As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All-New, All-Different [Superhero Thread]: Howard the Duck gets a new hat!

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I hope it's not a fedora, a deerstalker might be pretty good...

Maybe a top hat?!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I'm hoping for a beer can helmet!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I don't care about Miles Morales but that Peter Parker book is one of the very few that look like I'd enjoy them.

I don't see why people shouldn't get that book just because there is also a Miles Morales book.

Did anyone say that? I think people were more annoyed that the Peter Parker book makes the Miles Morales book superfluous

It dosen't make it superfluous, it maybe makes it seem less vital but that's up to the individual reader, I know which of the two I plan to read.

And the Miles book was announced first, lending credence to the idea that Marvel plans to treat it as the flagship of the franchise.
    I mean, that's fine

but it rings really hollow to announce Miles Morales as the Spider-Man one week and then reveal THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN starring Peter Parker as the "world's greatest superhero" the next week.

Like, even the titles create the implication. I know ASM is obviously a long-standing legacy but between "Spider-Man" and "The Amazing Spider-Man" which one sounds like it stars the more important character

Plus "Amazing Spider-Man" has been THE flagship Spider-Man book for almost the entirety of the character's run. In a lot of ways you may as well just call the Miles book "Second Best Guy" for long-term readers.

That seems like a massive stretch

if people like Miles, they'll buy that book

If they like Peter, they'll buy that book

If they like both, or neither, they'll spend accordingly

Miles has held a solo run by himself for a long while, I am sure he can do it again no problem
    No one is saying Miles can't hold a book or that he is doomed to fail

just that Marvel is having their cake and eating it too by pushing Miles as "the" Spider-Man one week and then also having Peter Parker running around the globe as Spider-Man, bodyguard to billionaire genius Peter Parker and the "world's greatest superhero"

It is really annoying to people who were looking forward to Miles being the Spider-Man in the MU with Peter as his mentor, as the original Spider-Man announcement sold it, only to have Peter running around as a bigger and more successful Spider-Man then ever before

I guess, like, don't read the Parker book then? Just read the Miles one? Enjoy that and let people who like the Peter book read that? There's no exclusivity here. There's no "only one true Spider-man at a time" deal. If people are aggravated, sure, but it kind of feels like hey, you've got a book that you really wanted, here's a book for other people who wanted that, just let them read that and be happy?

This is completely missing the point of what everyone is complaining about

No it isn't

People are upset that there is a Peter Parker book about him being this fantastic superhero while Miles gets a book about him being a fantastic superhero, because they feel that the Peter Parker book overshadows the role of Miles and makes him look second rate.

I get exactly what people's point is, here

I just don't agree with it
    Except they aren't about the same thing

Miles is the street level, learning the ropes stopping bank robberies Spider-Man book

Peter Parker is a billionaire genius who has turned Spider-Man, his Spider-Man, into the most popular hero in the world and is a bigger hero than ever before

Can you not see the kind of annoying thing here for those hoping that this would bring Miles to more prominence than ever before?

Like, even in his own universe he was at least only overshadowed by the memory of Peter Parker sometimes, now he is literally overshadowed by Peter Parker: The Amazing Spider-Man, World's Greatest Superhero

I can see that it's something that is annoying people, yeah

I just disagree about the validity of that
    So

you're saying you can understand how it is annoying people

but it isn't valid for them to be annoyed???

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like that the Jughead hat was pictured in all of the options

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I don't care about Miles Morales but that Peter Parker book is one of the very few that look like I'd enjoy them.

I don't see why people shouldn't get that book just because there is also a Miles Morales book.

Did anyone say that? I think people were more annoyed that the Peter Parker book makes the Miles Morales book superfluous

It dosen't make it superfluous, it maybe makes it seem less vital but that's up to the individual reader, I know which of the two I plan to read.

And the Miles book was announced first, lending credence to the idea that Marvel plans to treat it as the flagship of the franchise.
    I mean, that's fine

but it rings really hollow to announce Miles Morales as the Spider-Man one week and then reveal THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN starring Peter Parker as the "world's greatest superhero" the next week.

Like, even the titles create the implication. I know ASM is obviously a long-standing legacy but between "Spider-Man" and "The Amazing Spider-Man" which one sounds like it stars the more important character

Plus "Amazing Spider-Man" has been THE flagship Spider-Man book for almost the entirety of the character's run. In a lot of ways you may as well just call the Miles book "Second Best Guy" for long-term readers.

Miles has held a solo run by himself for a long while, I am sure he can do it again no problem

just that Marvel is having their cake and eating it too by pushing Miles as "the" Spider-Man one week and then also having Peter Parker running around the globe as Spider-Man, bodyguard to billionaire genius Peter Parker and the "world's greatest superhero"

It is really annoying to people who were looking forward to Miles being the Spider-Man in the MU with Peter as his mentor, as the original Spider-Man announcement sold it, only to have Peter running around as a bigger and more successful Spider-Man then ever before

I guess, like, don't read the Parker book then? Just read the Miles one? Enjoy that and let people who like the Peter book read that? There's no exclusivity here. There's no "only one true Spider-man at a time" deal. If people are aggravated, sure, but it kind of feels like hey, you've got a book that you really wanted, here's a book for other people who wanted that, just let them read that and be happy?

No it isn't

People are upset that there is a Peter Parker book about him being this fantastic superhero while Miles gets a book about him being a fantastic superhero, because they feel that the Peter Parker book overshadows the role of Miles and makes him look second rate.

Miles is the street level, learning the ropes stopping bank robberies Spider-Man book

Peter Parker is a billionaire genius who has turned Spider-Man, his Spider-Man, into the most popular hero in the world and is a bigger hero than ever before

Can you not see the kind of annoying thing here for those hoping that this would bring Miles to more prominence than ever before?

Like, even in his own universe he was at least only overshadowed by the memory of Peter Parker sometimes, now he is literally overshadowed by Peter Parker: The Amazing Spider-Man, World's Greatest Superhero

So

I don't think it's a reasonable complaint, sure

EDIT; because these people are not losing anything

they are still getting what they want

now someone else is also getting what they want so

that's... totally fine as far as I am concerned

Solar on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Solar, why are you looking forwards to the new Amazing Spider-Man run as opposed to the rest of Marvel's ANAD lineup? What makes it stand out for you?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

I mean, that's fine

No it isn't

So

Solar isnt allowed to be wrong

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Solar, why are you looking forwards to the new Amazing Spider-Man run as opposed to the rest of Marvel's ANAD lineup? What makes it stand out for you?

Well you see he's racist so
    I kid, <3

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I mean, that's fine

No it isn't

So

You're being kind of a goose here, BD

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I mean, that's fine

No it isn't

So

What exactly is unreasonable about it

Marvel announced Spider-Man, starring Miles Morales and saying it would bring him to the forefront of the Marvel universe and that he would be the Spider-Man

then they announced Amazing Spider-Man, starring Peter Parker saying it has Peter as the world's greatest superhero having turned Spider-Man into a global icon and is now living as a famous globe trotting billionaire with Slott outright saying "he is the greatest Spider-Man".

For those who were really excited for the first premise, how can you not think being annoyed at the reveal of the second is valid?

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I like that the Jughead hat was pictured in all of the options

I DIDN'T SEE THE PREVIEW IMAGE BEFORE OMG

i don't know which i love more, the sundae helmet or the inclusion of the "uh" in his tagline

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

I mean, that's fine

No it isn't

So

You're being kind of a goose here, BD

Yeah probably

Just tired of this song and dance every time we discuss comics in here

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    And by the way, for long term readers, Peter is actually Spider-Man, and Miles is Spider-Man II or whatever you want to call it

On account of the fact that Peter has been around for years and many people have grown up with those comics, cartoons or whatever

Miles is never going to just supplant him for these fans. That's not how being work. I like, I dunno, Sam Alexander! I think he's cool. But he's Nova II, and the original Nova for me is Richard Rider. Because I read those books first and loved the character. That's... okay, surely?

You also refuse to consider Jane to be the real Thor, so, grain of salt and all that because she's been accepted like crazy by the fan base.

Hey so, given past discussions and where they've gone

I don't want to talk about this comic or it's contents at all

so let's just drop that right now

It's the same argument you've been making for a while now. "This isn't the REAL (hero name) no one will accept it". Except that people have accepted it, because to most people being told so by the people creating the character is enough for them.

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

Peter Parker is a character who I am invested in, I guess

although, remember way back when, during Big Time? I was reading Spider-Man avidly, then

Anyway, back then, a lot of people (including myself) were saying that it would be really cool if Spider-Man could leave the whole fighting crime out of Aunt May's cellar behind and go on to the big leagues, using his tech and getting resources and becoming a global hero? And that would be cool! That's a new spin on an established character that I care about which seems to fit his story of recent years and work with his character and the development thereof

That's why the book stands out, it seems like so much more of a natural development of the character due to the time it's taken for Slott to take Peter there, and not just some rushed, haphazard, ooh look let's throw these characters together for a press release kind of deal.

• Options
    edited June 2015

I mean, that's fine

No it isn't

So

what is your beef, anyway

Solar on
  • Options
    i think we're all in agreement over one key fact thought

it better fucking not be a baseball cap though

• Options

I mean, that's fine

No it isn't

So

Marvel announced Spider-Man, starring Miles Morales and saying it would bring him to the forefront of the Marvel universe and that he would be the Spider-Man

then they announced Amazing Spider-Man, starring Peter Parker saying it has Peter as the world's greatest superhero having turned Spider-Man into a global icon and is now living as a famous globe trotting billionaire with Slott outright saying "he is the greatest Spider-Man".

For those who were really excited for the first premise, how can you not think being annoyed at the reveal of the second is valid?

Because I like the second release, and don't care about the first release, and some people have said the second release shouldn't happen to preserve the artistic integrity of the first release or some shit along those lines, and it's like hey

hey

read what you like

and let me read what I like

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

I mean, that's fine

No one is really arguing that a Peter Parker Spider-Man book shouldn't exist.

All this admonishment is for Marvel marketing Miles "Spider-Man" as the one true Spider-Man for popular culture and a passing of a mantle, when Marvel is explicitly NOT DOING THIS.
    I'm not sure how I feel about a Peter Spider-Man book.

Wait, no, that's a lie. I know what I feel about a Peter Spider-Man book. It's cheating.

You can't go, "HEY GUYS LOOK NEW OFFICIAL SPIDER-MAN IT'S AN AFRICAN AMERICAN-HISPANIC GUY PROGRESSIVE THIS IS THE NEW SPIDER-MAN OFFICIAL HE'S THE REAL DEAL MILES YA!", with an A+ team, and then go, "OH YEAH, by the way there will be a totally NORMAL Spider-Man book for everyone who dosen't want Miles as Spider-Man read this if you don't care about Miles!"

Especially written by Dan Slott and god knows where the hell he's taking that book.

It's a coward's move, a smart buisness decision, but a coward's move.

It's like the All-Male Ghostbuster's walkback in order to deal with the backlash of the All-Female Ghostbusters, or if you decided to push Captain Marvel and then decided to have a Captain Mar-Vell book for people who don't want to see a female Captain Marvel.

It's not like I DON'T want to see what Pete is up to Post-Secret Wars, nor do I think that having a book starring him is COMPLETLY a bad idea.

But at the very least don't pretend you're making Miles THE Spider-Man, when Peter Parker is still RIGHT THERE in his OWN GODDAMN BOOK with Spider-Man in the title with the dude who's been writing the mainline title the last 3 odd years.

You did!

Okay, I really don't want to sound like a dick because I like you Chincy, and I know I wrote a whole ton of words and at first glance it certainly seems that you are correct.

But this post was about my feelings about Peter Parker Spider-Man having a book, not arguing that Peter Parker SHOULDN'T have a book

The bolded stated as much.

And the last part of my post makes the point I have been making in this thread since.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hey you know the recent discussion of "what is dogpiling"

I'm pretty sure I can point to an example.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Like, the mistake you're making Solar is that people are mad at ASM for existing

If Marvel had announced them both at the same time and said HEY MILES IS GONNA BE THE STREET LEVEL SPIDER-MAN AND LEARN THE ROPES WITH THE ANAD AVENGERS AND PETER IS BASICALLY TONY STARK AND WORKING WITH THE UNCANNY AVENGERS then there would be way less of an issue here

It's the fact that they led with Miles becoming "the" Spider-Man only to reveal Peter's new role a week later that it is really frustrating

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

One of these days that's going to be 2 minutes of Celery Man and 10 minutes of sneak peek footage.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAFcEU6atk
    Personally I have decided I'm not seeing Ant-Man until I have confirmation that Tayne is in it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Has Paul Rudd been on Conan to promote Ant-Man yet?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Where the hell is this hat based preview, I can't find it

PSN- AHermano
  • Options

I mean, that's fine

No it isn't

So

Because I like the second release, and don't care about the first release, and some people have said the second release shouldn't happen to preserve the artistic integrity of the first release or some shit along those lines, and it's like hey

hey

read what you like

and let me read what I like
    I only think Transporter said that?

I said ideally I'd prefer it if Peter didn't have his own solo book ala Steve Rogers, but that isn't the same as NO ASM SHOULDN'T EXIST FUCK THAT BOOK

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Like, the mistake you're making Solar is that people are mad at ASM for existing

If Marvel had announced them both at the same time and said HEY MILES IS GONNA BE THE STREET LEVEL SPIDER-MAN AND LEARN THE ROPES WITH THE ANAD AVENGERS AND PETER IS BASICALLY TONY STARK AND WORKING WITH THE UNCANNY AVENGERS then there would be way less of an issue here

It's the fact that they led with Miles becoming "the" Spider-Man only to reveal Peter's new role a week later that it is really frustrating

Yeah no I am not making a mistake

you all seem mad at ASM for existing

and if you aren't, then express your feelings better, because that's how you all come off!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    look, at the end of the day, vote with your wallet on this stuff

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Actually I think it'd be kinda cool to have a "all the Spider-Man that's not Spider-Man" style book

and you can use Web of Spider-Man.

And it can star Peter Parker, and feature all the alt-folks, and even Venom and Toxin and hell Carnage because fuck it we'll do it live.

And you can have Peter Parker be the main character, and even have Miles and Silk and all the others show up aplenty.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Where the hell is this hat based preview, I can't find it

duc.jpg

Please let it be the Jughead Crown

• Options
    Hey you know the recent discussion of "what is dogpiling"

I'm pretty sure I can point to an example.

I trust the mods can tell the difference.

• Options

Thank you Blank.

This is what I've been stating since the beginning, execpt without the wall of words and feels.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I don't want to make this point at all

but it seems like people regular take a swing because I am so critical of Marvel's books these days

and that's fair or whatever

but the one book I actually like the look of

you all are mad about?

the fuck?

Solar on
  • Options

and if you aren't, then express your feelings better, because that's how you all come off!
    Literally the only two posts I can find saying ASM shouldn't exist are Transporter's and mine where I said I'd prefer Peter in a Steve Rogers role

everything else is you reading into shit dude, I explicitly said several times that the problem is the narrative they created by announcing Miles as Spider-Man first and then revealing Peter afterwards

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    THERE'S A DARTH VADER HELMET

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Amazing Spider-Man sounds interesting and I will probably check it out

It is still bad and contradictory marketing

call it Amazing Peter Parker and I don't think there's any problems

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

They're saying that the two names are too close together to easily distinguish that Miles is supposed to be THE Spider-Man, and that the existence of the book is fine but the title is problematic for what Marvel is trying to accomplish.

• Options

And now I have come to a realization that no one actually reads what I type, which is my fault, because I type alot of noise sometimes.

My entire issue is with marketing Miles as THE Spider-Man and then walking that back with the Amazing Spider-Man announcement. From my first post on the subject.

That is indeed alot of venom thrown in ASM's way.

But I assue you.

It's purely directed at Marvel.

• Options
    I don't want to make this point at all

but it seems like people regular take a swing because I am so critical of Marvel's books these days

and that's fair or whatever

but the one book I actually like the look of

you all are mad about?

the fuck?

The problem is that makes it sound like the decision to like or hate something has anything to do with what you like or don't.

I'm not 100% sure how to soften that blow.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'm just wildly unexcited for Parker as high tech global Spider-Man because it's going to lead to the same shit Stark does, there's no reason for him to be fighting global scale villains because that's what the Avengers are for, and I just don't think that Great Power/Great Responsibility works at the global level without him leveraging financial power to create positive political/ecological/sociological change and that's something that Marvel has historically handled fairly poorly and it's just going to lead to more Iron Man bullshit.

This discussion has been closed.