As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] This thread was punched into oblivion, post in the new one

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Interestingly, Bruce Timm said in an interview that he intentionally made the Gods and Monsters short with Harley Quinn to be unpleasant and shocking in response to some incarnations of the character that he found to be distasteful. It kind of implies that he doesn't like the New 52 version of Harley, which makes me wonder about that comment he made about the Suicide Squad version of Harley. Although, I believe he said that he liked Margot Robbie, not necessarily that version of Harley.

So on some level it seems like Gods and Monsters is Bruce Timm slyly giving DC/WB a lesson on how to do darker and edgier right. Especially since he has always tried to play nice and never openly criticized any of WB/DC idiotic decisions even when it was obvious that he wasn't happy, unlike some other DCAU people, Paul Dini in particular.

I'm optimistic about Suicide Squad's Harley from the trailers. Apart from the costume, which I'm getting used to, they've made her enjoyable to watch.

I haven't seen enough to cast my judgement yet; so far she just seems like a cosplayer.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Interestingly, Bruce Timm said in an interview that he intentionally made the Gods and Monsters short with Harley Quinn to be unpleasant and shocking in response to some incarnations of the character that he found to be distasteful. It kind of implies that he doesn't like the New 52 version of Harley, which makes me wonder about that comment he made about the Suicide Squad version of Harley. Although, I believe he said that he liked Margot Robbie, not necessarily that version of Harley.

So on some level it seems like Gods and Monsters is Bruce Timm slyly giving DC/WB a lesson on how to do darker and edgier right. Especially since he has always tried to play nice and never openly criticized any of WB/DC idiotic decisions even when it was obvious that he wasn't happy, unlike some other DCAU people, Paul Dini in particular.
    You know the best thing about Gods and Monsters? They're still the right goddamn characters. SuperZod is still, undeniably the Man of Steel.
    Yeah, he was raised by migrant Mexican farmhands and got a sterner, upbringing, but he's still absolutely doing what he thinks is the right thing.

Batman is still the cleverest sleuth. Wonder Woman is still a warrior paragon.

As far as I'm concerned it's a master class on how to interpret an alternative universe. The characters are both radically different and still inherently the same. It's wonderful.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The characters are the same. The people are different.

• Options
    KherusKherus Registered User regular
    If there was a kickstarter for another Bruce Timm continuous animated series, I think the initial payments would rival the budgets of some small countries.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Isn't there going to be 10 more Gods And Monsters episodes coming Machinima sometime next year?

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    New images! Batman waiting to kick Superman's ass!

batsignal.jpg

Superman in the burnt-out Wayne manor!

super-wayne-manor.jpg

And Lex Luthor in a corporate basketball court!

Lex.jpg

...well, I guess that means one scene will have actual color in it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That LexCorp logo looks photoshopped, and also makes no sense as positioned because they could have raised it up six inches and it wouldn't be drooping over the top rail.

And here's a little bit of information that makes sense, movie spoilers
    the asian lady who was Luthor's assistant in the trailer is apparently Mercy, the Amazon bodyguard Luthor has/had in the comics and cartoon. But no Hope I guess. So there's how you fit WW into having a fight while Bat and Supes fight Doomsday.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That LexCorp logo looks photoshopped, and also makes no sense as positioned because they could have raised it up six inches and it wouldn't be drooping over the top rail.

And here's a little bit of information that makes sense, movie spoilers
    the asian lady who was Luthor's assistant in the trailer is apparently Mercy, the Amazon bodyguard Luthor has/had in the comics and cartoon. But no Hope I guess. So there's how you fit WW into having a fight while Bat and Supes fight Doomsday.
    That's Tao Okamoto, she was Mariko in The Wolverine - her first acting job. She's great as Lady Chiyo in Hannibal.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Those images remind me how bad the Superman suit looks. Of any hero, Superman does not need an engraved six-pack.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Lex.jpg

LexCourt

• Options
    Those images remind me how bad the Superman suit looks. Of any hero, Superman does not need an engraved six-pack.

It looks like a video-game.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    is he the president of NewVegas?

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    is he the president of NewVegas?

Lex Vegas.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy crap that's a lot of fluorescent to break when a basketball goes the wrong way.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I like 'em

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Why is Superman angry at the camera man? Camera man is not Batman.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Holy crap that's a lot of fluorescent to break when a basketball goes the wrong way.
    If that's the sign inside the building; I can only imagine the sign outside.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Steve Trevor has been cast.

http://www.thewrap.com/chris-pine-closes-deal-to-star-opposite-gal-gadot-in-wonder-woman-exclusive/
    Chris Pine has closed a deal to play Steve Trevor opposite Gal Gadot in “Wonder Woman,” TheWrap has learned. Pine joins the DC Movie Universe in a multi-picture deal that includes sequel options, according to insiders.
    A representative for Warner Bros. did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
    Steve Trevor will be no mere love interest for Gadot’s Diana Prince, as there will be plenty of action to keep him busy, though plot details remain under wraps.

star-trek-2-chris-pine_288x288.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Solid choice. As long as he shaves his head for the role because I don't see movie Steve Trevor as pretty boy soldier with highlights.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Are you sure?

• Options
    I like 'em

This post lacks the right levels of snark and pessimism required for a DC movies discussion.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Why is Superman angry at the camera man?

Superman's learning from his mistakes. This time, he's making sure there will be no witnesses.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I like 'em

This post lacks the right levels of snark and pessimism required for a DC movies discussion.

*huff* *huff*, I *huff* ran over here *huff* as soon as I heard...

Lex.jpg

Wow! its like the pages of the comic books have come to life right before my eyes!
    Sarcasm works right?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Actually the quoted image captures the spirit of comics perfectly, in all its cool but impractical audacity.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    hah! I like lex luthor imagined as a mark zuckerberg twerp

• Options
    Brutal J wrote: »
    I like 'em

Lex.jpg

Wow! its like the pages of the comic books have come to life right before my eyes!
    Sarcasm works right?

Seriously, that picture makes these DC movies look colorful and silly. Why can't they be more dark and serious?

post.png
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    I like 'em

Lex.jpg

Sarcasm works right?

Seriously, that picture makes these DC movies look colorful and silly. Why can't they be more dark and serious?

I'm just going to assume this is snark related to the idea that this movie takes place in one of the universes where the good guys are the bad guys and the bad guys are the good guys.

Cause yeah, it'll totally work there, or maybe all the marketing is lies, and this is some silver age inspired wackiness where Lex challenges Superman to a game of basketball and it turns into reverse Space Jam.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Are you sure?

Twist: the movie ends like Duck Amuck:

hqdefault.jpg

Only with Batman instead of Bugs Bunny.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Is this also the right place to discuss Gods and Monsters? I've watched the shorts and about half of the film, and I like the different, darker take on these characters (although that's not entirely new), but what I definitely mind (in any kind of storytelling) is this underlying notion that genetics are destiny: Superman is a harder man, less giving and less willing to sacrifice himself, because he's the son of General Zod in this what-if scenario. It's not as bad as it could be (he's not outright evil, though he tends towards the fascist), and I'm hoping that this'll only be one element of several, but it's a motif that I find grating.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    They deal with it by the end of the film. And it's far more
    optimistic than you'd expect.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Solid choice. As long as he shaves his head for the role because I don't see movie Steve Trevor as pretty boy soldier with highlights.
    Uh, you're not really familiar with Steve Trevor, then.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Lex.jpg

LexCourt

starring LeBron James

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Is this also the right place to discuss Gods and Monsters? I've watched the shorts and about half of the film, and I like the different, darker take on these characters (although that's not entirely new), but what I definitely mind (in any kind of storytelling) is this underlying notion that genetics are destiny: Superman is a harder man, less giving and less willing to sacrifice himself, because he's the son of General Zod in this what-if scenario. It's not as bad as it could be (he's not outright evil, though he tends towards the fascist), and I'm hoping that this'll only be one element of several, but it's a motif that I find grating.

Errr.....his upbringing is very different too.
    He was raised by illegal latino immigrants rather than self sufficient farm owning white midwesterners. You can view it as all genetics if you want but if you think about it, white dude from middle class Kansas is shown a much nicer and idealistic childhood/America than poor hispanic guy is not very much of a stress.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DevoutlyApathetic:
    As I've mentioned, I've only watched about half so far. Do Superman's (foster) parents figure more prominently further into the movie?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DevoutlyApathetic:
    As I've mentioned, I've only watched about half so far. Do Superman's (foster) parents figure more prominently further into the movie?

Nope, I assumed they were dead tbh.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    DevoutlyApathetic:

Not that I remember though after the opening area all three of the superheroes act with a bit more depth than in the establishing act.

There is a fair amount of "Superman and his search for his past" thing but that's a pretty classic Superman theme.

I'd really suggest finishing it up, I don't really think you'd end up disappointed by it even with what you've said.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Oh, I enjoyed it so far (in spite of not being all that much into superhero comics in general and DC in particular) and I'll definitely finish it. Anyway, the "genetics is destiny" trope isn't foregrounded, added to which it's probably quite prevalent in the medium and in a lot of genre fiction, so it doesn't ruin things for me. I just prefer to see it subverted or at least made more complex than that; I have a similar dislike for fictional good guys who surprisingly turn out to be the offspring of some dead, revered noble figure, the implicit reason being, "Well, he's So-and-so's son, *obviously* he's born to lead us to freedom and victory!"

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I never got the implication that he was the way he was because of genetics but because of his life experiences. He's had to kill before because he probably hasn't led a shielded life and he hangs out with people who kill quite happily as well (but he doesn't arbitrarily kill innocents), he doesn't believe in the American dream as much and is fed up with being used and abused by society so concludes that it may be better to just lead them to get past all the petty stuff. Palmer comes up with the same conclusion and he isn't Zod's son.

The genetics thing also ignores that he is his mother's son as well.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm hopeful that this movie will turn into something actually good. My biggest complaint of the first movie was the destruction and the make out session on the destruction. At least one of them looks to be addressed directly.

If this movie directly deals with Superman understanding the consequences of his immense power and leveling part of the city and then help maneuver him to become a better hero, it will possibly retroactively make me dislike the destruction less. It seems that is what's happening and I'm all for it. Batman being in the city when the Zod fight happened gives a good reason for him to take up being Batman again.

The most recent trailer is the first one that got me pretty excited to see what they are planning with this movie.

Also, while she is not Jaimie Alexander, Gadot looks like she'll be a decent Diana.

Edit: Suicide Squad, on the other hand, looks kinda terrible still. The only part that interests me is seeing how they portray the first live action version of Harley. The actress they picked for her is kinda perfect. The one shot of Leto as Joker gives me mixed feelings. He sounds the part, but he still looks extremely stupid.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I never got the implication that he was the way he was because of genetics but because of his life experiences. He's had to kill before because he probably hasn't led a shielded life and he hangs out with people who kill quite happily as well (but he doesn't arbitrarily kill innocents), he doesn't believe in the American dream as much and is fed up with being used and abused by society so concludes that it may be better to just lead them to get past all the petty stuff. Palmer comes up with the same conclusion and he isn't Zod's son.
    So why even make him Zod's son? The film starts with this, so it's likely to be relevant (beyond "So he can have a snazzy threatening goatee"). It's definitely given more weight in the film than his immigrant foster parents.

As I said, it's not egregious in that respect, and I don't want to overstate the point (although I may already have done so), but the implication is definitely there: he's Zod's son in more than just a literal way. (Barring surprise plot developments in the second half.)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't know, he admits pretty early on that maybe it's not such a bad idea to break out the boot and bring the world to heel. I don't think he'd get that attitude from migrant farmers who likely know full well what it's like to be downtrodden and marginalized.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."