As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mad Max Fury [chat]

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I kind of feel that homosexual male pairing as an option for he player character is a bit weird. That's seems to be the new norm in our new "progressive" RPGs, but I think it improperly reinforces the concept that homosexuality is a choice. I don't really know how to feel about it in the context of a Bioware game which also suggests that good and evil are primarily choices.

I would agree with regards to the latter; not the former. Like, I think people largely choose to perpetrate good or evil. In fact, I think most people engage in actions I would personally (not objectively) ascribe as good or evil on a day to day basis. But in Mass Effect it's arbitrary except insofar as what in-game rewards you receive and what in-game consequences you incur which, let's be honest, are minimal.

But it is largely arbitrary, as is any mail romance available to you. It's so weird to me because it's so arbitrary.

I dunno. I swear this isn't homophobia. I'm curious what others think.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    I mean if a character is bi, fine. But if you're going to design a homosexual character, please commit to the choice.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    We were about 90 minutes into Mad Max when girlfriend said, "Why does Max sound like Bane?"

This is like Thor the Dark World when I thought "Does this Elf speaking Elvish have a Northern Accent" and then "Oh it's Chris Eccleston"

And later "This Let it Go song sounds a lot like Defying Gravity".
    The best part is that both Stephen Schwartz and the Lopezs stated in interviews that they knew they were getting Idina Menzel, who is known for belting out loud ballads, so they wrote those songs to give her the opportunity to do so. They were all, like, "I have this weapon... I should totally use it!"

The weirder part was finding all of those Idina Menzel clones in other languages for Frozen who match her sound and volume.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    peanut butter cookie do banana milkshake v gud

obF2Wuw.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I kind of feel that homosexual male pairing as an option for he player character is a bit weird. That's seems to be the new norm in our new "progressive" RPGs, but I think it improperly reinforces the concept that homosexuality is a choice. I don't really know how to feel about it in the context of a Bioware game which also suggests that good and evil are primarily choices.

I would agree with regards to the latter; not the former. Like, I think people largely choose to perpetrate good or evil. In fact, I think most people engage in actions I would personally (not objectively) ascribe as good or evil on a day to day basis. But in Mass Effect it's arbitrary except insofar as what in-game rewards you receive and what in-game consequences you incur which, let's be honest, are minimal.

But it is largely arbitrary, as is any mail romance available to you. It's so weird to me because it's so arbitrary.

I don't think it's presented as a "choice" in that sense, but maybe it'd be better if the game asked if you're into dudes or ladies during character creation.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    We were about 90 minutes into Mad Max when girlfriend said, "Why does Max sound like Bane?"

This is like Thor the Dark World when I thought "Does this Elf speaking Elvish have a Northern Accent" and then "Oh it's Chris Eccleston"

The best part is that both Stephen Schwartz and the Lopezs stated in interviews that they knew they were getting Idina Menzel, who is known for belting out loud ballads, so they wrote those songs to give her the opportunity to do so. They were all, like, "I have this weapon... I should totally use it!"

The weirder part was finding all of those Idina Menzel clones in other languages for Frozen who match her sound and volume.

The are actual clones.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular

It's probably striking you as weird because in Mass Effect, sexual orientation is completely meaningless so playing a gay/bi character has absolutely no bearing on anything and can feel like a tacked on choice just to appeal to a particular fanbase.

In Dragon Age Inquisition, it's handled pretty differently, especially with regards to Dorian

Pony wrote: »

It's probably striking you as weird because in Mass Effect, sexual orientation is completely meaningless so playing a gay/bi character has absolutely no bearing on anything and can feel like a tacked on choice just to appeal to a particular fanbase.

In Dragon Age Inquisition, it's handled pretty differently, especially with regards to Dorian

Fair enough. I need to finish playing through Origins, if fact.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Every Tom Hardy character is Bane since that movie. Mad Max is the continued adventures of Bane. Or the just-before-death fever dream of Bane!

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mad Max: Fury road was such a rip-off of Fallout New Vegas and borderlands.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    I mean if a character is bi, fine. But if you're going to design a homosexual character, please commit to the choice.

Mass Effect also shied away from allowing you to play a gay dude until the very last game

You could play a lesbian or a bisexual woman in ME1 and ME2, but there was no way at all for you to express a male Shepard wasn't straight in the first two games because there was literally no dialogue options to do so.

It was either romance women, or romance nobody.

Then in the 3rd game they added a couple dudes you could romance, so it feels extra tacked on that way.

Mass Effect also shied away from allowing you to play a gay dude until the very last game

You could play a lesbian or a bisexual woman in ME1 and ME2, but there was no way at all for you to express a male Shepard wasn't straight in the first two games because there was literally no dialogue options to do so.

Then in the 3rd game they added a couple dudes you could romance, so it feels extra tacked on that way.

i forgot about that.

That is pretty awful.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i think saints row 4 handled it best really

your character, no matter female or male, is simply an indiscriminate pervert who will fuck everyone

except keith davis, who's not down for it

I don't think it's presented as a "choice" in that sense, but maybe it'd be better if the game asked if you're into dudes or ladies during character creation.

Except it doesn't occur until the second game.

Orphane wrote: »
    i think saints row 4 handled it best really

your character, no matter female or male, is simply an indiscriminate pervert who will fuck everyone

except keith davis, who's not down for it

Yeah but in all honesty I feel like "being perverse" and "being homosexual" have an unfortunate conflation already.

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Just got done with my first Summer Day. Sunbathing and swimming at the lake. Some good female company. Watching Fury Road in the cinema.

Realization of the day. Women who can pull off short hair like Furiosa should totally go with it. Long well-done hair are nice to look at, but are obstructive in the sack, and feel like cobwebs. Fuck hair!

I mean, you can always wear a wig for big hair day, and then throw that shit in the hamper for matress tango.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The context is that it's different when you are crafting a fictional character and creating them with your own artistic vision, as opposed to real life, where you aren't really given a choice on your gender, your parents, your sexual orientation, your social class, etc.

It might be better if the game starts out with the ability to select sexual orientation and potential romances (including the "all" and "none" options) at the beginning during the creation, but then it breaks some of the expectations and story flow. Often, the audience expects romance to begin spontaneously and organically, rather than planned (at least, in Western culture. There are cultures that "matchmaker" planned romances are the norm rather than the exception).

Since most video games are essentially power fantasies anyway, and character creation elements in RPGs offer a lot of author-level insertion, perhaps it's best if we allow everyone to be romanced/fuckable by anyone regardless of gender. A game that lets you indiscriminately kill whoever you want, steal from whatever you want, should probably let you love whoever you want (or at least, offer valid choices to do so). But then you get into the whole question of resources used to make video games (time, writing talent, money, etc.).

I don't think there's an easy answer other than "video games aren't real life", and leaving it at that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

Yeah, exactly.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with this chat for true chat seeing as a man should get more than five minutes to craft an OP

A man should have a library of chats prefabbed in Evernote just in case he can't think of something on the fly.

Pretty Pink Monster Hunting Princess [chat].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDoWhMt2_gs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkd5mYvKWig
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txHGxJRwtQ

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2015

i forgot about that.

That is pretty awful.

I think it is less "awful" and more "what was culturally acceptable and risk-appropriate in a mainstream AAA videogame" changing so rapidly over the 5 years betweens games 1 and 3 that they felt as though they had to include it, and just putting the options into 3 was easier than retroactively adding content to 1 and 2, securing the voice actors for new dialog, and fitting it in.

It sounds strange to say, but 2007 and 2012 are two WILDLY different years when it comes to acceptance of homosexuality in America.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    if i made a bioware rpg you would be only allowed to bang elcors

obF2Wuw.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Mass Effect wouldn't even show my relationship with my Varren on-screen in 2. I was very disappointed.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.

In ecstasy: Yes. Yes. Oh God Yes.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    if i made a bioware rpg you would be only allowed to bang Hanar

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i watched avengers two: tony stark's a huge asshole
    they did a good job with some stuff and not a good job with other stuff
    too many characters and too much going on
    verdict: eh

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

A quickie would be 3 hours.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Just got done with my first Summer Day. Sunbathing and swimming at the lake. Some good female company. Watching Fury Road in the cinema.

Realization of the day. Women who can pull off short hair like Furiosa should totally go with it. Long well-done hair are nice to look at, but are obstructive in the sack, and feel like cobwebs. Fuck hair!

I mean, you can always wear a wig for big hair day, and then throw that shit in the hamper for matress tango.

That fetish is only semi-uncommon.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I rode 4 wheelers today! It was awesome except the part where I flipped it onto my knee, but it's just bruised as far as I can tell. Small miracles and all that.

I ate an engineer
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    is the original jurassic park worth rewatching, or will it be dated and horrible

is the original jurassic park worth rewatching, or will it be dated and horrible

Still amazing.

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The context is that it's different when you are crafting a fictional character and creating them with your own artistic vision, as opposed to real life, where you aren't really given a choice on your gender, your parents, your sexual orientation, your social class, etc.

It might be better if the game starts out with the ability to select sexual orientation and potential romances (including the "all" and "none" options) at the beginning during the creation, but then it breaks some of the expectations and story flow. Often, the audience expects romance to begin spontaneously and organically, rather than planned (at least, in Western culture. There are cultures that "matchmaker" planned romances are the norm rather than the exception).

Since most video games are essentially power fantasies anyway, and character creation elements in RPGs offer a lot of author-level insertion, perhaps it's best if we allow everyone to be romanced/fuckable by anyone regardless of gender. A game that lets you indiscriminately kill whoever you want, steal from whatever you want, should probably let you love whoever you want (or at least, offer valid choices to do so). But then you get into the whole question of resources used to make video games (time, writing talent, money, etc.).

I don't think there's an easy answer other than "video games aren't real life", and leaving it at that.

My point is, design a an actually character.

In a story where sex is even relevant, then design your character so its actions and reactions to sex are consistent.

I think complaints about underrepresentation of homosexuality in popular culture will decrease as homosexual protagonists increase.

I don't think arbitrary player choice as to whether or not a protagonist is homo/hetero/bi/omni is remotely helpful. I think it is actively hurtful.

I am out of games to play on PC....hmmm

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

A quickie would be 3 hours.

"Statement of ecstasy: Oh, baby. Oh, baby. Oh, baby."

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

It is worth watching - it is one of the first films that got the balance between CG and practical just right.

Even now it does not look terribly fake.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    i think avatar characters are boring and romance in video games is boring

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

It's pretty rewatchable besides the DNA stuff that was semi stupid when Crichton wrote the book. There are a few things you might catch better if you saw it young, too.

I ate an engineer
    P10 wrote: »
    i think avatar characters are boring and romance in video games is boring

I prefer my romance as a QTE threesome before going to slay some gods

I kind of wanted to bang Garrus as MaleShep.

I kind of want to bang Garrus as Drez.

I kind of still do.

cool maybe I will rent it and watch it again

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it since 199x

i'm going to talk to this person and schmooze them until we sex, then they become emotionally distant and we have nothing more to say to each other

just like real life

This discussion has been closed.