this game real bad

• Options
    Boris Gusev never misses.

• Options
    Boris Gusev never misses.

Boris "Clutchmaster" Gusev

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    RIP Jake "Hot Load" Solomon

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    hnnnnnnnnnngh

• Options
    Hahahahaha what is this bullshit this is amazing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Oh god they're on the statue again.

Edit: Oh good, it's just one group on it, this'll be a cakewalk I'm sure.

Rock Lobster! on
    Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    He finally near-perfectly cleared the first mission. Now nothing can possibly go wrong.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    everything went wrong

BahamutZERO.gif