As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All-New, All-Different [Superhero Thread]: Howard the Duck gets a new hat!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I really haven't been down with like 90% of these covers and it's bumming me out a bit

Do not look at the Spider-woman cover.
    I really don't see the issue with it

She's pregant, and....?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I still can't get over this new hat Howard is going to get. I wonder what type it will be!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The identity of that lady is driving me nuts.

'course, so is trying to figure out what which fire dude is which.

It's hard to tell but Dante is much easier to spot when he's turned down the fire and looks more like a charcoal briquet.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Was it posted?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I really haven't been down with like 90% of these covers and it's bumming me out a bit

She's pregant, and....?

Her spine looks broken.

EDIT: I think it has a bit to do with the angle, but yeah, that looks like a 90 degree turn in her spine.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    He's flying so probably not Dante/Inferno

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    The identity of that lady is driving me nuts.

'course, so is trying to figure out what which fire dude is which.

It's hard to tell but Dante is much easier to spot when he's turned down the fire and looks more like a charcoal briquet.
    Dante can't fly so it isn't him

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TekwaKA.jpg
    I mean

She's arching her back a lot which pregnant ladies do a lot I think?

Other than that not really any problems I'm seeing unless you are just wholly against her being a mom

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015

She's pregant, and....?

And 80% of storylines about women revolve around either who they're dating, who they're married to, or when they're going to get pregnant.
    She gets her uniform (after completely leaving it out whenever she's not in her own book), and they immediately do a storyline about her getting pregnant? Pfffft To that.

Not against her being a mom. Mostly against them starting off the relaunched title with immediately jumping into her being pregnant.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Actually, looking at it more, it looks like below her breasts is in a complete profile and above that line it just switches to a 3/4th angle. It's starting to weird me out the more I look at it.

• Options
    Yeah that seems fine to me

I like the art style and the spine seems fine

Moreover, it isn't cluttered with a lot of useless nonsense like 88% of the other covers we've seen

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I am worried about potential crossover with writers who are doing a solo and a team book that feature the same characters.

Like, I plan on reading both Old Man Logan and Extraordinary X-Men under Lemire, so that's no problem. But I've never read any of G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel or Gerry Duggan's Deadpool, so I'm skeptical about whether I can read A-Force or Uncanny Avengers without stumbling over throwbacks and whatnot (plus I'm not sure I want to read Uncanny Avengers at all).

have you ever had to read Captain America or Iron Man or Thor to enjoy the regular Avengers book? I don't think so

When was the last time someone was writing both Avengers and then one of those three solo books?

It seems like the trend is, when someone is writing two books with the same characters concurrently, crossovers happen or the events become intertwined.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Knowing very little about Spider-Woman and looking at that cover as a fresh reader...

I really like it. I think she looks great and I sort of wanna read it.

• Options

She's pregant, and....?

And 80% of storylines about women revolve around either who they're dating, who they're married to, or when they're going to get pregnant.
    She gets her uniform (after completely leaving it out whenever she's not in her own book), and they immediately do a storyline about her getting pregnant? Pfffft To that.

Not against her being a mom. Mostly against them starting off the relaunched title with immediately jumping into her being pregnant.

"When they're going to get pregnant" isn't close to the same thing as actually being pregnant

It's especially rare to have an active superhero be pregnant too (unheard of, maybe???)

Media likes to make women invisible or off camera during pregnancy

Having her be pregnant while kicking some ass is actually a substantial deviation from the norm

This does not fall into any tropes, at least none that I'm aware of

• Options

She's pregant, and....?

I mean

I'm probably gonna wait to read the story before I write it off? I agree that there are a lot of stories about women being mothers but every other female solo book in the relaunch isn't about that, it seems? Or any books at all, really.

Spider-Woman has been absolutely fantastic and has had female agency and empowerment as a major theme so I'm giving Hopeless the benefit of the doubt

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Guys now that I said it I really want to see the ANXM drive around solving mysteries

But it'll never happen, primarily because it's too beautiful for this world, but also because not everyone has my dumb proclivities

• Options
    I am worried about potential crossover with writers who are doing a solo and a team book that feature the same characters.

Like, I plan on reading both Old Man Logan and Extraordinary X-Men under Lemire, so that's no problem. But I've never read any of G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel or Gerry Duggan's Deadpool, so I'm skeptical about whether I can read A-Force or Uncanny Avengers without stumbling over throwbacks and whatnot (plus I'm not sure I want to read Uncanny Avengers at all).

have you ever had to read Captain America or Iron Man or Thor to enjoy the regular Avengers book? I don't think so

When was the last time someone was writing both Avengers and then one of those three solo books?

It seems like the trend is, when someone is writing two books with the same characters concurrently, crossovers happen or the events become intertwined.
    Rick Remender on Captain America and Uncanny Avengers

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

She's pregant, and....?

"When they're going to get pregnant" isn't close to the same thing as actually being pregnant

It's especially rare to have an active superhero be pregnant too (unheard of, maybe???)

Having her be pregnant while kicking some ass is actually a substantial deviation from the norm

Less of a meta-trope, more of a Marvel trope. They have had active superheroes get pregnant before, but it tended to more or less mark an end point of their careers as heroes or be endemic of a serious problem with the writers.

I'll fully admit it might just be me being very leery of Marvel approaching yet another female hero getting pregnant.

• Options
    Well, we of course can't say for the writing yet

But this is right at the beginning of a new series, so I wouldn't call it the end of her career, unless the whole thing flops, and even then they're likely to bring her back in some form.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

She's pregant, and....?

Less of a meta-trope, more of a Marvel trope. They have had active superheroes get pregnant before, but it tended to more or less mark an end point of their careers as heroes or be endemic of a serious problem with the writers.

I'll fully admit it might just be me being very leery of Marvel approaching yet another female hero getting pregnant.

Definitely doesn't seem like they're marking this as the end of Spider-Woman's career, here. They're clearly setting her up to be an active hero while she's a mother, which is something that's not been super common in superhero comics

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Do we know the status of the solo Squirrel Girl book yet ?

• Options
    Well, we of course can't say for the writing yet

But this is right at the beginning of a new series, so I wouldn't call it the end of her career, unless the whole thing flops, and even then they're likely to bring her back in some form.

She's pregant, and....?

Definitely doesn't seem like they're marking this as the end of Spider-Woman's career, here. They're clearly setting her up to be an active hero while she's a mother, which is something that's not been super common in superhero comics

I agree and if it's done well I'm all for it.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I do have to say that it's really weird to not see a monstrously large and singular Avengers line-up for the first time in years and years and years. Maybe part of why this is so off-putting is because the Marvel U has felt so sprawling and cohesive for years, and this feels like it's reigning things back a little to try and create a diverse and more targeted lineup.

Sure, there are a ton of Avengers teams that make up the greater Marvel U, but they all seem catered toward specific tastes, and I'm not expecting most of them to make it past 12 issues or so.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So

The baby cant be hawkeyes right, or else they would mention it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Personally, I'm not likely to read the book. I might buy it to support the thing if it reviews well, but violence towards pregnant women isn't something I can handle very well. It would not be an enjoyable read, almost regardless of anything else.

• Options
    edited June 2015

Nope, this is everything we know so far
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/32882335/#Comment_32882335

She's apparently going to show up in New Avengers.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I honestly don't know why anyone at Marvel would he surprised this leak happened

You ship a magazine to every comic shop in the nation that is nothing but book announcements for your big relaunch and of course someone is gonna scan it all

Probably a little surprised that Bleeding Cool posted every single one all day long

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I can't imagine they are surprised, to be honest.

• Options
    I honestly don't know why anyone at Marvel would he surprised this leak happened

You ship a magazine to every comic shop in the nation that is nothing but book announcements for your big relaunch and of course someone is gonna scan it all

Probably a little surprised that Bleeding Cool posted every single one all day long

Is Marvel surprised? I mean, like you said, it's pretty obvious this would happen, and its getting the message out regardless.

Like, Bleeding Cool is basically doing free advertising for them and is getting the news out to way more people. I think Marvel would be stoked, not surprised.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the one odd thing about Jessica Drew becoming a mother is I seem to recall not liking children and not wanting to have children being a character trait she's displayed before

• Options
    the one odd thing about Jessica Drew becoming a mother is I seem to recall not liking children and not wanting to have children being a character trait she's displayed before

I'm guessing it wasn't a planned pregnancy.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Man these covers look ugly as hell for the most part.

Also, crushed it will never not be a funny phrase to me.

• Options

Nope, this is everything we know so far
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/32882335/#Comment_32882335

She's apparently going to show up in New Avengers.

I hope they continue her book...I find I prefer reading individual character focused books more than teams. This just seems like a shit ton of team based comics and you have to think a fair amount are going to get lost in the shuffle early on.

• Options
    Yup! She is also super sloppy and irresponsible in terms of her quality of living (like eating cereal out of an old 7-11 cup she dumped out with a dirty spoon) in the previous volume

So her being a mom sounds like a pretty big shift for the character, one that could be really entertaining and interesting

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

still though, the question would be why she would choose to carry the pregnancy to term

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I'm totally on board with Camuncoli for Spider-Man

I refuse to believe that was Stegman on that UA preview

Fuck Deadpool

Dan Slott plz go away

I'm kind of underwhelmed with most of the books that have leaked.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options

still though, the question would be why she would choose to carry the pregnancy to term

Maybe she doesn't believe in abortion? Or just couldn't bring herself to do it?

• Options
    I'm excited for Daredevil. I've never read anything of the character but I loved the lawyer side of Soule's She-Hulk so it sounds perfect for me.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

there are like, a billion possible reasons for someone, even someone who has expressed doubts about having children, to carry a pregnancy to term

This discussion has been closed.