As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM 2] Console Release Out! Expansions? Possibly.

Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of ForksRegistered User regular
edited April 2017 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_-2wIJIzQ
Twenty years have passed since world leaders offered an unconditional surrender to alien forces and XCOM, the planet's last line of defense, was left decimated and scattered. Now the aliens rule Earth, building shining cities that promise a brilliant future for humanity on the surface, while concealing a sinister agenda below and eliminating all who dissent from their new order.

Only those who live at the edges of the world have a margin of freedom. Here, a force gathers once again to stand up for humanity. Always on the run, the remnant XCOM forces must find a way to rise from the ashes, expose the insidious truth behind the occupation, and eliminate the alien threat once and for all.

Welcome back... Commander.

02_x2_screens_overview_thm.jpg

Snakemen! A mobile base! Sword fighting! Tactical guerrilla combat! Full mod and Steam workshop support!

November 2015!?

In order to better combat the alien threat, the following classified materials have been made available to you.

Cmdr. Fishman's classic X-COM LP, in which the alien bastards are violently repelled over serveral long years, at the expense of many of Earth's... erm... "stalwart" defenders.

Cmdr. Brovid Hasselsmof's XCOM: Enemy Unknown LP, in which a Tyrannosaurus Rex is placed in charge of the defense of Earth when the alien bastards come sniffing around again.

Cmdr. sarukun's XCOM: Enemy Within LP, in which the alien bastards come back with some new toys, and a desire to test them on an unsuspecting public. The effort to repel them is ongoing.

Cmdr. Fanda's X-COM LP, in which good ol' classic human ingenuity (and heavy munitions) will save Earth from the alien bastards.

Cmdr. Stilts' XCOM: Enemy Unknown LP, in which those body cameras Bradford bought actually work (for once), so we can revel in the visual masterpiece of armor piercing rounds entering an alien bastard's skull.

Cmdr. chiasaur11's X-COM: TFTD LP, in which it is made safe to go back in the water, no thanks to the alien bastards. Well, except for all of the Great White Sharks. Those are still out there.

vEiq7yi.png

[IMG][/img]
Romanian My Escutcheon on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ONLY GOOD MORPH IS A DEAD MORPH

• Options
    I'M FROM BUENOS AIRES AND I SAY KILL 'EM ALL

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I wonder if they're gonna lift any design ideas from the modding scene for enemy unknown/enemy within
    also I hope sectoids aren't gone, they're too cute to replace with more serious looking adult-sized menaces from beyond the sky

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I wonder if they're gonna lift any design ideas from the modding scene for enemy unknown/enemy within
    also I hope sectoids aren't gone, they're too cute to replace with more serious looking adult-sized menaces from beyond the sky

Apparently the alien that gets vivisected towards the end of the trailer is an evolved Sectoid.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    evolved, more like hybridized with humans
    but my point is that I hope we still get class trips of traditional little sectoid children romping about, not just the new taller variety from the trailer

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    There's also Fanda's insane current LP where they play on superhuman with only council funding and human weapons:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/195545/lets-play-x-com-ufo-defense-ironman-superhuman-starting-tech-council-funding-only/

Between reading that and the new trailer I've been getting the urge to actually see a game of EW through.

• Options
    I should play an EW campaign and not abuse mimetic skin. Like resist the temptation to make 6 completely overpowered invisible super soldiers with memetic skin.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    fuck yeeeeeaaaaaah

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I can't retire while the Xeno threat exists.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    welp there goes the rest of my year! between this and Mankind Divided i'm gonna be at my PC a lot.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I honestly hope this game operates on the assumption that you are the same XCOM commander who let the xenos win, and then takes the time to actively deride you for it at every opportunity.

I like the idea of everybody hating you, but letting you run the insurgency since you're pretty much the only qualified/surviving individual.

Maybe I'm a masochist.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Also; I booted up an Impossible Enemy Within run with some Second Wave options enabled for shits and giggles.

I got about four missions in before I said "Fuck it," and scrubbed the entire save.

Shit be difficult, yo.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    enemy within ending spoilers
    The volunteer disappears before the ship explodes

here's the article about it [spoilers within link! beware!]

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I honestly hope this game operates on the assumption that you are the same XCOM commander who let the xenos win, and then takes the time to actively deride you for it at every opportunity.

I like the idea of everybody hating you, but letting you run the insurgency since you're pretty much the only qualified/surviving individual.

Maybe I'm a masochist.

Based on absolutely nothing, I am going to boldly guess that you are the original XCOM commander, but you didn't "lose" - you were sold out by those backstabbing politicians after the aliens cut a corrupt deal behind the scenes (as, indeed, they would in the original X-Com). At some point you will confront the dastardly traitor and elderly Bradford will cap him.

• Options
    "Enemy Within"

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    anemone muffin

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i honestly wish i was more excited about this news. I'm still going to buy this if my computer can turn it though. Won't suffer the xenos to live.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I'M SO EXCITED YOU GUYS

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Hard to believe it's been 3 years since the previous game.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I'm hoping Firaxis is taking a bunch of inspiration from the Long War mod

because there was some atrocious holes in XCOM EU/EW's gameplay

way more noticeable and crippling at higher difficulties

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Having played my first game of Enemy Within lately, I hope the cyborg stuff isn't completely removed!

MEC troopers are the best troopers

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

Wasn't there a LP of one of the Xcom devs playing LW?

I'd be shocked if they learned nothing

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

Wasn't there a LP of one of the Xcom devs playing LW?

I'd be shocked if they learned nothing

they host Beagle's campaign of it once a week
    like, officially! with advertising and stuff!

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    It's kind of amazing that as bad as I am at strategy, and as totally terrified as I was the whole time I played Enemy Within, I still fucking loved it

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh, I see.

My LP isn't good enough for the OP.

W-well fine!

It's not like I wanted your recognition anyway, baka.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    enemy within ending spoilers
    The volunteer disappears before the ship explodes

here's the article about it [spoilers within link! beware!]

whaaaaaaaaaaat

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Oh, I see.

W-well fine!

THERE ARE A LOT OF ALIEN INVASIONS OKAY I AM ONLY ONE MAN

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Stilts I was just about to post your LP!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/176474/stilts-plays-xcom-eu-day-31-up-in-smoke/p1

I remember because I was a super-important part of it.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The difficult thing about XCOM is that the premise - mysterious aliens invade our everyday world and we scramble to respond, leading to a desperate race to find out who they are and what they want, while battles rage in recognizable everyday locales - has a huge amount of its appeal locked up in elements that can only be done once. The element of surprise and horror, and the excitement that replaces those feelings as your skills and technology begin to turn the tide, are hard to sequelize - future enemies will just be "more aliens," and reasons, ranging from the good to the incredibly contrived, have to be devised to give you a new tech tree to climb ("our weapons don't work underwater," etc).

So, I mean, I was always kind of ambivalent on the idea of a sequel. I was actually hoping for a second expansion that would overhaul XCOM's endgame the way EW improved the saggy middle. Oh, and color everything red, because obviously the next step after a blue-green UI and a yellow-gold UI is a red one.

But the sequel is here, and while I'm not as immediately OMGSTOKED as I would have been for that hypothetical next expansion, I...think it looks and sounds pretty okay? Like, what they've done is kind of bit a few of the bullets that I alluded to in my first paragraph: this won't be our recognizable everyday world anymore, but a video game dystopia. And the aliens are not going to be a mystery, but will be front and center right from the beginning. And while there will certainly be some sort of tech tree, it's doubtful it will look anything like the progression from basically real-world guns and body-armor to sci-fi stuff; it will start sci-fi and stay there. But all of these things seem to have been done in a way that at least has the potential to be interesting: the reversal from hunter into hunted, for instance, or the (presumably) more rag-tag nature of your operation.

And while it will need to work to earn back some of the excitement and atmosphere of the original, I'm actually pretty hopeful that the past couple of years have given them time to really polish the mechanics and gameplay to a glossy sheen. Like, I will totally forgive XCOM 2 for being less immediately compelling if it turns out that the gameplay is really rich and exciting and the new classes are cool and the new aliens are scary and fun and et cetera et cetera.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    It's a god

Damn

Cobra

Alien

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    the aliens winning must mean my playthrough is canon

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    gonna be a broken record and follow in on Jacobkosh

the beginning game is not very good
    your soldiers simply can't do enough as rookies, which makes breaking out of month four on impossible my white fucking whale (I rarely even get past month 2)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Oh, I see.

W-well fine!

THERE ARE A LOT OF ALIEN INVASIONS OKAY I AM ONLY ONE MAN

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The most important thing Firaxis needs to adapt from Long War is playable Peter Van Doorn (and/or his offspring).

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I need to play Enemy Unknown through again, or maybe check out EW

I haven't played nearly enough to be jaded towards the statistics that some of y'all got burned out against

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    By the way, Enemy Unknown is on sale RIGHT NOW to celebrate the announcement.

I doubt anybody reading this thread doesn't already have it, but better safe than xeno - I mean, sorry.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Are the Slingshot and Elite Soldier packs worth grabbing? They're $13 or so all together right now with EW on steam

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Are the Slingshot and Elite Soldier packs worth grabbing? They're $13 or so all together right now with EW on steam

elite soldier is worth it if you like playing dolly dress-up with your troops and making them custom little GI Joes

slingshot is alright, you get a pretty cool extra soldier out of it early on and a series of decent but kinda difficult missions in exchange for an early boost to some techs

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    dress up is important

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb