As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Horns.aiff - the YouTube Thread

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    How many ASMR videos have you watched to make you so angry at them? Are you a glutton for punishment?

I don't actually get the effect, but I do know that I find cleaning my ears, washing my hair, and haircuts to be relaxing, so I listen to those when I sleep.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Behold, the pinnacle of Gaming Culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd9pIR1hCJY

please please please watch eggman origins

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Pfft, more like a small amount of people that are incapable of having the response.
    Edit: Synesthesia is rare as fuck. Getting pleasurable shivers from asmr youtubes, not so much.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. The pleasurable shivers you're talking about, that is super common isn't the actual response.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I get that asmr thing but the videos people make for it don't really do anything to trigger it for me.

For me it tends to be upbeat positive music that does something different than just making me feel good. It is hard to explain.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOVQypNYzdo

Matt Lees and Quintin Smith are launching a standalone channel and website for their content, including the Daft Souls podcast!

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    The ASMR community used to be a fun and strange but relatively innocent corner of Youtube until that goose Russel Brand decided that since he got a semi from listening to one of them that means the only reason anyone could ever want to watch one is because they're all closet perverts and only he's brave enough to admit it on Youtube. Now half of the people doing it are girls in lingerie moaning sex noises into the mic.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Noooooot clicking those

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Noooooot clicking those

The ladies are standing behind a screen, when they try on pasties for the first time.

The guys are not, when they try on pasties for the first time.

Discuss.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Noooooot clicking those

The ladies are standing behind a screen, when they try on pasties for the first time.

Discuss.

it's a muuuuuuuch bigger deal for women to show their exposed chests on the internet than men. Pasties or no.

• Options
    Noooooot clicking those

Discuss.

it's a muuuuuuuch bigger deal for women to show their exposed chests on the internet than men. Pasties or no.

Instagram removing pictures showing female nipples was the impetus for the video. But, if the female nipples were covered in photoshop with male nipples, it was ok, according to Instagram.
    "We don’t allow nudity on Instagram," Instagram's community guidelines state. "This includes photos, videos, and some digitally-created content that show sexual intercourse, genitals, and close-ups of fully-nude buttocks. It also includes some photos of female nipples, but photos of post-mastectomy scarring and women actively breastfeeding are allowed."

The dichotomy between male and female nipples was especially highlighted when comedian Chelsea Handler tried to recreate Vladimir Putin's famous photo shirtless atop a horse. Instagram promptly removed Handler's post.

"Why?" Handler questioned. "He’s topless. Is it because I have nipples? Is it because they’re bigger?"

Those advocating, like Handler, to #freethenipple are trying to desexualize the female nipple in the same manner as the male nipple. No luck so far, but at least for now the male-nipple template seems to be doing the trick in keeping Instagram at bay.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Noooooot clicking those

Discuss.

Instagram removing pictures showing female nipples was the impetus for the video. But, if the female nipples were covered in photoshop with male nipples, it was ok, according to Instagram.

"We don’t allow nudity on Instagram," Instagram's community guidelines state. "This includes photos, videos, and some digitally-created content that show sexual intercourse, genitals, and close-ups of fully-nude buttocks. It also includes some photos of female nipples, but photos of post-mastectomy scarring and women actively breastfeeding are allowed."

The dichotomy between male and female nipples was especially highlighted when comedian Chelsea Handler tried to recreate Vladimir Putin's famous photo shirtless atop a horse. Instagram promptly removed Handler's post.

"Why?" Handler questioned. "He’s topless. Is it because I have nipples? Is it because they’re bigger?"

Those advocating, like Handler, to #freethenipple are trying to desexualize the female nipple in the same manner as the male nipple. No luck so far, but at least for now the male-nipple template seems to be doing the trick in keeping Instagram at bay.

"We've been shouted at a lot over these particular issues, and rather than think hard about the underlying reasons for the shouting, we made our rules even more byzantine, but in such a way that the shouting would stop."

Butler on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2e9nTeIwFk

This opening still gets me hype.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the truth is out there

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

• Options
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    My friend hates ASMR now because w
    Falx wrote: »
    The ASMR community used to be a fun and strange but relatively innocent corner of Youtube until that goose Russel Brand decided that since he got a semi from listening to one of them that means the only reason anyone could ever want to watch one is because they're all closet perverts and only he's brave enough to admit it on Youtube. Now half of the people doing it are girls in lingerie moaning sex noises into the mic.

Haha my friend was complaining about this exactly to me yesterday. I have no reaction to them, but he used to love them. He also can lucid dream and do all that shit and is hypnotised really easily.

Also he said that all the original ASMR people moved on because it got crowded with the sex stuff

Its kind of an interesting phenomenon just on how it got started and how it turned out

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    That reminds me. A few years ago a forumer created a total deconstruction of Final Fantasy VII and in the first episode spent a lot of time just explaining the basics of how the PS1 memory and hardware worked and how Square had to take those limitations into account.

Anyone remember who that was or whether the series was completed? It was fascinating.

@halkun I think, and I dunno

This is the channel and the last video he made.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPXpH2hxuNc

Oh hey, I knew I recognized the name, he was the guy who made the Enterprise in Minecraft. He was also in the Mojang documentary.

Yea, I know that guy too. He can be a lazy dipshit sometimes and never follows through on cool ideas.

"It takes too long to make these", he says to no one in particular... "I already have a job that takes 40 hours a week of my time!"

Yea, Shut up you lazy bum! It's not like you've been tearing the dumb game apart for almost 13 years now, and practically have the source code.

(Naa, I'm kidding, that halkun dude is a pretty cool guy when he's not being lame.)

• Options
    The ASMR videos I listen to are binaural and don't involve people talking at all.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2e9nTeIwFk

This opening still gets me hype.

It's sad that the US one doesn't capture the essence the Japanese one had

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I still prefer Uncle Eph's ASMR videos. He's got a wicked sense of humor.

Though the other thing that gets me to relax really well is Nujabes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQY9zrjPBjo

RIP

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Falx wrote: »

Haha my friend was complaining about this exactly to me yesterday. I have no reaction to them, but he used to love them. He also can lucid dream and do all that shit and is hypnotised really easily.

Also he said that all the original ASMR people moved on because it got crowded with the sex stuff

Its kind of an interesting phenomenon just on how it got started and how it turned out

I limit my ASMR exploration to checking the top posts on the ASMR subreddit, I haven't experienced any sex stuff crowding out the regular stuff

• Options

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    TrippyJing wrote: »

ban segways

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    bonus jimquisition outta nowhere

https://youtu.be/Y_CSZlIW_iE

I've got to admit, at first I was pretty tired of Jim Sterling's whole schtick and I wrote him off, but the more I pay attention to his stuff, the more I like him.

While his sense of humour isn't always exactly my type of stuff, I do think that he's got his priorities set in a pretty good way. He's better than a lot of other video-game reviewers I've seen at effectively expressing his thoughts and opinions. Maybe I'm a bit biased, since I find my opinions usually match up pretty closely to his the majority of the time.

In short, I've turned around on Jim Sterling in the past few months. Shine on you crazy diamond.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    TrippyJing wrote: »

ban segways

The worst part is that the thing that messes him up is a track for a steadycam.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Yeah, put me in the camp of 'slowly coming around to Stirling'. After the Grundlegab fiasco, I guess I took a look at his attire and just wrote him off as yet another one of those guys about 'Ethics in Journalism'. Didn't help that he came from the Escapist, a site that I didn't really care for.

But he's actually not bad. Shame on me for judging a book by its cover.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    beaten by hours man

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    The first few times I was trying really hard to figure out how he was doing that. Then I watched the neck and noticed he wasn't.

It's still good, though.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Oh

oh my God you guys

you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf7JNzo6DZY

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    bonus jimquisition outta nowhere

https://youtu.be/Y_CSZlIW_iE

I've got to admit, at first I was pretty tired of Jim Sterling's whole schtick and I wrote him off, but the more I pay attention to his stuff, the more I like him.

While his sense of humour isn't always exactly my type of stuff, I do think that he's got his priorities set in a pretty good way. He's better than a lot of other video-game reviewers I've seen at effectively expressing his thoughts and opinions. Maybe I'm a bit biased, since I find my opinions usually match up pretty closely to his the majority of the time.

In short, I've turned around on Jim Sterling in the past few months. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Well, he's very abrasive and uses a lot of hyperbole, but ultimate what he wants is honesty and integrity from publishers and developers, and for customers to be treated with respect rather than regarded as ATMs.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    beaten by hours man

The full Youtube video is better anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdUcijlzJkw

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    beaten by hours man

I mean, I watch it everytime it's posted, so

This discussion has been closed.