As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solium Infernum II: Hex Harder in Hell [Game On]

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Critical Failures
OP elements stolen shamelessly from a fantastic and sadly overlooked thread by @Capfalcon from many years back. I reckon his mistake was to go for G&T when despite being on the computer this is clearly more a CF type game.

My lord, I bring you fantastic news!

solinf0jpg.jpg

Satan has abdicated the Throne of Hell.

Solium_victory_screen-thumb-550x378.jpg

The entirety of the Infernal Conclave is scrambling to find a new monarch. Now is your moment, my lord. Seize what is rightfully yours.

SIbanner.jpg

Marshal your legions to conquer your foes who foolish refuse your demands.

ironmaidens.jpgthefallen.jpg

Crush your pitiful rivals' champions in single combat.

in_dreadful_deeds_fearless550.jpgsinglecombat.jpg

Hexes!

MainMapClose.jpg

On a dull work day I found myself somehow stumbling upon a write up of this game on Rock Paper Shotgun. It was frankly amazing. I suggest you go read it now . You only need to read the Kieron and Quinns bits and if that's too much reading for you, I won't lie this probably isn't the game for you.

Back with me?

Excited as all get out to give this a shot?

Let's do this!

A few points to bear in mind first however.

1) This game will cost you. 15 of your dollars to be precise. I have yet to buy it but if we can get a game going on the forum I definitely will.

2) This game will take some time. Play by email. Variable number of turns. We're talking weeks and weeks here most likely. If you're not in for the long haul then you're probably best not starting.

3) This game is rules deep. It has a large manual you will probably want to consult. Though wikis and tutorial pages exist on the game website.

So can I get at least three other interested parties involved?

Go on, be a Devil.

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• Options
    The above is a direct copy of the OP from game one.

Things we have since learned:

This game is amazing!

The long haul is really the long haul. (The last game took 10 months but turn times really slowed down toward the end) We'll probably choose short game length this time...

The opening moves are very important, but not the be all and end all.

This game takes some serious brain space as time goes on and the number of order slots you have to fill grows. Please be aware what you are taking on. Sure you can be dropped over to an AI player but that's always going to be a last resort.

Given the sometimes large gaps between turns, keeping some basic notes is advised.

Alerting anyone and everyone who ever posted in the last thread:

@Capfalcon
    @kaorti
    @Auralynx
    @farangu
    @fadingathedges
    @TheOtherHorseman
    @MrBody
    @kaliyama
    @Smaug6
    @Phyphor
    @jakobagger

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Sure, I would like to play. There'll be the odd week or two in the coming months where I am away from the internet for vacation-related reasons but I assume that's true of all of us?

• Options
    Indeed. No worries there.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Though I'm not gonna play this time, I endorse this game. It's quite slow and indirect and for the long-game minded; playing on Short is probably a good idea.

Also don't take Sloth and hope you can castle, or do it better than I did last game.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Work + school still, but I hope you murder each other exquisitely.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    *bumps*

Not too promising so far, huh.

• Options
    Sadly nay. A pity as I'm really keen to play again with real humans.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Sadly nay. A pity as I'm really keen to play again with real humans.

YES ME TOO I AM A HUMAN WHO LIKES TO PLAY WITH HUMANS

definitely

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Hi. I'm down to play.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    @kaliyama @jakobagger it's a minimum of four players in a game, but I'm down for trying three players with an AI if you are.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Sure.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I'll give it a shot. Haven't played in 5 years.

• Options
    Yessssssss.

Can you all PM me your emails and I'll try and get things started tomorrow (UK) evening.

I'm thinking we go short game length, small map size, default PoP frequency, random map type, infernal census on (prestige occasionally handed out for hexes controlled), expansion content on.

Any other opinions on that please do say so.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BigBadWolfBigBadWolf Grandma's HouseRegistered User regular
    I don't suppose you've got room for one more? I've been wanting to play this since the RPS write-up but I've never managed to find anyone willing to play!

• Options
    Absolutely! Just PM me your email.

Also waiting on @kaliyama

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Game set up file sent out. Let me know if you need any help with what to do with it, but it should all be in the manual.

I strongly suggest you use your forum name as your fiend avatar name to make life easier. And if we want to coordinate different portraits, I went goat-face (number 13).

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'm claiming the succubus -looking one, with the fur coat. Number 9.

It'll be a while at least before I've figured out the stats etc. though.

Also, the manual is saying the file should end in .inv but mine ends in .sav?

• Options
    Whoops! Correct files sent. The.sav is for when we get going.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ok I got the file loaded it and selected my avatar, but got a dialogue box with 'object missing' instead of the expected prompt to send a trn file. Clicked ok anyway.

PA file is gone from the menu inside the game, and instead there's a new folder named PA2, which is as it should be (I think?). But there's no trn file inside that folder.

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Ok I got the file loaded it and selected my avatar, but got a dialogue box with 'object missing' instead of the expected prompt to send a trn file. Clicked ok anyway.

PA file is gone from the menu inside the game, and instead there's a new folder named PA2, which is as it should be (I think?). But there's no trn file inside that folder.

I was getting similar errors playing single player (badly!) if I tabbed out of the game and then clicked back into it. Their help forums seem to indicate that you can get problems if you regain focus by clicking within the game area - clicking on the title bar or taskbar icon to regain focus seems to prevent it.

There's also apparently a bug where you get errors if your computer's been on too long. Try restarting your computer and seeing if that helps? Apparently its an issue with Adobe Designer rather than the game.

If that doesn't help then I'm all out of suggestions!

• Options
    BigBadWolf wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »

I was getting similar errors playing single player (badly!) if I tabbed out of the game and then clicked back into it. Their help forums seem to indicate that you can get problems if you regain focus by clicking within the game area - clicking on the title bar or taskbar icon to regain focus seems to prevent it.

There's also apparently a bug where you get errors if your computer's been on too long. Try restarting your computer and seeing if that helps? Apparently its an issue with Adobe Designer rather than the game.

If that doesn't help then I'm all out of suggestions!

Being a bit more focused instead of constantly tabbing in and out of things fixed it. Or maybe it was the reboot, though I did already do one today.

Also, looking at you guys' emails, I see someone likes Czech (?) fried cheese. I don't think I've ever gotten around to actually trying that but it's always fascinated me. Giving Scotland a run for their money in the race to develop the most heart attack-y food.

Maybe I should have picked Gluttony.

• Options
    Hmmm...I forgot that when that virus wiped out all my text, image, and video files, that my old Solium Infernum purchase key was one of those files. The 5 year old email is also gone. Going to have to contact the author and see if I can get the key.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I think there's a windowed-mode launcher I was using. Didn't have any tab-out issues or loss-of-focus ones, running that.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Oh wow. Vic already got back to me with my old download and serial key! Will set this up today.

• Options
    Are we playing with the expansion?

Tip for new players: the biggest help I found with Avatar creation in regards to learning what the different attributes do, is to start a game, click on the Ministorum (or whatever the lower left button is called), click on Avatar, then click on "powers" in the lower left. You'll get a menu screen telling you exactly what each level of each attribute gives you.

• Options
    Yup I turned the expansion on. More confusing options is more good!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So who else is paranoid that their avatar strategy is going to completely bomb?

Doesn't seem much of the stuff balance wise has changed since five years ago. Some of the perks I can't imagine anyone ever taking (only 10 extra points for the crippling -1 orders?). But it's a lot better than pre version 1.05. Starting legion was determined solely by rank, so every single player always went with a charisma based Prince.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

Doesn't seem much of the stuff balance wise has changed since five years ago. Some of the perks I can't imagine anyone ever taking (only 10 extra points for the crippling -1 orders?). But it's a lot better than pre version 1.05. Starting legion was determined solely by rank, so every single player always went with a charisma based Prince.

Yeah I uh...did not realize that wasn't how it worked any more, after reading a maybe antiquated strategy guide.

So I'm all about charisma and rank. Hasn't been very impressive in the single player game I've been trying out. That might just as much be me not having learned the game at all yet, though.

• Options
    Rank is still useful in regards to insults/demands, it's just not the automatic choice it was before.

• Options
    I've only had your two files in and they all get processed at once so you can do-over if you want.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Nah it's fine, probably.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

We had several people spelling merrily away last game, and my "no, your spells don't do much," build was actually going fairly well; if I'd been more aggressive I think it'd have been fairly competitive.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Kaorti's 'I can nuke any unit off the map in a single turn' build was pretty terrifying.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Builds I've seen:

- All charisma
    - Starting Wickedness/Prophecy of 4 to get +1 order
    - All in starting legion by getting as many non-charisma points as possible

I don't think any of the negative perks are worth it.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Still waiting on @BigBadWolf and @kaliyama

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I sent a new start file.

• Options
    Oops! It was sat in my drafts folder... I've sent it now.

• Options
    kaliyama has gone radio silent. I've sent him a PM but as yet no reply. Come Friday if there's no response I'll start another game with just the four of us.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    And we're off!

o5qiddpasbgm.jpg

Lake of Fire map, so there's a particularly tasty +1 order slot Place of Power at the centre of the map.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Oh my, you're all lustful apart from me. Brawl on the mushroom!

MhCw7nZ.gif