As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] RIP Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited July 2015 in Social Entropy++
iwatabow-1.jpg

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    so let's actually look at the yokai watch 3 trailer for a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGQgO7BDs1A

I hate to break it to people hoping for american cyptids or folk heroes or whatever from youkai watch, but if you watch that trailer you'll get a sense for the kind of monster design they're going for and it's not that. It's more "things we think of as american, personified as monsters!"

Some cultural ideas that japan probably associates with the USA, based on their being used as themes for monsters:

-corn
    -hot air balloons
    -chickens
    -maracas and dancing?
    -that preppy/nautical way of wearing a sweater over your back like a cape
    -wearing your jeans halfway down your legs
    -boxing
    -baseball
    -afros
    -elton john??? 70s pop stars in general I guess?
    -rudolf the red-nosed reindeer
    -film noir detectives
    -blond little girls
    -lemonade
    -minnie mouse's outfit
    -blond little girl dolls
    -alligators
    -the american stereotype of australians where they look like crocodile dundee (this one is my favorite)
    -cheerleaders
    -dinosaurs
    -fairy godmothers
    -sea explorers ala columbus
    -american-style birthday parties
    -steaks
    -caped superheroes
    -delicious, delicious hamburgers
    -cars
    -bacon
    -1920s-style newspaper reporters

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I mean

Fair enough, Japan

• Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    I do not believe you are Mr. Iwata, you have a G in your name. This is all a lie.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Was someone asking about Devil's Third in the last thread? There was a new video today. It's all in japanese, but there's a bunch of in-game footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ked9LPANFko&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqyFfhMv20

Someone is gonna get curbstomped.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like in most other "monster" games the designs feel forced or lacking creativity. I think Pokemon has such legs because they're rooted in a blend of real-life animals and various mythologies or cultural concepts.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i dunno i think pokemon has really not impressed except for the rare design over the past few generations

like yeah you get one or two standouts that people love but a lot of the new designs are extremely forgettable

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I think a lot of the old designs were only memorable because they came first

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I do not believe you are Mr. Iwata, you have a G in your name. This is all a lie.

Pleage Understand.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I think a lot of the old designs were only memorable because they came first

i also think this is true

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    oof, it is hard to watch footage of Itagaki

the man looks like...some kind of dried fruit. Although maybe the weird basement lighting isn't helping??

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    pokemon designs are good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hello Nintendo thread I like Nintendo

Even if I feel like all of their output this year has been completely underwhelming

But I have a feeling Woolly World will turn it around, as well as whatever fall game they have planned

Because, they have one

Hopefully they have one big non-Star Fox non-Mario Maker title or else it's gonna be a depressing year for my Wii U

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    pokemon designs are good

Tal did you know that I don't know how to pronounce "Yveltal" so I pronounce it as "evil Tal"

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I was talking about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon yesterday

Guys how fucking crazy is Mystery Dungeon

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I feel like in most other "monster" games the designs feel forced or lacking creativity. I think Pokemon has such legs because they're rooted in a blend of real-life animals and various mythologies or cultural concepts.

The exceptions, of course, are Megami Tensei and Dragon Quest: Monsters

Which are in some ways almost more creative with their monster choices than Pokémon

• Options
    edited June 2015
    -Tal wrote: »
    pokemon designs are good

Tal did you know that I don't know how to pronounce "Yveltal" so I pronounce it as "evil Tal"

yvel is, in fact, an ancient spelling of evil

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

the original mystery dungeon series or the pokemon mystery dungeon series
    don't know about the former but god the latter is so good

• Options
    Randomly generated dungeon game where you play as pokemon is such a great concept

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I tried Shiren the Wanderer for DS and couldn't get into it

• Options
    you should start with Torneko no Daibōken: Fushigi no Dungeon

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    If I can't pronounce a game's title I have no business playing it

• Options
    try the sequel, Torneko: The Last Hope, and its sequel, Star Ocean: The Last Hope

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

I played Red Rescue Team and Explorers of Time and they were both super fun. I hope Super Mystery Dungeon turns out well since I heard Gates to Infinity made some bad design choices but Super is bringing back tons of starter pokemon and a full pokedex so I have high hopes.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I actually own that Torneko game. Its fucking hard.

I have no idea how I ended up owning that thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Gates was all unova pokemon which seems dumb

Not a fan of limiting me to only starters, pikachu, and riolu though

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    i dunno i think pokemon has really not impressed except for the rare design over the past few generations

like yeah you get one or two standouts that people love but a lot of the new designs are extremely forgettable

People have been saying this since Gen 1.The fact is I could get 700 odd kids in a room and theyd likely all have a different favorite pokemon from various generations. I mean I know for a fact people on this very forum love Vanilluxe.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Gates was all unova pokemon which seems dumb

Not a fan of limiting me to only starters, pikachu, and riolu though

Yeah, one of my favorite memories of Red Rescue team was going through a playthrough as Skitty and making it work despite being saddled with normalize. Though I've come to accept that as we move through the generations we're going to get less and less non-starters since starters are basically mandatory.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular

People have been saying this since Gen 1.The fact is I could get 700 odd kids in a room and theyd likely all have a different favorite pokemon from various generations. I mean I know for a fact people on this very love Vanilluxe.

I am one of these people

• Options
    Who could hate Vanilluxe

Who hates ice cream

The answer is nobody

• Options
    Well technically they're icicles.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Who could hate Vanilluxe

Who hates ice cream

The answer is nobody

Yo.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ross hates ice cream.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I am left with 415 coins on my Nintendo club account and I am at a loss what to get

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    What does fruit do in Mario puzzdrag? Just had some drop

• Options
    I just went through the new AM2R demo and wow there is some really cool stuff in there. Not just the Zeta Metroids but all the new stuff added to the tower area.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I only dislike the Vanil* Pokemon line because I personally believe that all inanimate object pokemon should be ghost pokemon and thus those ice creams' typing should be ghost/ice.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    BugBoy wrote: »

People have been saying this since Gen 1.The fact is I could get 700 odd kids in a room and theyd likely all have a different favorite pokemon from various generations. I mean I know for a fact people on this very love Vanilluxe.

I am one of these people

Bugboy I almost @'ed you specifcally because your views on things like this are almost alien to me.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I only dislike the Vanil* Pokemon line because I personally believe that all inanimate object pokemon should be ghost pokemon and thus those ice creams' typing should be ghost/ice.

what about geodude, or porygon, or voltorb, or magnemite, or bronzong, or...

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.